Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[poll] Debate - Trollbane?

+26
Bradley
Yarnaat
Kozgugore Feraleye
Vashnarz Talonslayer
Velynia
Morgaan
Fortesgue
Lavian
Valerias
Lexgrad
Shaelyssa
Ishap/Virock
Skarain
Eodain
Braiden
Sullee Swiftspeech
Muzjhath
Rmuffn
erwtenpeller
Amaryl
Morinth
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Ron Sexton
Ledgic
Zhakiri
Krogon Devilstep
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Remain Trollbane, or become Lionmane?

[poll] Debate - Trollbane? Vote_lcap48%[poll] Debate - Trollbane? Vote_rcap 48% 
[ 32 ]
[poll] Debate - Trollbane? Vote_lcap52%[poll] Debate - Trollbane? Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 34 ]

Total Votes : 66

[poll] Debate - Trollbane? Empty [poll] Debate - Trollbane?

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:40 am

This is a subject thats been erking me for a while now, and before the thought crosses anyones mind, it is very much my fault without a doubt.

My character Seiken, is 'Supposedly' a Trollbane. A distant cousin of Danath, but he uses the name Trollbane all the same. Now this supposedly Taboo, to relate yourself to a lore character in game. Yet seven years ago, i did just that. Why, probably becuase i was feeling impetious and was rather new to roleplay, and had a deep love for all things Stromgarde.

Of late i've been getting whispers from people unfamiliar with my character (be it they have never met me, or are new to the server) questioning my use of the name, stating the Taboo Factor and sometimes even being quite aggressive over the matter. Whats more, in past i've been mocked for it, and quite rightly, By Fellow members of the community.

Now, some would claim That by using the name i've created massive amounts of RP on both a small and Enormous scale that has often had immense knock on effects to Roleplay plots for many years on the server, earning the use of the name with all the world-pvp i've organised. Others would debate i've been riding on a name and reputation i havent earnt at all, using it to Sway things in my favour either IC or ooc.

When i did first make Seiken i did have a long discussion with the Founding GM of the shining strand, Zylo. And i made one clear, absolute and certian promise. Seiken would -NEVER- claim to be a king, or undisputed ruler of stromgarde in Danath's place. And to that promise i have kept for seven long years. Now i cant speak for others, but that promise could of debatably been broken by others... perhaps, perhaps not. but its a Line i' just cant cross, it'd take overwhelming server support for the idea (and zylo to agree, becuase i'm sentimental that way). But i digress, the subject of royalty has been a source of drama over the years and one i should of more deeply considered.

Anyway i'l get to the point. I'm considering Having seiken Lay down his Last name and any right to it, No longer being a Trollbane, and taking up a new last name, likely "Lionmane", or some such. this would nulify completely any claim he had to the throne, reduce him to a Lord (of his fathers rightful lands) and clear my erked and dirty concience.

Or the other option is stick with it, Stay Seiken Trollbane and keep with our servers vast and individual lore.

I'm be putting up a poll to get an indication, just pick a name.

Otherwise, i need the community's thoughts on the matter. i'm really quite lost.

thanks for reading o/
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

[poll] Debate - Trollbane? Empty Re: [poll] Debate - Trollbane?

Post by Zhakiri Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 pm

I think I can speak for the majority of the Arathorian RPers on the Server when I say that using the name Trollbane, was never, a good idea. Yet something that was simply done and thus followed like a server tradition or somesuch.

Personally I feel that the answer to the question. "Should I ditch Trollbane and rename myself ICly?", is an absolute yes because of the reasons mentioned thus far. Yet this is an OOC decision, on OOC grounds because of OOC reasons.

My main gripe is bringing forth a true IC reason for this to occur, perhaps rumours of Danath's return shakes you to symbolically revere him by doing so or something else equally as sensible. I just feel that at the end of the day, it would be out of the blue and unnecessary, and rather out of Seiken's character, to rename himself without due reasoning.

This aside, I'm voting for Lionsmane. Yet I think that name should be reconsidered ;P
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm

To be honest, even if I didn't believe you'd earned the title in the beginning, subsequent RP made me pretty acceptant of your use of the name. However, what followed that is simply what urked me.

Do I think you should lose the name Trollbane? No.

Do I think other people should have also taken up the name? No.

It's up to you in the end, but I've never thought it was you that should drop it.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Sexton Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Everyone should drop it. And by everyone you know who I am talking about. I personally dislike the whole idea of claiming/using such a major NPC's surname.
Ron Sexton
Ron Sexton

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:14 pm

Personally feel when creating a character it shouldn't be born a 'more important' character than anyone elses from day one. Now characters can gain power, friends, wealth and so on through IC means but something like being related to the King of Strom or any other NPC for that matter just goes against what I believe in on the matter of roleplay. The world of NPC power and lore should never come into our roleplay. You're a nice guy and a sound roleplayer so I never mentioned it to you but when I saw it on the noble family line topic a few weeks back it really did shock me. I now hear this name was passed onto others and they used to it gain power of some sort? A title such a Trollbane someone shouldn't even be able to earn. Of all NPC's to be related to, why a king? Why associate yourself with any NPC? It's quite clear. To gain a reaction and become 'lolfamous'. The fact that you got away with breaking such a beginner level roleplay rule I hear it just got out of hand and you passed the name onto others too and they used it for their own personal gain?

Just my thoughts, nothing against you Seiken, just this choice.

Edit: But you should take the opinion of other Arathorian roleplayers higher than ours. They are the ones that it directly effects the roleplay of if in any way. The one time a month Aldric would ever see Seiken he'd still treat Seiken with respect regardless of his name.

Last edited by Helmfrid on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:21 pm

I always thought it was weird that other people DIDN'T have the same surname... It's a vast world. There's gonna be more than one line of Windrunners, or Trollbanes, or whatever else name happens to be used by an NPC.

Being distantly related isn't that farfetched either. But alas, people QQ too much. I'd change it myself just to stop people being dicks about it. Sad But then you'd need a proper IC method of doing it as well.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Well as much as i've always found it Lolish, and as I've mentioned it before. As well as the 3 other generations that have come from your loins in a five year period...

Changing it now would be adequately silly since to most rpers you are Seiken Trollbane. And making another 180 turn, wouldn't help that much...

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:04 pm

Amaryl wrote:Well as much as i've always found it Lolish, and as I've mentioned it before. As well as the 3 other generations that have come from your loins in a five year period...

Changing it now would be adequately silly since to most rpers you are Seiken Trollbane. And making another 180 turn, wouldn't help that much...

Yeah... a great grandfather in 5 years, I very literally had no word on that.

My original agreement when i allowed saihna to RP seikens daughter was with her, then i went and joined the navy mid 2008 thinking i'd never play again. When i did come back around a year later in 2009, Seiken had grand-children and a great grand child on the way, some how.

i wont and cant judge, but much of the Stigma has evolved from events beyond my control. And we also had a monarch, again, not something i had a say in.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:45 pm

Lionmane causes less of a hussle, therefore I would choose that. I wouldn't feel inclined to have to explain why my character is named a certain way time and time again; it's just not worth it xD
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 pm

I won't read all posts but.

It's bit late to change who you are, keep on rolling and be proud of what you've created. You've had that name long enough to earn it.

I mean why did you endure all the mocking in the past just to give up now?
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Faralan wrote:I won't read all posts but.

It's bit late to change who you are, keep on rolling and be proud of what you've created. You've had that name long enough to earn it.

Arrogance, mostly.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Are you saying you're running out of arrogance Krogon?

Son, I am dissapoint!
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Seiken wrote:
Faralan wrote:I won't read all posts but.

Arrogance, mostly.

Considering how many people are arrogant in this community I see no harm in dropping that now. ;p
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sullee Swiftspeech Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 pm

They're both shitty names.
Rename yourself Swiftspeech!
Sullee Swiftspeech
Sullee Swiftspeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Sullee Swiftspeech wrote:They're both shitty names.
Rename yourself Swiftspeech!

Why didnt i think of that before-- wait a minute...
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:27 pm

As another person that thought it would be intresting to have ties to NPCs I'm for changing it. Despite mine being minor I would likely not have done it if I could redo it. Never the less it has become my characters identity and I just about never get comments on it these days... consider if it's worth it for you or not anymore, Trollbane is a big deal after all.
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 pm

You don't need the name to arrange wpvp/huge roleplay plots. Seperate from it id say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eodain Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:36 pm

I don't mind to be honest, by the sound of it you've earned the name and besides, I think it gives some life to an otherwise-static monarchy... Not to say I condone everyone suddenly being royals. xD
Eodain
Eodain

Character sheet
Name: Eodain Ashdown
Title: Lieutenant of the 157th Company "Wild Tempest"

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:45 pm

I haven't been on this server for that long, but i see no reason why it would be impossible. A random.....child of Jaina Proudmore would be like "Yeah.....*facepalm*" at start but if you play that character long enough. If you make a place in world, play your role well and politely explaining the name and the story behind for for everyone who asks...

Go for it, Mr. Trollbane

Last edited by Skarain on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Seiken wrote:
Amaryl wrote:Well as much as i've always found it Lolish, and as I've mentioned it before. As well as the 3 other generations that have come from your loins in a five year period...

My original agreement when i allowed saihna to RP seikens daughter was with her, then i went and joined the navy mid 2008 thinking i'd never play again. When i did come back around a year later in 2009, Seiken had grand-children and a great grand child on the way, some how.

i wont and cant judge, but much of the Stigma has evolved from events beyond my control. And we also had a monarch, again, not something i had a say in.

don't worry i'm not blaming you for being a great grand dad, it was just amusing, and another 180 turn on your record is something you can handle, but i'd rather have you be trollbane then having seiken come out and say, oh btw all the trollbane and distant cousin to danath thing? Lol fooled you! i'm actually Lionsbane! but back then i needed a name to raise forces and slam some trolls and orcs to the ground....

*Amy does a Seiken*

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Amaryl wrote:
Seiken wrote:

don't worry i'm not blaming you for being a great grand dad, it was just amusing, and another 180 turn on your record is something you can handle, but i'd rather have you be trollbane then having seiken come out and say, oh btw all the trollbane and distant cousin to danath thing? Lol fooled you! i'm actually Lionsbane! but back then i needed a name to raise forces and slam some trolls and orcs to the ground....

*Amy does a Seiken*

i was more thinking he just officially changes his name... :p 'was' trollbane, 'now is' Lionsmane. etc.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Well...

how many people already think you're an arrogant baffoon ICly?

"what Trollbane isn't good enough for you mister former marshal?!!!"

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Amaryl wrote:Well...

how many people already think you're an arrogant baffoon ICly?

"what Trollbane isn't good enough for you mister former marshal?!!!"

so charming D:
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:57 pm

I know Very Happy

i'm just saying all this change will do is that less new people whisper you oocly.

If that's worth it, go for it. Otherwise just keep it like it is.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:22 pm

Also, we need our lolbane! =D
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next