Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

+41
itsy
erwtenpeller
Salketh
Dorik Thunderbelly
Gesh
Thygore
Shaelyssa
Morinth
Krogon Devilstep
Kettin
Yarnaat
Attum
Tollir
Melnerag
Skarain
Grufftoof
Lini
Frostfeather
Skaraa
Vaell
Seranita
Ledgic
Magaskawee/Anaei
Drustai
Timna
Thelos
Valestrion
Valerias
Osuun
Lexgrad
Odgan / Keag
Jeanpierre
Muzjhath
Lorainne/Bridlington
Coppersocket
Amaryl
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Kristeas Sunbinder
Gahalla
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Ralegh
45 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions. - Page 6 Empty Re: Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 pm

Oooooooh shit son. I think you're on to something Glilya.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions. - Page 6 Empty Re: Gryphon poop and other kinda lore related questions.

Post by Lini Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:27 pm

Would also answer the question of wether or not Sha possessed people can leave Pandaria.
Lini
Lini

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:24 am

It likely would, aye. We'll have to wait until 5.1 to see if Garrosh does indeed become Sha possessed. If so, we already know the final raid is on Orgrimmar to kill Garrosh, so that would definitely answer if a Sha possessed person can leave Pandaria.

(Though I don't think we need a reason to kill that Ogre-thing anyhow Razz)
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:16 am

Anyone notice how unfortunate our characters are to be in the generation (human/orc and other short lifespan races) of a demon invasion, elemental invasion, undead invasion, massive dragon invasion and now they're the ones to experience the mists fading. If I was there, I would just turn around and say "Fuck the mists. If we go down there, some shit is going to royally kick off and we'll probably lost half our army to some evil. I'm out."
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:37 am

Sucks to be them. It's better than killing rabbits and spiders until level 90 though! :p
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Anyone wanna give me an FAQ on fel magic? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timna Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:01 pm

How long do gryphons live?
What age is the age of 'maturity' for gryphons?
At what age can you ride a gryphon? (gryphon's age, not rider)
How long is a gryphon in an egg and do you count these months within the actual gryphon's age, or only the age since hatched?
And last but not least, how do you train a gryphon?
Timna
Timna

Character sheet
Name: Timna
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:17 am

You forgot the most important one!

How much weight can an adult griffon carry in flight?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 am

erwtenpeller wrote:You forgot the most important one!

Fifteen Gnomes and a horse! No, I got no idea. Probably quite a bit I'd imagine since they're so widely used by the Alliance.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Timna Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Is not relevant to my requirements! The other ones are!

Nevertheless, nobody has any answers to my questions? Sad
Timna
Timna

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:36 pm

i shall hazerd an educated guess..

Timna wrote:How long do gryphons live?
I would say as they are heavily used by dwarfs.. noticably the ones in the various highlands.. I got the impression from the quests that these birds were "life long friends" So I would suspect they have a similer lifespan to that fo a dwarf... As such probably around 200 years
Timna wrote:What age is the age of 'maturity' for gryphons?
birds in the wild tend to mature quickly as the vast mejority of them fall under the "pray" category.. however I would suspect these birds would take around 20 years at a rough guess
Timna wrote:At what age can you ride a gryphon? (gryphon's age, not rider)
probably depends on both factors realy.. a grophen would be able to carry a rider at various different ages depending on how well it was raised.. how quickly it would grow etc.. for example a runt grophen would not be able to carry a rider for far longer over that of a healthy strong grophen that could probably begin "being ridden" in its teens
Timna wrote:How long is a gryphon in an egg and do you count these months within the actual gryphon's age, or only the age since hatched?
Not a clue.
Timna wrote:And last but not least, how do you train a gryphon?
constant handling from birth i would suspect.. Much like training a pet bird to be hand trained.. I do not think you could get a wild grophen and train it.. it would sooner rip the rider's arm off beffor allowing itself to be ridden

I know these are all guesses from snipits I have read here and there but it may help
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Timna wrote:How long do gryphons live?
What age is the age of 'maturity' for gryphons?
At what age can you ride a gryphon? (gryphon's age, not rider)
How long is a gryphon in an egg and do you count these months within the actual gryphon's age, or only the age since hatched?
And last but not least, how do you train a gryphon?
I would guess a Gryphon would reach full maturity within a three-four years. I'm going with the American Bald Eagle here, as it's closest in relation, as for the time you're able to ride it, I'd say it's specific to what race you are. Gnomes and Dwarves most likely being able to ride them sooner than Humans and the other larger races.

So, if going by that standard, 35 days of incubation. Of course, this isn't something one should say as static numbers or such. But I think looking at an actual eagle is a good source of information on these creatures. Otherwise I suppose one could always look up information from some D&D book for a bit better answer.

As for the age, no idea. But I'd suppose you'd start counting from the day the eggs hatch, as a eagle egg is very weak to weather changes and need constant parenting.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Timna Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks for the answer. It's puzzling, because people say gryphons are an animal that only reach ~30 years of age. However, considering the age of Dwarves, they might reach 200 - I suppose 50-100 years old at least.

The race I'm looking for for the information about riding would be a human.
Timna
Timna

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Just think "Lion".
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Timna Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:10 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Just think "Lion".

But they're not lions. They're fairly sentient. Rolling Eyes
Timna
Timna

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Yeah well, there's still lots of lion in there, so if you're looking for a "realistic" approach, just look at Lions. Smart lions.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Lion/Eagle mix.
Besides, just because Dwarves lives long doesn't necessarily mean the Gryphons do. While a Gryphon is something very personal to a Dwarf, they may not necessarily have the same gryphon their entire lives. Gryphons are also very large creatures, so I think it makes sense that they don't live for too long.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Elephants are big. They live long. As do whales.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Timna Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Coppersocket wrote:Lion/Eagle mix.
Besides, just because Dwarves lives long doesn't necessarily mean the Gryphons do. While a Gryphon is something very personal to a Dwarf, they may not necessarily have the same gryphon their entire lives. Gryphons are also very large creatures, so I think it makes sense that they don't live for too long.

Yeah I suppose. 30-50 years at most, and the last 5-10 years probably just spend on a deathbed in captivity, or put down.
Timna
Timna

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:56 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Elephants are big. They live long. As do whales.

Jellyfish are immortal.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Let's not forget they are a magical/fantastical creature too, for some reason they tend to live very long in most fantasy universes.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Dref has it, ages in terms of fantasy high-magic animals will probably be vastly longer than those of their "constituent parts".

Gryphons are not quite up there with wyrms and dragons. But they're about the most ancient "animals" I'd guess (not counting giants etc).

D&D might give a "clue" I guess, though I don't have the source book here. It might give "average ages" we could kinda work off... maybe. or twist!

"Griffons are powerful, majestic creatures with the characteristics of both lions and eagles. From nose to tail, an adult griffon can measure as much as 8 feet. Neither males nor females are endowed with a mane. A pair of broad, golden wings emerge from the creature’s back and span 25 feet or more. A griffon weighs about 500 pounds....

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a griffon is up to 300 pounds; a medium load, 301–600 pounds; and a heavy load, 601–900 pounds."

Is from a D&D wiki and gives an ok overview or start.

As an aside to Ixirar: I'd definitely say that oozes are the jellyfish of WoW (are there jellyfish in WoW? I think there's things "like" them in Vashjr.. like the giant lift machine that people never quite grasped in Throne of Tides). And if they didn't get stamped on by passing people they could be the size of the whole world!!!!!!!!!!!!! (true story, I'm a doctor, I did the science).

Or maybe not. And who's to say all oozes aren't just one giant ooze. Collected in a crazy, dripping and undulating Ooze-mind. Like the fungus under Oregon. If it was sentient. And an ooze.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnabhair Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:21 pm

I see what you did there.
Finnabhair
Finnabhair

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Wink
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 pm

*puts on thick goggles and opens a huge book*

Gryphons...hrmmm....yes. Gryphons. What was the que--ah yes. The average air v--no, that was not it. The load-capacity of a gryphon in flight. Yes yes, that was it. A Gryphon can carry as much or as little as is demanded by the plot.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next