Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How important is YOUR character?

+54
Rargnasha
Dareil Sin'Valor
Solanum
Maelmoor
Kristeas Sunbinder
Brigs Morgan
Gustov
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Rhavz'amul
Broncrast
Coppersocket
Skarain
Zhaun Blackblood
Nifty
Braiden
Xen-tau
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Celistra
Zalissa
Darilas
Kozgugore Feraleye
Ledgic
Anivitas
Grim
Morgeth
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Cid
Drustai
Tuomas/Decurius
Muzjhath
Amaryl
Skaraa
Tachal
erwtenpeller
Raene
Doowor
Khendran
siegmund
Sohan
Allonia_Miral
Thrakha
Thondalar Stormleaf
Krogon Devilstep
Valdar/Melan
Dréfurion
Ixirar
Gogol
Finnabhair
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Vaell
Seranita
Thelos
Sadok
Cadaemus
58 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

How important is YOUR character? - Page 3 Empty Re: How important is YOUR character?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:15 pm

So you didn't retcon Seiken Lionmane/Trollbane back to life a few times?

Back to top Go down

How important is YOUR character? - Page 3 Empty Re: How important is YOUR character?

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:19 pm

I never believed in the idea of dictating your own character's importance, it always seemed a bit silly. You can throw on all the titles you want, but in the end it's other players who will decide for themselves if your character merits fear, respect, praise or infamy. I've heard a fair amount of whispers behind my back in regards to Arenfel's rank as Archmagi, but in truth it was never me who opted to push him along that path; it was players who wanted a teacher, or a player to help guide their own progression as novice arcanists.

And to echo Krogon's sentiments, can we not use this thread as another bitching ground? Please and thank you. (Lookin' at you Ephi.)

To me, it always seemed that players who place their character in a lowly position often rise to fame quicker (wanted, or un-wanted); than those who initially inject themselves into positions of power. Does anybody else agree?

Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 pm

i agree fully arenfel.. monny thoew not in any position of influence is nown by qute many people now for whatever reason.. not a minuit goes by when i log mony that rp finds its way to me due to peeps recognising her ic

and she started off as a lowly cleaner in exodar

Last edited by Monrena on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgeth Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Keep the bitching to a minimum, men. PM each other if you want to throw your hissy fits.

If you have a problem with this, then PM me.
Morgeth
Morgeth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Arenfel/Mikhael wrote: I never believed in the idea of dictating your own character's importance, it always seemed a bit silly. You can throw on all the titles you want, but in the end it's other players who will decide for themselves if your character merits fear, respect, praise or infamy. I've heard a fair amount of whispers behind my back in regards to Arenfel's rank as Archmagi, but in truth it was never me who opted to push him along that path; it was players who wanted a teacher, or a player to help guide their own progression as novice arcanists.

And to echo Krogon's sentiments, can we not use this thread as another bitching ground? Please and thank you. (Lookin' at you Ephi.)

To me, it always seemed that players who place their character in a lowly position often rise to fame quicker (wanted, or un-wanted); than those who initially inject themselves into positions of power. Does anybody else agree?

I Concur. Those who inject themselves straight into positions of power are often people who play specially for that, power. better things are earned.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Kinda ridiculous to say any comments passed by myself, Cid or Vas can be even considered as trolling.. but okay.. let's not discuss things on a forum that's made for discussions. I am out of this stupidity.

Edit: Somebody has been going crazy with the report function.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Grim Stonepaw is perhaps relatively famous for throwing spanners in the works of almost any diplomatic situation he's ever been in and for generally being an arsehole to people.
I like to think other roleplayers hate it when he gets involved with things.

He may also be famous for being a talented commander of troops. I'm not sure of this though as I tend to shy away OOC from claiming that, but it has been earnt through RP, with the Marauders at least.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Anivitas Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 pm

At one point a long time ago Belse was a renowned criminal, captured and escaped from the chapter twice. >__> And always had run in's with the guards. He was pretty much wanted in Stormwind to the point he had a bounty on his head, and half of Stormwind was trying to catch him, and the other half helping him. He's like marmite.

He's just a washed up ex-criminal now days. Go stuck in all that emotional goo and settled down to protect Humphry/Kittrina. He's icly always going on about how bored he is.
Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet
Name: The Reaper.
Title: Titleception.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

I Concur. Those who inject themselves straight into positions of power are often people who play specially for that, power. better things are earned.
This is really confusing. So you're telling me you RPed your Blademaster going through the years of hard training etc of the past? Because I know that isn't true. I'm not even wagging the finger at you like other people in the thread, I'm simply pointing out that your statement is quite hypocritical.

It shouldn't be about "Earn a position of power." but instead be responsible with what power you claim to have. This is a role-play about storytelling, this isn't us playing an RPG like Skyrim - start at the top if others are fine with it (in most cases, with enough explanation they are).

Role-play would be insanely dull if everyone started out a citizen and rose to power - and in a lot of cases, it wouldn't make sense. I'd say bollocks to anyone who tried to disrupt that sort of RP.

Everyone forges their character's past. Role-play isn't a competition or dick throwing contest, "i've been here longer so I am entitled to.." is such an idiotic point of view. People who RP generals should gain the acceptance of others if they want to rp it successfully without drama but for the most cases such as...

Lords, Barons, Ex-Ranks (former General for example), famous performers, Archmagi, Bar/company owners etc... As long as you've done your research and will play it with a bit of responsibility - knock yourselves out!

Importance doesn't always have to be earnt.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Deciding your character is a blademaster is a little different to deciding your character is head honcho of the organisation that runs everything in Stormwind though.

Just sayin'...
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Of course there are various degrees of claiming titles (I actually pointed that out in my post...) but unless someone is RPing a homeless person building their way up, we have all god emoted our past by some amount. A Blademaster is a very prestigious role, as much so as someone calling themselves famous.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Can't help but agree with Vaell here. If absolutely every single character in this community went from rags to riches, there'd be nothing to gain from that experience.

On top of that, there would be no hierachy in any city with massive amounts of RP. We wouldn't have high ranked military men and women, no "government" officials or anything of that kind. Heck, you couldn't even start a noble/military/knight order type guild because nobody could take the leading role.

I've only had the one character that I placed in a high position, and it never ended up being an issue. He's just your typical lower noble, beer and bitches etc.

Any importance of my characters has long since passed, mainly because I elected to let it fade in favour of playing the characters in the background. A lot of pressure comes with having a few characters in the spotlight for a couple of years. These days I'm happy playing the older characters I have in the quiet manner they're used to at the moment.

Taoven is probably the bigger of my characters in terms of IC importance, and even then it's merely to the members of KoS due to his rank of Captain.

"Importance" is a very subjective term anyway, if you ask me. Your idea of your character's importance is always going to be vastly different to another person.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Hmmm. Its all about degrees I guess.

If your decision fundamentally doesn't impact with anyone else's character then its fine by me. It does irritate me to see people RPing as something major though, especially with nothing building up behind it.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:54 pm

On top of that, there would be no hierachy in any city with massive amounts of RP. We wouldn't have high ranked military men and women, no "government" officials or anything of that kind. Heck, you couldn't even start a noble/military/knight order type guild because nobody could take the leading role.

All well and good, and fair play to you if you enjoy it but it makes me shudder to think of that sort of RP anyway.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Actually, most of my enjoyment of it was drained by being involved with it for so long, so, I generally pass on it these days :p

Still, it really is a matter of each to their own where RP is concerned.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Finnabhair Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Vaell and Arenfel have both said things I agree with completely. The moment I saw this thread being posted, I shook my head at it and decided I definitely won't be posting anything about my characters here. Yes, some of my characters might be more recognizable than others but I believe everything your character accomplishes should be achieved through roleplay.

Roleplayers want immersion, well...have at it! Start from the bottom and work your way up, like they do realistically. Sticking fancy titles to yourself without the connections to back them up is just silly.
Finnabhair
Finnabhair

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 pm

Vaell wrote:Of course there are various degrees of claiming titles (I actually pointed that out in my post...) but unless someone is RPing a homeless person building their way up, we have all god emoted our past by some amount. A Blademaster is a very prestigious role, as much so as someone calling themselves famous.

I understand what you mean Vaell, I imagine our view of Blademasters differs however.

To me they are warrior who opt for a life of selfless servitude for the cause, choosing poverty and duty. They have a title... one that explains what they do, but its not a rank, nor does it give them any control over anyone else. its a title showing experience attained, rather than Rank. Prestigious indeed, for their combat skills, but it doesnt make them important or 'famous'.

Did you have something else in mind?
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm not the least bit hurt. What I (and others) commented on was that you have changed and retconned that character over and over so many times, that when you said:
Would i go back and change how i RP'ed him?

we reacted a bit. Totally unnecessary to report our posts for trolling and calling out the drama-card, when we just pointed something out in the post that is slightly flawed or even wrong.
We didn't add anything extra to it, but I guess some read more to it than what actually is there... Wink
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:08 pm

There seem to be two different things being discussed here:
Personal Importance/Degrees of Power: In which somebody will roleplay their character as a class, which is considerably powerful and/or revered by their society. These include such professions as Paladins, Archmagi, Blademasters, Blood-Magi, Demon-Hunter, Death Knight or Wardens to name a few. (Hero classes, as dictated by Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos + Frozen Throne). In these instances, the effect seems to be a personal one - playing such an "important" class does not neccesarily have an adverse impact on other players and does not always grant power in the way of authority.
Personally, as we seem to treat both Paladins and Death Knights as normative units within our roleplaying community, I see no problem with playing out the remaining hero classes.

Authority: Here is where I believe the problem lies. Positions of authority, such as members of a standing noble house or a ruling council/monarchy. Where players "inject" themselves, into an apparent highground that apparently gives them free reign to pass judgement on characters lower down in the food chain.

... Sorry I've phrased this all horribly, it started off well and kind of fizzled out near the end D: Not taking a dig at anybody, just a few thoughts!
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:18 pm

If it counts, I enjoyed reading it Arenfel, and I agree with you.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 pm

I couldn't agree more Arenfel.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Nail on the head, Arenfel.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Doesn't change Vangrel being the most important character on Horde-side Defias Brotherhood one bit.

So whatever you humble scrubs. Feast your eyes upon my glorious e-peen and relish it's sight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Gamon is clearly more important.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 pm

/e relishes.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next