Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victoria 2

+12
Kettin
Muzjhath
Dharum
Lorainne/Bridlington
Rasonal Dranger
Halya
Melnerag
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ephitos
Jomir
Mikasa
Antistia
16 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Victoria 2 Empty Victoria 2

Post by Antistia Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am

Seeing as Victoria 2 is a rather popular game on this forum, I've decided to open an extra thread about it. Mostly so we don't essentially take over the "Other Game Thread". Essentially this thread ought to be used to discuss strategies, suggest nations, explain concepts etc as there are a lot of games that are easier to master than Victoria 2.

First though, three sites that come in handy when searching for things about Victoria 2:
http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Main_Page
http://www.victoria2.com/
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?443-Victoria-2

Alright, so I was playing as the United States lately. At first I was a rather peaceful power, now I'm expanding somewhat, adding nations to my SoI by force of arms, I recently annexed Hawaii and all that. But at around 1866.. I think, my industry was still, ehm, horrendous. I was just above 200. Now there are around 10 factories being build in the States but still.

So, I was thinking. I came up with the idea that my research ought to be lagging behind, so I'm now trying to figure out the best way to increase the speed of my research. This isn't meant to be an idea for the US specifically, mind you, but just an idea of how to get a good infrastructure for research in your country.
Now, I personally think that for an optimal research you ought to use your national focuses to get your clergy in all your states up to 2%, research some culture techs (Philosophy path and the political thought path. One from Philosophy and 2 from Political Thought to increase plurality and national focuses). This ought to give you an advantage for industrialization too, no? Thoughts/ideas/criticism?
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Victoria 2 Empty Re: Victoria 2

Post by Antistia Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Also: motherfucking rebels, I send a rather large expeditionary force into Egypt to make sure my Suez channel doesn't get surrounded by Ottoman provinces... About 60thousand men there and what happens: Half the continental United States rises up in revolt, first Jacobins and then Anarcho Liberals.. God damn it. And I'd like to get some interventionist economic policies again Sad
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:21 pm

You really should try the Mod I linked in the other thread. It really does something to the rebels and other good things, so it's not just 'REBELS REBELS REBELS REBELS ARHGRAHGRHRAHRHG!' everywhere, all the time!
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet
Name: Mikasa Angelos
Title: Retlol God

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Would I still be able to continue my savegame if I did that? Also, the Brits have an army in Canada that is just scaring me shitless, seriously.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:16 pm

You should be able to. But as a good idea, back up all your V2 files before replacing them, 'cause I'm not 100% sure. And G.B. has an army everywhere that can scare everyone D:
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet
Name: Mikasa Angelos
Title: Retlol God

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Mikasa wrote:You should be able to. But as a good idea, back up all your V2 files before replacing them, 'cause I'm not 100% sure. And G.B. has an army everywhere that can scare everyone D:

They seriously do, I can bank on my navy though. It may be much smaller but by god it is top of the line and experienced... It could buy me time in any eventual war, that is, if I don't get caught off guard.

And I'll wait with modding for a while then, I'm really enjoying this US game.. And the democrats are back in power too Very Happy now I can subsidize my factories again, close em and reopen em Very Happy
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:57 am

I angered the sleeping giant by picking on too many defenceless african countries and with those scary British armies just over my Belgian-Africa border when they declared war on me I just quit..

Now I'm playing as the Two Sicilies and my goal to unite Italy is.... Not going well.. I've got a few of the states in my sphere but the rest are in France and Austria's which is such a pain in the ass. And then to make things worse those damn Ottomans decided to annex part of the Papal states >.<
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Jomir/Nastor/Gannas wrote:I angered the sleeping giant by picking on too many defenceless african countries and with those scary British armies just over my Belgian-Africa border when they declared war on me I just quit..

Usually you can simply accept their demands, it diminishes your power a lot.

Oh, and you guys know the US and the Vietnam war? Well.. Yeah, about that. It's 1900 and I've been waging war in Vietnam for around 2-4 years now. China emerged as a great power and I decided that they needed to be surrounded by my allies. I had Japan in my SoI already, I added Korea through influence and I decided to add that Vietnam nation through war. Bad choice. Note that the south of Vietnam was already an American territory.

War was going for about a month or so when I noticed a second flag in the menu.. It was a Chinese flag. I was fighting a war with China and I had just 30-40k troops in Vietnam. Fast forward 2-4 years. A battle was just won where 120k American troops fought 500k Vietnamese/Chinese troops. An American soldier is worth about 5 Chinese/Vietnamese troops. Winning that battle finally allowed me to break the back of the Chinese effort in Vietnam as they're not fully committed to the front in Vietnam. (they're guarding their coasts provinces a lot.. With good reason)
Another annoying fact is that Luang Prabang gave the Chinese and Vietnamese military access so I'm having to deal with my own version of the god damn Ho Chi Minh trail. There's a tiny province near South Vietnam belonging to Luang Prabang and there's a Chinese army in it which constantly moves in the moment my troops leave the area so I'm forced to keep 20k soldiers down south.

I'm also ferrying in a lot of reinforcements, in the past 6 months I think I have ferried in 50k troops to support the war in Vietnam (When I noticed that stack of death I fucking flipped and thought the war was lost)

I've also blockaded the ENTIRE Chinese coasts, I've in the past annihilated their entire fleet (which they have more than rebuilt by now but they can't use it due to pesky Cruisers outside of their provinces). I'm hoping that will kill the Chinese financially but I don't think it will, at least it will keep them from landing troops behind my lines, or horror of horrors, invade my island colonies which I'm using as a main base for waging war in Asia. (I decided to take a slightly adapted historical strategy from the US in the Cold War, essentially I have a defensive perimeter around the islands by virtue of my fleet and my troops gather on the islands, the difference is that I won't commit to a defense of Korea).

Did I also mention that I am losing 400-1000 $ a day? And that the Jacobins have risen up 2 times, the Communists 2 times, the Reactionaries one time, and the Anarcho liberals 2 times? All in all, I'm having an awesome session.

Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ephitos Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:18 pm

You bitch!
Red China has crushed you xD
Ephitos
Ephitos

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

I decided to try out Prussia and uniting it into Germany.

Turns out I started turning it fascist Nazi Germany instead, and for some reason I can't stop xD
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Bennedict wrote:I decided to try out Prussia and uniting it into Germany.

Turns out I started turning it fascist Nazi Germany instead, and for some reason I can't stop xD

This befalls all the players of Germany I'm afraid. Razz I'm speaking from experience haha.

Once I get back to the Netherlands I'm gonna see about restoring the.. Wait for it... Just a little longer, yes a little longer, am I annoying you yet? I think I might, but I intend to restore the Roman empire once I united Italy, or restore as much of it as I can.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Uniting Italy is proving more difficult than I had imagined.. Ah well, I rule much of Egypt, Tunis, and Algeria. Sardinia Piedmont is constantly escaping my grasp.. I was 2 points removed from getting them out of France's SoI when my advisors got expelled Sad

Hints?
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 pm

People... Russia's potential is just sick. I'm playing a game as them and it's 1847. I'm #1 industry wise, 2 militarily and 2 in prestige. China has the most military points and GB has the most prestige.

In other news, in my view my game world is divided in two factions essentially with (again, in my mind) a cold war going on between primarily me and GB.

My allies are China (in my SoI), Sweden (GP), Afghanistan (SoI), Siam (SoI), Austria (GP) and the US (SoI). GB has Belgium, Prussia, the ottoman empire and the usual minors as allies.. + a few which I probably missed. A war could be absolutely devastating for both sides... Anyone else have something happen like this?
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:34 pm

Victoria 2 is awesome!

Played as Persia, Prussia and Yemen so far. Still working out a way to liberate and unify India, but United Kingdom is just OP.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:45 am

Exaythe wrote:Victoria 2 is awesome!

Played as Persia, Prussia and Yemen so far. Still working out a way to liberate and unify India, but United Kingdom is just OP.

Trying to unify India as Panjab, I presume?
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Thu May 19, 2011 2:43 pm

This game is oooosssuuuum!!!!
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Thu May 19, 2011 3:16 pm

In answer to your original question Anti - the best way to get research points in the Americas is actually to seriously abuse immigration. You want to drain the European middle classes dry, accumulate literate Irishmen, Frenchies, etc, etc. Push for political reforms by keeping liberals in power as much as possible, tax 0% on the rich strata and encourage capitalists in your most populous states. Capitalists fix everything for industrialisation, and those middle classes you stole from Europe will turn in to clerks over time - which is research points.

And yes, get the plurality and + research techs. If you have enough states with 1-2% capitalist presence, start investing in clergymen too.
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Oh yeah, will upload this, some game I finished few weeks ago, my first game. I had some mistakes through and through... but...

Victoria 2 Img25072011165930

I reached this without any colonisations, well except Suez and Panama. I had Denmark under my SoI quite early, and the only ally I allways had with me- later on got Sweden. That piece of land above sweden that I own? I forced sweden to give it to britian so the war will be over with, but after I finally managed to beat everything out of Britian, I got that too.

Also- France and Russia allways had an alliance attacking me, I barely managed out of it every time, one of the last times- I managed to seperate france from russia by forcing france into White peace, Russia went on- forced russia to disarm, then did it again- revolution, and I kept ensuring from there on it won't threat me, army wise and technology wise.

Same with france- I took few lands out of france too, because they looked interesting. And Italy was splited between me and Denmark my faithful ally as you can see..

Was a fun game, didn't manage alot- but getting britian was real fun, smashing their annoying navy and invading it until it finally surendered all it's lands to me. Was a long tiresome war, but I had very stable Economy that survived through, Britian's didn't. Also, I forced USA to free Texas and CSA, it started to be too strong, broke the Alliance with me and decreased the Relationship- had to make the first move!
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:11 am

Om nom nom!

Britannia!
A -very- old screenshot, taken before the third patch, I believe.
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Starting a game as France right now!
Goal: Rebuild the First French Empire.

What of the community? Any Victoria II fans here?
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Game is awesome Very Happy
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharum Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:19 pm

This is what I play.

Everyday, more than WoW actually.

:3

I recommend the POP Demand mod for everyone though, makes the game about 150% better.
Dharum
Dharum

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I'm sitting "Should I get V2 or EU3 first when I have money to spend?"
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:24 pm

What is this POP Demand mod you speak of, mister Dharum?

EDIT:

Silly me.

Last edited by Tsurana/Lorainne on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:25 pm

I'm very tempted to try this.
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet