Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

+41
itsy
erwtenpeller
Salketh
Dorik Thunderbelly
Gesh
Thygore
Shaelyssa
Morinth
Krogon Devilstep
Kettin
Yarnaat
Attum
Tollir
Melnerag
Skarain
Grufftoof
Lini
Frostfeather
Skaraa
Vaell
Seranita
Ledgic
Magaskawee/Anaei
Drustai
Timna
Thelos
Valestrion
Valerias
Osuun
Lexgrad
Odgan / Keag
Jeanpierre
Muzjhath
Lorainne/Bridlington
Coppersocket
Amaryl
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Kristeas Sunbinder
Gahalla
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Ralegh
45 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions. - Page 4 Empty Re: Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

Post by Morinth Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:33 am

I always pronounced it Bah-rin, like I've heard it... everywhere. Guess it's just you crazy people and your weird ass dialects.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions. - Page 4 Empty Re: Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:28 am

I had a rather humorous thought, I just killed a level 40 Elemental called Whrrrl, he said, "How dare you call upon a lord of Skywall."

I know we're 'as powerful as we are' by lore the whole way through the leveling process. And we kill dungeon bosses that are lords and are level 15 just because of Game Mechanics..

But do you think some quest targets lie? Just to make themselves seem tough? I love the idea that Commander Death of the LEgion of Doom (example) is actually just a disgruntled Private of another legion of doom who got butthurt and gave himself a grand title, yet he's inept and easy to slay. xD
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Thygore Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:56 am

Anaei/Magaskawee wrote:I had a rather humorous thought, I just killed a level 40 Elemental called Whrrrl, he said, "How dare you call upon a lord of Skywall."

I know we're 'as powerful as we are' by lore the whole way through the leveling process. And we kill dungeon bosses that are lords and are level 15 just because of Game Mechanics..

But do you think some quest targets lie? Just to make themselves seem tough? I love the idea that Commander Death of the LEgion of Doom (example) is actually just a disgruntled Private of another legion of doom who got butthurt and gave himself a grand title, yet he's inept and easy to slay. xD
I'd like to think that these type of villians also exist, yes. Very Happy It's only a matter of imagination, or if said NPC grips you enough to add some minor background in mind.
Thygore
Thygore

Character sheet
Name: Thygore Cloudchaser
Title: Apprentice druid

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:08 pm

I tend to picture fighting bosses and even the ocassional mob, as being a rather epic battle. When you play a rogue you can't really picture them performing the same move after move on the same target, it's different for casters, spells exist!

of course we have things like techniques and tactics, sneaking around, ambushing, all that.

But I bet Victoria fights a whole lot differently to how from a game mechanics view a rogue would, to compare I imagine her in Skyrim.

If she was faced with a room full of guards, she'd cling to the shadow, pick a few off silently and when the last few were proving difficult, she would do noisey kills to cause confusion and panic, fear y'know.

Finally ending the last guards life with an open sprint and spin of her blades. She would play to her strengths.

Now when it came to a battlefield, obviously a rogue in concept would struggle. But she would sprint across the out-skirts off the field, use the terrain, pick off those fleeing, or casters staying behind, removing targets of moral or strength, public executions amidst the carnage to cause chaos in the middle of enemy troops.

Now with an elemental, where a mage might just blast the living wind out of the construct, Victoria would end up sprinting behind cover, dodging, looking for an opening and when she sees one, leap in and plant her daggers in the physical heart of the elemental.

That kinda of thing is what makes me enjoy playing more, ' simple ' classes, where things aren't so flashy and supernatural, just a skillful soldier who knows how to do there duty.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:42 pm

Priest Questions:

-What is the "Discipline" tree ICly

-Can Shadow Priests only use shadow magic?

-Nelf Priests. What are they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lini Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Perturbo wrote:Priest Questions:

I've always viewed the discipline tree as a path of priesthood that focuses more on meditation and mental discipline (hence the name) as opposed to the "brute force" approach of holy and shadow trees. Finesse compared to sheer power, if you will.

Short answer: Yes.
I'm sure someone will gladly provide a longer answer. Although I do consider some spell in the discipline tree to be neutral on a light-shadow axis.

Priests of Elune. They tap to the power of Light (not to be confused with the religion/philosophy humans/dwarves/etc follow) through their faith in Elune.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:16 pm

The Discipline tree strikes me as a very... well, flagellant/penitent tree. It's very much about maintaining your faith in spite of immense hardships, and the willingness to endure great pain and suffering in order to purify the soul.

Holy is about helping others without any thought of reward. Discipline is about self-sacrifice and atonement. And Shadow obviously is about selfishness.

... yes and no. Technically, holy magic is the 'sin' of Shadow (and vice versa). Therefore, it typically doesn't make sense for a shadow user to use holy. On the other hand, few if any lore sources seem to uphold this distinction to such a strict, binary level.

Therefore, it is possible that a Shadow user could use Holy (or a Holy user use Shadow). However, such a thing should usually be considered quite a sin for the faith, and require some form of penitence to make up for it.

Priests of the Holy Light who don't realize that Elune is a Naaru. :3

I'll let the Night Elves answer this one. xD

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:04 am

I have a question.. a draenei related one..
1, they were an advanced race possibly even space faring beffor the liegion decimated there homeworld
2, they travelled in masive hulking ships provided by naarue

thus.. is it possible there could be still argus teck laying around and as such can one utelise small possibly smuggles items for use in game Like lets say you have a wand ooc but that is actualy an arm wepon from the former miletary not to dissimiler to an arm banded pistol of sorts.. naturaly laser light or in the wow univers that would be an arcaneic light shot
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorik Thunderbelly Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:31 am

Monrena wrote: Is it possible there could be still argus teck laying around and as such can one utelise small possibly smuggles items for use in game Like lets say you have a wand ooc but that is actualy an arm wepon from the former miletary not to dissimiler to an arm banded pistol of sorts.. naturaly laser light or in the wow univers that would be an arcaneic light shot

The Naaru gifted the eredar with the sacred ata'mal crystals, which enhance their intellect and help them unravel the mysteries of the universe. A lot of their stuff can be found in the game already, crystaline swords and hammers, as well as some sort of gun you describe: http://www.wowhead.com/item=30758
When making up your own items, I'd say compare them a bit with the Protoss from Starcraft.
Dorik Thunderbelly
Dorik Thunderbelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:39 am

ahhh cheers just the sort of answer I was looking for

(edit) ps this is a good thing for me because ic'ly monny has always been a tinkerer/engeneer even befffor the doomed flight of exodus.. as such she will know how to utelise and manipulate such teck as it is readily avalable to them from various sources
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostfeather Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 pm

A game mechanically abomination that should never have been allowed but the kaldorei priestesses are another matter.

From wowpedia:
The elite, night elf clergy are made up of these worthy women. The priestesses of the moon epitomize the power and grace of their race's ancient moon goddess, Elune. The priestesses of the moon, equipped with silvery, glowing armor, ride the fearless Winterspring Frostsabers into battle. Charged with the safekeeping of the night elf lands and armed with magical energy bows — the priestesses of the moon will stop at nothing to rid their ancient land of evil.

Valuable as healers during wartime, priestesses of the moon can also use their divine magic spells to hinder or harm the enemy. They are also inspirational leaders and excellent archers. Priestesses of the moon often keep to the rear, protecting the wounded with ranged weapons. Guided by Elune, priestesses of the moon serve as a morale boost for troops, assuring them that they will be healed, protected for or, at worst, blessed during their final journey.
Frostfeather
Frostfeather

Character sheet
Name: Khalida Frostfeather
Title: Sentinel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Has the varieties in human skin tone ever been mentioned or discussed in lore? Has anyone come across it in roleplay? perhaps even seen racism used in character?

I know we've cooked up a few bits of lore on Tanarisi's and all that jazz, that's pretty cool.

Just thinking if I should make my Scarlet of darker skin tone, so far all my female toons have been of fair or pale skin, couldn't hurt.

Oh and this is The Scarlet, I'm refering to.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Answer. Yes. My second and still longest running to toon chareshia was constantly singles out due to her accent and skin tone being from stranglethorn ic
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Vec wrote:Has the varieties in human skin tone ever been mentioned or discussed in lore? Has anyone come across it in roleplay? perhaps even seen racism used in character?

Have seen it used in-character many times. Primarily in the Cartel, since we have lots of Tanarisi.

Also, several people have accused Saphra of being southern because of her dark skin, since Gilneans normally have pale skin according to lore. Which is, by the way, why I've talked to you about the southern influence in the Emberstone family a few times, since that would explain Saph's skintone.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Perhaps it comes down to more mannerisms and culture? I mean, I've seen players playing darker skin tones perfectly " Stormwindian " and it's been treated as the norm, whilst I've seen pale folk talking like trolls being singled out.

I suppose it depends on the player really, and yes. Altered it in the family forum, but I still wanna have a good long chat with you and Mikhael, so we can finalise things and I'm not making all the decisions for all our characters! Smile

Thinkin' I might make my scarlet of darker skin, with the Azeroth version of Caribbean descent, at least in her appearance.

Examples.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A bit of a shame WOW doesn't really off ringlet hair options!

Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Salketh Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 am

Vec wrote:Perhaps it comes down to more mannerisms and culture? I mean, I've seen players playing darker skin tones perfectly " Stormwindian " and it's been treated as the norm, whilst I've seen pale folk talking like trolls being singled out.

I suppose it depends on the player really, and yes. Altered it in the family forum, but I still wanna have a good long chat with you and Mikhael, so we can finalise things and I'm not making all the decisions for all our characters! Smile

Thinkin' I might make my scarlet of darker skin, with the Azeroth version of Caribbean descent, at least in her appearance.

Examples.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

A bit of a shame WOW doesn't really off ringlet hair options!

The third lady .. Hubba hubba *Drools*

My question is this. Troll Druids. Do they draw their power from nature the same as Tauren/Elf druids do?
Salketh
Salketh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 am

To my knowledge.... that (some person) who introduced Druidism to Trolls taught that they can lend power of multiple Loa and spirits instead of a single one, explaining Druidism to trolls in a way that they can understand.

So...Druid draw or lend their power from various spirits in the nature and/or from various Loa spirits.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Thought I'd ask here instead of the MoP thread.

Non-pandaren monks. Once the expansion launches, how long have they been trained? Is the first week of the expansion litterally the first week of training for a human monk?

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Human monks do exist in game (as do their undead counterparts) within the Scarlet Crusade.

I guess it depends how those monks are seen. The Templars were a Holy Order afterall, and therefore monks. But the monks in SM are much more... seemingly fantasy-eastern in styles I guess? From their models, moves etc.

If Scarlet monks are seen as a true type of monk, then do other Holy Orders have similar monks? In which case a human monk could exist already. Martial artistry isn't purely an eastern thing, afterall. Medieval Europe had it's own martial arts. Which have similarities, but are also different to the "teachings" and "Tradition" of their oriental counterparts I guess.

That's partially RL though, and not WoW.

So... in answer. I dunno!

Helpful. As always.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Grufftoof wrote:So... in answer. I dunno!

lol thanks Razz

But eh, the only thing on wowpedia I could find was "Pandaren masters have chosen to share their ancient martial arts with young fighters in both the Alliance and Horde."

I want to RP a human that would be one of these guys. I know this character could have previous combat experience but still, will I be RPing a very weak/novice character that wouldn't last 2 seconds on Pandaria?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Would depend on IC spec and race as well, I reckon.
A dwarven brewmaster? Would be nothing but natural.
Or you could be the deranged kung-fu hermit who made up his own martial art, then went to Pandaria and realised he wasn't the only one, etc. Honestly it's all about how you make up the back story.

Edit: Also, this is just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Grufftoof's Post
Spoiler:

The big difference between Scarlet Monks and Pandaren Monks is Chi. The belief in balance and harmony as the ideal, and the key philosophy of Tushui/Houjin that governs their lives. Human Monks indeed take part in martial arts, of a sort. Hand to hand combat, but Pandaren are -the- masters. So there will be no Human monks that exist already that are anywhere near Pandaren, they just share a name.

Perturbo's Post
Spoiler:

In short? Yes. You will be weak. Everyone will be weak. There are -no- Non-Pandaren Monks, unless a Pandaren left the Wandering Isle, like Chen, and trained monks on his travels and those monks stayed hidden from view right up until now, you will be a novice. I suggest anyone wanting to play another race-monk to find a Pandaren monk as an IC master. However becoming a monk, as far as I see, doesn't require too long, to become a stand-alone monk you must simply master the use of chi. But yes, you'll be a novice.

Dwyburn's Post
Spoiler:

Dwarven Brewmasters aren't monks however, it sounds and looks natural, but theres a difference between Brewmasters and brew masters. Someone who brews beer for a living and a Monk specializing in Brew mastery. Granted dwarves will probably pick up such a specialty rather quickly.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:16 pm

As Dwynburn mentioned, It'll come down to which speciality you wish to take up IC, I'm personally going to make a monk, but roleplay them as being a completely different class entirely, well not entirely, but something that has no direct connection to The Pandaren.

Whether she'll stumble across a Pandaren Master and seek his tutorship is another matter entirely.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Magaskawee/Anaei wrote:Perturbo's Post
Spoiler:

In short? Yes. You will be weak. Everyone will be weak. There are -no- Non-Pandaren Monks, unless a Pandaren left the Wandering Isle, like Chen, and trained monks on his travels and those monks stayed hidden from view right up until now, you will be a novice. I suggest anyone wanting to play another race-monk to find a Pandaren monk as an IC master. However becoming a monk, as far as I see, doesn't require too long, to become a stand-alone monk you must simply master the use of chi. But yes, you'll be a novice.

That sounds pretty good, yeah I knew I wouldn't be a grand master. Learning will be fun, and I was considering looking for someone who plays a pandaren monk for some training RP.

EDIT: And I mean a monk monk, not using the class to RP something else.

Last edited by Perturbo on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Lin'ith wrote:As Dwynburn mentioned, It'll come down to which speciality you wish to take up IC, I'm personally going to make a monk, but roleplay them as being a completely different class entirely, well not entirely, but something that has no direct connection to The Pandaren.

Whether she'll stumble across a Pandaren Master and seek his tutorship is another matter entirely.

Oddly, I think this is fine. Unlike like Death Knights who I -hate- for playing different classes, Monk are very versatile. They could fill gaps for certain lore-classes like Blademasters, or just a normal person, who knows how to fight. A thug.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next