Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flying Mounts - IC?

+37
Vragnor
Chase - Esou
Whiston Farley
Mallea/Trollmeat
Torukan
Mordazan
Jayse
Dorik Thunderbelly
Halya
Raviran / Reynar
Mikasa
Nayan
Arathoran
Gnar
Cathee Norris
Zhakiri
Jomir
Cid
Shaelyssa
(Goggy) - Exilius
Gunnell
Ataris
Melnerag
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Sanara
Manathon
Dharum
Kristeas Sunbinder
Geldar
Morgeth
Tso/Feloreth
Elízabéth Moren
Gogol
Mandui
Krogon Devilstep
Kozgugore Feraleye
Magaskawee/Anaei
41 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Flying Mounts - IC? - Page 2 Empty Re: Flying Mounts - IC?

Post by (Goggy) - Exilius Sun May 02, 2010 6:47 am

Mandui wrote:The Twilight drake, it's been my IC mount for over a year now.

The moment you're caught on photo with that, you're screwed. D:

Wait, Sanara is Blinkie!?

Taste that pay' back tri'fold you honourless fart! Razz

Well you know' by now what mount Exilius uses X)

As for the rest of my characters' simple and proper mounts.
(Goggy) - Exilius
(Goggy) - Exilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun May 02, 2010 7:42 am

A hippogryph, of course! I can just imagine Shaelyssa coming swooping down and chopping those little, ugly green orc heads off! *sighs dreamily*

Haha - jokes aside, I'm really looking forward flying mounts in Kalimdor! I heard we'ld be able to fly all the way up to Teldrassil! I can't wait!

EDIT: Actually, now I think about it, nearly everyone's going to end up flying a drake! D: That's going to be terrible and also butchering the lore - eeep! Here's to hoping people will remember dragons in WoW aren't unintelligent beasts but in fact the very opposite!
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Sun May 02, 2010 7:55 am

Shaelyssa wrote:dragons in WoW aren't unintelligent beasts

Drakes on the other hand...
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 am

Merandil wrote:

Haha - I suppose you're right then :p, they're probably way more different than I thought. I always thought dragons in general were intelligent with the exception of whelps.

In any case, it'll be super fun, I'm sure (even if I see a blood elf warlock riding a green drake - grrr! >:p ).
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Sun May 02, 2010 8:33 am

Merandil wrote:

Drakes are Dragons. And most Dragons are intelligent.

But I mean, it's not the worst they've done with the lore. :3
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sun May 02, 2010 8:34 am

I'll probably use the red armored gryphon as IC mount, and my drake for shock. /mountspecial on a dragon/drake is epic anyway.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 am

Going with the all things mechanical theme, Jomirs IC mount is his new flying machine
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 am

Nygarth's IC mount would be the Red Armoured Gryphon, alas! I don't have epic flying on the loladin so it'll just be the normal Gryphon til I do.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Sun May 02, 2010 10:57 am

Normal hired gryphon for probably all of my characters. However Saihna is probably gonna remain mostly on the ground as she does not enjoy hight.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Sun May 02, 2010 11:22 am

Ataris wrote:Drakes are Dragons. And most Dragons are intelligent.

Exempting Proto-Drakes for obvious reasons, most "common" drakes seem very eager to allow themselves to be used as mounts. I think the idea is kind of like riding an elephant or a horse in that, they don't really mind, it's an exciting experience.

Drakes are young, sometimes younger than their mortal riders (Not just the extremely long-lived races, either) and by and large you don't see many drakes or dragons going out on their own, there's always very official business, guard this, give quests to those, etcetera, so at least in my mind there's a strong likelihood that a young, rash drake could go "Fuck that noise!" and team up with some "mortal" hero for glory, adventure and treasure (Do dragons in WoW even like treasure?).
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Sun May 02, 2010 11:33 am

Merandil wrote:
Ataris wrote:Drakes are Dragons. And most Dragons are intelligent.

Exempting Proto-Drakes for obvious reasons, most "common" drakes seem very eager to allow themselves to be used as mounts. I think the idea is kind of like riding an elephant or a horse in that, they don't really mind, it's an exciting experience.

Drakes are young, sometimes younger than their mortal riders (Not just the extremely long-lived races, either) and by and large you don't see many drakes or dragons going out on their own, there's always very official business, guard this, give quests to those, etcetera, so at least in my mind there's a strong likelihood that a young, rash drake could go "Fuck that noise!" and team up with some "mortal" hero for glory, adventure and treasure (Do dragons in WoW even like treasure?).

That's because you're supposed to be "the one". WoW lore wise is supposed to be seen from a solo perspective, which the raid thing kinda screws over, admittedly. The way I see it there aren't 11 million Drakes out there so to speak.

And most Drakes don't just allow anyone to use them as mounts and most don't have that rash personality afaik, maybe the Blacks do but that'd be it. The Nether Drake chain illustrates this very well. It's just that they kinda fucked themselves over with Wrath. Everything's too fucking easy to accomplish, and then there's the stuff that doesn't really make sense (Twilight Drakes and Frost Wyrms anyone?).
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnar Mon May 03, 2010 7:32 am

Wholeheartedly agree on the dragon thing. I find it very dubious to see so many dragons flying around, to be honest - especially ones people are using "in character". Without a pretty good story, it just doesn't make sense to me that this either completely savage creature (proto-Drake) or intelligent creature (Dragon) would just submit and serve as an occasional mount for someone who wanted to look a bit impressive. Many dragons died in Northrend (you only have to fly through Dragonblight to see that) and their aspects will have much loftier matters in Cata (errr, Deathwing anyone?) than being taxis for jumped up mortals. So even the "carefree and adventurous young drake" would surely get called back to their aspect instead of wasting their ability on flying a mortal around. Dragons who want to observe or affect mortals usually take on the form of a mortal to do it - not let one fly around on them. Red dragons had all that trouble with the Orcs riding them and battling the blues and the Lich King, Malygos is dead, Nozdormu is still flitting about in time, and Ysera hasn't woken up from the dream yet. Basically... I would've thought all the aspects had something much more important to be doing than letting all their young go off and circle above Stormwind looking kewl. And proto-drakes... I would've thought that most that were subdued by their "master" would fly off at the first opportunity and go decimate Elwynn Forest at the earliest opportunity. Maybe that's just me though.

And as Ataris says - playing WoW PvE gives the feeling that you are a mortal hero and the future Thrall or Jaina. Everyone gives you expensive gifts for doing small tasks and you are the key to many events. You carry around a bag with thirty mounts in it, ready to say "Violet Proto-Drake... I choose you", add water and mount up. I would hope that IC most people wouldn't dream of riding a dragon - that it would be something scarey and unheard of. Yes - Cata will see a thousand dragons perched around cities in the points where they haven't applied the no-flight zone debuff properly. But IC... shouldn't it be Wyverns and Gryphons all the way? And not even armoured ones for most of us.

Gnar will try to be unique and stick with his beloved Wolf. He'll rent a Wyvern from the Wyvern Master if he needs to fly anywhere.

Gnar

Back to top Go down

Post by Arathoran Mon May 03, 2010 8:38 am

[quote="Gnar"]....But IC... shouldn't it be Wyverns and Gryphons all the way? And not even armoured ones for most of us.... [quote]

i can agree to the fact that it should be Wyverns and Gryphons for those who doesn't have a good story behind it, but if it's armoured or not is for the owner to choose themselves.
Arathoran
Arathoran

Character sheet
Name: Arathoran Dawnbringer
Title: Advisor to Eloresh Silversmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 am

I think the point is that most people do in fact have an IC story or explanation ready and waiting for them. Regardless of one way or another though, I think it'd be a shame to let all those prettier mounts lie by the side if you only plan on using a gryphon or wyvern all the time. Those hard-earned mounts (at least in game terms) are meant to be shown off. Sure, it's going to be a bit of a trouble to find an IC excuse to use a frost wyrm, for example, but even there, a story can be thought up of.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Mon May 03, 2010 9:42 am

Kozgugore Feraleye wrote:I think the point is that most people do in fact have an IC story or explanation ready and waiting for them. Regardless of one way or another though, I think it'd be a shame to let all those prettier mounts lie by the side if you only plan on using a gryphon or wyvern all the time. Those hard-earned mounts (at least in game terms) are meant to be shown off. Sure, it's going to be a bit of a trouble to find an IC excuse to use a frost wyrm, for example, but even there, a story can be thought up of.

I hate to have to say this but I disagree with you on that point :( ! The majority of those "explanations" tend to be very poor, most of which I think would go something along the lines of: Oh I found the egg last month and now I'm raising the dragon as my own! Besides, it would be very silly if everyone was flying around on a dragon anyways since well, it'd just look silly - haha! I believe it'ld take away from the immersion one seeks from role-playing so I think most people don't feel it's ok to ride dragons just because they're "pretty" and that we don't want to waste their "prettiness" when it takes away from the immersion of role-playing! Dragons aren't horses, they're as intelligent as we are (or some of us anyways :p)! But in all honesty, people can ride whatever the heck they want! As long as you're having fun and you're not bothering anyone else, everything's fine in my eyes!

Personally, I at least won't really mind if people ride dragons since I'll be too busy riding my hippogryph to notice those sparkly dragons - haha!
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Arathoran Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 am

When looking at the never ending battle at Wyrmrest temple, I believe that theres plenty of drakes around.. xD So who ever wants to ride a drake can do so without fearing if they're running low on drakes.
Arathoran
Arathoran

Character sheet
Name: Arathoran Dawnbringer
Title: Advisor to Eloresh Silversmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 am

As Arathoran already pointed out, there are plenty of dragons out there, apparently who are willing to be ridden (into combat) as well. Not only is this the case with Wyrmrest, if you look at the humongous amount of eggs scattered around Netherwing Ledge in Shadowmoon, there's bound to be a bumload of nether drakes too. Yes, dragons have free will, but much like a hunter can have an animal companion, these dragons can -choose- to go with the adventurer to go 'save the world' as well. I think this is the entire point of allowing us to use these drakes and dragons. They just as much don't want to see the world end as much as we humanoids do.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 am

*patiently awaits P.E.T.D.*
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 am

I myself havent given much thought about making my roleplay focus around the mounts I use. But there was this time when I thought it would be interesting to have my paladin be romantically involved with his red drake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Mon May 03, 2010 10:58 am

The only mount I'm using IC'ly, on topic, is my troll's frost wolf, as it's the closest thing to what Frostmane Trolls actually mount.
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Mon May 03, 2010 11:52 am

Kozgugore Feraleye wrote:As Arathoran already pointed out, there are plenty of dragons out there, apparently who are willing to be ridden (into combat) as well. Not only is this the case with Wyrmrest, if you look at the humongous amount of eggs scattered around Netherwing Ledge in Shadowmoon, there's bound to be a bumload of nether drakes too. Yes, dragons have free will, but much like a hunter can have an animal companion, these dragons can -choose- to go with the adventurer to go 'save the world' as well. I think this is the entire point of allowing us to use these drakes and dragons. They just as much don't want to see the world end as much as we humanoids do.

I honestly have trouble believing there's 11 million of each though.

At the end of the day, it's not like it matters. People should have a good IC excuse imo though.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm

I don't believe there's 11 million players on the server, no? Let stand all of them using dragons, if they can even use flying mounts to begin with.

Sure, some stories may be bad, but the ones I've seen of dragons so far in-game are anything but cliché. I don't see where the problem is in that case, if you simply want to use that fancy-looking dragon you've earned with well-spent time.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm

I don't see where the problem is in that case, if you simply want to use that fancy-looking dragon you've earned with well-spent time.

One word: Frostwyrm.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Mon May 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Already mentioned that one in my first post regarding the subject. Yeah, you better come up with a damn good excuse if you plan to use that one IC (just as much as using a celestial steed IC, for example), but if you can do so in a genuine way in the end, all the more kudos to that person.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 pm

-shrug- Its just that everyone tries to do ride something over the top and have some half arsed excuse for it, not like we havent seen that one before. I`d rather stick to something more simple and realistic like a Gryphon than the bastard child of Alexstraza and the Lich King made manifest in the form of a mount!

PS: And I laugh at those ridding the Celestial Steed ICly, even if with a background story I cannot take something like that serious.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next