Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

+41
itsy
erwtenpeller
Salketh
Dorik Thunderbelly
Gesh
Thygore
Shaelyssa
Morinth
Krogon Devilstep
Kettin
Yarnaat
Attum
Tollir
Melnerag
Skarain
Grufftoof
Lini
Frostfeather
Skaraa
Vaell
Seranita
Ledgic
Magaskawee/Anaei
Drustai
Timna
Thelos
Valestrion
Valerias
Osuun
Lexgrad
Odgan / Keag
Jeanpierre
Muzjhath
Lorainne/Bridlington
Coppersocket
Amaryl
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Kristeas Sunbinder
Gahalla
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Ralegh
45 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions. Empty Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

Post by Ralegh Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:11 am

So, i feel we need some topic for random questions/discussions about lore that don't really need, or deserve their own topic.

ill start it of with as the title says, gryphon poop.
Gryphons are half eagle half lion, they lay eggs like leagle, but im unsure if this means they also poop like them.
Im assuming Gryphons are carnivors, but unlike eagles feed on larger prey like lions would.
Im not sure how their digestion would work and if the result would be like
This: http://www.hopperhome.com/Poop1.JPG
or more like This: http://amazingdata.com/mediadata20/Image/interesting_nifty_funny_amazing_mountain+lioon200907241443492925.jpg
I guess this also applies to hippogryphs.

For a second question that might actually be possible to answer, can trolls regrow their tusks?
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions. Empty Re: Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:24 am

Q:I heard that elephants can regrow their tusks - is it true?

Humans grow two sets of teeth in their lifetimes - the rootless "milk teeth" of childhood and the second, rooted set of teeth which are supposed to last into old age. With the amount of food elephants eat every day, their teeth wear down at alarming rates, and that's why they grow not two but six sets of chewing teeth (molars) in their lifetimes. Tusks do not wear out so fast, so an elephant does not grow more than one set in its life. In fact, tusks are rootless, just like human milk teeth. However, they do continue to grow in length throughout the lifetime of the elephant.

Female Dwarves. Some books state they have beards (Day/Night of the Dragon), some don't but do not make an effort to say otherwise (The Shattering). We all know in-game none do, even NPC's, so what is the deal?
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions. Empty Re: Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

Post by Ralegh Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:26 am

Tythalos wrote:Humans grow two sets of teeth in their lifetimes - the rootless "milk teeth" of childhood and the second, rooted set of teeth which are supposed to last into old age. With the amount of food elephants eat every day, their teeth wear down at alarming rates, and that's why they grow not two but six sets of chewing teeth (molars) in their lifetimes. Tusks do not wear out so fast, so an elephant does not grow more than one set in its life. In fact, tusks are rootless, just like human milk teeth. However, they do continue to grow in length throughout the lifetime of the elephant.
So the if we're assuming troll tusks are somehow the same in nature as lets say elephants could we then also assume that as a troll ages his tusks grow but wont regrow?
But if they do regrow would they do so faster due to the trolls regenerations?

Tythalos wrote:
Female Dwarves. Some books state they have beards (Day/Night of the Dragon), some don't but do not make an effort to say otherwise (The Shattering). We all know in-game none do, even NPC's, so what is the deal?
Ive allways thought of it as their females having the abillity to possibly grow a moustache, or atleast a light fluff, but most just choose not to, i have no way of proving this or setting anything concrete down, thats just what makes sense to me.
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 am

I'm inclined to say that gryphon's digestion tend to be on the more bird side of things. The primary reason is that they have a beak and not teeth. This means they lack the ability to chew and thus have to rip off chunks and eat rocks to help their digestion.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:06 am

*Edits*

I could imagine both types of poop work, depending on what has been eaten. I'd think that it would have access to a wider variety of food than an eagle, unless it's dwarf is stingy.

Last edited by Kristeas Sunbinder on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 am

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:Google eagle poop?
Thats the first link in the first post, aslo what Galhalla says makes sense...
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shandrea/Nar'Gaya Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:58 am

The gryphon-poop made me giggle.. xD

As for the troll tusks though, the general consensus seem to be that they grow back, albeit slowly. The reason for Male trolls having their hunched posture is also said to be the weight of their tusks pull them down. And indeed, they never stop growing.

Some males trim their tusks, but to most, their tusks are their show of manhood, and they often decorate them with carvings, jewelry and blood. Because we all know blood is decorative, right..?

To the point though! In the SGE we quite often cut tusks off as punishment when a male does not act according to the rules. Having his tusks removed would be like castration, pretty much. But the tusks grow back again.

Regeneration is quite slow, yes, growing back a mere finger would usually take weeks. But with prayers and meditation, along with a few well-placed potions it can be increased.

I hope that answered the tusk-question to some degree Smile And pardon my messy writing. 48 hours with no sleep makes Nargy a dizzy troll. Razz
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya

Character sheet
Name: Shandrea
Title: Vixen

https://www.facebook.com/#!/silje.s.eide

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 am

The more important question would be: Why do you want to know about Gryphon Poop?

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 am

Nar, that is actually wrong. Their limbs regrow quite fast, atleast they did until Blizzard retconned the whole Troll regeneration. Trolls were extremely hard to kill, due to their insane regeneration, there was a reason the Alliance had to use fire in order to kill Trolls during the Troll war, because they just kept regenerating their limbs if they didn't.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:43 am

Jungle trolls aren't Forest trolls? Do they have different regenerative properties?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Q: Where in the real human history would you place the nations of Lordaeron, Stormwind, Dalaran, Kul Tiras, Stromgarde, Gilneas, Alterac and Theramore?

For instance: Gilneas could be placed in the early Victorian Era, because of A and B.
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shandrea/Nar'Gaya Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Yes Copper, I'm aware of that, but I was speaking from an RP PoV here. Server -lore and general consensus of the community isn't always the same as Blizzard-lore. Wink

It would be retardedly OP to play a troll, really, if they could regrow -anything- over night, as was Blizzard's first idea. Thus it has changed to beocome more player-friendly.

Point remains the same though - Tusks grow back.
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya

Character sheet
Name: Shandrea
Title: Vixen

https://www.facebook.com/#!/silje.s.eide

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:57 pm

I do think that Tusks continue growing through life for Elephants.
How much I think is a bit different from case to case (genetics dodaas) and the size they do end up being depends on wear and tear and things like that. But I think that if a Tusk is fully pulled out etc I doubt it'd grow back.
Might be talking out of my arse.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Tsurana/Lorainne wrote:Q: Where in the real human history would you place the nations of Lordaeron, Stormwind, Dalaran, Kul Tiras, Stromgarde, Gilneas, Alterac and Theramore?

For instance: Gilneas could be placed in the early Victorian Era, because of A and B.

In all cases: American popular fiction.

Even Gilneas, which aims at a very victorian atmosphere still falls squarely in american popular media. That's what they all are based on, what values they evoke and just plain how they are thought up.

What little remains of the nations beyond that unfortunantely makes them possible to place in a multitude of locations.

But I guess I can humour you at some vague notions on what the nations could be closest (in europe) to based on geography/international position.
Lordaeron is Russia. With hillsbrad and the Northlands in addition to Silverpine and Tirisfal, it is by far the largest country. Add in the very traditional/religious life of this country and I think it's very much Russia.

Stormwind is roman Egypt. Rich beyond compare and far enough away that it's only relation to the others is beneficial. Like Lordaeron, religion means a lot and a lot of it seems to be stemming from here.

Dalaran is Venice/Milan/Genoa or the Holy See. Independent in the true sense of the word yet has it's fingers in all the pies.

Kul Tiras is "mediveal" England (more like an amalgation of all pre-industrial Englands). It's separate from the continent and protected by a wooden wall. Could possibly the Knights of st John Malta/Rhodes.

Gilneas is Transylvania/Carpathia/Wallachia. Remote and desolate enough to be able to mind their own business and occasionally dazzle the world by sallying out and making a big mess and proving to be unanticipatedly efficient. The only reason this fits poorly is of past mentions that Gilneas being the only nation truly capable of challanging Lordaeron.

Stromgarde is half post-americas spain in that it has enough influence to warrant listening to and half scotland/småland/bretagne/moravia/pommerania/central finland/central spain ie. dirt poor but with locals that make up with it by becoming really good soldiers (and promptly mercs).

Alterac has the unfortune of being just about any crossroads/entry point you can find in Europe. If an invasion will happens, it goes through alterac. Other than that we don't have much characterization at all.

Theramore is Cape Hope or Singapore. A remote outpost in large unexplored lands. A small stop for boats that turned into a bustling trade harbour. Admittedly not in Europe. But Theramore is so much a colony that only a colony fits.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:06 am

Ezlbag wrote:
Im assuming Gryphons are carnivors, but unlike eagles feed on larger prey like lions would.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Gryphon

They are, however, partial to horse flesh and unless closely watched indulge their taste to the detriment of nearby cavalry
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:43 am

Amaryl wrote:The more important question would be: Why do you want to know about Gryphon Poop?
I read one of the books on a six hour bus ride, and suddenly it popped into my mind.
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Which book was it? Very Happy
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Gahalla wrote:
Spoiler:

Thank you, Gahalla. That was really helpful! +1 I love you
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Odgan / Keag Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:31 pm

A bit late, but to anwser this qeustion:

A: Most Ironforge female dwarves do not appear to have beards. However there really are some bearded female ironforge dwarves as proven by Graun Blump. Beards owned by female dwarves appear to be rare (especially in Ironforge dwarves[10]) however, female dwarves who sported strong beards are considered a sign of beauty among members of the race.[11] Two bearded sisters fought in the battle to retake Grim Batol. It is unknown if other female dwarves grow beards, but then chose to shave. ---- Wowpedia.org
Odgan / Keag
Odgan / Keag

Character sheet
Name: Ildranor Strongbrew
Title: Mountaineer-Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Better a beard than stubble.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Osuun Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Why is there no toilets in WoW. Where do people go to the toilet and bathe and stuff. Why. How.

Osuun

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 pm

There are outhouses! 'least in all the human type settlements.

And as for bathing, before plumbing it was common just to spot-bathe most of the time, and when actual baths were needed, fill up some kettles of water, hang them over the fire, pour the hot water into a washtub, and voila. Insta-bath!
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:32 pm

If you are undead you dont need to wash.

Not my finest guild advert but if your char hates bath times... Very Happy
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Lexgrad wrote:If you are undead you dont need to wash.

Not my finest guild advert but if your char hates bath times... Very Happy

rofl.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:37 pm

The royal chamberpot ofc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next