Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warcraft movie

+31
Azapha
Isadore
Praeceps
Charlie Blazesong
Maelmoor
Littlepip
Groshnok
Lavian
Tantzui
Zaraj
Sanara
Bakar
Sarandus
Zinkle Figgins
Lexgrad
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
The Z
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kittrina
Thelos
Raenmar
Rmuffn
Amaryl
Muzjhath
Grufftoof
siegmund
Cid
Ledgic
Kozgugore Feraleye
Vaell
Dréfurion
35 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Warcraft movie - Page 5 Empty Re: Warcraft movie

Post by Praeceps Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 pm

I have seen it and I can say it's awesome.

Yes their are some flaws, but name me one book/game based movie that hasn't. Did they have pointless scenes, perhaps. But then again it is something called character building, something we RP'ers should appreciate and encourage.

All in it is a great movie, and very likely there will be sequels.
Praeceps
Praeceps

Character sheet
Name: James Masters
Title: Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 pm

But then again it is something called character building, something we RP'ers should appreciate and encourage.

My exact point is that the "character building" scenes accomplished nothing of the sort.

I've said my piece though. For as much respect that the film had for the world itself, it straight out pissed on the story of the world it was trying to revere. Anybody who loved the film has terrible taste in entertainment, honestly.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Isadore Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:36 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:For as much respect that the film had for the world itself, it straight out pissed on the story of the world it was trying to revere. Anybody who loved the film has terrible taste in entertainment, honestly.

Cringed at the last sentence.
While there are plotholes and unlucky alterations, I like to think of it as an attempt to make the franchise more approachable to those not frequenting the plains of Azeroth. Personally I loved the movie for its depiction of the universe. While stepping lore-heavy fans over the toes, it might've just enabled a whole new crowd of people to stare themselves blind on the endless lore.

Regardless of our attitudes towards the movie, our game franchise got funded.
Isadore
Isadore

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:47 pm

It's a fun piece of garbage film. It's like the Dungeons and Dragons film, for those who watched that. It tries to get away with being a 20th century fantasy film in the post-LOTR, post-GOT era. You can sit down and watch trash films, and enjoy doing it, but Warcraft was undeniably a trash film. It wasn't a piece of cinematic art. It was a dumb fantasy film with watered down characters and sub-par acting. I don't mind that the story was -different- from the Lore. I mind that it was bad. It was a stupid story that didn't develop its characters properly and never gave us a reason to be invested in the message it tried to tell.

But obviously if you go in just wanting to see a warcraft film with a pre-established wish to love it, you'll love it because it delivers the promise of being a warcraft film. It is absolutely beyond discussion though that it is not a well made one.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Praeceps Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:But obviously if you go in just wanting to see a warcraft film with a pre-established wish to love it, you'll love it because it delivers the promise of being a warcraft film. It is absolutely beyond discussion though that it is not a well made one.

Actually I went in with very low expectations and was prepared to return home very disappointed. That did not happen, I was more then pleasantly surprised to find a very enjoyable movie that did effort to bring Azeroth and it's story to a mainstream audience. Is it 100% correct no, but read the Lotr trilogy again and dare say with a straight face that thos emovies are correct.

It was far from a secret this movie would target mainstream audiences, yet you are complaining about exactly that fact. Why even bother going to see the movie if you know you're going to hate it?

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:Anybody who loved the film has terrible taste in entertainment, honestly.

Ever considered it might be the other way around and you just have horrible taste in entertainment? There is something called "opinion", learn to respect the one from others instead of forcing up yours.
Praeceps
Praeceps

Character sheet
Name: James Masters
Title: Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:31 pm

I'm not forcing anything on you. And I'm also not saying any of the other things you're claiming I said. Let's break it down:

1: I didn't complain about the movie not going along with the pre-established lore. They've been saying for ages that it's gonna be its own timeline and independent of the games. My complaint was that the new lore is bad and confusing and most of the changes are stupid and make no sense. They change things just for the sake of changing them and end up with a million things that do just flat out make no sense.

2: I didn't complain about the movie targeting the mainstream audience. They've been saying for ages that it's gonna be its own film and independent of the games. My complaint was that the plot didn't do a good job justifying itself. Medivh, the guardian of Azeroth and childhood friend of King Llane, teleports into the throne room and the guards lose their shit and ready their weapons, yet next time we see the throne room, Garona, a member of a species of bloodthirsty warmongerers that are out to raze the kingdom to the ground can walk around freely and be within inches of both the King and the Queen and nobody does anything to stop her? And it takes, what, one scene from Garona saying "I could kill you now. I'd be a hero if I did." to the humans trusting her with their lives. My complaint wasn't that it was gonna be a mainstream appeal story, my complaint was that it was a stupid and non-sensical story.

3: I don't fault you for enjoying bad films. There are bad films that I enjoy watching, too. Bad films with bad writing and bad execution that I like to watch because they have cool action sequences or impressive scenery or something else that make the experience worthwhile for me. You are well within your rights to enjoy bad films. But Warcraft indisputably was one. And you're free to disagree, in the same sense that you're free to have any other opinion. However, some opinions are flat out wrong. And the opinion that Warcraft is not a bad film is one of those.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:10 am

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:However, some opinions are flat out wrong. And the opinion that Warcraft is not a bad film is one of those.

While I agree that the film was bad in many senses, this is rather cringeworthy to say. Opinions are opinions, there is not right or wrong in terms of those. I can respect others saying that the movie was good because they are entitled to their opinions, just like you and me are entitled to our own opinions. Nobody is forced to agree with any other just for the sake of agreeing, but putting it like in this quote is just not productive in any means whatsoever.

Truth be told, seeing some facts in this thread that the movie is doing its own timeline etc, changes to lore and such to fit moviestyle better, I might need to re-evaluate my opinion. It wasn't wrong to begin with, because I felt that the movie wasn't living up to my expectations. But considering the facts presented to me, it sortof explains plenty and thus makes the changes made for the movie more understandable. I still find the movie bad, but better for other reasons.

This be my opinion.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Azapha Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:36 pm

I'm going to say this now to anyone who felt betrayed that some characters and lore was not as they felt it should be,  I loved the LotR movies, I mean it was reading LotR and the hobbit that got me into fantasy, got me playing dungeons and dragons and made me completely hooked on the whole fantasy setting

The LotR movies missed characters who I truly loved and expected to see "Tom with his tall hat and yellow boots anyone?"  but let's face it, the story was changed to make it possible to fit for others who was not already LotR fans, and probably was better in the long run because they changed things to keep the whole trilogy flow smooth and to point

If you went in expecting very lore correct movie, you went in with wrong mind set, the movie was not the best, but it was far better than I expected as I kept my expectations low and was happy it raised above my low expectations

I'd be happy to go pay to watch a second movie and see where they take it, remember some of them pointless feelings chips might of been because of future plans.. Like why they removed Tom from LotR,
Azapha
Azapha

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:15 pm

Shut up Ixi, it was awesome.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 am

It was a fun, pretty trash film.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Saw it last night. 7/10. Enjoyed the rendition of Azeroth (SW and IF were great). Enjoyed the rendition of the orcs themselves. Story line was okay (I'm no Loremaster so have no idea what was 'accurate' and what was not). Acting was a bit meh. Don't think I'll go and see it again but glad I saw it once.

My friend who has never played WoW before thought it was 7/10 - he said the story was confusing. I think if you added more "officiial" characters in there you'd only make it more so.
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:07 pm

My sister commented the movie as something that looks like it happen 'before' the events of Warcraft 1. After thinking about it from that perspective, I were able to enjoy it more even afterwards. It is confirmed to not be canon, but it does leave the world at a point from where the events of Warcraft 1 could commence.

Spoiler:

If a Director's Cut becomes available, I am pretty sure to buy that thing. I want to see the story extended.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5