Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lore Questions

+4
Ixirar
Jiang-Nu
Charlie Blazesong
Demurral
8 posters

Go down

Lore Questions Empty Lore Questions

Post by Demurral Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I thought it would be good to have a thread, where we can ask various Lore-related questions. To begin us off:

In what era and Time did Varian Wrynn first become King of Stormwind? Before the First Opening of the Dark Portal? The Second War? When?
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Lore Questions Empty Re: Lore Questions

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:52 pm

Somewhere after the second war I believe, he got crowned at 18 if I remember correctly.
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiang-Nu Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Varian Wrynn came to the throne at about the same time as when Arthas Menethil was first inducted into the Order of the Silver Hand. This is a little bit before the Third War. I think I remember Warcraft III actually starts with Arthas being a fledgeling Paladin. King Llane Wrynn, Varian's father, ruled Stormwind when the Dark Portal was opened.

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jiang-Nu
Jiang-Nu

http://thebloominglotus.boards.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Demurral Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:06 pm

With that in mind, then - Assuming that the people of Stormwind mark the years by the reign of the king - How long has he been crowned? Assuming the dates are marked like " The fifth of May, in the fifteenth year of Reign of King Varian"
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiang-Nu Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Assuming Varian and Arthas are the same age (all lore seems to suggest they are), Varian was born 4 years before the start of the first war. In the WoW timeline this is 0. The start of World of Warcraft has been determined to be 25 years after the start of the first war. WoW is about to celebrate its 10 year anniversary, so it's a good guess that we're now at 35 years. 35+4=39-18=21. The eleventh of november, twenty first year of the reign of King Varian. Long may he live.
Jiang-Nu
Jiang-Nu

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:31 pm

The official, Blizzard condoned timeline places the timespan of wow xpacs at 1 year apart, though, contrary to the lapse of 2 years each irl.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:39 pm

The timeline is kinda iffy in the WoW game years as you have the 10 year anniversary one one hand and yet you have that visual guide on the other ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) which was Blizzard's atempt to make a actual timeline sort of. But most i've seen agree is that they kinda made it seem very short rather then follow actual game years.

Depends on ones views but if one wants to get really technical and go with the latest things Blizz put out would be about 5 years from start of "WoW" and the start of Pandaria.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiang-Nu Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 pm

siegmund wrote:The timeline is kinda iffy in the WoW game years as you have the 10 year anniversary one one hand and yet you have that visual guide on the other ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) which was Blizzard's atempt to make a actual timeline sort of. But most i've seen agree is that they kinda made it seem very short rather then follow actual game years.

Depends on ones views but if one wants to get really technical and go with the latest things Blizz put out would be about 5 years from start of "WoW" and the start of Pandaria.

Seems a bit of a weird thing to do. Meh. Blizz is Blizz. I blame bronze dragons.
Jiang-Nu
Jiang-Nu

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Yeah, it's like! KILL KIL'JAEDEN! SHIT ARTHAS WOKE UP LETS SMACK HIM! OMG GUYS DEATHWING JUST BROKE THE WORLD! GUYS! I SEE AN ISLAND WITH PANDAS!
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Yeah well 5.4 alone lasted for a year for us but yeah... try asking Blizz how long it lasted lorewise, surely would be a blast to hear that.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Jiang-Nu Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:14 pm

siegmund wrote:Yeah well 5.4 alone lasted for a year for us but yeah... try asking Blizz how long it lasted lorewise, surely would be a blast to hear that.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Jiang-Nu
Jiang-Nu

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Should this not belong there?
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadok Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:21 pm

In my own RP head-canon, it's been ten years since WoW launched both ICly and OOCly - we RP in terms of RL days, weeks, months and years, so an RP character rolled in 2004 would have celebrated ten birthdays rather than five.

Squishing it down to five years may work fine in theory, but it's just awkward in practise, especially with sudden sweeping changes to an otherwise static in-game world.

Last edited by Sadok on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sadok
Sadok

Character sheet
Name: Sadok Sharptongue
Title: High Blade Thur'ruk

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Charlie Blazesong wrote:Yeah, it's like! KILL KIL'JAEDEN! SHIT ARTHAS WOKE UP LETS SMACK HIM! OMG GUYS DEATHWING JUST BROKE THE WORLD! GUYS! I SEE AN ISLAND WITH PANDAS!

I find it highly amusing to RP a character who copes with this by extreme sarcasm.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down