Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mounts and IC

+14
Skarain
Drustai
Lexgrad
Helmut
Tuomas/Decurius
erwtenpeller
Vaell
Amaryl
Jeanpierre
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Muzjhath
Thelos
Coppersocket
Zouyo
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mounts and IC Empty Mounts and IC

Post by Zouyo Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:32 am

We've now gotten all of these mounts and stuff, particularly with MoP and its introduction of new mounts. Some can be regarded as very much an OOC mount like the store-mount Heart of the Aspects, however, there are those that can actually be used legit given the right amount of IC interaction.

Cloud Serpents for instance. And Blizz has given recently an awesome timeframe for how long it would take to raise one of these beasts and call it as your own, and also an insight to their own mindsets.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/destination-pandaria/faction-stories/strength-of-steel/1

Assuming this Koak was there with the initial group, it can be assumed that the growth rate of a Cloud Serpent can be about *does some calculations off the top of my head for how long the patches have been going on* nine months maybe? How long's MoP been around to reach 5.3? *goes to check* MoP was released in August 2012, 5.3 was released May 2013... so about nine months.

So it takes nine months to get a Cloud Serpent give or take given WoW timelines etc.

As for other mounts I think we can easily say that bats are a very much troll racial mount, in the same vein that wyverns can traditionally be called Orc/Tauren ones, although I suppose Forsaken can use bats as well? Anything mechanical for a goblin, and blood elves have Dragonhawks and/or hippogryphs perhaps?

Alliance come down to much the same effect. Hippogryphs for Night Elves, Gryphons for Dwarves/Humans although more in favour of dwarves due to the wildhammers, mechanical for the gnomes. And yes I'm counting Worgen as humans for the arguement of flying mounts. Draenei... Hmm... maaaaaybe hippogryphs although I'm more inclined to suggest Nether Rays...

Death Knights are the whole Acherus Deathcharger and Skeletal Gryphon, with maybe a Frost Wyrm given enough IC reasoning. Least that's my opinion.

What are everyone elses thoughts on mounts exotic or otherwise? And feel free to redirect this if there's already an existing thread on this discussion. ^_^''
Zouyo
Zouyo

Character sheet
Name: Grek'thar Earthstorm
Title: Crazy orc

Back to top Go down

Mounts and IC Empty Re: Mounts and IC

Post by Coppersocket Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 am

I believe someone already made a thread about this, a very lengthy one too in fact. Dunno where it disappeared to.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:43 am

Mounts.

They're in the game.

You can use them.

Those were my thoughts.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 pm

/e farts out a gigantic mammoth that shouldn't have fit inside his anus (What does he do with that there?) and rides away into the sunset!

The only issue I generally have with mounts. WHere do they come from?
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Unfortunately obtaining race-appropriate flying mounts for Blood Elves and Night Elves requires extensive collecting and grinding dead reputations, which usually just winds up with a wyvern or gryphon used in response. Damned shame the only flying bat mount sans Troll-Druid flight-form was released as a cash grabbing ploy, my Forsaken would have cried; if she had eyes.

Mounts are perfectly legitimate in role-play, so long as you don't use them to push an unfair advantage. Suddenly coughing up a protodrake midfight or something along those lines. Personally I try to integrate a mount into my character, rather than it being a nameless mass of polygons.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm on a horse.

... and sometimes a gryphon.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Amy Rides Justice.

(What she named her Charger that...)
Also, she rides a myriad of other mounts whenever she feels like it. except dragons those are a bit too big to birth out at moment's notice from her loins.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 pm

As long as the RP story behind it is good/makes sense, exotic mounts are usually fine. When people start flying around Stormwind on a dragon or some silly mount, that's when I'm out.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Amaryl wrote:Amy Rides Justice.

(What she named her Charger that...)
Also, she rides a myriad of other mounts whenever she feels like it. except dragons those are a bit too big to birth out at moment's notice from her loins.

It worries me that you said "at a moments notice", and not just that you can't pop out dragons like pingpong balls.

So is there a cooldown or what?
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeah, I have to open up my mount tab, and scroll to my dragons before she can queef them out.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:05 pm

I don't like big mounts like dragons because they're big. They distract me. I don't really care if they're "RP APPROVED" or whatever, if your warlock wants to ride a nether drake, be my guest.

But don't shove it in my face or park it in my backyard, please.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:21 pm

As mentioned above, I prefeer keeping mounts with the character. Take muzjhath, she haded landbased riding and would run if she had the option, but loved flying on the wyvern she later tamed.

My biggest issue with mounts would be the IC use of "Pulling them out of ass" with no prior RP of them being around.
As clishe a thing as emoting a whistle first fixes this for me (Since everyone knows that a heroes horse is trained to hear the hero whistle from anywhere! Bread for it!). But standing around talking after having -WALKED- somewhere, then mounting up without prior bringing of horse/wolf/Whatever. That peevs me. Walk/Run somewhere, Walk/Run back even if IC emergency happens! Consequense!
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Obviously my trained warhorses are trained to follow me around when i'm walking too, they're fucking Jolly jumper. I just tend to walk towards a nearby fence, or post or tree and mount from there. because i obviously left my horse there.

or better yet the Old: whistle for your gryphon. nobody will ever "walk into" him because he's perched on a building! ha! take that policeman.

My biggest gripe with mounts are people that hover on flying mounts(chopper exception). That doesn't make any fucking sense. it looks just plain stupid, and a bird isn't a fucking helicopter. but that bird on the ground or actually fly around.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:32 pm

But... They clearly can hover in place. Even cloud serpents.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Amaryl wrote:Obviously my trained warhorses are trained to follow me around when i'm walking too, they're fucking Jolly jumper. I just tend to walk towards a nearby fence, or post or tree and mount from there. because i obviously left my horse there.

or better yet the Old: whistle for your gryphon. nobody will ever "walk into" him because he's perched on a building! ha! take that policeman.

My biggest gripe with mounts are people that hover on flying mounts(chopper exception). That doesn't make any fucking sense. it looks just plain stupid, and a bird isn't a fucking helicopter. but that bird on the ground or actually fly around.
When holding events etc I have many times been evil in "Leave your mounts behind" and, as having been in an IC position of authority gone "Wolf stay here" Etc.
Generally when out scouting or training.

As for flying. I don't really like the "Jump start" either. That is, up o a gryphon or wyvern and then just jump up into the air from flat ground with no momentum.
You can put so much RP into the use of your mount, yet sadly most I see are lazy (on this point even I, once upon a time, before I realised it)
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuomas/Decurius Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:57 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:But... They clearly can hover in place. Even cloud serpents.

What he said.

As for ground mounts, I usually rp worgen so issue solved. The only rp char of mine who actually owns mounts is Grenier, and in both cases there's a reason behind it: he's old, so he can't really drop on fours and run around as some other worgen can. We know that the worgen curse settles most of the old age issues, but I'd not push it too much for me. So, as a flying mount he has an armored gryphon with no particular attachment to it, being he an (almost former) Alliance officer. As a ground mount he has instead a Shado-Pan Tiger, (name yet to be decided, I went for one but was the whim of the moment actually), which is there for IC reasons: he's been in Pandaria, fell in love with it and he actually joined in most of the events in lore which happened after 5.0, helping defeating the mogu away and so on. I will and work more on that if IC asked but for now this is it, in pills.

Mounts are a tool, imho. Do things that make sense, and don't use them only 'cause they're cool, I'd say. No need to write a complete backstory à la Invincible, but at the same time find a reason to explain why your char is using such mount and not another.
As for 'showing the mount moving' tbh I agree with both parties. Azeroth doesn't answer to the same physical laws of earth, and most flying mounts(but even ground ones) are simply magical. I'd say, use your imagination for them. For the most normal, i.e. horses, I'd make them behave as they normally would irl. Whoever has been on a horse knows that they can hardly stay still for more than a minute: show that they move.
Tuomas/Decurius
Tuomas/Decurius

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 pm

My Gnome Helmut owns a kodo that he stole from a Tauren a couple of years ago. He calls it "Bongos" and its fun to ride around on a big, clumsy mount and brag loudly what a good spy you are. Also gnome on kodo action.
Helmut
Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Amaryl wrote:Yeah, I have to open up my mount tab, and scroll to my dragons before she can queef them out.

Uther would be so proud... Jaina too Wink
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:09 pm

In my opinion, almost every mount can be justified. Yes, even dragons. Players are the heroes, and dragon riders do exist, both of the mundane (protodrake) and the "partnership" kind (sapient drakes).

The key thing for me is that you have an appropriate explanation for your mount if it is something out of the ordinary. If you're using a drake for example, which are sapient creatures, you need to have a story for how you've managed to earn this drake's trust and companionship. As long as people have that, I don't mind what they use.

As far as power goes, like all things it must simply be used responsibly. Players with powerful mounts shouldn't feel wrong to use them, but they should take care to ensure that whatever they do enhances the fun of others, rather than degrades it. For example, the time when I used Dru's frostwyrm to its full potential was crafted as a fun "boss fight" DM event for Horde players to contend with, which lead to the dragon's destruction (and it has not been replaced since).

For me personally I've used the following:

Among the common mounts, Dru has used talbuks, elekks, deathchargers, nether rays, and skeletal gryphons. Less common she's used a frostwyrm (which was destroyed by the Horde, so she doesn't have any anymore), and is currently using a flying disc. The disc is magical and responds to calls, explaining how it can be called from anywhere. It flies up in the sky until summoned, at which point it comes flying down to land on the ground.

Areyah just uses horses, copters, and choppers. I've debated getting her a protodrake, but copter works better as a flying mount for her, I think.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:00 pm

In my opinion, almost every mount can be justified.
Basically this. Have a good story for it and roleplay the mount out well.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:11 pm

I ride a blackdragon flight drake and it's the son of onyxia.

Edit: Deathwing's the dad, especially since there was only one dragon that could mate with him without dying, which clearly makes it reasonable to assume Onyxia is the mother (Since she wasn't his mate)

I found him in a ditch, he said he fled the lair after having been part of one too many fanfics, so I took him in, renamed him Bacon and made him a vegetarian.
Then I put a saddle on him and we flew off on adventure and burned Areyah's hair when she was going to the council. Then the guards came and we killed them.

Then I became king.

Edit 2: Also, if you call my lore shit I'm going to report u, fucking scrubs. xdxdxdxdxdxd
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Lexgrad wrote:
Amaryl wrote:Yeah, I have to open up my mount tab, and scroll to my dragons before she can queef them out.

Uther would be so proud... Jaina too Wink

Uther would be: I trained her well, she so strong in the ways of the silver-hand dragons come out of her cunt. Yeah shadow best fear! And jaina'd be all like: OMG! Teach me!

and then there'd be an erotic fan-fiction of lesbian sex(because its night obviously) While Uther helps himself and the girls with his spirit ooze. Which will then be adapted in a screen-play and made as a direct to tv movie, with nicholas cage playing a cross-dressed Amaryl, and Uther being played by Idris Elba, because he became black when he died.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Jaina prefers Blue ones I hear :p
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Greenbeard Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 am

Use all the mounts you want, they don't cost, they don't need upkeep and to be cleaned often.
And you don't need a stable.
If your character is wealthy enough to afford all of these. Go ahead.
Greenbeard
Greenbeard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Eve Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Coppersocket wrote:he said he fled the lair after having been part of one too many fanfics

Does that mean I have to stop with my steamy incest fanfics?
Eve
Eve

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next