Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dungeon Master Project.

+24
Garmegin
Sir Lancelot
Rasonal Dranger
Lexius
Antistia
Kristeas Sunbinder
Shriyaro
Saevir
Zhakiri
Kozgugore Feraleye
Gnar
Mandui
Muzjhath
Arinith
Nayan
Rentarn
Ataris
(Goggy) - Exilius
Gogol
Kil'drakor
Winterbloom
Dharum
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Shrogan
28 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

After reading the topic and the explanations given throughout it, do you agree that this group should be given a test drive?

The Dungeon Master Project. Vote_lcap64%The Dungeon Master Project. Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 25 ]
The Dungeon Master Project. Vote_lcap26%The Dungeon Master Project. Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 10 ]
The Dungeon Master Project. Vote_lcap10%The Dungeon Master Project. Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 39

Poll closed

The Dungeon Master Project. Empty The Dungeon Master Project.

Post by Shrogan Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. As I have discussed with some of you, as well as several guild leaders of both alliance and horde, I have been planning on something fairly huge. I've gathered quite a bit of support from several people and I feel that with the launch of the Roleplaying forums, this time has come to finally announce and expose my project to discussion and possibly being put to use.

Introduction or rather... why this?

Well, it is simple. I have played both Alliance and Horde in this server, and I have felt a general lack of progress for the lack of a better word. I am sure others have felt the same. Our world is ever so static and it takes a lot of time for each plot development patch to come by and this means a general lack of progression in our Roleplay which we happen to do pretty much every day.
Sometimes a blessed soul tries to stir a ripple, but we're not in the same wavelength. We're not developing the same thing and thus it becomes annoying. Then someone, sometimes tries to develop a roleplaying hub, and it becomes fairly crowded too fast. It's hard to keep a track of it all, and more often than not, when conflict arises, drama spurs, since precisely, we're not in the same wavelength.

Alright, and what does this project offer the community?

Well, the aim of this project is to offer us an unified community, free of drama and yet with all the conflict which we need to actually have fun in. This project above everything offers us a meta-plot which although linked with the WoW setting in general will be shifted and changed according to the player's actions, granting us and our characters a minimal sense of achievement and influence over the final outcome. Above everything, it aids the community in estabilishing an atmosphere for people to roleplay with, so we may overlook certain immersion breaking incoherences such as character A collecting flowers happily in the field and character B locked in a dungeon afraid that the enemy armies will get him. Of course I am exaggerating, but I believe the point is shown.

What exactly is a meta-plot?
The meta-plot is the storyline and place in which your character is settled in and trying to develop itself. For example, the meta-plot of Wrath of the Lich King is the effort of both Horde and Alliance, as well as Ebon Blade and Argent Dawn, to defeat the Lich King. However, seeing as how these meta-plots are so static, due to content release and of course, expansions, perhaps the estabilishment of a player-made meta-plot (Linked naturally to the WoW metaplot.) will help us out in fleshing out our Roleplay.

Aaaaaaand... how can this be achieved?
This, from what I've seen can be achieved from estabilishing a Dungeon Master and a team which will, after receiving proper feedback from the participating parties, will spin a plot which we can find interest in and everyone may participate.

Hmm... that sounds rather interesting, but forgive me if I'm sceptical Shro'gan, how is this gonna work?
Well, this is the tricky part but which I believe that works. Each community and/or guild involved in this project will elect one Representative which will organise an IC meeting (say, every two weeks or the likes) to discuss where or not they wish to take their group. Then, after this community/guild (I will now refer to them as "Group" for convinience) is settled ICly, the Representative will then type down OOCly, the IC and OOC goals of the guild and send it over to the Dungeon Master who will then, after discussing it with the Team, spin it into the plot as he sees fit. (By this I do not mean that your Group's desires will be overlooked, but rather queued. I will explain this in a moment.)
Optionally, you may chose to have these Representatives organise themselves in a faction wide Group (The Warcouncil) which will be used to discuss the problems which are common to the faction to which they belong to. Then these Representatives will elect their own Spokesperson which will write down the faction wide worries IC and OOC and send them to the Dungeon Master and his team. Then, they will spin a plot accordingly to what you've chosen and so desired.

Uhm... Right. Again but less confusion.
Let me try and simplify it. Several groups which are interested in participating elect a Representative to give the group's feedback to the Dungeon Master and his team (DM&T).
Then these Representatives may chose to get together, to discuss Faction Wide problems, and will elect one person to type down some OOC feedback for the DM&T. This same process should go for all factions so as to allow the DM&T to estabilish a realm wide plot in which all can participate in.

Alright, that kind of explains it. But what if the IC goals of two guilds clash? Like, say Cultists and Lighties? Or Trolls and Dwarves?
You remember when I said that the plot will be made with your requests as the DM&T see fit? That's where it comes in. The plot-hook will be updated regularly on a two weeks basis (This is not the final period of time. This may be changed in the final project.) and naturally, you can't please everyone with every post. In a conflict, sometimes someone will get the upper hand, while at another time, this same side might lose. Basically, what will be done is the following. If a certain plot update seems to favor a certain side of the conflict at hand, there will be other updates, which may or may not be based off a few player made events which can shift the plot accordingly.

May or may not... what do you mean?
While the DM&T does have the "power" to insert plot devices from time to time to shift a plot in a certain direction or present us with strange and off mind-blowing twists, at the end of the day, it always falls back to the player to intervene in the events which are coming to pass and make
it so they change in the way your character would want them to be taken. However, the DM&T will not insert plot devices at random to favor one side if it is losing. It falls back to the player again to get back on their feet and fight back the evil invading forces! Or evil forces! Or evil in general.

And what about individuals who will act up on their own? Who belong to no Group?
These can participate in this project just as easily! They will simply act as if they were a one-man Group and send me their ideas and what they're trying to achieve and the DM&T will try to accomodate them in the meta-plot the best they can!

Ok, so far so good. But won't this cause a certain place to become ridiculously packed as well?
Not at all. You see, this meta-plot can be spread all over the world. There can be a certain chain of events ocurring in Darkshire, Ashenvale and Arathi, for example, at the same time. While they are part of a greater metaplot, only certain groups will participate in each, according to their interest. It doesn't mean that roleplay will be concentrated in one place, but rather, it means that the Roleplay will be equally distributed amongst the realm, giving an opportunity for everyone to participate equally without needing to shift their character in a way that'll fit going to wherever Roleplay is.

And what will happen to the already existing plots?
Well, using the Darkshire plot as an example, I will simply need the people in charge of said plot PM the DM&T with IC and OOC plot details so it may be incorporated in the larger server-wide plot in the making. Neither I nor anyone will ask you to stop roleplaying or to cancel the plots which you have estabilished already, but rather to inform the DM&T on your progress and plans so they are not overlooked and rather put in the meta-plot.

And what of WPvP, for those interested?
This system will allow us not only to create some nice plots which will involve a lot of battles, even in some cases, make plots which will be centered around these battles. But these will also allow us the option of territorial conquest! (Within moderation of course. Capital cities and provinces can not be conquered for rather obvious reasons).

Wait a minute... I've heard of this before.

Indeed you have! Gnash beat me to it. I've been attempting to contact him to request his support on this very own project. Both these projects can support each other fairly easily and are perfectly complementary.

Nice! But how will these battles be fought?
Well, referring to the gear issue? That is left for the parties involved in the conflict to sort it out. There are battles which people prefer to fight in PvP gear and there are battles in which people would much, much rather fight it out in Roleplaying gear and the restricted use of abilities. It's not up to the DM&T to set up a rule for such specific events.

Can you give us an example of how this DM&T will work?
Surely, quotly roughly someone with whom I spoke about this with, on msn, here is the deal. Using the Arathi Highlands as an example, picture the following. Guilds A, B and C of the Horde gather into a warcouncil and decide that they should concentrate their forces there. They plan out everything ICly as they see fit and send their ideas OOCly to the DM&T who will then take note of that region. The DM&T will then notify everyone through the metaplot as the Horde continues their advances. Alliance forces will gather there, reinforcements will arrive for the Horde and they'll all be constantly winning and losing, changing the condition of the zone and individual settlements which will be then reflected by DM&T.
As for a less WPvP oriented example, a raving lunatic goes around yelling that the world is neigh. He has discovered a terrible artifact which has driven him insane and it will likely slowly make more and more changes to the world. This fellow contacts the DM&T who promptly put his idea into the meta-plot and thus everyone becomes aware of what's going on and can take part of the investigation, apocalypse or whatever.

Okay, but you also spoke of a Drama free community?
Indeed I have! And this is one of the biggest improvements regarding this little project of ours. I suggest a course of action that should diminish the drama and OOC animosity suffered within this realm. First and foremost, regarding the "Big Events" such as large scale conflicts and the likes, should two parties clash, and be unable to come to an agreement, one of the parties involved should most deffinatly file up a complaint and send it over to the DM&T to then gather up the Representatives of the parties involved and try to come to an agreement together. (Of course that if this can be solved without the interference of the DM&T, all the better. However, sometimes such is unable to happen, and here the DM&T will operate to suggest alternative ways of solving said issue.).
Regarding the more personal cases in which two members of this community clash, please, do not hound one another over whispers or the likes. Instead, contact your representative and present to them your complaint and have the Representatives then either contact the Representative of the other Group, and maybe after, the person in question.

REGARDING THE FILLING OF COMPLAINTS: They should be done as it follows.
In a message, sent to one or more members of the DM&T you must post up who has bothered you, why, your own version of the events which transpired, plus if possible some sort of screenshot or proof of the events which you speak off.
Remember. A complaint is not a 2 hour rant over whispers on the person involved, but rather a short summary of the events, and why have they bothered you, who is involved and asking if there is anything which the officer team may do regarding that.

That actually doesn't sound too bad. But having this DM&T act as OOC moderators as well as having them control the whole plot twists and the likes... isn't that giving too much power to a reduced amount of people?
Yes and no. While I am aware that having say 10-15 people control the environment of an entire server is a ludicrous thought, one must keep in mind that the DM&T only has as much power as you give them. By agreeing to participate in this project you are -trusting- the DM&T to estabilish a good enough metaplot to flesh out the server with. They are not here to restrict your Roleplay and have it set in stone and scripted, but rather, they're here to make sure it works with the rest of the community. They're here to allow you the chance to affect a much larger plot with a wider number of roleplayers.
The purpose of the DM&T is to enhace the Roleplaying experience in this server and make it all the better for the lot of us. They're here to first and foremost ensure that everyone has fun and that everyone has their chance in developing their character in an interesting and complex environment, complete with all sorts of immersive elements which the game can provide.
If you have a problem with the DM&T as it is, or their actions, you should send your concerns to them, for they will be the first ones to care. and in turn, try and improve their service to the community.

Okay! So, can there be a quick recap of what this project can bring us?
Alrighty then. Making a more schematic and detailed approach to what's coming down.
- Estabilishing a Meta-plot which will be affected by the actions of players and guilds as well as estabilishing a coherent atmosphered for our characters to develop themselves in.
- A system of land division which will enable the parties envolved in this project to actually make a change in the Roleplay of the realm, by conquering enemy territory.
- Server wide chains of organized events in which everyone may participate without the crowding or overflow of people in one set location.
- A significant decrease in the Drama often trailing behind Roleplay.
- Promotion of the server as one of the best Roleplaying servers there are.

And who will be this DM&T?

I have not yet had the chance to contact all the people which will be involved in this project. However, I have a few people in mind and should this project come to pass, I will announce the team very soon.

And where can I reach this DM&T?
The DM&T once estabilished will be here, on these very same forums and should have their own section to discuss things. They can be reached for ingame (With a short whisper saying "Hey, you've got mail on the forums" as the people involved in this project are wanting their fun ingame as well), or through a PM on the forums.

DISCLAIMER: By approving of this project you are also depositing your trust in the DM&T and their competence to estabilish a meta-plot for the server, as well as add in a few plot devices from time. You will trust them in aiding you in the solving of conflicts as well as aiding in organising and the OOC management of the realm.
The DM&T will have all of your interests taken into account, regardless of past history between guilds, individuals and communities, as we are all working for the same thing. We are all wishing to have fun, and make this realm a better place to play in.

Feel free to post your thoughts and ideas. We're open for discussion.

Last edited by Nayan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added poll as per request of the OP)

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

The Dungeon Master Project. Empty Re: The Dungeon Master Project.

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Sounds like a plan! pirat
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 pm

I worry that this project of yours will, indeed, give a small amount of people too much of a say in what occurs.

Also, having been an officer in a guild where there were many, many complaints before, I fear the DM&T will have their time sucked away from them and this will become more like work than something enjoyable, and interest in addressing these issues will fade quickly.

Although a drama-free environment will be a breath of fresh air, I think that will be the most trying accomplishment in your project. Some people have better ideas than others and, of course, those ideas will be taken over others'. It might, in the long run, be seen as a form of favoritism.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I think this will be a very difficult thing to accomplish. You do have my best wishes and if it does work out, more power to it, but even though the Stormwind Council has the best intentions, many people see them in a bad light, I'm afraid.

On a personal note, I think you have enough on your plate, Shro. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 pm

The DM&T will be constituded of people from several communities with different thoughts. And these will be from both Horde and Alliance alike. In order for things to work as well, there will need to be a commitment of sorts from the folks who chose to accept participating in the DM&T, naturally.

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharum Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Sounds like a nice idea but...

You can't avoid drama, getting people to co-operate on this one would take massive amount of time and effort, and still I fear the drama would strike sooner or later.

There will always be those who get angry the very moment someone or a group is "chosen" for something, be it for good or bad. They will not listen to reason and instead go on a rampage of "YOU CAN'T DECIDE HOW I ARRPEE"

If there is something that all my years on DB RPing a more or less evil person is that you can't avoid metagaming, it always happens on both sides and causes huge amount of drama, I fear this might promote it even more or so.

Personally, I won't mind a metaplot,
Yet I remain veeery very sceptical, nevertheless goodluck.
Dharum
Dharum

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Winterbloom Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 pm

-A closed group of guilds and communities will make up a DM&T-group
-Each guild (or community?) gets an IC representative who reports to the group
-metaplot for those involved
-a sort of ticket-complaint system
-excellent w-pvp opportunities

Is that about right?
Winterbloom
Winterbloom

Character sheet
Name: Divina Graethlin
Title: Snob

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Maybe so, but as someone who considers herself part of the "Individuals" group, I think it will be very difficult for them to get their "fair share" of being included. There are probably plenty of people who consider themselves part of this group.

So you (because you said "send me their ideas") will have to take care of the individuals as well as the rest of the Team and whatever input they might bring. That's quite a bit of responsibility.

Not to mention those individuals who are considered outcasts, OOCtards (despite their claims of being RPers) and let's admit, people just plain don't like certain players...

A thousand scenarios are springing up in my mind. I really hope this works, but as I said, I think you have enough on your plate and those elected will have a huge responsibility that will become a burden.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:31 pm

Aye, pretty much. But rather, not guilds who will make the DM&T group, but individuals involved in several guilds. This will allow for greater OOC neutrality and impartial management of the plot.
Appart from that, you got it pretty much right.

Aye, lots and lots of scenarios spring to mind Felinaa. But we'll never know until we've tried it out.

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Winterbloom Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Alright. Then I've got a quick question.

How about new guilds and newcomers? How could they fit in?
Winterbloom
Winterbloom

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Shrogan wrote:...but individuals involved in several guilds. This will allow for greater OOC neutrality and impartial management of the plot.

No, I really don't think this true neutrality can exist, I'm sorry to say. You, yourself, have been part of several guilds but we all know what your true priority is. Even people with alts have a preferred guild they'll openly support and be more active in.

As someone stated before me, you can't avoid drama, and favoritism is almost an instinct among humans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 pm

That depends on how well the community wishes to receive them. Newcomers and new guilds will have access to what's coming down through the forums, and should they have an idea that seemingly has not been included in the plot, or if they want to start something themselves, they are free to PM the DM&T and they'll be happy to accomodate them. Smile

Everyone should have a chance at participating, regardless of where they come from.

@ Felinaa: Again, we'll never know 'till we try.

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 pm

If you think for awhile...

Let us take America for example - (Large group)

It is the richest country in the world(I dunno) and has some of the richest people in the world(Expert Rp´ers and such).
But still there is alot of crime and poverty(OOCtards and rpdestroyers)

Take for example the Faroe islands (Small group).

It is not exactly a rich country, and it doesn´t have many rich people(Very good rp´ers).
But it doesn´t have alot of crime and poverty (OOCtards and rpdestroyers)
_________

So the general idea would to find some sort of midway between these two, rather than trying to get a large playerbase in at the beginning, which will cause the DM&T to have more of a job than a hobby
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Hey Shro.

I am out of game-time. I guess that's why you weren't able to get in touch. ;-) I probably won't be for another month or so. The PC I am using at this moment really isn't fit for gaming.

Aanyway, I really like the idea. About cooperating: at first I wanted to develop it in flash, but Marrenus pointed out to me that it would be far easier to simply build a website for this. Websites are updated far easier than flashfiles. The problem is that I have no experience with building websites (bad experience is a better choice of words, maybe). A website could incorporate your project, too. Doesn't hurt to intertwine them. Maybe some guildprofiles, character profiles a là http://www.argentarchives.org , who knows? So if anyone here has some experience building websites, please, we could REALLY use your help.

About the criticism on the gamemaster-style of coordinating: if you don't like it, don't join in. Simple. I for one think it's a positive thing. A person coordinating role-play creates the sense of a 'greater plot'. A puppeteer pulling the strings, if you will.

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm

Something like this then?
The Dungeon Master Project. 5247-004-F2F95600
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Shrogan wrote:@ Felinaa: Again, we'll never know 'till we try.

You're biting off more than you can chew. Again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 pm

Gogol wrote:Something like this then?
The Dungeon Master Project. 5247-004-F2F95600

Yeah, without the A bomb. xD

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Winterbloom Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Then what about guilds who don't wish to join the metaplot? They'd be doomed to cathedral square-roleplay?

<- The devils advocate.
Winterbloom
Winterbloom

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 pm

No? Those guilds can still interact and act on their own and interact with the guilds involved in the project as well. However, it'll make a lot harder for the DM&T to keep track of a meta-plot that way, since the Roleplay which they do, will also affect the Roleplay of the guilds involved and thus the Meta-plot would need to be stirred accordingly.

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Gnash wrote:About the criticism on the gamemaster-style of coordinating: if you don't like it, don't join in. Simple. I for one think it's a positive thing. A person coordinating role-play creates the sense of a 'greater plot'. A puppeteer pulling the strings, if you will.

Ah, but sadly, even if people don't join in, they'll possibly HAVE to get dragged into it to dispute so-and-so's claim over this-or-that's territory, etc.

And then accusations of metagaming, powergaming, etc...

I do think it's a good idea, but I fear the community is too vast and varied for this to work well, in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post by Winterbloom Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Ah, so, while the meta-plot is for the "closed" group, everything and everyone on the server can affect it?
Winterbloom
Winterbloom

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Felinaa/Dijie/Finnabhair wrote: As someone stated before me, you can't avoid drama, and favoritism is almost an instinct among humans.

That you are implying that role-play is a form of competition really is beyond me. Why would he suggest this if it would be his main purpose to sponsor the Empire? I think this 'favoritism' is a short-sighted view on Shrogan's attempt to unify the role-playing community.

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrogan Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Yes, pretty much that, Winterbloom. Pretty much I mean, everything affects the people involved no? So it in turns affects the meta-plot. But again, that is up for the folks involved to decide how this affects their roleplay.

Thanks for the support Gnash. Smile

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Winterbloom Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 pm

I love this idea.

As Gnash wrote further up, I don't see why anyone would favor their guilds/characters. Personally I love torturing my own character. Haha.
Winterbloom
Winterbloom

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Felinaa/Dijie/Finnabhair wrote:

Ah, but sadly, even if people don't join in, they'll possibly HAVE to get dragged into it to dispute so-and-so's claim over this-or-that's territory, etc.

And then accusations of metagaming, powergaming, etc...

I do think it's a good idea, but I fear the community is too vast and varied for this to work well, in the long run.

The point you make is essentially not a problem of the people that are part of the meta-plot. It's the problem of the people that do not accept it. Basically, it's like being invited to your neighbor's party -- declining -- but still complaining that the music is too loud.

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Gnash wrote:I think this 'favoritism' is a short-sighted view on Shrogan's attempt to unify the role-playing community.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next