Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vikings in Azeroth?

+23
Ixirar
Rhenchu
Geneviève
Muzjhath
Yarnaat
Sevelle
Demurral
Saevir
Thonian/Gashwille/Markyth
Baròth / Olian
Melnerag
Kil'drakor
Kristeas Sunbinder
Rmuffn
Valdar/Melan
Cathee Norris
Gahalla
Magaskawee/Anaei
Zhakiri
Valerias
Gunnell
Etular
Zinkle Figgins
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Vikings in Azeroth? Empty Vikings in Azeroth?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Does vikings exist in Azeroth?
I've been looking around, I've seen "viking" gear, like shields and chestarmors. Viking sword also exist, the sword Zweihander too.
But I don't think there are any viking culture in Azeroth. Maybe someone could have the idea of creating one?

Back to top Go down

Vikings in Azeroth? Empty Re: Vikings in Azeroth?

Post by Zinkle Figgins Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:50 pm

The three Dwarves in Uldaman.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:58 pm

There are two in Duskwood too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Etular Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:00 pm

If Gnomes are involved and there is sufficient lore material to work with, I might happily take up the concept.
Etular
Etular

Character sheet
Name: Etular Fizzlebomb
Title: Demonology Student of GAIRDAS

http://www.etular.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Vykrul.. they even have Huscarl's for crying out loud.

Stromgarde & Arathi is vaugely Anglo-Saxon as well, and no I'm not on about <Kingdom of Arathor/Stromgarde>.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Gunnell wrote:Vykrul.. they even have Huscarl's for crying out loud.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:30 pm

Gunnell wrote:

Stromgarde & Arathi is vaugely Anglo-Saxon as well, and no I'm not on about <Kingdom of Arathor/Stromgarde>.

You so are. <3
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Nygarth/Orthur wrote:
Gunnell wrote:

You so are. <3

Thoradin's Wall - Hadrian's Wall.
Elemental Bindings - Stone's Henge.
Red & White National Colours - St George's Cross.
Invading Alteracians - Alteracian's have a vaugely French theme.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 pm

Alteracians have a French theme? Wheeeeerehow?

I always got more of a Celtic vibe.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Aniane/Vale wrote:Alteracians have a French theme? Wheeeeerehow?

I always got more of a Celtic vibe.

Fight the Stromgardians (Anglo-Saxon English).
Known for their rogues, famous political intrigue between the Noble houses.

There was a pretty good list on it (Including how Kul Tiras is Denmark, hm..) that I can't remember off the top of my head, which I shall have to try and fish out from the WoW forums.

I don't have a clue where the stuff about Celt's comes from.. Heck, Gilneas has large celtic thing in regards to its Druidism, Blackwald, etc.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:47 pm

It's the mountain culture, I suppose; the pride, the isolation, reminded me of Celtic- or Roman-era Wales (though naturally not of the Welsh language).

Interesting information though, thank you. I appreciate at least that (in some places, like the abovementioned) Blizzard hasn't parodied real life cultures too closely.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Funny I have always gotten French from Alterac and i've never thought why.

Stormwind to me always seemed what Americans would have loved themselves to be 500 years ago. Obviously they weren't about and such, but that's the vibe i've gotten from them.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Well, the Burgundians were a Celtic people. I suppose I'll have to content myself with that -sad sigh-

As much as it pains me to play a French character, at least now I have an (extra!) excuse for Amirah's arrogance toward Arathorians.

(No, this is not a serious post.)
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:30 pm

The vrykul are essentially viking giants. Complete with viking titles, longships, reaving-tactics (hit, burn and run) and vaguely norse names.

...the sword Zweihander too.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with vikings. Zweihanders is a weapon of the german landsknechts of the late renaissance, the 15th-16th century. 300-400 years after there were no more vikings.

---

Also Gunnel... I can't see where you get the lore-wise Stromgarde to be viking/saxon and alterac france either...

That they should be those cultures due to fighing each others is a tautology. Furthermore... France was never known for their rogue-like behavior and scheming nobles (well... see my next paranthesis). They were the land of war and chivalry (so french nobility didn't assassinate each others... they settled it in duels or in war). Italy was the nation known for it's assassins and it's intrigues... or the Byzantine empire (hey... it's in the name). There's even an old proverb from the time: "Never trust a greek bearing gifts"
Red and white as colours is not just english... it is also Danish, genoan, knights of st. John, Bohemian, Austrian, Polish or swiss.
As for Thoradins wall... the name does suggest it is arathorian in origin... only... why is it facing Stromgarde?

My interpretation: they are a city-state who'se capital is a huge magnificent citadel. Which is as far from saxon/viking culture you can get. They're known for their martial skill, which is more french than saxon. Sure, the rolling hills is very southern england... but it is described as highlands which is more apt for Scots, Swiss or northern spain. It is definantely not viking though. The stone circles does hint of english granted. They are on the ruins of the old unifying empire, which would put them in the mediterranean.

Alterac on the other hand... known for flexible morals. Which is byzantine/italian. A mountain kingdom... which is swiss/hungarian/romanian. Tiny in the middle of civilisation. Swiss.

To be honest... if I had to pick a European culture it'd be the visigothic kingdoms of Spain.
And Alterac being italians/swiss.

However... both cultures are really american. Like the other kingdoms (except gilneas which is english/german/wallachian)
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 pm

At the end of the day it all comes down to how the players like to play their characters. In KoS we mainly take inspiration from vikings, celts and Rohan. To us that is the essence of Arathorian, and it's what's makes it fun to play one.

I think people should get away a bit from RL when it comes to all this. Take inspiration from wherever you feel like to make your character/guild fun. Easy as that. It's a game for a reason, after all.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdar/Melan Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Gahalla's response made me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Valdar/Melan
Valdar/Melan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Gunnell wrote:
Nygarth/Orthur wrote:
Gunnell wrote:

You so are. <3

Thoradin's Wall - Hadrian's Wall.

I read that that wall was constructed by the Romans to divide the island from the savage inhabitants that they forced north.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:00 pm

I thought Stromgard was one of the first places where humans (or Azotha) settled down?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Yes, they did Kristeas. And then all the human tribes were gathered into the first kingdom. Which later split and humans spread and created different kingdoms.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:19 pm

But how exactly does that work with the part, where Night Elves used to have human (and I think Azotha aswell) as slaves?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Well I'm not 100% sure when that was, but could be some scattered humans back when they came from the North as misshaped vrykul. But that's just really me guessing.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Gahalla wrote:The vrykul are essentially viking giants. Complete with viking titles, longships, reaving-tactics (hit, burn and run) and vaguely norse names.

...the sword Zweihander too.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with vikings. Zweihanders is a weapon of the german landsknechts of the late renaissance, the 15th-16th century. 300-400 years after there were no more vikings.

---

Also Gunnel... I can't see where you get the lore-wise Stromgarde to be viking/saxon and alterac france either...

That they should be those cultures due to fighing each others is a tautology. Furthermore... France was never known for their rogue-like behavior and scheming nobles (well... see my next paranthesis). They were the land of war and chivalry (so french nobility didn't assassinate each others... they settled it in duels or in war). Italy was the nation known for it's assassins and it's intrigues... or the Byzantine empire (hey... it's in the name). There's even an old proverb from the time: "Never trust a greek bearing gifts"
Red and white as colours is not just english... it is also Danish, genoan, knights of st. John, Bohemian, Austrian, Polish or swiss.
As for Thoradins wall... the name does suggest it is arathorian in origin... only... why is it facing Stromgarde?

My interpretation: they are a city-state who'se capital is a huge magnificent citadel. Which is as far from saxon/viking culture you can get. They're known for their martial skill, which is more french than saxon. Sure, the rolling hills is very southern england... but it is described as highlands which is more apt for Scots, Swiss or northern spain. It is definantely not viking though. The stone circles does hint of english granted. They are on the ruins of the old unifying empire, which would put them in the mediterranean.

Alterac on the other hand... known for flexible morals. Which is byzantine/italian. A mountain kingdom... which is swiss/hungarian/romanian. Tiny in the middle of civilisation. Swiss.

To be honest... if I had to pick a European culture it'd be the visigothic kingdoms of Spain.
And Alterac being italians/swiss.

However... both cultures are really american. Like the other kingdoms (except gilneas which is english/german/wallachian)
Yeah, thanks for correcting me, brother! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:53 pm

You're talking about Stromgarde.. I just want to know if there could be some sort of a viking, or something similar to that in Azeroth. But it seems the Arathorians is a little like that.
But in a way, they kind of remind me of the LOTR Rohan people. Wich are the LOTR vikings. Smile
I like the Stromgarde RP:ers, they're doing a great RP. Despite their epic brawls. Smile
I'm the old Bludstone RP:er, but atm, now that I've taken a break from WoW. I don't have any character, so please, don't mind my name atm.

Zweihander, I know, is a Germanian sword, heavy as hell for a sword, quite clumbsy. Weights about 20-25kg.
Let's continue this subject, folks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Gunnell wrote:Vykrul.. they even have Huscarl's for crying out loud.

Vrykul*

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Gahalla wrote:

In short? Because that's just how the designers showed it, it was built by the Arathorians. It doesn't match any troll architecture or elven.

"Thoradin's Wall, an immense edifice on the northern border, was once a symbol of humanity's strength and defensive might. Now, the wall has fallen to decay and war. It is collapsed and gaping wide" - Lands of Conflict

IhavenoRPcharyet wrote:You're talking about Stromgarde.. I just want to know if there could be some sort of a viking, or something similar to that in Azeroth. But it seems the Arathorians is a little like that.
But in a way, they kind of remind me of the LOTR Rohan people. Wich are the LOTR vikings. Smile
I like the Stromgarde RP:ers, they're doing a great RP. Despite their epic brawls. Smile
I'm the old Bludstone RP:er, but atm, now that I've taken a break from WoW. I don't have any character, so please, don't mind my name atm.

Zweihander, I know, is a Germanian sword, heavy as hell for a sword, quite clumbsy. Weights about 20-25kg.
Let's continue this subject, folks!

Which*, Clumsy*.

Sorry, if you are gonna start correcting people's spelling it's gonna get ugly.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next