Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stormwind law - Improvements, updates, suggestions. A discussion thread. (Updated with drafts of the new laws)

+38
Ralegh
Rmuffn
Grufftoof
Gogol
Nifty
Quin
Valestrion
Humphry
Sharyssa/Adenah
Azarion
erwtenpeller
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Beladon
Remai D'Waltir
Tuomas/Decurius
Rae Wulfgnar
Krogon Devilstep
Grim
Thrakha
Ledgic
Axio
Kil'drakor
Ixirar
Khendran
Lexgrad
Seranita
Samian/Bismack
Antistia
Amaryl
Skarain
Thelos
Melnerag
Vaell
Thondalar Stormleaf
siegmund
Jeanpierre
Drustai
Braiden
42 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Stormwind law - Improvements, updates, suggestions. A discussion thread. (Updated with drafts of the new laws) Empty Stormwind law - Improvements, updates, suggestions. A discussion thread. (Updated with drafts of the new laws)

Post by Braiden Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 am

Why hello there. Seeing as my character Braiden made minister of justice recently I tought it might be a good idea to open discussion concerning Stormwind law. Stormwind law affects people roleplaying in the Kingdom of Stormwind obviously and as such it makes sense to take in suggestions from the community to have in consideration when working on revising laws.

Leave your ideas and suggestions for improvements in various aspects of law, mainly the actual laws but also the magistrate system and such. Try to motivate your ideas and keep in mind that this thread is OOC.

Edit, draft for new laws:

1.0 Crimes against the Crown
Crimes against the Crown are the most severe transgressions one can make against the Kingdom of Stormwind, as such a magistrate is always required provided the matter is not settled in Court-martial.

1.1 High Treason
Involvement in attempts on His Majesty King Varian Wrynns life or directly aiding foreign powers considered enemies of the Kingdom of Stormwind through any means.

1.2 Treason
Attempts to undermine the rule of His Majesty King Varian Wrynn through undermining, exploiting or violently opposing his officials or institutions.

2.0 Major Crimes
Guidelines from the ministry of justice states that major crimes be handled by a magistrate. Punishments are not specified as they may vary depending on severity.

2.1 Armed Assault
Attacking a Stormwind citizen or an ally of Stormwind with use of weapons or magic. Note that attempts to kill an individual is charged as attempted murder.

2.2 Assault on a Royal official
Attacking a Royal official of Stormwind physically or magically, with or without weapons.

2.3 Assault on a Stormwind Noble
Attacking an individual of Stormwindian noble blood physically or magically, with or without weapons.

2.4 Blackmail
Threatening to reveal information about or to cause harm to a person, their family members, associates, organization, property or belongings unless demands are met.

2.5 Contempt of court
Disrupting or preventing the work of a Stormwind court of law.

2.6 Cultism
Being part of or aiding an organization or worshipping a being or power declared an enemy of the Church of Holy Light.
Note: All convicted cultists are to recieve a brand with the letter ”C”, placed in their forehead in addition to their sentence.

2.7 Improper use of magic
Irresponsible or criminal use of magic or magical abilities, where it may cause harm to persons or property.

2.8 Murder
Taking the life of another individual without lawful cause.

2.9 Oathbreaking
Breaking an official oath witnessed by a magistrate of the realm. Also applies to cases where documentation from an oath has been confirmed genuine by a magistrate of the realm.

2.10 Sedition
Inciting hostile, aggressive or violent action to undermine the rule of His Majesty King Varian Wrynn, including his officials and institutions trough any means.

2.11 Use of forbidden magic
Practicing magic restricted by the Stormwind magi tower including tapping into necromantic, demonic or shadow sources of any kind without approval from the Stormwind magi tower, the Stormwind ministry of Justice or the Stormwind army. This also includes artifacts or objects infused with said energies. Exceptions in section 4.4 applies.

2.12 Escaping detention
Escaping from a facility where the subject is lawfully detained through any means.

2.13 Forgery
Forging official documents, contracts, deeds, records or identification.

3.0 Minor Crimes
Minor crimes are crimes that can be handled without the involvement of a magistrate unless deemed severe or there is doubt of guilt. Suggested punishments are specified for each crime and should be administered shortly after arrest if not overruled by an officer of appropriate rank.

3.1 Adultery
A married man or woman engaging in activities of sexual nature with someone other then their spouse without the express consent of said spouse.
Punishment: The letter A branded on the back of the right hand, public humiliation. Grounds for divorce, financial compensation to the one the crime is committed against can be decided upon by a Magistrate depending on the resources of the one committing the crime.

3.2 Breaking and entering
Breaking into or entering restricted property without a written search warrant.
Punishment: A fine of double the cost to repair the damage, penal labour. In cases deemed more severe or in case of repeated offences a hand or individual fingers may be removed.

3.3 Desecration of holy ground
Vandalising a site deemed holy by the Church of the Holy Light.
Punishment: Up to two weeks service to the Church of the Holy Light to repent depending on severity, a fine of double the cost to repair the damage to the church and a fine of two weeks salary to the Kingdom.

3.4 Disrupting a Stormwind official on duty
Disrupting a Stormwind official on duty trough physical or verbal actions.
Punishment: A fine of one weeks salary or ten lashes.

3.5 Disturbing the peace
Upsetting the order in a public space trough disruptive actions or vocal expressions.
Punishment: A fine of a days salary or a day in jail.

3.6 Faiure to pay taxes
Failure to pay taxes within the allotted time frame.
Punishment: A fine worth double the amount not payed to be payed within a month or a month worth of penal labour. In cases where the sum is substantial the period of penal labour may be extended.

3.7 Obstruction of justice
Hindering or delaying the work of law enforcers.
Punishment: A fine of one weeks salary or ten lashes. In more severe cases punishment may be made more severe.

3.8 Resisting arrest
Refusing to cooperate when being arrested by law enforcers.
Punishment: A fine of one weeks salary or ten lashes. In more severe cases additional prison time or penal labour may be issued.

3.9 Defamation
A disrespectful expression against the rule of His Majesty King Varian Wrynn, including his officials and institutions trough vocal, written or physical means.
Punishment: Ten lashes, public humiliation and a fine of one weeks salary.

3.10 Smuggling
Bringing goods into the kingdom without paying appropriate tariffs.
Punishment: Branding, public humiliation and compensating the kingdom for double the lost tariff money trough coin or labour.

3.11 Theft
Stealing the property of a Stormwind citizen, the Kingdom of Stormwind or an ally of Stormwind.
Punishment: A fine of one weeks salary, branding , public humiliation and compensating the victim for double the the value of the items stolen trough coin or labour in addition to returning the stolen property. In cases deemed more severe or in case of repeated offences a hand or individual fingers may be removed.

3.12 Unarmed assault
Attacking a Stormwind citizen or an ally of Stormwind without the use of weapons or magic. Note that attempts to kill an individual is charged as attempted murder.
Punishment: A night in jail and a fine of one days salary.

3.13 Vandalism
Defiling or destroying property of the kingdom of Stormwind, the church of Holy Light, Stormwind citizens or allies of Stormwind.
Punishment: A fine equal to double the cost of repairing destroyed property.

4.0 Additions

4.1 Attempted crimes
A crime that was attempted but did not succeed is still eligible to be punished as a crime that has succeeded.

4.2 Instigated crimes
Encouraging others to commit crimes and succeeding is a criminal offence and may be punished as if the instigator committed said crime as well depending on circumstance.

4.3 Assisted crimes
Aiding others in any way to commit a crime may be punished as if the person assisting the convict committed said crime as well depending on circumstance.

4.4 The Ebon treaty
Death knights affiliated with the Ebon Blade are considered an exception from section 2.11 when it comes to practising necromancy and shadow magic as per decree of His Royal Majesty King Varian Wrynn. They are also exempt from article 4.5. Restrictions on using necromantic and shadow related abilities still apply while within the Kingdoms borders unless given clearance.

4.5 Undead and demons
Undead or demons that have not been reanimated or summoned with express permission of the Stormwind Magi tower, the Stormwind army or the Stormwind Ministry of Justice is considered illegal and are to be turned in to the authorities for disposal if possible. Exceptions as per section 4.4 apply and arrangements made by the Stormwind army or the Stormwind Ministry of Justice.

4.6 Torture
Minor physical violence applied by guardsmen in order to interrogate a captured prisoner is allowed in cases where considered justified legal. Major physical violence, magical and alchemical methods of interrogations can be approved by the Ministrys of Justice and Defense. Suspicions of misconduct can be reported to the Ministry of Justice.

4.7 House Arrest
Stormwind nobility and higher officials such as Magistrates or Ministers of the Crown have the right to house arrest if charged with a Major or Minor crime. The Minister of Justice may in cases where justified void this right.

Last edited by Braiden on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Stormwind law - Improvements, updates, suggestions. A discussion thread. (Updated with drafts of the new laws) Empty Re: Stormwind law - Improvements, updates, suggestions. A discussion thread. (Updated with drafts of the new laws)

Post by Drustai Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:38 am

I'd really, really like the laws to be expanded greatly. Each of them now are extremely barebones and open to interpretation. Each needs a lot more specifics to be really useful, I'd say.

Also, as I was talking to Exaythe earlier, what I'd really like to see is having all members of certain 'less reputable' groups have to be legally registered with the government. Like, all death knights and warlocks need to be registered, all worgen, etc. With anyone who is not registered being an illegal who can be tried to the fullest extent of the law. Serves to keep those groups 'in check', ICly.

But yeah. My big thing is expanding the laws to get rid of the confusion. Like, is it Assault if a guard attacks a prisoner? Or are there times where assault is 'okay'? Etc. Stuff like that is currently not in the laws as they stand.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Stormwind law - Improvements, updates, suggestions. A discussion thread. (Updated with drafts of the new laws) Empty Re: Stormwind law - Improvements, updates, suggestions. A discussion thread. (Updated with drafts of the new laws)

Post by Drustai Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 am

Oh, and another thing. On dark magic. The current laws for them are rather bad. For example, the whole 'tacking on' of shadow magic onto the fel magic law was pure laziness. It should have been its own separate law.

My suggestion would be to have an entire category on dark magic (or even just magic, period). Then, at least the three following categories:

Necromancy
Demonology
Shadow Magic, Unspecified

The latter being any shadow magic that falls outside the boundaries of necromancy/fel.

Each section should include subsections on areas such as study (is it legal to study for the purpose of countering it? If so, who may conduct such studies? Etc), use (is it legal to use in certain circumstances? If so, by whom and for what purposes?), and so on.

You could, of course, list other, lesser irreputable or dangerous magicks, which would likewise have less restrictions but still require some manner of rules. Like blood magic, chronomancy, battle magic, etc.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:59 am

Drustai wrote:Also, as I was talking to Exaythe earlier, what I'd really like to see is having all members of certain 'less reputable' groups have to be legally registered with the government. Like, all death knights and warlocks need to be registered, all worgen, etc. With anyone who is not registered being an illegal who can be tried to the fullest extent of the law. Serves to keep those groups 'in check', ICly.
I have discussed this with Rufias (Remai) previously when it comes to warlocks, death knights, shadowmancers etc and it's very likely to happen. I also discussed it a little with Exaythe last week.

Drustai wrote:I'd really, really like the laws to be expanded greatly. Each of them now are extremely barebones and open to interpretation. Each needs a lot more specifics to be really useful, I'd say.
This is my personal intent to do at the very least, considering I have held trials myself I know how riddiculus things can get because the law lacks clarity.

In addition to this I can add that there's going to be a system in place eventually that's similar to the old swift justice proposal to make sure the whole questioning of sentencing rights and such is cleared up. Valestrion has been making alot of suggestions on this front, so has Jarric and seeing as I found Melnerags old suggestion on the council forum aswell I'd say there's plenty of material to work with.

Drustai wrote:Oh, and another thing. On dark magic.

Have an entire category on dark magic. Labelled Dark Magic, or Forbidden Magic, or what not. Then, at least the three following categories:

Necromancy
Demonology
Shadow Magic, Unspecified

The latter being any shadow magic that falls outside the boundaries of necromancy/fel.

Each section should include subsections on areas such as study (is it legal to study for the purpose of countering it? If so, who may conduct such studies? Etc), use (is it legal to use in certain circumstances? If so, by whom and for what purposes?), and so on.

You could, of course, list other, lesser irreputable or dangerous magicks, which would likewise have less restrictions but still require some manner of rules. Like blood magic, chronomancy, battle magic, etc.
Magic laws in general is going to get an update which I intend to work with the minister of magic on, it's good to have suggestions to work from and I'd say these are solid to start with.
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:14 am

The Disciples will be requesting an audience with Braiden soon specifically regarding these magic laws. At it seems to have quite a buzz in the community, it might provide a good basis for a character like Braiden to use this momentum to get a new ... convenient... law pushed through.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 am

Thumbs up.
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 am

Jeanpierre/Ragnilde wrote:The Disciples will be requesting an audience with Braiden soon specifically regarding these magic laws.

Dru will want to be present for this. And as JP offered such in his letter, make sure to give me an invite whenever you get around to it!
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:52 am

Drustai wrote:
Also, as I was talking to Exaythe earlier, what I'd really like to see is having all members of certain 'less reputable' groups have to be legally registered with the government. Like, all death knights and warlocks need to be registered, all worgen, etc. With anyone who is not registered being an illegal who can be tried to the fullest extent of the law. Serves to keep those groups 'in check', ICly.

This.

Is something that probably makes the most sense and would lorewise as well surely the king isn't stupid enough to let them go unchecked but doesn't hunt em down just for being what they are... He would ask of aid of warlocks at times. And swiftly deal with them if they try anything funny.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:23 am

Drustai wrote:

My two Death Knights resent this suggestion. They do not wish to be registered. But OOC'ly I agree. Would create a lot of interesting play.

Onto a law I know us undead would like to see, is Death Knight to be able to at least mount up in the city :3
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 am

Onto a law I know us undead would like to see, is Death Knight to be able to at least mount up in the city :3

Depends what he mounts i'd say, if you mean the cool dead horse... then nope...
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am

The issue with a DK mounting up is that their steed is extremely unholy and if they sat on a regular horse, they'll wither and destroy it with each passing moment.

I agree about updates to law, magic law, etc. Build the laws so they must go through a process - for example; to use a simple fel spell, you'd have to inform the Mage's Tower, who will gather the Kirin Tor. They will come to a suggestion and meet with the Council. This will allow more role-play to come from simple things.

Also, as Drustai said, more firm laws which people can't find simple loopholes. A loophole should be something worked out by one, not by all.

I also agree with regulations on undead, Worgen etc. Again, it'll allow for more tense role-play. Glathor and Jarric Buckholme were both hoping to push heavily for this.
^
Related to this point, I'd also like to see - but we'll be pushing it IC - is a build up of regulations against these 'untrusted groups'. Perhaps DKs must hand over their weapons at the gate of Stormwind or all Worgen must clip their claws etc.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 am

Lets not forget that many role-players actually never visit this forum. So the whole 'you have to register!' may strike slap them in the face all of a sudden when some guard approaches a worgen.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:25 am

Melnerag wrote:Lets not forget that many role-players actually never visit this forum. So the whole 'you have to register!' may strike slap them in the face all of a sudden when some guard approaches a worgen.
GHI item needs to be made for this reason and along with all laws being announced at the Council. Law books handed out to citizens etc.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 am

The same that goes for these forums goes for GHI, not every roleplayer uses it.

But then again it should be obvious that you don't press this sort of roleplaying on to players who do not want to take part in it. Only on those that have agreed to be part of this particular community. You don't want to ostrasize newcomers with too much player-made lore and information all at once, do you?
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:49 am

No, I would make it more simple than that Vaell. Simply demand a name or reference, or a paper. Anyone can emote having it. It's up to the roleplayer to decide if he has legal, forged, or no papers.
In the end, fire it back entirely to the roleplayer of the "registered" character with "pretended" central governance, but without -actual- central gorvernance.
You don't have to be listed here as KT mage to be one, or Vaell is not a KT mage Smile
And that's how easy mistakes can be made.

Compare that to the papers Dru presented to prove she was working under order. She whispers the authenticity. And that's all there is to it. Henceforth, for my char, those papers are a fact.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:52 am

Jeanpierre/Ragnilde wrote:No, I would make it more simple than that Vaell. Simply demand a name or reference, or a paper. Anyone can emote having it. It's up to the roleplayer to decide if he has legal, forged, or no papers.
In the end, fire it back entirely to the roleplayer of the "registered" character with "pretended" central governance, but without -actual- central gorvernance.
You don't have to be listed here as KT mage to be one, or Vaell is not a KT mage Smile
And that's how easy mistakes can be made.

Compare that to the papers Dru presented to prove she was working under order. She whispers the authenticity. And that's all there is to it. Henceforth, for my char, those papers are a fact.

Basicly this. Common sense, flexibility, and little to no dependance on any one or group of players, forum, or addon.

As long as those three things are in order, I can only see interesting roleplay spawn from this!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:36 pm

What I would love to see, though, is better-organized punishments. Guilds like the Disciples, the Regiment and the Chapter have training programmes and I think it would be fun if a criminal was forced to work for one of these three for a while as a punishment while being 'reformed'.

Clearly, all trigger-happy, psychopathic madmen should be assigned to the Chapter. We will give them the family they have always needed and wanted
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Melnerag wrote:Lets not forget that many role-players actually never visit this forum. So the whole 'you have to register!' may strike slap them in the face all of a sudden when some guard approaches a worgen.

Well you don't need to register anymore just to view this forum, bar Events and General Chat

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:29 pm

Pert. If i do log out, i see only Public Section. Library and Group forums.
So IC Section, Events, LF RP, Game Related, General Chat and Registery are all hidden.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:35 pm

what about if you register without being approved and put in alliance/horde group?

that said, as much as i like simplicity, shit like a needed registration, shouldn't be forced in, for all worgen or deadknights etc, because frankly that is a drama cake ready to be cut and eaten.

The best you can do is force registration on -orders- if they make too much ruckus. since that would alleviate randoms and newbies from unwarranted ooc-hazzle. and actually give an RP motive to organisations that actually do roleplay with the server law as well as immediately being a small punishment...

even just tossing a whisper to a newbie, /w you can just make it up! will come across as a form of exclusion.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Vaell wrote:
Related to this point, I'd also like to see - but we'll be pushing it IC - is a build up of regulations against these 'untrusted groups'. Perhaps DKs must hand over their weapons at the gate of Stormwind or all Worgen must clip their claws etc.

No DK will hand over their weapon willingly. After all, it *is* their soul. So that would be a no in my eyes. Register however would be fun. Very Happy
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excuse_(legal)

Incorporate some form of these into the legal system. Not through jurisprudence but actually put these excuses into law.

For example, and I'm taking one from actual Dutch law, when someone assaults you, you're free to defend yourself. Someone punches you and you punch back, that kind of stuff. (We call it 'noodweer' and it's a tad more complicated than I just described but still) Obviously this one speaks for itself. It'd be a nice addition to the legal system overall.

Not that I RP anymore, just figured I'd throw this one out there.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Samian/Bismack Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:13 pm

I'd like to see it allowed to confiscate weapons(Due to improper use) in Stormwind the same way people are allowed to issue warrants

I'd also like to see that insulting people racist remarks etc would be considered instigating crime(Which it often is since it leads to fights)

Also a law/rule around "random" frisking, not that we cant frisk people already but it´d be nice to have a law on it.

I also like all the suggestions made in the thread, even the registering for deathknights, worgen, people that are riding a dragon. I do not think it has to be anything official or require a thread on these forums. When Worgen or deathknights misbehave you just ask them for paperwork then whisper them how they can roleplay just having it and if they dont have it the guards can help them provide it without any issue as long as the deathknight/worgen behaves
Samian/Bismack
Samian/Bismack

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Adrianna Leeria Maldoran wrote:
Vaell wrote:

No DK will hand over their weapon willingly. After all, it *is* their soul. So that would be a no in my eyes. Register however would be fun. Very Happy
Who said they'd have a choice?! Razz

The wouldn't die without it though, which a lot of DK seem to believe.

EDIT: The Regiment and Council implimenting a "Only guards are allowed to carry weapons." rule would be awesome. It'd stop a lot of unrealistic escapes when people are having a sword fight, as there will be few people having said sword fight. More brawls!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next