Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regarding groups and group-colors

+13
Amaryl
Grufftoof
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Kristeas Sunbinder
Antistia
Sorayah
Raenmar
Dréfurion
Drustai
Ledgic
Thelos
Melnerag
Cathee Norris
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Regarding groups and group-colors Empty Regarding groups and group-colors

Post by Cathee Norris Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:38 pm

I wanted to bring a discussion up regarding this.

As I am currently working on the groups and sub-sections of the forum to clean up what is not used and so on, I wanted to ask whether or not to remove the groups of what sub-forums are removed (read moved to trash for storage). As the groups are no longer used it would help to keep things less messy for the admins when working, and it would clear out the specific color too in case it wants to be used for some upcoming group-organization.

Please give me your thoughts.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Regarding groups and group-colors Empty Re: Regarding groups and group-colors

Post by Cathee Norris Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:40 pm

Also note that, rather then removing the majority of the inactive groups I will of course first try to update it and help it getting active. This issue is for groups that are for sure, not going to become active in any near future.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:50 pm

Julia wrote:I wanted to bring a discussion up regarding this.

As I am currently working on the groups and sub-sections of the forum to clean up what is not used and so on, I wanted to ask whether or not to remove the groups of what sub-forums are removed (read moved to trash for storage). As the groups are no longer used it would help to keep things less messy for the admins when working, and it would clear out the specific color too in case it wants to be used for some upcoming group-organization.

Please give me your thoughts.

Well, as much as I "hate to say it", I think removing the Circle of Darnassus, Stormwind Council & Silvermoon Council ought to be implemented. None of the groups serve ANY purpose whatsoever bar giving people a fancy color, what's the actual point? People know if you are a minister anyway if you're not inactive. As well as that I have a feeling Circle of Darnassus doesn't exist anymore, and the Silvermoon Council group is full of people who well, aren't on the Silvermoon Council.

Dumb it down to Horde, Alliance and Neutral.

Then start from scratch and go by request in my opinion by demand, group by group.

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Stormwind Council group has a neat closed section, where we actively debate the fate of the universe and exchange IC letters!
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:56 pm

I think he meant the actual color though, not the group and sub-forum per say.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:04 pm

I meant both really.

It serves no function but to give a private forum, when Skype and PM's work equally the same instead of clogging up the forum.

Strip the whole down to it's bare minimums and then work your way from scratch, whatever is on demand, remake it. It is easier.

It's like tearing down old buildings and constructing the necessary new ones!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Well the sub-forum won't be removed. That one is used a lot and holds tons of information which I know is still used. It's the same as the guild forums we offer here. It's worth mentioning things are never removed (save the occasional post which is deleted) but moved to trash where it is stored for possible future use.

The color though I think can be discussed, and more specifically though for groups that are going completely inactive. I know I received word that I could move the Silvermoon Council forum to trash which it has been. Thus having the group for it (and along with it the color) is what I'm questioning.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Just let people chose whatever color they want as a purely cosmetic choice and detach it from any groups. That's how they are de facto being used at the moment anyhow; and I see no reason to keep users from using the color of their choice, merely because the group it belongs to is inactive or whatever.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Just as an aside - the forum doesn't get "clogged up" because we've plenty more webspace than we're using.

And it doesn't clog up anyone else's view of the forum, as only people inside the group can even see it. No brainer really.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:11 pm

This can indeed be a option - Keeping the simple Horde, Alliance, Neutral. The "issue" is I would have to make groups specifically for colors to have people join the groups to get their color.

It is a shame the forum does not offer members to simply chose their color themselves.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:14 pm

It feels clogged up with multiple groups and multiple colors and you don't know what is what. Then you look into each group and more than half are really, not used for anything.

You could let people choose their own name color but I don't think that's possible, I'm admin on two pphb forums and have not come across something like that.

Another group that can definitely go is
Tanarisi tribes

The others you will definitely have to look into / pm folks / direct them here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:17 pm

It's not possible, no. I've certainly not been able to find an option or an addon.

And frankly, when it comes to the colours, the group names are all quite clearly shown at the footer of the forum. It isn't clogged.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Ledgic Caan wrote:It's not possible, no. I've certainly not been able to find an option or an addon.

And frankly, when it comes to the colours, the group names are all quite clearly shown at the footer of the forum. It isn't clogged.

Would you agree in saying that things generally are created to serve some sort of purpose? I would be willing to bet that many groups have lost their original purpose. This isn't to say that these groups can't be re-created upon request, but as I have stated, it is easier to get rid of all the unnecessary ones that really at this point serve no purpose.

Will you stop being an administrator or will your legs fall off if your name isn't dark blue anymore? I really don't think so. Granted, the Stormwind Council have their own private discussion thread, but do others? Does Valestrion stop being a guard because his name isn't light blue?

Well, I think I've made my points clear really, but I'll be watching this thread!

Thumbs up for making it to respond to peoples opinions and such, progressive.

Ediit1: At the moment, people (mostly) join groups for a nice color, so the groups may as well be called by their own colors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Personally, I think any group that isn't used should be removed. Yes, sorry Ledgic, even your nice Duskwood blue.

Groups that are being used, however, should be kept. I know for one that the Council private forums are used a lot (or rather, I've been jabbing a cattle prod into them since coming into office and making sure they are used), and I've just started up an MoD forum for the Council, Stormwind Guard, and Section Seven usergroups to use as a record keeping depository (because it's very hard to run an efficient law enforcement organization if criminal records are just kept in people's heads). So those groups at least should stay, though Section Seven could potentially be merged into the Stormwind Guard usergroup.

Infirmary shouldn't be kept as a private usergroup, though the forum could be made public for everyone. Same with Outlaws and Villains, and a single Magic forum (there's no reason to have a separate KT forum and the old MAAAMR stuff that never went anywhere). Again, all publicly viewable, with no usergroups, as there's no sense any of those being private and never was.

Circle should be removed, yup. And possibly Banner? Have they/do they use that forum? And the event blackboards should be removed.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:01 pm

I have no clear sight on what is and isn't being used, but everything that's not can go really.

So as much as it pains me to lose the night elven purple, remove the circle forums and group it's not being used at all.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:22 pm

It serves no function but to give a private forum, when Skype and PM's work equally the same instead of clogging up the forum.

Forums are much more organized than Skype/IMs.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorayah Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Because I love the Circle of Darnassus color, I say the old groups be locked for new members but the old ones be let keep their color. And I believe everyone in there has (well, had, at some point) a reason to be in apart from just the color. Cool
Though if you would rather remove such groups completely, I'd totally understand.
Sorayah
Sorayah

Character sheet
Name: Sorayah Moonseeker
Title: Priestess of the Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm

I have decided on a minor change for the time being, where groups with limited access (as not everyone can join due to several reasons) will be considered "guilds" and "guild forums", and as such I will remove those group-colors (not the groups themselves of course if they are being used).

Meanwhile, groups where everyone can join I will keep the color on for now, until I've figured out what would be the best cause of action here.

Meanwhile I'll of course still be open for suggestions.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Looks better! Now just PURGE Infirmary, Magic, Villains and Outlaws, Guard Guilds and Duskwood!
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:56 pm

My name isn't piss-yellow anymore! \o/
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Melnerag wrote:Looks better! Now just PURGE Infirmary, Magic, Villains and Outlaws, Guard Guilds and Duskwood!

Seconded.

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Melnerag wrote:Looks better! Now just PURGE Infirmary, Magic, Villains and Outlaws, Guard Guilds and Duskwood!

I'd prefer guard guilds to be kept, since guards need access to the private Ministry of Defense forum that I've set up. Just need to get hopping on that; need to start putting up more threads and details and pester people to start using it.

The other ones I agree with removing.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Oh, I thought that was open for all. My bad.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:21 pm

My name... Is green.

I would like to go on record that I object in the strongest terms to this administrative action. It has caused me emotional damage and will continue to do so for as long as my name is not returned to the beautiful color (not green or any other color, but a dark reddish color) that it once was.

Refusal to return my name to this color will force me to sue the one responsible for that forum change on the grounds of article 6:162 of the Dutch Civil Code so as to ensure proper financial compensation is provided to me for the damage that has been incurred upon me, and continues to be incurred upon me.

On a more serious note (which is not to say that the previous paragraphs were not serious): It may be best to strip it down to 4 colors or so for 4 groups: Registering, Horde, Alliance and Neutral. I'm doubtful as to whether the last one is even necessary.

Last edited by Antistia on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Melnerag wrote:Oh, I thought that was open for all. My bad.

No, since it is intended to include private postings to guards, investigation findings that shouldn't be open to the public, etc.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next