Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is your character open to death?

+51
Buren
Sorayah
Feydor
Thelos
Kittrina
Littlepip
Shaelyssa
Dolerien
Coppernut
Rargnasha
Muzjhath
Anivitas
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Sullee Swiftspeech
Lorthan
Arkil
Calisar
Coppersocket
Delinith
Lexgrad
Cemdor
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Odgan / Keag
erwtenpeller
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Valdar/Melan
Larnira
Celistra
Thondalar Stormleaf
Ledgic
Allonia_Miral
Cid
siegmund
Brigs Morgan
Feral / Blackfall
Solanum
Finnabhair
Seranita
Amaryl
Grufftoof
Raene
Emrys
Raenmar
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Eve
Tuomas/Decurius
Drustai
Kristeas Sunbinder
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Ixirar
Vaell
55 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Is your character open to death? - Page 5 Empty Re: Is your character open to death?

Post by Lexgrad Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Gor'Thrak Frosthowl wrote:On the subject of the weight of armour: in WoW there are minerals that are stronger than steel while being much lighter. An example of this would be saronite, which weights 1/4th of what steel does. And no, saronite doesn't necessarily turn you insane as it can be bended when forged.

Edit: I must stress that this is WoW, a fantasy game, not Sims.

I am sure somewere it is mentioned that it would make the living go craizy if they wear it. But yeah there are other metals. As far as I know there is not a easy referance for material costs and weight so... idk I guess we would be best thinking in terms of steel mostly.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Is your character open to death? - Page 5 Empty Re: Is your character open to death?

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:45 pm

Lexgrad wrote:
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl wrote:On the subject of the weight of armour: in WoW there are minerals that are stronger than steel while being much lighter. An example of this would be saronite, which weights 1/4th of what steel does. And no, saronite doesn't necessarily turn you insane as it can be bended when forged.

I am sure somewere it is mentioned that it would make the living go craizy if they wear it. But yeah there are other metals. As far as I know there is not a easy referance for material costs and weight so... idk I guess we would be best thinking in terms of steel mostly.

The exampes that come to mind are:
Using mithril instead of standard materials, about halfs the weight of an item.
Elementium on the other hand is much heavier, a set of armor would pretty much make you immobile (if well protected).
And truesilver items need to be feed magic to be stable.
Atleast according to wowpedia Very Happy

Edit: *checks* and apparently thorium has a weight similar to lead.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Well we do now thanks to Kristeas! Very Happy

Suddenly Thorium armour isnt looking so good, Lead weighs a tonne.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Well we do now thanks to Kristeas! Very Happy

Suddenly Thorium armour isnt looking so good, Lead weighs a tonne.

On that note, apparently only adamantite can pierce thorium armor with some reliability.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Lexgrad wrote:

I am sure somewere it is mentioned that it would make the living go craizy if they wear it.

Originally, yes, but then the Ashen Verdict came and crafted Saronite armour for everyone without making them go insane.
Wowpedia wrote:The Ashen Verdict appears to have found a way to bend Saronite
Unprepared saronite does however as you say turn them insane.

@ Ixirar, hand said person similar (Or better) gear and I've no doubts that it'd be possible.
And to fit the scene of WoW more, I think he would've pretty much 1 shotted them all if he had an ability from Warcraft, quite similar to the guy shown at 2:06 in the video below.

This is the game that you play.

Last edited by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:46 pm; edited 6 times in total
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Coppersocket wrote:
Raene wrote:Still, it felt good to get that out.
We discussed this and settled this in whispers, I do not see why you have to take it to the forums and continue this even further when it's already settled. I though better of you.
Disappointed.

Ehh, as stated it had irked me. Immensely.

I thought I was over it. Guess not.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Ashen Verdict are neutral. I'm not so sure they are making saronite armour for 'everyone' in times of war.
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 pm

However, after an art is learned at one place it often spreads out. We are able to make saronite armour with blacksmithing after all. I'm not saying that all should go around sporting Saronite, I'm saying that it is very much possible and not as straight forward as they try to make it out to be and I'm merely using it as an example amongst many.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:28 am

After having lost four chars and my two mains I have rolled on the survival in things several times now, I can with certainty say I am open for death. However concerning my mains I'd prefer it to be a bit more epic then just a random stray arrow, so to say.

But one never know.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuomas/Decurius Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

Simaria wrote:After having lost four chars and my two mains I have rolled on the survival in things several times now, I can with certainty say I am open for death. However concerning my mains I'd prefer it to be a bit more epic then just a random stray arrow, so to say.

But one never know.
As I said, I'm open to death as long as it makes sense and it is story wise good. I think as roleplay as a bit of storytelling and so death should be meaningful and have an appropriate treatment. We all create and rp 'heroic' chars, people who face death in their almost everyday life, or who have even died. Partly, it's due to the scenery: wow is a world of war, at war and with terrible dangers encompassing the lives of it's people. Still, our chars are not the average John Doe, the little soldier whom nobody knows or remembers by name who dies in battle. Our chars, mostly, are 'heroes', meaning people with great abilities and skills, people who can coat their weapons in poisons and summon dark energies, people who can actually conjure fire in their hands, people who can call forward armies of zombies or elementals, people who can entagle enemies in roots and transform in birds and fly. In such setting and frame of mind, the quotidianity of death in wow fades away, and regains it's meaning for the storytelling purpose: death in storytelling is a very powerful tool, and should not be wasted or worse, made random.
That's why, even if I get along with those who do roll on such thing, I'd never do that on my chars, or other's chars. his reason and the reason that a random roll is really a cheap way to settle stories or kill off chars, especially considering how much effort often on those chars or those stories was put by people.
Tuomas/Decurius
Tuomas/Decurius

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 pm

Have top agreed with Richard here at that one, I wouldn't want Martha to die just because someone got lucky on a roll.

All though I love every dark thing that Wow has to offer (If we don't count two Death Knights having sex because that's... * Crosses her arms and shivers of fear*) I don't like it when someone attempts to kill her with some lame move and then gets lucky on a roll.
To get hurt with with a roll that is above your own roll is one thing, but when someone rolls to kill me that's just.. Meh, not acceptable for me.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Today when I was faced with Raenmar taking fatal injuries in a DM event I accepted his death completely, started writing a story about his last thoughts. I'd always wanted to write a final journal entry before he dies but that doesn't fit a lot of cases.

And then when presented with a way out, I chose that.

So I really don't know if he's open to death anymore. The whole time it felt like he couldn't actually, permanently die, even though I knew that was the way it was going and intended to let it go that way. I guess after all this time playing him it'd just take a bit of getting used to.

I think if it had been part of a bigger plot, rather than just a minor DM event, he'd definitely have died. I'd have regretted it though.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 am

Thankfully world of warcraft is a world that provides plenty of "saving throws" before character death is permanent Wink
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Buren Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 am

Haha Raenmar.. I'm sorry, I wont DM you to death again :3

As for me, I'm willing to let my characters die. -However- I wont just die from some random semi-loller or something that doesnt make sense at all. Some characters I'd let go off more easily, like Muscle, because for me he doesnt really have any value at the moment.

Buren on the other hand. Well, since I dont really hold something important to him I'm pretty open about it aswell, but I'd not let him die as carelessly.

Thankfully world of warcraft is a world that provides plenty of "saving throws" before character death is permanent

Which it shouldnt. I can agree to once or maybe twice.. But I know some that literally resurrects every month. If the actual thing can create some grand RP plot (like some high cultist lurking about) then I could accept that aswell, otherwise its pretty silly imo.
Buren
Buren

Character sheet
Name: Buren Agamand
Title: Captain of the Crusade

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 am

One thing I'm exploring at the minute is death by being mortal. Becoming old, and dying due to age infirmity. Something especially daunting for my Night Elf, as well as daunting to all those other Nelves around her who were also once immortal.

Any thoughts on that?
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Catari Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 am

I had an old main character of mine die somewhat due to old age back when Cataclysm started. The Marauders were fleeing their old home, as it was getting filled with mobs due to the Cata world revamp. My old tauren carried two of our Marauders away from the fighting, he was shot in the arm, which wasnt exactly lethal, but along with being exhausted from carrying two men, and being a Tauren in a very resepctable age, he simply died.
Five minutes later, the Marauders got the news of Cairne's death.

I've had quite a few of my characters die. I still feel to this day that my old tauren had the best death.

In regards to my main. I dont think i'd be open to her dying. Atleast not at this moment. I believe i have much more playability in her still, and i'd like to explore that.
Catari
Catari

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:21 am

Senariul wrote:One thing I'm exploring at the minute is death by being mortal. Becoming old, and dying due to age infirmity. Something especially daunting for my Night Elf, as well as daunting to all those other Nelves around her who were also once immortal.

Any thoughts on that?

On the subject of Night Elves it's not that long since they became mortal, and if I remember correctly what the immortality did was to allow them to grow mature and then stop it all up completely. As such they're now growing older in a physical term from the point where it was stopped, so a much longer time should have to pass before any of them are even near the point where they'd die from old age.
Let's say that all were for example frozen in time at an age of 30. When the time got unfrozen all would still be 30 and slowly grow older from that point.
But I suppose that Elves find that time to be much shorter than we do, so the fear (Or the thought) of it is understandable. Silly Night Elves. Razz

A currently inactive character of mine is near the point of dying from old age though, and it's entertaining to play around with. There are plenty of things to RP around from such a simple concept. A note: he's an Orc.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 am

I don't know the actual mechanics of the immortality but that's the generally accepted view of it, yes. Personally, I believe that since that time was 'paused', it's now rapidly catching up to them. Not instant aging like Solid Snake from MGS2, to MGS4, but accelerated aging akin to Robin Williams in 'Jack'.

When Malfurion in Wolfheart feels his mortality enroaching as his body aches, and his joints are stiff due to his body degrading, then we have Nelves like Shalasyr dying due to old age and being around the same age as my Nelf I'm led to believe that it's not too far out of the realms of possibility.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Back in the olde days...fortunately not. I remember I got some of my characters into plenty of situations where, if I look at it now, they could've been easily killed off for acting stupid. But luckily others back then also probably knew that WoW was my first touch into roleplaying, thus I took "some minor" risks in it...

Nowadays...maybe? Suppose it depends. Like some have already said, it should at least have some meaning to me (and hopefully to some others), if it were to happen.

The Z

Character sheet
Name: Zobke, aka, Mr. Z
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ara Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Bob's got a knack for beating the odds....atm however cba
Ara
Ara

Character sheet
Name: Ara
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:43 pm

I really hate necroposting but I have found a question that bothers me and I found it better to bring this subject back up again then creating a new topic about the same thing.

I get that when you create a criminal character you have automatically made yourself open to death and prepared to take the consequences for your actions. However is this something that goes two ways?
When you create an character that fights other people they they Should be placed as open to death and ready to take the consequences for their actions to, not just with the evil character. I can't help but notice there are some people that thinks it is just the evil characters that should suffer a character death and not the good guys.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I go by the simple rule that I'm open to as much damage to my character as my opponent is; equal terms. Preferably both sides are open to death. That you've the law backing you up doesn't mean that your actions go without consequences.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Thorvald wrote:I really hate necroposting but I have found a question that bothers me and I found it better to bring this subject back up again then creating a new topic about the same thing.

I get that when you create a criminal character you have automatically made yourself open to death and prepared to take the consequences for your actions. However is this something that goes two ways?
When you create an character that fights other people they they Should be placed as open to death and ready to take the consequences for their actions to, not just with the evil character. I can't help but notice there are some people that thinks it is just the evil characters that should suffer a character death and not the good guys.
Half this topic has been about how a good guy has to be as open towards death (if doing stupid crap) as a bad guy.

The good guy who alone charges ten cultists? Haha, you're DED!
Same as the cultist who alone tries to destroy stormwind.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Thorvald wrote:I really hate necroposting but I have found a question that bothers me and I found it better to bring this subject back up again then creating a new topic about the same thing.

Good characters being just as open to it as bad ones is my viewpoint, and the reason why I believe it essential that anyone who serves on the Council should be open to being killed.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:09 pm

It's the golden rule:

Treat others as you would have them treat you.

In my case, that means, as a rule, I will never put your character in a situation that might result in its death, unless given permission by you.

Last edited by Thelos on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next