Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day Z - A zombie survival mod!

+13
Chase - Esou
Gogol
Raenmar
Nithel
Humphry
Mikasa
Salketh
Kettin
Velynia
Lavian
Khendran
Lyniath
Vaell
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Day Z - A zombie survival mod! Empty Day Z - A zombie survival mod!

Post by Vaell Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:01 am

I recently came across a game called Day Z which is a Mod for a game I personally can't stand, Arma II. To my delight, it is incredibly fun. It is a proper zombie survival game where the player must find food, water and ammo supplies to survive. The map is INCREDIBLY big. I'm talking like 20 Skyrims! You die, you must make a new character. Players can kill you but if they kill players too often, they'll be known as a bandit AKA a player killer so not trustworthy. So your best bet is to team up.

Just some gameplay. ^

Now I'm not saying the combat is very good, it average at best. It is the survival aspect. It is what I originally wanted and hoped Left 4 Dead would be. Scary, survival zombie game! Right now I'm inside a hospital having my friend eaten alive outside whilst I hide in a sheltered room. It is night time outside and runs off real time, so I'm pretty buggered.

Put it this way, my first go at the game involved me spawning outside a town - venturing in and gunning down a few zombies, almost wasting all of my ammo. I ran up a hill where a player runs at me and tells me to shutup and follow him if I want to live - true terminator style. We run up the road for a while, I cover him as he checks his map, till we come to a crossing to a small group of houses. He turns to me and tells me that we have to keep prone near the zombies, or else we'll be surrounded. I clearly don't argue and follow his lead. This is a french server - don't worry, there are loads of servers and those closest to you shouldn't lag - and so I get a lag spike. I look around after a few seconds of it and ask him where he is only for him to shout down chat "I'm getting chased by Zombies!" Needless to say, I shit a brick and lean up only to hear a gunshot and plenty of zombies running into a barn where the gunshots come from. Then it goes silent and I head into the barn, with my gun aimed, expecting his corpse... Only to be pleasantly surprised to see him surrounded by 7 dead zombie corpses whilst he bandages his wounds and tells me we need to keep moving. Further up the road he stops and tells me to be quiet. When I shit myself, you see, I like to talk. He asked if I heard a helicopter. Helicopter? I replied. Suddenly I hear the faint sound of it coming towards us. Then out of nowhere, through the treeline to our left, a hail of gunfire. My mentor turns to me and shouts "RUN!" Now, when a total badass, Bear Grylls, Zombie killing, Rick Grimes reincarnation tells you to run, you better Forrest Gump the shit out of that field next to you. Gunfire all around us and suddenly, I see my companion drop to the ground dead in the flood of bullets. I dive and go prone next to a tree. A couple of minutes pass of me repeating various terms for my rectal waste when suddenly I hear down the microphone - translated accurately - "MALA TU MA CA HAHA!" as a rocket zooms straight into my face and sends me flying to a traumatic death.

HOWEVER, back on the game as a whole, the most annoying thing is getting it set up. Check it out on the website and see if you like it first. It takes a LOT to get the mod working and can be a bunch of hastle. It is worth the money and worth the effort, but can cause a fair amount of fustration.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Day Z - A zombie survival mod! Empty Re: Day Z - A zombie survival mod!

Post by Lyniath Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:03 am

Sounds epic...
But I don't own ARMA II :<
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:05 am

Nor did I! I bought it just for this. Also, for anyone interested...
http://www.dayzmod.com/

EDIT: As a side note, so many people have bought Arma II specifically for this mod that the developers have said in Arma III they will be developing their own version of it with the lead designer of the mod as the head of the creation team.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 am

Lyniath wrote:Sounds epic...
But I don't own ARMA II :<
And unless you've upgraded your computer, I don't really recommend getting it either. As it's a combat simulator first, a 3rd Person/First Person Shooter second, it does have rather hefty requirements on hardware.

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:06 am

Oh so it's finally out? I saw a clip when it was in development. Seemed pretty interesting.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:39 am

I watched that video last night and it looked like so much how zombie games should be. Shame about it being a mod for a game I can't buy. (financial constraints, mid-range laptop)
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Despite being "Okay" with computers I am not sure about this. Is there anything you can think of which will prevent this working if I buy ArmaII on steam?

Back to top Go down

Post by Velynia Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:02 am

I may be purchasing Arma II specifically for this. As Krobazan said, any issues if you get it on Steam?
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet
Name: Velynia Du Monteforde
Title: Grand Occultist

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:06 am

I think I will getting the game just for this mod. Want to play with you guys on it. This is what I always wanted from a zombie game <3 ty for link
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet
Name: Kettin Bilewood
Title: High Executor - Forsaken Military

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:52 am

I came across another video, a Roosterteeth playing of it, and it showed something the other video didnt;
How goddamn terrifying night time is.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Velynia Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:04 am

I spawned on a deserted beach at nighttime, with a handgun and some basic supplies. After wandering for a bit, sticking close to the shadows to hide from passing players and zombies, I eventually found what I think was a farmhouse. However, it had about five zombies around it. I managed to creep up to the door and get in, however there was a zombie inside. I killed him fairly easily, but the gunshots alerted the five outside, and, erm, yeah.
And indeed, night-time is scary :<
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Salketh Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:07 am

How FAST do those zombies run! Quite a good looking mod, even if it does seem basic it has an interesting charm.
Salketh
Salketh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Sorry, yeah there can be issues, but all are fixable. Luckily the forum is useful for the game and there is a useful video on the website giving you a step by step guide to the installation.

Last time I logged on, I shot a guy for his AK, then got shot by a sniper. I crawled into a room and hid. I may play some later Razz
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Velynia Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:03 pm

My last game was a little bit more productive that my first. I again, spawned on a beach in night-time, however with a flashlight and gun! I scoured the coast, eventually finding some kind of fishing cabin, which I scrounged for cans of beans. However, I did run into about five zombies, who, in what looked like a scene from a horror film, chased me out of of a forest and across a large field. Eventually, I saw some kind of flare in the distance. With the Zombies shooting me, it was my only hope. I managed to get to the flare's location, with the zombies tailing me. To my relief, there was a guy standing in the clearing, looking quite kitted out. He killed the zombies for me, so I took his as friendly. He then shot me.
I suppose he was using the flares as a lure xD
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:12 am

Rule 1 of DayZ: Trust noone.
Rule 2 of DayZ: Trust NOONE!
Rule 3 of DayZ: Kill first, ask later.

Also, Vel, what version you running? Version 1.7.1, patch 93825? If so, and you got it on Steam, what program do you use?
I've been having a ton of problems with getting the latest patch working >.<
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet
Name: Mikasa Angelos
Title: Retlol God

Back to top Go down

Post by Velynia Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:21 am

Mikasa wrote:Rule 1 of DayZ: Trust noone.
Rule 2 of DayZ: Trust NOONE!
Rule 3 of DayZ: Kill first, ask later.

Also, Vel, what version you running? Version 1.7.1, patch 93825? If so, and you got it on Steam, what program do you use?
I've been having a ton of problems with getting the latest patch working >.<

Mhm, I'm using the version you specified. I do have it on steam. I'm a bit confused on what you mean by 'What program do you use'. I use the Sixlauncher downloaded from the DayZ website to open it. What kind of problems, by the way?
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 am

Because there are several ways to install DayZ, and many different programs. The Launcher being the most used. I used Worrom at some point, which didn't go all that well!
That's what I meant by program.
And since I'm tired of this bugging out, did you follow; http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2421 that guide, or did you just click on a server, click 'Install' and get going?
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Velynia Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:39 am

I just ran the launcher, clicked on a server and installed. Somehow works for me.
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 am

Hmph.. Managed to get it to work, after a lot of flipping around and doing shiny stuff. BUT IT WORKS!

I am also having the worst best luck in the game.
I've found a tent, which is a rare item. I've found revolvers, AKM, Lee Enfield, LMG Ammo, Compass, Watch and other things.
BUT I CAN'T FIND ANY WATER OR FOOD! I've searched two town + more, nothing, zip, nada. :<
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:09 am

I want this game already if money wasn't so tight right now x.x
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:02 am

Found a fellow survivor today! First person I've met that didn't want to kill me.
Was great going through Elektro with him, finding all kind of thingy things :3
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Velynia Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Mikasa wrote:Found a fellow survivor today! First person I've met that didn't want to kill me.
Was great going through Elektro with him, finding all kind of thingy things :3

Most descriptive phrase EU.
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Velynia wrote:

Most descriptive phrase EU.

Thingy things! Weapons, bags, blood, medicin things, food, water, ammo.. Thingy things!
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 am

How did I not see this thread sooner! I've been playing it for a few days now, got ArmA 2 off steam just before the patch that seemed to break everything. But patch 1.7.1.5 that came out yesterday seems to have done a good job of fixing everything.

For those who don't have the spare £25 for combined ops, you can just purchase Operation Arrowhead and run it with the free version of ArmA 2 Steam does (you get it as the ArmA 2 Demo). You lack the HD textures which I'm sad to say make a big difference (my textures look like crap atm) and you lack the main campaign of ArmA 2, but you can play DayZ and save £10.

So far loving it, the atmosphere is amazing, esp when played at night. And those bloody monkey zombies scare the crap out of me every time they come close!
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 am

Should group up at some point!

And not be a mean group who kills everyone :<
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next