Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting lore answers from Round 2 of Ask CDev...

+21
Saevir
Lini
Frostfeather
Odgan / Keag
Nicalos Jefferson
Aleric
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kittrina
Melnerag
Gahalla
Nayan
Magaskawee/Anaei
Teebo
Lexgrad
Gesh
Jeanpierre
Sanara
Lavian
Dréfurion
Geneviève
Drustai
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Interesting lore answers from Round 2 of Ask CDev... Empty Interesting lore answers from Round 2 of Ask CDev...

Post by Drustai Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Full thread here.

Some of the more interesting answers (in my opinion) below:

Q: Are the Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPG books considered canon?

A: No. The RPG books were created to provide an engaging table-top role-playing experience, which sometimes required diverging from the established video game canon. Blizzard helped generate a great deal of the content within the RPG books, so there will be times when ideas from the RPG will make their way into the game and official lore, but you are much better off considering the RPG books non-canonical unless otherwise stated.

This one makes me sad, because it completely negates a previous comment by Metzen and GMs that the RPG source books did reflect canon. These were hugely valuable resources, particularly when arguing canon.

Q: What is the Argent Crusade's relationship with the Forsaken, in light of Sylvanas's recent actions?

A: Although the members of the Argent Crusade still stand by the Forsaken heroes who joined them in the battle against the Scourge, Sylvanas's actions since the slaying of Arthas have deeply concerned the crusaders. They, along with certain members of the Ebon Blade, are now watching Sylvanas and the Forsaken very closely, as similarities between her and the Lich King are increasing in number by the day.

At least they have noticed. Rolling Eyes

Q: Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?

A: It is difficult to say, as there are no known records of undead wielding the Holy Light before the Third War. There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

For us undead players (Forsaken and Death Knights), this confirms a few things:

1) Senses are dulled, not normal or numb. (personal victory for me, since that's how I've always RPed it Very Happy)
2) Positive emotions are very rare, but apparently possible and can be improved.
3) Using the Light can in fact partially return some aspects of life to the undead.

Q: Why are humans who drink the blood of worgen unable to be raised as Forsaken?

A: Not only are the Val'kyr less powerful than the Lich King when it comes to raising the undead, but the worgen curse also makes raising them into undeath far more difficult than it is for normal humans. The worgen curse has roots in both the Emerald Dream (through the wolf Ancient, Goldrinn) and the holy power of the goddess Elune. In addition, those worgen who imbibe the waters of Tal'doren-through the ritual they undergo to maintain balance between the worgen curse and their humanity-have a further resistance to the corruption of undeath.

Simply: Worgen can be raised into undeath. It is just extremely difficult to do so.

Q: Are blood elf death knights still afflicted by their racial addiction to magic?

A: No, though their new addiction, the one all Ebon Blade death knights possess, is arguably worse: the need to inflict pain. If death knights do not regularly inflict agony upon another creature, they begin to suffer wracking pains that could drive them into a mindless, blood-seeking hysteria-a far worse fate than that of those who suffer from arcane withdrawal.

A more clear evidence that the hunger Death Knights feel was not just when they were under the Lich King, but still present even in the freed ones. You either try to resist this great pain, or give in and accidentally unleash it on your allies or direct it towards your foes.

Q: Is Elune a naaru?

A: During a recent visit to Darnassus by Velen, he explained that the kaldorei's description of Elune, as well as the demonstrated powers of the goddess, matched his experiences with powerful naaru. He began to offer advice regarding how to commune with powerful naaru, but Tyrande thanked him for his opinion, then cordially requested that he refrain from making such outlandish claims when in Darnassus or in the presence of Elune's priesthood.

Very Happy
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Interesting lore answers from Round 2 of Ask CDev... Empty Re: Interesting lore answers from Round 2 of Ask CDev...

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Oh, Velen is such a poor troll Rolling Eyes

Elune is totally a Naaru though

Back to top Go down

Interesting lore answers from Round 2 of Ask CDev... Empty Re: Interesting lore answers from Round 2 of Ask CDev...

Post by Geneviève Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:52 pm

That really screws over how I play my Forsaken. But I really don't care. Razz And yeah, overall some very interesting answers, even if the first was dissapointing.

Also hints at the need for me to add another aspect to my pacifist Death Knight. But that's just an extra interesting layer. Very Happy

Last edited by Geneviève on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:55 pm

No way is Elune a Naaru, Velen should just GTFO!!

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 pm

There's an old article here from May 1st 2010 on the whole Elune thing in darnassus being a naaru....

http://www.wow.joystiq.com/2010/05/01/know-your-lore-tfh-edition-elune-is-a-naaru/
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 pm

That's not canon, though. That's fan speculation. What I linked is straight from the devs.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Man, Velen is a total dick.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 pm

Drustai wrote:That's not canon, though. That's fan speculation. What I linked is straight from the devs.

I know. I should have probably stated this. I didn't actually even think of the speculation until someone told me earlier ingame. The speculation that people have had actually thought elune was a naaru.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:38 pm

A big thanks for linking this Very Happy
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:45 pm

If they make Sylvanas into a raid. >.> Well, I dunno. It COULD be pretty neat if we got a decent racial leader for the forsaken, unless the greenskins just go " DERP we own you. ".
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 pm

I say give the forsaken stratholme as there home, and give lordaeron to the lordaeron fanboys. Not cos i like lordaeron, just to stop the threads!

Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't think they would ever truely give Lordaeron back to the lordies, Argent crusaders, of course. And forsaken, naturally. But Lordaeron is a -fallen- kingdom, Ran by a new society, a new culture. It would be like Quel'thalas being reclaimed by high elves, impossible due to the lack of numbers, or the Blood elves getting dominion over Northern Kalimdor, It isn't there home anymore.

" Q: Does the Wildhammer area that was called Northeron appear in WoW?

A: Prior to the Cataclysm, the northernmost part of the Twilight Highlands was called Northeron. The rapid melting of its famed icy cliffs due to the catastrophic climate shift from the Cataclysm, the incursion of Twilight's Hammer forces, and the appearance of the creature known as Iso'rath all served to put an end to Northeron and many of the independent dwarves who lived there. Some of the wreckage is still visible along the northern coast. Fortunately, the nearby spiritual center of Kirthaven remains intact. "
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Yeah it isnt happening. I want strommy to get some love and it is time for the forsakens charge in the north to stop. Also I would like to see the scourge zones (EPL WPL GL) start to recover
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Teebo Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Argh, the thread appears to be down for maintenance.

Wasn't the Hinterlands zone originally called Northeron up until the vanilla alpha or beta?

Any Gnomish developments of interest?
Teebo
Teebo

Character sheet
Name: Teebo Gyroblast
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Teebo wrote:Argh, the thread appears to be down for maintenance.

Wasn't the Hinterlands zone originally called Northeron up until the vanilla alpha or beta?

Any Gnomish developments of interest?

Q: Why are gnomes suddenly interested in the Light?

A: The gnomes have had an interest in the Light since they joined the Alliance, but they were so focused on technology and, later, the retaking of Gnomeregan that studying the Light didn't feel necessary to them; the dwarven priests and paladins of Ironforge served as the only connection to the Light they needed. Now that the gnomes have reclaimed a foothold in Gnomeregan and begun rebuilding their culture outside of Ironforge, however, they've recognized the importance of having followers of the Light in their own ranks. In addition, researching new methods of purifying irradiated gnomes has led to radical advances in Light-based technology!
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Teebo Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:23 pm

Ooh, thanks.
Teebo
Teebo

Character sheet
Name: Teebo Gyroblast
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:15 am

Jeanpierre wrote:A big thanks for linking this Very Happy

What an answer for our debate eh? xD

Also love the idea of Tyrande going, "Hmm.. Interesting point. However we've built ten milenia of culture on ELune including this shiny temple so kindly shut it squid face. Elune is not a flying Winter Veil's Light!"
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 am

I still stand with what I said, Elune is not a Naaru and if she is, she shouldn't be one.

Also, because speculation is fun and I don't like that article, I have some speculations of my own.

Dru and I discussed this and we both agreed that the Naaru are pretty in your face, whereas Elune is the complete opposite, she doesn't fully show herself, and had her own raven-goddess-mailwoman to carry her messages.. Now she could have reasons to be secretive like this and still be a Naaru, but it makes it less likely to me.

Also there's Cenarius who's discribed as Elune's and Malorne's son.. This seems very unNaaru to me.. We don't have any accounts of Naaru making more Naaru let alone Naaru making demi-gods with other god-like beings.. Again we don't know everything about the Naaru, and Elune could be a wayward Naaru of kinds, it just makes it seem less likely to me..

Either way, I don't want Elune to be a Naaru, I like her as the mysterious being she is. I guess I don't really want to know what she is exactly..

(but if Blizz wants to specify.. please don't let it be Naaru, or anything related to Titan for that matter)

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:34 am

I don't know if Elune is a naaru or not, but I certainly find it intriguing that several disambuiguous matters have been answered straight to the point (undead and holy light, sylvie's approach to LK, gnomes' interest in the light, DK's and their -need- to inflict pain, worgen/forsaken, forsaken's senses etc), whereas the question about Elune was replied through the eyes of a (prejudiced on the matter) lore character.

I mean, yeah, we already sorta knew (or guessed) what Tyrande's reply on the topic would be... So... (possibly) we still don't have a dev's reply on it.
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:42 am

I'm tempted to ask why Varian was given a Sin'dorei hairstyle. Maybe Genevieve the hairdresser will be brought out to clarify the matter?
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:54 am

Geneviève wrote:I'm tempted to ask why Varian was given a Sin'dorei hairstyle. Maybe Genevieve the hairdresser will be brought out to clarify the matter?

CAUSE HE TINKS HE LOOKS BADASS BECUZ HE IZ MITY GLADIATORZ NAO

LOOKZ UPON TEH BALLCHINZ IF YOU DAREZ
Spoiler:

A real answer? Because tied back like that he fits with their new 'anime' way of designing key npcs. Look how pretty they made Aggra..
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:02 am

Very interesting methinks. A pity they invalidated the rpg material though (and for a rather flimsy reason I think, as if pnp rpg plots wouldn't work in the game). I mean I get that they didn't want the various plot-hooks and explanations spoil (or act as red herrrings for) the plot. But now explanations of things like arcane addiction, population figures and such are also invalidated... pity.

Interesting bits about forsaken and the Light. Especially about priests literally hurting themselves by using it, but not destroying themselves (which hints there's something different between forsaken and the like and regular undead. Do I smell old god plot here?)

Also... Ebon Blade addicted to causing pain? Why do we trust these guys into our cities again?

Tyrande's reaction to Velen's suggestion was brilliant. I love the ambiguity (Blizzard is clearly not intending to give us a straight answer yet, hopefully never) and she clearly was insulted by the notion.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am

Gahalla wrote:Also... Ebon Blade addicted to causing pain? Why do we trust these guys into our cities again?

I can imagine self help groups for DK's being organised where they inflict pain to each other.
"Hi.. I'm Albert."
- (group) "Hi Albert"
"I'm here because I'm addicted to inflict pain. I tried to stop it, I even wore a patch but I kept falling back to my old habits."
- (group) "Thank you for being open and sharing yourself with us Albert." *applaud*
- (organiser) "Now.. On to the group lashings."
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 am

Shame that my question didn't get answered Sad
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 am

Brb rolling DK dominatrix. Both incredibly rich and emotionally balanced!

But seriously quite a few interesting tidbits Very Happy
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next