Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP.

+17
Chase - Esou
Quin
Wubeh
Halya
Jayse
Krogon Devilstep
Azarth/Tyzai
Mandui
Cathee Norris
Magaskawee/Anaei
Ataris
Elízabéth Moren
Shaelyssa
Geldar
(Goggy) - Exilius
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Jeanpierre
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP.

Post by Guest Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Personally I find 'nub'-RP to be a healthy sign. It means there's new blood on the server. If you constantly dismiss these newcomers who may or may not be very experienced in roleplay - you're bound to get a locked and stagnated community. I don't know about you, but I don't find it that enjoyable to know that every new character I encounter is played by someone I know or know of, even if their RP has brilliant quality.

As has been said before, we all start of somewhere. Try standing about in Darkshire for a few months and roleplay with -anyone- who makes contact with you. You'll see that as time pass and they come back, they improve. Its been that way for the lot of us.

My point is that you can't rely on those extremely few RP-experienced individuals who decide to leave Argent Dawn / Earthen Ring, to refresh the community. You need fresh blood. Many of you here have been here as long as I have, and if you don't remember your own days of mediocre roleplay, then at least look how the ones who came along later in the realms history have improved over the years.

Sure, there's plenty of overpowered sods, shit stories and backgrounds.. But hey, just roleplay along best you can. I don't think the problem lies with these nubhats, rather, you simply have to find new ways to deal with the things that they do. Try gathering up a few people and inviting the troublemaker to a partychat and tell him, in a decent tone, that his roleplay simply is a bit out of hand. Say that you'll give advice. Better to extend a hand than use it for slapping, if you know what I mean.

The core message I'm trying to give is; Don't tolerate everything, but don't be intolerant. An intolerant RP community, in practic, only becomes what I'd like to call stuckup and elitistic.

The problem doesn't lie with new roleplayers that take themselves too seriously. The problem is established and experienced roleplayers that take themselves too seriously.

Last edited by Andrek on Tue May 11, 2010 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added some text left out by accident.)

Back to top Go down

[Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP.

Post by Mandui Tue May 11, 2010 8:15 pm

<Andrek's reply here>

Fully agree. You said everything I was going to say, bud.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Azarth/Tyzai Tue May 11, 2010 8:22 pm

I am living proof of Andreks point! Very Happy Or atleast I like to think so. And I know a few others who've improoved greatly over the time I've known them on DB.
Azarth/Tyzai
Azarth/Tyzai

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 11, 2010 8:24 pm

Azarth/Tyzai wrote:I am living proof of Andreks point! Very Happy Or atleast I like to think so. And I know a few others who've improoved greatly over the time I've known them on DB.

Nothing unique, Tyzai. It's the natural way of things. As unpopular as this truth seems to be at times.

But yes, you did improve. Especially since I decapitated your horse and dragged you back to jail everytime you did it wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Azarth/Tyzai Tue May 11, 2010 8:27 pm

That horse was my friend and former lover you jackass! I loved every inch of him! Sad
Azarth/Tyzai
Azarth/Tyzai

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Not sure if this was an OOCer or not, but I went along with it for kicks...

[Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP. - Page 2 Bunnyr10

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue May 11, 2010 8:38 pm

personaly i think fortesgue's initiative of catching 'new' RP'ers in the starting zones and towns, was a great idea. visiting goldshire and the like, the same could be done for razor hill, falcon wing square, kharnos, Brill and beyond...

and agree with andrek, tbh
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Tue May 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Andrek wrote:Especially since I decapitated your horse and dragged you back to jail everytime you did it wrong.
xD! The Master at work right there <3
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Speaking of this subject, I just have to share this scene with you;

Meeting in Beggar's Haunt. Ataris is holding a speech.

Ataris says: And now, the world shall tremble at our might.
*random nubhat runs in*
Dsx says: hey guys wats going on!??
*everyone faces nub*
Ataris says: Who are you?
*long silence*
Dsx says: i am DSX, defender of nature!!
*long silence*
Ataris says: .. I see..
Dsx says: bye guys
*nubhat runs off*
*Awkward silence grips the meeting*

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Aye my Rp was very rusty back when I started here. I hadn't Rp'd in WoW before at all. I came from the MUD days where it was all textbased. I just watched, learned and got involved.

I get alot of random people coming upto Jayse and I just RP with them as best I can and offer advice from what I learned and use now.

If they take it onboard all good, if they dont and decide to just spam hellfire or Rp a vampire/deathknight suddenly shouting LOLNUBIKEEEELU.. then I know quickly to move on.

Cheers!
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Andrek wrote:Speaking of this subject, I just have to share this scene with you;

*random nubhat runs in*
*everyone faces nub*
*long silence*
*long silence*
*nubhat runs off*
Hehe, I always remembered his callsign in CAPS for some reason.

Good times.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Andrek wrote:Speaking of this subject, I just have to share this scene with you;

*random nubhat runs in*
*everyone faces nub*
*long silence*
*long silence*
*nubhat runs off*

Lol.

I can imagine Ataris´ expression being

[Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP. - Page 2 Explan10
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Tue May 11, 2010 10:36 pm

I remember walking into the Blade, wearing my levelling gear. Quin laughing at me, and me roleplaying with little more lore knowledge than that I was from another planet. Good times, good times...
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wubeh Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 am

RP, serious?

No way, you are all just a bunch of Unicorn-piss Junkies.
Wubeh
Wubeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Quin Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm

No thank you, people take RP way too serious as it is already.
ps. Jeanpierre best name ever!
Quin
Quin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Wed May 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I've pretty much given up the IC path I planned for Chase, to have him start off as a nobody and slowly build his way up to a powerful criminal status in Stormwind. Reason for this is that I probably couldn't bear the RP I'd have to suffer to do this. I don't want to be a bad guy when the bad guys get into a fight every day with the usual people and no one ever dying. There are so many good character concepts that just go down the drain when mortality isn't a factor.
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Partridge Wed May 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Jeanpierre/Jeanclaude wrote:"You are charged guilty of all 23 murders and 66 attempted murders. You are condemned to 10 minutes of jail time which you must spend insulting and taunting your guards, without revealing any useful information to the inquisitors

I lol'd, so true xD.

I agree also that the standard of random RP has gone down in recent months, well criminal RP i mean, thats for sure. I admit, lately I often get very frustrated during encounters where people are turning into demons and melting metal off their own wrists without burning themselves or anything O.o Often I will just concede and let them do whatever just so it ends quicker and i can go, as even if I tried to combat it they would just power emote until they get what they want. Shame yes, but true none the less. In the end all this really means is that there isnt really any consequences for braking the law, which IMO would make RPing a criminal boring. Whats the fun if there is no risk of getting caught or punished?

On another note my gametime ran out a few days ago and im having problems with my card needs renewing. So Lilath if you read sorry i missed the theme night yesterday or today. And if anyone from the Blazing Shields reads it, dont think I have disappeared I will be back very soon soon as my card is sorted which could be tomorrow, so if someone would be kind enough to pass this message onto someone in the Shields for me that my gametime expired and i will be back soon, I would be very greatful. Thank you.
Partridge
Partridge

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Wed May 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Told Falrock, Patridge. Dontcha worry.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Partridge Wed May 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Geldar wrote:Told Falrock, Patridge. Dontcha worry.

Ahh thanks dude Smile
Partridge
Partridge

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Thu May 13, 2010 12:01 am

Enjoyed the humour in your very sensible comments, Jeanpierre. It's true that there are some poor RPers out there, and there are threads for discussing them, but if this one makes us all take step back and look at our own RP and try to keep it as fun and believable as we can-- then hey, good stuff.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2010 12:18 am

Wth is this for happy-flappy. Sad

I had to learn myself to roleplay in WoW D:
Although having atleast rp-experience from Wc3. (The great times.)
I admitt having a first character that was mary sue, to the worst contents. But somehow I avoided bragging it, and kept it clean. But that was afterall just a test character before I made my belves and started rp for real.

I have tried to help a share of beginner rpers, though. But if they're actual lolrpers, I don't care. But if they come and ask for advice, I help as best as I can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Thu May 13, 2010 12:21 am

Those comics are ace Very Happy
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gallandria Thu May 13, 2010 6:27 am

I actually had a bit of intresting Role play last night I bumped into a blind widow selling flowers..except she wasnt blind she is a scam artist icly and new to the server. She didnt really seem to need any ooc help although I did offer Razz
Gallandria
Gallandria

Character sheet
Name: Gallandria Adair
Title: The Bloody Rose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2010 9:42 am

Veia/Aylisha wrote:I actually had a bit of intresting Role play last night I bumped into a blind widow selling flowers..except she wasnt blind she is a scam artist icly and new to the server. She didnt really seem to need any ooc help although I did offer Razz

Yeah, bumped into her too. :[
My ten copper coins.. Sad

But she seemed to know what she was doing. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Thu May 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Bennedict wrote:

Lol.

I can imagine Ataris´ expression being

Spoiler:

Pretty close actually.

I did some digging and managed to find a screenshot from when it happened.
[Rant] A comic plea for more serious RP. - Page 2 Atarisforumpic1
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next