Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saronite. A death knights best choice of Armor.

+15
Catari
erwtenpeller
Grufftoof
Rae Wulfgnar
Coppersocket
Ledgic
Krogon Devilstep
Drustai
Thrakha
siegmund
Lexgrad
Thelos
Kristeas Sunbinder
Vaell
Dorothee/Duvaineth
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Saronite. A death knights best choice of Armor. - Page 2 Empty Re: Saronite. A death knights best choice of Armor.

Post by Drustai Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 am

Rae Wulfgnar wrote:''Metz was above it in melee range. The answer is important so we can determine what the wearer of saronite would suffer. Explosion burns etc and a knock back, or just a knock back or something else that could be the outcome of saronite being hit with light. ''

I did actually wonder if the Ore exploded or it just bounced the Light back at the Paladin. But then again, if it just exploded from the Light then the Lich king wouldn't of made everything out of it?
One would assume that the processing of the ore reduces its negative effects, but probably also weakens its positive effects. I doubt the actual armor has anywhere near the same properties as the unrefined ore.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Saronite. A death knights best choice of Armor. - Page 2 Empty Re: Saronite. A death knights best choice of Armor.

Post by siegmund Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 am

Drustai wrote:
Rae Wulfgnar wrote:''Metz was above it in melee range. The answer is important so we can determine what the wearer of saronite would suffer. Explosion burns etc and a knock back, or just a knock back or something else that could be the outcome of saronite being hit with light. ''

I did actually wonder if the Ore exploded or it just bounced the Light back at the Paladin. But then again, if it just exploded from the Light then the Lich king wouldn't of made everything out of it?
One would assume that the processing of the ore reduces its negative effects, but probably also weakens its positive effects. I doubt the actual armor has anywhere near the same properties as the unrefined ore.

Possibly that yes, they never test it on actual armor or like on icecrown, would be a good question for the devs unless someone tried asking already?

Edit: Think i'll try to ask on the roleplaying forums, but first check if anyone thought about the same, though so far most just say it reflects light.

Edit 2: Yeah, not much on our question there so i'll try the forums.
Checking trough Know your lore: http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/12/16/know-your-lore-saronite/

And a strip about saronite while we're at it:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IjI2GC9wy-8/SaXCpwSv3KI/AAAAAAAAAJQ/6pgpMHMrTrI/s1600-h/Page_1.jpg

Edit 3: Was bored so thought i might as well overflow the RP forums with the question:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7713682020#1
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:03 am

The quest dialogue does say "erupts" rather than "explodes".

The ore "erupting" could be taken as retaining it's physical form but erupting magically ("bouncing back the energy"). It could also be eruption explosively and destruction of it's physical form completely.

I'm inclined to think the eruption would be the magical power. Leaving the ore "intact" physically. But perhaps damaging it (massively) on a magical/other level.

It is, however, vague. Blizzard have a tendency towards misuse of words, malapropisms and oddly used/worded phrases.

That can be annoying when someone is seeking "truth". But that's like a lot of lore, and (as said elsewhere) doesn't need to harm or hinder RP really! Just means Blizzard need to put down the thesaurus and attend further English lessons.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 am

Besides, it's not like armor made out of other materials than saronite cannot have magical properties, or that everything made out of saronite automaticly has to be super special awesome.

Really it's the magical armor motif that should come first. I can't find myself being particularily invested in things like what kind of material my armor is made of. What kind of neat magical tricks it can do, however, that's kind of cool. The how it can do that usually doesn't really concern me when I'm role-playing.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:21 am

Thelos wrote:Besides, it's not like armor made out of other materials than saronite cannot have magical properties, or that everything made out of saronite automaticly has to be super special awesome.

Really it's the magical armor motif that should come first. I can't find myself being particularily invested in things like what kind of material my armor is made of. What kind of neat magical tricks it can do, however, that's kind of cool. The how it can do that usually doesn't really concern me when I'm role-playing.

Exactly!
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

Thelos wrote:Besides, it's not like armor made out of other materials than saronite cannot have magical properties, or that everything made out of saronite automaticly has to be super special awesome.

This.

I'm the oldest death knight RPer on the server, and I've never used Saronite. I don't see the point. It's armor. There is nothing interesting about armor.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:33 am

Same thoughts Rae. Why did the lich king choose something to make everything out of especially armor that would burn or even crush the death knight in its own armor. I gave it some more thought with my logic which may be different from many other peoples logic so I aint saying im right here (for all we know I might be crazy Razz)

Eitrigg says: Clearly this is getting us nowhere. We need to get this saronite to Highlord Fordring for further study.

1. They hit it with light and it exploded a force knock back. If it exploded the saronite itself into pieces,  they would of concluded that the light destroyed the saronite ore. I understand from the dialogue that they concluded that nature, light and a reaper didn't harm the saronite ore and got them no where in their search. Last words in the dialogue were:

Eitrigg says: Clearly this is getting us nowhere. We need to get this saronite to Highlord Fordring for further study.
Eitrigg says: Thank you for trying, my friends. We'll unlock its secrets. Hopefully before it's too late.
Avenger Metz grunts.

All the above involves the ore form

Below I think they speak of making it into metal not sure.

Did a little looking around and found this:  http://www.wowwiki.com/Ashen_Verdict
The Ashen verdict learned and did the following.
Having learned how to bend [Primordial Saronite] to their will, outside of creating armor for the rank-and-file made out of saronite, the skilled smiths have also set out on a more legendary task: repurposing Arthas Menethil's former weapon, [Light's Vengeance] — discarded in lieu of Frostmourne — to forge a new weapon: [Shadowmourne].

What do they mean by this?
outside of creating armor for the rank-and-file made out of saronite

Step by step we will find out how saronite should be rped Smile

Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 am

Dorothee/Duvaineth wrote:[
What do they mean by this?
outside of creating armor for the rank-and-file made out of saronite

That the Ashen Verdict's smiths are creating weapons and armour created from the pure saronite ore (Primordial Saronite) for all their forces (assaulting the Scourge/ICC/Lich King) to wear.

"Rank and file" are the "thin red line" - the average ordinary troopers excluding the commanding officers.

It means it's in "mass" production and they have realised it's worth as a metal (or/also it's simply so abundant that they'd be silly not to use it!).

Unless your question was rhetorical.  In which case, pfffffffbt.

Last edited by Grufftoof on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 am

Drustai wrote:

This.

I'm the oldest death knight RPer on the server, and I've never used Saronite. I don't see the point. It's armor. There is nothing interesting about armor.

Dru and Thelos ill asnwer 2 in one.
I dont think think Saronite is super anything but some rpers unfortunately do. But-
Personally I think Saronite is important in DK rp and DK lore because great effort was taken to mine it and I assume the Ashen Verdict took great effort in using it from the little I have read up to now.

"Due to its rarity outside Northrend , saronite armor was only given to death knights of Acherus who truly proved themselves in battle against the enemies of the Scourge."

From this I understand. Due to its rarity outside NR the LK didnt want to waste it on those who did not prove themselves. But I think if it wasnt  important then the LK would not of taken the effort to armor those who had proven themselves with saronite. So my logic tells me its important in a dks rp.

Since I and many rp Dks in saronite we would like to RP it correctly. Ive seen emotes absorbing all sorts of magic, even magics not listed, ive seen emotes reflecting magics, Ive seen alot of things that I have found no lore facts stating go ahead and do it its safe.

So I assume the community can benefit if Dks in saronite rp the weaknesses and if any strengths their armor has properly. Looking for answers.

Last edited by Dorothee/Duvaineth on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 am

@Grufftoof
Thanxs m8 u answered my question and I can now understand the whole sentence Smile
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 am

You'd think that, four years after the release of Wrath, people would have discussed everything there is to discuss about Death Knights.

Does this mean that, in four years, we will see an emergence of threads about monk powers, and how their OP-punches are up-to-par with Hypersteel, or whatever the hip metal of the day is?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:28 am

Nope, that's the next topic "Why is Paozi using Kamehameha?"
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:36 am

erwtenpeller wrote:You'd think that, four years after the release of Wrath, people would have discussed everything there is to discuss about Death Knights.

Does this mean that, in four years, we will see an emergence of threads about monk powers, and how their OP-punches are up-to-par with Hypersteel, or whatever the hip metal of the day is?

Perhaps Razz We may even discuss rogues stealth after 10 years and then start from the beginning again making the same threads :p I didnt find any saronite threads here so I think its unique after 4 years of everything being discussed Razz
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Dorothee/Duvaineth wrote:
erwtenpeller wrote:You'd think that, four years after the release of Wrath, people would have discussed everything there is to discuss about Death Knights.

Perhaps :PWe may even discuss rogues stealth after 10 years and then start from the beginning again making the same threads :p I didnt find any saronite threads here so I think its unique after 4 years of everything being discussed Razz
I've been on this forum for only two years, and I've seen the same discussion pop up at least a dozen times. Like Thelos, I've become a great propagator of "just do whatever fits the plot" rather then "let's nitpick wowpedia for tiny details and discuss them for an eternity trying to reach a common consensus."

I don't think such a consensus exists. Anywhere. Perhaps Metzen has a sheet with "the rules" somewhere, but I doubt it. As a world of magic, storytelling in WoW is fluent, and adapts to whatever is needed for the next blob of content released.

It shows in my role-play daily. Sometimes Alph requires a lot of time and a bunch of reagents to cast a single portal, sometimes he just pulls them out of his hat at a whim. Whatever makes for a better story at the time.

erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Catari Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Sometimes Alph requires a lot of time and a bunch of reagents to cast a single portal, sometimes he just pulls them out of his hat at a whim. Whatever makes for a better story at the time.

This!

This is how we've played stuff with the Marauders for 8 years. It works. And it also helps combat most kinds of RP-Elitism. Hail common sense and fun>Lore.
Catari
Catari

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:51 pm

@ erwtenpeller I see what your trying to say.

Yes we are picking on details on this thread. To be honest this is the world of warcraft and we have to rp with what lore is given to us. Blizz claims there are no flaws in their lore. That means if we cant find an answer maybe if we pick at some little details we might. After all we rp according to their lore and not what suites us.

If I were to give up in the search Id be no better than the rper who emotes his saronite absorbing fire or arcane. Many guides have been written on many subjects. If it weren't for guides wed all have to read every little detail in every quest to know how to rp according to lore on some subjects. Thanxks to ppl who did read little details short summaries were written to help all. This list dosnt belong to me. It belongs to those who contribute in the research for answers blizz dosnt give a straight easy to grasp answer to.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Dorothee/Duvaineth wrote:Blizz claims there are no flaws in their lore.
lolwut?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Read that on another post. But the topic aint blizz here. Topic is saronite. We can take this into a PM if you prefer Smile
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Dorothee/Duvaineth wrote:We can take this into a PM if you prefer Smile
I prefer not to.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 pm

I am angry! Angry about Saronite!
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Catari Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Dorothee, i'm sorry, but making such a claim at something so dump that Blizz should have said, with no link to proof it, and then asking to get back on topic for something you changed. That's not how things work Smile
Catari
Catari

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Catari wrote:Dorothee, i'm sorry, but making such a claim at something so dump that Blizz should have said, with no link to proof it, and then asking to get back on topic for something you changed. That's not how things work Smile

I Pm the link that gave me that conclusion. So I dont name and shame anyone.
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Catari Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Naming and shaming is something you avoid to do to fellow forum users. Not Blizz. But if you dont wanna post the link here, feel free to PM it to me, and i'll post it Smile
Catari
Catari

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Catari wrote:Naming and shaming is something you avoid to do to fellow forum users. Not Blizz. But if you dont wanna post the link here, feel free to PM it to me, and i'll post it Smile

It was something another user of the forums stated. Without a link. I shouldnt of taken his word for truth. My fault. Best you dont post it so we dont name and shame the person. Let the name and shame fall to me. Im a grown up I can deal with it. Dont want any little kids runinng to their parents in tears Razz Thinking about it if anyone made my kid cry id punch their face in. Nope nope dont want any phyco dads trying to find out where I live Razz
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:31 pm

This thread has taken a surprising turn.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next