Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplaying and large groups.

+7
Mandui
Kittrina
Amaryl
Muzjhath
Feydor
Seranita
Raelan
11 posters

Go down

Roleplaying and large groups. Empty Roleplaying and large groups.

Post by Raelan Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm

The past few months I've witnessed a rather sad phenonemon emerging in roleplay.

Just for the sake of it, let's call it mobmoting.
What is mobmoting you ask? Simple. Ganging up on one individual with a sizeable group of adversaries

Is it godemoting? Ofcourse not, but this situation does leave the victim little choice in his/her actions, and most of the time it's inevitable you force the victim in a position he never intended to be at or even plainly doesn't want to his/her character to be in OOC'ly, and which is hard to escape without causing drama (And some people plainly don't want to be "rude" by doing so.)

Whereas godemoting is 90% of the cases due to the inability/inexperience of that person, mobmoting is in 90% of the cases commited by "proper" roleplayers. People who should know better, who should realise the consequences of their actions and who's own vision of their RP is hard to change, after all, they've been roleplaying for quite a while now, they can't be that blind, surely? Thus in a way, mobmoting is worse then godemoting.

Mobmoting; anyone with any common sense will realise this; is bad RP, just like godemoting it's only goal is "winning", not roleplay for the sake of both sides having a good time.

The people who've been doing this, you know well enough who you are. I can only hope you will start living up to the standards you think you're at.

Honestly, I kinda feel silly for having to point this out, it's so blatantly obvious.

TL;DR: Stop behaving like tards, ganging up on one guy, it's bad RP and you ought to know better.

Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying and large groups. Empty Re: Roleplaying and large groups.

Post by Seranita Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm

something makes me think you have been the "victim" of this thing beffor Razz

it all depends on the senario realy, if you attacked someone and a load of people saw it, if there are no guards present, expect a mobing ,
howerver if guards are present then mobing is bad, also if you are the victim of a crime mobing is not needed eather so i understand and simpethise,
the best thing is,.. dont let others mob you.
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Indeed, as Chareshia said, if you are 1 guy alone, surrounded by plenty of folk and then -you- try to attack, you reap what you sow.

In other cases, you are correct.
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Depends, there are cases where ganging up is the only propper action.

A gang of low lives trying to mug someone stupid enough not just to give them some coins and leave. In this situation the gang as a whole, minus one person who'd be a lookout, -would- go in to beat the person. Safety in numbers.
The same is the reverse. Guards in most settings walk in pairs (even police patroles that are solo are within easy reach of the next). This is because a pair has a much higher likely hood of apprahending a lone fellon, not even talking about a group. In this case aswell, they would work together.

While it might feel hard on the one in the lone man's shoes it actually can be roleplayed good, and atleast in those two scenarios, and in a handful more, it is the only and imo propper course of action if you don't settle a physical challange with a duel (Or, multiple duels). Sure, at times a gang might send out someone alone when they have someone they don't like surrounded. But that is mostly just so they can have a bigger reason to beat the crap out of the guy: "He beat our friend! Let's get him!"

The problem here when roleplaying I would say is that you need to communicate OOCly to make sure too many toes aren't stepped on, aswell as maybe give the other side a chance to run (If it is a verbal confrontation I say nothing, since it is a fully different topic). If the person has had amble oportunities already, well. Though luck.
I myself have been in both situations, being the surrounded aswell as the surroundie.

So, while it in your opinion is "bad" and "wrong" since it take's away choise. I think it is the valid action for several groups. Guards and thugs as my two examples. The cat thief and pick pocket are better off alone or as a pair with a worker and a lookout. Who are better of running in any case.

Just my two cents.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 pm

First of all, my latest experience with this has been a good time ago, as I barely rp actively anymore.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with attacking a large group on your own.
One can be surrounded out of the blue, offered no proper way for escape, or the adversaries can have more come after they've got him in a secluded spot.

Lack of communication OOC probably had a whole lot to do with it, but sometimes, you just ought to know better. (Or maybe I'm just that stupid to expect so much from people)

Last edited by Raelan/Relithien on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:06 pm

then explain the senario in question as we are clearly missing your point Smile
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Insulting a group of people of a single organisation that are gathered at specific spot and then if they keep insulting the group after they're told to fuck off in one manner or another, then you failed to take your "get out of jail freecard" so to speak... then expect a mobbing...

that said oocly bring in people to mob on people is always bad Razz and as all things, ooc communication is key. if you're mobbed on and you don't want it, you could just you know /w and ask for an out.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Chareshia/Veshneta wrote:then explain the senario in question as we are clearly missing your point Smile

Explaining is not needed. People who do this, know who they are. And frankly I'm ashamed of it. We didn't have this stupid shit in Vanilla. Neither did we have the dozen of gunshots every evening.

Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:26 pm

In principle I can see how it could be frustrating, the main thing is if you have an honest problem with the way events unfold, to talk about it oocly to the people doing the mobbing.

There's lots of situations where going alone would realistically lead to a mobbing ICly, is the thing, and it seems kind of petulant to complain about getting a thrashing if you get caught out at those moments.

Case in point, my character recently went alone to recruit someone, looking shady, got accosted by a patrol of Chapterians, and as a result of fighting/running rather than coming queitly, got the hell beat out of her/tortured for two days.

I don't particularly mind bad things happening as long as they make sense, in this case it's led to some very creepy but awesome rp (Chapter=freaky) and a whole chain of in character consequences. I think mobbing's only inexcusable when:

a. people keep on with it after the victims asked for a halt for whatever reason oocly (events planned, RL stuff to do...whatever)
b. it's being done for meta reasons (eg attacks based on guild tags without any particular IC confirmation the victim's from that guild)
c. related to b, if it's unprovoked icly
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Raelan/Relithien wrote:Neither did we have the dozen of gunshots every evening.
Amen. SW > Anaheim by now tbfh.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 pm

This is pretty much why Crimsons are...well..y'know.

"Mobmoting" is pretty much why I've gave up random roleplay and steered clear of anyone that looked remotely like a criminal. I've no problem with something bad happening to a character of mine, but if they don't have the decency to inform me that I'm about to get beaten/taken hostage and have to probably stay online alot longer then I thought I would, then I will not roleplay it. But daz just me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:24 pm

"Mobmoting"? Seriously? I am sorry but that is just ridiculous ... I know that there should be a line on what is not stupid and what isn't when it comes to emote fighting or whatever, but this is just silly to put it bluntly imo. Next you will be telling people that they can't use knives or spells or whatver in roleplay anymore because that is an unfair advantage!!! If we remove anything that is even remotely risky from rp then we would only be left with tea parties (and maybe not even that because if the tea is too hot and it burns me ITS GOD EMOTING!!!!! !!!) please...

If "mobmoting" is done realistically and not in an extremely stupid scenario, like ganging up on people in the middle of like the bank or something, then it's fine imo. It adds realism to rp and without realism there is no immersion.
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Why bother, 70% of this realm is too dumb to find their own arse, and one person in this thread doesn't realise he's doing this very thing himself.

Then again, if they fail to recognise the efforts certain people did for this realm (No, not me), and instead try to drag them down everytime, without knowing shit on the subject, it's a bit silly of me to hope they could understand this.

Yes, Sprackle, I'm talking about you. You were shit in vanilla and after all these years, you only got worse. But I suppose that sums you up pretty nicely.
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Raelan/Relithien wrote:Yes, Sprackle, I'm talking about you. You were shit in vanilla and after all these years, you only got worse. But I suppose that sums you up pretty nicely.
Looking forward to see what the moderators are going to do about this.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm

How about you just leave seeing you don't like it here, you failure of a two-feet Scareface wannabe?

Guess what, Saints Row/GTA/Mafia II that way ----------->

Mod comment: This thread needs to get a lot more polite and focused on civil discussion of the actual topic, right now. Consider this aimed at everyone.

Last edited by Raelan/Relithien on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:59 pm

There are certain.. forms of conduct I (when the OTS was active, at least) tried to spread among the guild. Point being that even criminals want the end result with minimal effort. If it's theft and you're surrounding someone, you can quite easily threaten them with a mob beating and simply have them hand their possessions over to avoid it.

Of course, putting another roleplayer in a position whereby the only option they have is to allow their character to have the snot beaten out of them, strikes me as pretty shite. You can't expect someone to provide you with 'enjoyable' RP without giving the same thing to the person you're RP'ing with.

Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Raelan/Relithien wrote:Why bother, 70% of this realm is too dumb to find their own arse, and one person in this thread doesn't realise he's doing this very thing himself.

Then again, if they fail to recognise the efforts certain people did for this realm (No, not me), and instead try to drag them down everytime, without knowing shit on the subject, it's a bit silly of me to hope they could understand this.

Yes, Sprackle, I'm talking about you. You were shit in vanilla and after all these years, you only got worse. But I suppose that sums you up pretty nicely.

Roleplaying and large groups. 129157480399137911
Lol @ you

Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyaska Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm

This thread, oh wow.

If you get confronted by an armed gang irl, do you go "lol u mad, why cant u play fair 1v1? ffs i dont live for this"

And then insulting everyone who disagrees? You deserve everything you get.

Moderator: Locking because people didn't heed the warning. Take some time to cool off and put away the the stupid remarks and image macros
Cyaska
Cyaska

Character sheet
Name: Syenna Celeste (EVE)
Title: (NA NA NA NA NA!) Space Pirate!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down