Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How important is YOUR character?

+54
Rargnasha
Dareil Sin'Valor
Solanum
Maelmoor
Kristeas Sunbinder
Brigs Morgan
Gustov
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Rhavz'amul
Broncrast
Coppersocket
Skarain
Zhaun Blackblood
Nifty
Braiden
Xen-tau
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Celistra
Zalissa
Darilas
Kozgugore Feraleye
Ledgic
Anivitas
Grim
Morgeth
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Cid
Drustai
Tuomas/Decurius
Muzjhath
Amaryl
Skaraa
Tachal
erwtenpeller
Raene
Doowor
Khendran
siegmund
Sohan
Allonia_Miral
Thrakha
Thondalar Stormleaf
Krogon Devilstep
Valdar/Melan
Dréfurion
Ixirar
Gogol
Finnabhair
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Vaell
Seranita
Thelos
Sadok
Cadaemus
58 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

How important is YOUR character? - Page 4 Empty Re: How important is YOUR character?

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Farelin/Dijie wrote:The moment I saw this thread being posted, I shook my head at it and decided I definitely won't be posting anything about my characters here. Yes, some of my characters might be more recognizable than others but I believe everything your character accomplishes should be achieved through roleplay.
Felt quite the same myself. But in light of the ongoing discussion that seems to have arisen in its stead, might I just add that I've had an utter blast RPing Koz beginning as a mere scout, only to gradually advance through OotRB's ranks and to play a few roles in general Horde RP now and then (without intended to ever want to be any figure with absolute authority). Though I had never intended for him to be what he's become in the slightest (I sometimes regret not being able to have the simple scout-RP even), it's still been quite the blast to see the character progression. I can't imagine it being very fun to have your character be insta-important/popular upon the beginning of the RP career anyway.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How important is YOUR character? - Page 4 Empty Re: How important is YOUR character?

Post by Cadaemus Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 am

Waaaaaah T.T You guys missed my point entirely, and must have outright ignored my previous post explaining Clutzcog. I never "injected" him anywhere. At the start of me RPing him he was just a befuddled gnome who wanted to survive. And he had a dream of becoming an actor! Its taken him well over an IRL year to reach any sort of fame , and he only has reached this by other players asking him for autographs etc. By NO means have I given him fame, its been you guys giving him fame! I feel a little hurt that you've made 3 pages groaning at me for something I didn't do, although it was my fault for giving off that idea.

To sum up: He's grown in fame through me rping him, and before you vets jump on me like "1 year is nothing" He is like that from the players praising him and stuff. I guess the road to acting fame is a much shorter one than the road to battle fame in RP.
Cadaemus
Cadaemus

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 am

I doubt anyone would jump on you Smile It's far more about what you do in the time you've been around than the length of time you've been around.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 am

Clutzcog wrote:Waaaaaah T.T You guys missed my point entirely, and must have outright ignored my previous post explaining Clutzcog. I never "injected" him anywhere. At the start of me RPing him he was just a befuddled gnome who wanted to survive. And he had a dream of becoming an actor! Its taken him well over an IRL year to reach any sort of fame , and he only has reached this by other players asking him for autographs etc. By NO means have I given him fame, its been you guys giving him fame! I feel a little hurt that you've made 3 pages groaning at me for something I didn't do, although it was my fault for giving off that idea.

To sum up: He's grown in fame through me rping him, and before you vets jump on me like "1 year is nothing" He is like that from the players praising him and stuff. I guess the road to acting fame is a much shorter one than the road to battle fame in RP.

I don't think we're jumping on you in any way, the original discussion just mutated into something else; everything we've said seems to be a general statement - not aimed at you.

Sorry for any confusion!
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Darilas Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 am

Arenfel/Mikhael wrote:There seem to be two different things being discussed here:
Personal Importance/Degrees of Power: In which somebody will roleplay their character as a class, which is considerably powerful and/or revered by their society. These include such professions as Paladins, Archmagi, Blademasters, Blood-Magi, Demon-Hunter, Death Knight or Wardens to name a few. (Hero classes, as dictated by Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos + Frozen Throne). In these instances, the effect seems to be a personal one - playing such an "important" class does not neccesarily have an adverse impact on other players and does not always grant power in the way of authority.
Personally, as we seem to treat both Paladins and Death Knights as normative units within our roleplaying community, I see no problem with playing out the remaining hero classes.

Authority: Here is where I believe the problem lies. Positions of authority, such as members of a standing noble house or a ruling council/monarchy. Where players "inject" themselves, into an apparent highground that apparently gives them free reign to pass judgement on characters lower down in the food chain.

... Sorry I've phrased this all horribly, it started off well and kind of fizzled out near the end D: Not taking a dig at anybody, just a few thoughts!

You missed one. Impact on other characters through RP This is a category you can't judge for yourself though, but others might want to praise you for it Wink For example: 'your character X has impacted my Z by first being a threat to him and later by feeling threatened by him. This has boosted my character's confidence and granted him motivation to become more then he was.' In this case, I think your character's 'importance' to mine is about 7/10. Smile
Darilas
Darilas

Character sheet
Name: Darilas Lionfeet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am

I foresee a forum game of "Rate the importance of the above character" coming out of this.

Before somebody decides to make one, let me know in advance so I can kill myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:52 am

Vangrel Lansire wrote:I foresee a forum game of "Rate the importance of the above character" coming out of this.

Before somebody decides to make one, let me know in advance so I can kill myself.

0/10 your characters haven't really impacted mine (yet), perhaps in the future!

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Darilas Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Haha, sorry Vangrel. I just wanted to say something nice about Arenfel :p It wasn't my intention to start a game. But now I let the demon out of the box (ghehehe) 0/10 for Dré. Never RP'd with you, sorry!
Darilas
Darilas

Character sheet
Name: Darilas Lionfeet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Even a character thrown into the position of High King can grow. It isn't about where they start but where a character ends. I've personally created the lowest of the low characters (Kyven for example) and recently created a Dalarani noble to fit into a made up house (Courcelle). Is that unfair? Is there no room for progression? Fun?

That argument seems really hollow from my point of view. I'd love to see anyone come up with a good enough reason to why people shouldn't create characters like that if they're sensible enough to RP them. These characters exist and not every lord would grow to their position in 7 years, most would not - most would inherit. If we dind't have people creating these characters, then they wouldn't exist.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 pm

ITT: everyone bitching because they received IC disrespect/were looked down upon by someone playing a high rank character. This entire thread is dildo's.
People pay for the game, they can rp what ever they want. Wether people accept it or not is just how it goes. See if someone started RPing a minister as good as Braiden, or started a necromancer as good as Drustai? Who the hell cares, let them get on with it.
I personally welcome any people who WANT to take a position that requires great responsibility. Know why? because its not easy to do. If someone claims to be the rightful heir to the throne and also a blade master and half dragon, everyone can have a field day and bitch and whine until the cows come home.
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet
Name: Zalissa Sparrow
Title: The Pirate Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:05 pm

You lot get so aggressive at what is basically fun and harmless debate and opinion swapping.

Personally, an RP community whereby no one rolled characters that were 'important' as defined by Arenfel would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.
But each to their own. If all 6 people who have decided to roleplay the decision makers in Stormwind are having fun, then that's absolutely fine.

I'll stick to roleplaying a nobody!
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm

You realise how pointless debating about this is though. Everyone is arguing over what other people are doing, and the decisions they are making.
So you surely can't come to an agreeable conclusion when the fact of the matter is that it depends on the individuals playing wow and rolling these characters.

We're RPing in a world of magic and hero's, at the end of the day most people are going to roll a paladin over a pauper. People are going to be beautiful rather than ugly, they would rather be "athletically built" over being fat - you can't put any stop to that, and it's a pie in the sky to think about. The same way thinking like "oh, wouldn't it be great if blizzard implemented doors that could be opened and closed in every house?" Yeah would be nice but it won't happen, so all of this hot air is for nothing. The only thing you can take from this is that maybe once in a while someone will rp a hobo, or someone who doesn't want to be a fucking god like so many people on this server. Maybe one day people will realise how overdone and clichè paladins that save the world, and "mysterious rogues with ambiguous morals" actually are.
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Well yes, but both sides of this debate have said that as long as the individual is having fun its no big issue.

So the debate is simply being continued by you, really Razz

I might make a new thread titled "Why are the people so angry, aggressive and defensive on these forums?"
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm not angry! I'm jigging in my chair as we speak, finishing the last of my christmas chocolate! I am however entitled to my opinion, and if I want to reinforce that I can. Lets close the thread then if all is well and resolved, what a pointless venture it's been.
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Celistra Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Zalorah wrote:I'm not angry! I'm jigging in my chair as we speak, finishing the last of my christmas chocolate! I am however entitled to my opinion, and if I want to reinforce that I can. Lets close the thread then if all is well and resolved, what a pointless venture it's been.

Pointless maybe, but at least it has given me something to read while at work Razz
Celistra
Celistra

Character sheet
Name: Celistra Silverstrike
Title: Captain of Sin Belore, Councilor of War of Silvermoon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:34 pm

Grim wrote:Well yes, but both sides of this debate have said that as long as the individual is having fun its no big issue.

So the debate is simply being continued by you, really Razz

I might make a new thread titled "Why are the people so angry, aggressive and defensive on these forums?"
And I'll make a thread "Why do people misread and become sensitive little girls on this forum?"

I don't understand why everyone believes a post without some mollycoddling must be aggressive. It's like me arguing like this...
"I don't think, erm, er, don't be angry. I love you <333, yeah friends forever. But i don't... don't think... you're right. Don't be angry SmileSmile"

Man up!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 pm

You're clearly just an idiot. And wrong. You are in fact, a fucking moron.

Which is just an example of how people tend to come across on this forum. Not actually my opinion.

There's a middle ground between meekly agreeing with everything and being aggressive. I like middle grounds, they're very... middle-y.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 pm

Calm the ham princess. Why're you so aggressive, defensive and angry?
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 pm

BECAUSE MY MUMMY NEVER HUGGED ME
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shandrea/Nar'Gaya Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:44 pm

*pulls out the popcorn.*

Also, all of my characters are random scrubs. Sure, they probably hold some importance to someone, like I (I hope...) am important to my friends, but other than that, I'm perfectly fine playing average Joe's. I probably wouldn't mind if some of them were to rise in ranks or whatever, but It's not something I strive for.

That being said, I think RP would be rather dull if there was no one around to pull the strings and give the orders.
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya

Character sheet
Name: Shandrea
Title: Vixen

https://www.facebook.com/#!/silje.s.eide

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 pm

"Oh noes, a discussion on a FORUM. Lock it down, forums are meant for anything -but- discussions!"
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Sad Neutral Very Happy Surprised Smilies. It's all about smilies. Voice tone and co Question ntext always gets lost across the web thus discussions become a flame fest in time. Remember Neutral Laughing keeps the flames away
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Well, I'm confused. The last page and a half people have been having a go at one another, but nobody seems to be disagreeing with each other?

Let's get more rainbows and happiness in here D:
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm

My Blood elves are pretty, hence they are important.
My pandaren is fat, hence he is imporant.
My Night Elf is a druid, hence she is important.

Spoiler:
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Vaell wrote:And I'll make a thread "Why do people misread and become sensitive little girls on this forum?"

I don't understand why everyone believes a post without some mollycoddling must be aggressive. It's like me arguing like this...
"I don't think, erm, er, don't be angry. I love you <333, yeah friends forever. But i don't... don't think... you're right. Don't be angry SmileSmile"

Man up!

Well said. (just noticed that we don't have a 'clapping smilie'. Would've fit in right here). cheers
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next