Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middle-East & North African Discussion

+51
Sanara
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lyniath
Eowale
Gustov
Iralan
itsy
Dréfurion
John Helsythe Amaltheria
The Misty Beast
Nayan
Feydor
Sinnadrin
Tollir
Vragnor
Sevelle
Amaryl
Máire
Lini
Cyaska
Teebo
Darilas
Ixirar
Mandui
Gunnell
Krogon Devilstep
Seranita
Gogol
Geneviève
Gahalla
Saevir
Ephitos
Jayse
Guldujenu
Grufftoof
Nathiniós
Zinkle Figgins
Jeanpierre
Muzjhath
Jomir
Ralegh
Geldar
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Chase - Esou
Shaelyssa
Melnerag
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kil'drakor
Nithel
Antistia
Rasonal Dranger
55 posters

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Middle-East & North African Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: Middle-East & North African Discussion

Post by Lyniath Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:43 am

Sanara wrote:
Lyniath wrote:Grand wizard?
I suddenly love Iran. They have a wizarding order!

My turkic friend made a project in high school which was basically all about how Iran is a Magocratic Dictatorship straight out of a fantasy novel, except without real wizards.

I want to read that, sounds hilarious.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Middle-East & North African Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: Middle-East & North African Discussion

Post by Antistia Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Crojwin wrote:Hiding, meh. The day holland gets into shit is the day I sign up for the army! But until then...sweet chair, sweet pc, sweet college, etc.

Cheers for the posts people. And is it me or is the...well atleast dutch...news kind of empty when it comes to news about these matters..? Hmm

That's true. Dutch news isn't really good if you ask me. NRC is perhaps the best source of news in Dutch. Though they're not without their own problems, for instance their alleged bias against Israel. But all in all, Dutch news is of pretty poor quality. That's why I get my news from Reuters, AP, Time, CNN and occasionally the BBC and Bloomberg. Nu.nl is quite nice if you want to get a quick heads up about what is actually happening but it's just a way to stay up to date with what's happening in rough outlines, for good coverage which gets you really informed you'll need different sources Razz

Lyniath wrote:Well in a year, I'll be Dutch xD

Our naturalization process goes that fast? I find it hard to believe Razz

Geneviève wrote:No country is adequatly prepared for a war with NATO.

The USA, UK, and France alone make up for more than 50% of the entire worlds military budget.

NATO's technological superiority is unsurpassed. Our anti nuke technology has been perfected to the point that Russia and China threatened to sell their nukes to un-named third parties if it was ever deployed.

Our ground to air missiles render air to ground strikes or counter air efforts against our forces suicidal and our troops are the best trained, equipped, supported, and most experianced in the world.

Our Naval forces render any other nations attempts at projection of power ineffective and enable us to strike anywhere in the world.

Iran's only card is the unpredictably insane nature of it's grand wizard.

I thought the ABM shield was far from perfect at the moment and not in any way capable of countering the sheer number of nukes Russia could lob at us. On a side note I thought the American National Missile Defense is just meant to protect against less sophisticated enemies with a small amount of nukes, so I can hardly imagine us being able to make a dent in the Russian arsenal with our ABM technology as I understand it.. Maybe in the Chinese one which is said to be quite small but still numbers in the hundreds afaik. But please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, speaking of Iran, read the following:
http://news.yahoo.com/israel-iran-pass-nuclear-threshold-within-182436431.html
http://news.yahoo.com/irans-revolutionary-guards-dare-israel-attack-084501557.html

Last edited by Antistia on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Antistia wrote:
Only if you are West-European?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:
Antistia wrote:
Only if you are West-European?

Still find it hard to believe, especially as our politicians want to get to an 'immigration-stop' in the coming year(s). And in general I don't think we give that preferential treatment to West-Europeans, but please, correct me if I'm wrong Wink
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Antistia wrote:

I thought the ABM shield was far from perfect at the moment and not in any way capable of countering the sheer number of nukes Russia could lob at us. On a side note I thought the American National Missile Defense is just meant to protect against less sophisticated enemies with a small amount of nukes, so I can hardly imagine us being able to make a dent in the Russian arsenal with our ABM technology as I understand it.. Maybe in the Chinese one which is said to be quite small but still numbers in the hundreds afaik. But please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, speaking of Iran, read the following:
http://news.yahoo.com/israel-iran-pass-nuclear-threshold-within-182436431.html
http://news.yahoo.com/irans-revolutionary-guards-dare-israel-attack-084501557.html

It is far from perfect and no longer being implemented. However, it was accurate enough to render standard nuclear strategy inneffective. That is, if you can't guarantee you will wipe out the oppositions nuclear capabilities, or stop them from deploying secondary waves of missiles if they fired first, then attack or retaliation is futile.

Principally it was such a large step in the right direction, or wrong direction if international stability without hegemony is the aim, that it spooked everyone. We're in a defensive technology arms race and I have every confidence it's another arms race the US is destined to win.
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Ah, I see. Don't really know if we're in a defensive technology arms race, haven't seen China developing ABM capabilities. What I do know is that the United States is making new weapons that are awesome though.

Suicide drones, Lasers and the last thing I heard about; a hypersonic weapon.

I mean just read about it:

Spoiler:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j6h9_9exa1ZfRDE-vGC-qA9QHxZQ?docId=fd0c849eee35439fb451a57357212600

That thing is made for completely awesome strikes. I think it'd be a great weapon for decapitation strikes but I'm just an armchair general. Razz
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Iran dares Israel to attack, because the retaliation would send the Jewish state to "the dustbin of history," a senior Revolutionary Guards commander said, according to the Fars news agency Monday.

Oh shit.

Iran is going to fucking die.

It is obvious that they are bluffing and blustering as Middle Eastern nations are want to do (Remember Saddam?) but as I've said before, Israel can't afford to take that chance.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Israel relies on more than just the official news coming out of Iran to make informed decisions.
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Saevir wrote:Israel relies on more than just the official news coming out of Iran to make informed decisions.

Indeed, we throw sacks of gold into the sea too- if they float, we suggest we will strike if nothing else helps. If they don't float, we suggest we will strike if nothing else helps. Oh, that and spies.
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:09 pm

I thought the Israeli policy was "If the sacks float, we launch a surgical airstrike. If they don't float... we launch a surgical airstrike, but with helicopters."
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Sanara wrote:I thought the Israeli policy was "If the sacks float, we launch a surgical airstrike. If they don't float... we launch a surgical airstrike, but with helicopters."

I'm now thinking about the House episode with that one guy who "cheated" on his vegetarian girlfriend with a hamburger.
It was something about his shit floating.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Another one bites the Dust. The Yemeni president has agreed to step down.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Yemen's authoritarian President Ali Abdullah Saleh agreed Wednesday to step down amid a fierce uprising to oust him after 33 years in power. The U.S. and its powerful Gulf allies pressed for the deal, concerned that a security collapse in the impoverished Arab nation was allowing an active al-Qaida franchise to gain a firmer foothold.

http://news.yahoo.com/yemen-president-33-years-quit-amid-uprising-180458996.html
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Antistia wrote:Another one bites the Dust. The Yemeni president has agreed to step down.

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Yemen's authoritarian President Ali Abdullah Saleh agreed Wednesday to step down amid a fierce uprising to oust him after 33 years in power. The U.S. and its powerful Gulf allies pressed for the deal, concerned that a security collapse in the impoverished Arab nation was allowing an active al-Qaida franchise to gain a firmer foothold.

http://news.yahoo.com/yemen-president-33-years-quit-amid-uprising-180458996.html

depends on how his replacement will turn out
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Problems in Egypt Sad
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Saevir wrote:
Antistia wrote:Another one bites the Dust. The Yemeni president has agreed to step down.

Not really, he has bit the dust. If his replacement is another autocratic bastard then he will bite the dust too, eventually.

Shaelyssa wrote:Problems in Egypt Sad

Yes, the Supreme Council is in for a nice ride, they're already trying to appease the protesters.

In other, more warmongering news:

Aerospace giant Boeing Co. has delivered the first batch of 30,000-pound bombs, each nearly five tons heavier than anything else in the military's arsenal, to the U.S. Air Force to pulverize underground enemy hide-outs.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bunker-buster-bomb-20111117,0,3582708.story

Spoiler:
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:12 pm

Antistia wrote:
Saevir wrote:

Not really, he has bit the dust. If his replacement is another autocratic bastard then he will bite the dust too, eventually.

Not really, deppends on many things.
Also- You are a dirty sandlady.. I will never forgive you...
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Middle-East & North African Discussion - Page 21 Whiteright-base_1_2

PROSKEELS.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Technically you're not white !!!!!!!!
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:27 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-threatens-hit-turkey-us-israel-attack-153655802.html

Yes, because you totally want to give NATO a reason to invoke Article 5 and bomb the living hell out of you.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:04 pm

"The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security."

In case people wondered. Unless you mean another Article 5 (like the right to amend the US constitution... Smile)

Edit: That means "attack me, you attack my friends too" more or less.

Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:58 am

I believe the definition of Europe for the purpose of this article also considers the whole of Turkey a part of Europe. That ought to be said.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:37 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/militants-create-haven-in-southern-yemen/2011/12/29/gIQA9Fb1SP_story.html?hpid=z2

It seems that AQAP has been able to exploit the unrest in Yemen to expand its power. Thoughts?
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by itsy Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:54 pm

My thoughts are that Yemen is only one letter away from semen Exclamation
itsy
itsy

Character sheet
Name: @_@
Title: @_@

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:18 pm

Antistia wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/militants-create-haven-in-southern-yemen/2011/12/29/gIQA9Fb1SP_story.html?hpid=z2

It seems that AQAP has been able to exploit the unrest in Yemen to expand its power. Thoughts?

O Wirklich?
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Itsy wrote:My thoughts are that Yemen is only one letter away from semen Exclamation

This, my good sir, deserves a plus one. So please, there you go, +1.

And wirklich, Herr Rasonal.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next