Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greedy needy Rolaplayers.

+27
Ledgic
Cid
Grufftoof
Solanum
oricol
Helmut
Lexgrad
Sohan
Sullee Swiftspeech
erwtenpeller
Muzjhath
Cathee Norris
Arabella Greene
Buren
Khendran
Drustai
Amaryl
Thelos
Sorayah
Vaell
Xen-tau
siegmund
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Raene
Raenmar
Sabien
Littlepip
31 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Greedy needy Rolaplayers. - Page 2 Empty Re: Greedy needy Rolaplayers.

Post by Cathee Norris Mon May 13, 2013 1:01 pm

I don't know if things changed, but when I was new I came to the server, not knowing what godemote or metagame meant and did it all the time. People still RPed with me (even though I was shy and stayed quiet, watching most of the time - however I think that was good, it gave me a chance to observe the others to see how it was done), and later they explained to me politely what I was doing wrong. As new to the server I never, not even once, felt like this happened to me. People were really helpful everywhere, and I felt like my roleplay progressed only thanks to this server and its roleplayers.

I have never really seen this which people speak of either. I don't know who these "elitist" people speak of are, I think most of the well established roleplayers are quite polite to new people and try and help out where they can. If this happens I think it's a matter of single occasions where the person behind the screen is in a foul mood, drunk or otherwise not in their right might right then - which is human.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Thorvald wrote:Have no idea to say after that picture.. Dammit Arabella for your randomness! ;_;

The problem is that pro Roleplayers ignore the people who are new to Rolaplay. (*Cough* noobs.)
Thus, what is the point of inviting people to our server and promoting Roleplay if we don't give them a chance.

We were all new to roleplay once, we remember the feeling. It might have been different from person to person but the feeling remains.. Being new to a subject can be either scary or not, it differs from man to women.
So ignoring them don't help!

That was just dragged out of my ass by the way.. :/
I bolded the line I will talk about.
In my opinion if any "pro" Roleplayers do, just ignore someone without any interaction. They aren't "pro". They are bad RPers who only want their own story with no changes.
Like Arabella said. The good RPer would interact with them, maybe in a hostile way (Like Muzjhath did with pretty much any elf or forsaken. Was insults or shutting up).
That interaction doesn't have to be pleasant (but if unpleasant I generally used to send a whisper of "sorry -why" so I didn't get a grumpy idiot on my hands).

I know what you mean. I just don't see those as any way shape or form being "pro". They are likely also the people who in an Event can't RP that they're in an extremly thick snowstorm because "It's not snowing in game!"
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Ciccee wrote: I don't know who these "elitist" people speak of are

That's because they don't exist.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon May 13, 2013 1:40 pm

I specifically design my main role-play characters to be forward and easy to engage in contact with anyone. Friendly contact, or not-so-friendly contact doesn't really matter. It's about engaging and interacting.

Delidah is a sparkly bouncy weirdo that talks to anyone with a childish sense of wonder. Alph is a smug sorcerer that doesn't mind telling random people how much dumber they are then him. What a Face

My minor characters are usually more specific and more conceptual, and I have a harder time engaging in random role-play with them. I guess that's why they're minor.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Vaell wrote:I've got to say - this thread seemed like you were bored, wanted a random discussion/some attention. That's just what it seems like.

How did you know..
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Thorvald wrote:
Vaell wrote:I've got to say - this thread seemed like you were bored, wanted a random discussion/some attention. That's just what it seems like.

How did you know..

Experience after like, what five, six threads?

To be fair it's nothing to talk about as most stated a bad RPer will ignore someoen in fully or OOCly tell you to fuck off, instead of IC (Which makes more sense if he's pissed or something ICly). Learning is learning it never ends, for rest it's written above.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Thelos wrote:

Oh, I (used to be) am a huge elitist!
But I've got no issue with new RPers, they'll learn. I often RP with them to help them learn.
I've only got an issue with bad RPers!
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon May 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Muzjhath wrote:
Thelos wrote:

Oh, I (used to be) am a huge elitist!
But I've got no issue with new RPers, they'll learn. I often RP with them to help them learn.
I've only got an issue with bad RPers!

Elitist dog!

who are you to decide what's good and bad! afro

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon May 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Well, his avatar does imply that he's some sort of general? Maybe he's a general in the RP police?
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sullee Swiftspeech Mon May 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Now I'm not saying that you should run into the Auction house and start talking with people there because that would be totally ridiculous..

... Hey. That's rude..
And you'd be surprised at how many people would talk back!
Sullee Swiftspeech
Sullee Swiftspeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Well, his avatar does imply that he's some sort of general? Maybe he's a general in the RP police?

I believe that is Emperor Hirohito, the Japanese Emperor during World War II.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon May 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Ah. So. Appropriately evil, then!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Mon May 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Ciccee wrote:I don't know if things changed, but when I was new I came to the server, not knowing what godemote or metagame meant and did it all the time. People still RPed with me (even though I was shy and stayed quiet, watching most of the time - however I think that was good, it gave me a chance to observe the others to see how it was done), and later they explained to me politely what I was doing wrong. As new to the server I never, not even once, felt like this happened to me. People were really helpful everywhere, and I felt like my roleplay progressed only thanks to this server and its roleplayers.

I have never really seen this which people speak of either. I don't know who these "elitist" people speak of are, I think most of the well established roleplayers are quite polite to new people and try and help out where they can. If this happens I think it's a matter of single occasions where the person behind the screen is in a foul mood, drunk or otherwise not in their right might right then - which is human.
This, pretty much.
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://canthandlemyswag.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 pm

siegmund wrote:
Thorvald wrote:

How did you know..

Experience after like, what five, six threads?
Yeah, stop making threads for a while. Razz
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon May 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Maybe you would understand if you were. I am quite shy irl and at least I feel that does have an effect on my RP at times.

Yeah, this. I find it extremely hard to RP with people I don't know, which is part of the reason I lead a guild. It makes getting involved in things a lot easier and less intimidating.

But I really, even now, can't go into a tavern alone and RP. I did it month or so ago, but that was when I was with a new RPer that was also too shy to go in alone, so I went first to show how to go in and start talking to people. Then she went in. But we both ended up sitting silently and she just watched how other people went about things.

Most of the problem, as I see it, isn't players being elitist and ignoring people - it's just people having nowhere they can just go, knowing they'll be completely welcome, to find someone they can be sure will speak to them and help them if needed. Getting involved is really intimidating.

The Wet Clam was gonna be a sort of solution to that. A tavern with set times, advertised as open and welcoming, with staff who would encourage people to interact together and help new people if necessary. It's still something I intend to do, it's just postponed while I focus on exams and shit.

So yeah, that's what I think. We can't remove elitist players, we can just create an atmosphere where new RPers feel welcome and where it's easier for them to start interacting with people. LFRP also helps with that.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Mon May 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Raenmar wrote:Most of the problem, as I see it, isn't players being elitist and ignoring people - it's just people having nowhere they can just go, knowing they'll be completely welcome, to find someone they can be sure will speak to them and help them if needed.
With this being said, my character Sohan is 98% of the times very welcoming and nice to new people. If you however a too shy to start a conversation yourself a simple whisper will do and I'll start it myself.
I'm VERY shy IRL and tend to be silent around people that aren't close to me (i usually also sit silent in skypecalls), but my IRL shyness completely drops when I play Sohan! Smile
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 pm

i usually also sit silent in skypecalls

Heh, nice to know I'm not the only one that does that.

With this being said, my character Sohan is 98% of the times very welcoming and nice to new people

This is the thing - most people would gladly interact with new RPers, even start the interaction. It's just hard to ask someone. I'd feel like I'm being disruptive if I whispered someone and asked them to start RP, or even if I just went into a tavern and started trying to talk to people.

But the roleplayers themselves, the new ones and the old ones, aren't elitist for the most part. I guess it's partly a problem with the people who want to get involved.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon May 13, 2013 4:26 pm

I will agree with that. We, at least in Stormwind, lack a social gathering point atm. It'd be nice to have a place where people just lurk.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon May 13, 2013 4:27 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Ah. So. Appropriately evil, then!

I am not sure how much power he had over the war tbh. He did produce the greatest bit of understatement in the world after the 2 bombs fell on Japan "I think the war has not developed in our favour".

As for this thread, TBH just force your RP on others.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Vaell wrote:I will agree with that. We, at least in Stormwind, lack a social gathering point atm. It'd be nice to have a place where people just lurk.

When I started I just hung out in the Pig. The Blades were running it with staff at the time, loads of Blades and randoms in it, the Blades recruited loads of people just because they were busy. It is why I like having HQs for guilds, if I want guards I can go to see the CC, if I want to drink I can go to the Pig. I think the DoL look like they are in the Cath district now. But yeah bars and communal hubs are good.

From when I run guilds and events you always get the shy/quiet/not confidant RPers who dont say much. Try to identify them, give them some attention and force them to speak and RP with you and others, only way they will get over it.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon May 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I personally find it intimidating when a tavern is owned by a guild. It feels like I shouldn't be there.

That's why my favourite tavern will always be Murdyr's Blue Recluse. It was a tavern for the sake of being a tavern, not a guild house serving drinks. The people there were tavern staff that actually made it part of their RP to welcome and interact with everyone who came in.

That was the first place I really got into RP on DB (outside of guild RP), and I kept going back until it closed.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Mon May 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Clearly I don't understand all of this shy lark.
I am loud, obnoxious and outgoing and am usually the one that will be happy to talk to myself in a skype conversation if everyone else is being shy. Razz
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Buren Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Greedy needy Rolaplayers. - Page 2 Picard-facepalm
I need no words! Except these...
Buren
Buren

Character sheet
Name: Buren Agamand
Title: Captain of the Crusade

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut Mon May 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Buren wrote:Greedy needy Rolaplayers. - Page 2 Picard-facepalm
I need no words! Except these...

I agree. I don't really see the point of a common sence thread like this. Yes! Ofcourse we can help people to start RPing, but its those who are new and WANT to RP who has to take the first step. When I moved to this server, about 9 months ago, I only RPed with my guild. Then everyone left and I was stuck trying to find new RP on ths server. It was the same week as the Jade Fist compaign and I walked into the RP and grabbed it by the balls! If you want to RP then you go and take the chance. FInd a guild or a spot and do it. Don't stand around waiting for others to approach you because thats not how the world works. Never expect people to come and RP with you for whatever. During the 7-8 years I have been RPing in WoW I have seen TONS of people who walk to a spot near the RP, sit down and /sigh and then /sigh till someone interacts with them and it always make me cringe. If you want something then you have to do it yourself and take that first step.

Last edited by Helmut on Mon May 13, 2013 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Helmut
Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Mon May 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Lexgrad wrote:The Blades were running it with staff at the time
We still do. Though, the two barmaids are sadly not online everyday but I do not expect them to be either. If asked for it, Sohan will be more than happy to serve someone a drink and have a chat (as he was the barman for a few months) unless he's busy with other tasks, of course.

Raenmar wrote:I personally find it intimidating when a tavern is owned by a guild. It feels like I shouldn't be there.
I got that feeling the first time I entered the Pig aswell. My way of getting over that "fear" was to talk to the people in there, get to know them IC. Then again, my character is a very social type of person and I knew the barmaid at the time OOC.
We're all very friendly in the bar/tavern, or well, the most of us.

Helmut wrote:If you want to RP then you go and take the chance. FInd a guild or a spot and do it. Don't stand around waiting for others to approach you because thats not how the world works. If you want something one you have to do it yourself and take that first step.
This. But helping someone take that first step is not a bad thing either.
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next