Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are warlocks....

+12
Darilas
Jomir
Raelan
Morgeth
Zinkle Figgins
Kristeas Sunbinder
Unathi
Antistia
Lavian
Gesh
Gahalla
avaiel
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are warlocks.... Empty Are warlocks....

Post by avaiel Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Generally accepted or shunned In-character? on one hand warlocks seem to be fairly open about thier practice but on the other hand demons and what have you are shunned in the lore and practising dark magic with demons as its primary focus seems to be a very bad thing in the general view?

On my warlock I just finished a quest where you have to dupe a stormwind noble to prevent him in exposing the warlock's den in the cellar of The Slaughtered Lamb, which would mean that in-character or at least lorewise, the general body of nobles and guards are unaware of the warlocks and their dealings?

So I guess my question is: Should role-playing a warlock be role-played obvious or should it be role-played as something your character should try to keep secret?
Oh and for a bonus question: Do you think based on the above that practising demonology or shadow magic is outlawed / forbidden, and why/why don't you think so.
avaiel
avaiel

Back to top Go down

Are warlocks.... Empty Re: Are warlocks....

Post by Gahalla Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:02 pm

It's not entirely clear wether it's the practise of fel-magic and demonology or just teaching it which is illegal (the warlock coven does both though, so it needs to remain secret either way).

But practising it will, if not illegal, definantely make you a pariah that can expect to be banned from public places, openly persecuted and shut out from normal society.

I'm inclined to say the practise in entirety should be illegal though. That's what I prefer either way (and yes, I do roleplay a warlock), keeping it secret should be crucial and a big point in warlock roleplay. The only place where I can remotely imagine warlocks being almost tolerated would be on Northrend's front lines and similar, where the warlocks aren't expected to live for long anyways.

I also imagine that the Night elves, the Draenei and the dwarves would punish the practise more harshly than humans would (but humanity would still be harsh). The gnomes stand out a bit in that they haven't banned it legally (it seems that the warlock coven in Ironforge moved there from gnomeregan and complain that they're not allowed to operate in the open anymore).
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Run down racially.
Humans: Disapprove, illegal, banned. Inprisonment or execution depending on level of use.
Night elves: Executed on sight.
Draenei: Executed on sight.
Dwarf: Similar to Human, but considerably harsher.
Gnomes: Not welcoming, but allow it to a degree, with restrictions.
The Horde
Tauren: Escourted out of lands, disapproved of, arrested.
Troll: Not entirely sure here? Similar to gnomes?
Orcs: A time and a place for it, casting in the Cleft of shadow, okay. In the Valley of honour? Expect axe in forehead.
Blood elf and Forsaken: Consider them on equal terms with mages.
So yes, I do believe if your roleplaying a warlock on Alliance. You take measures to cloak your use of it, or don't do any of it within city/town walls. 
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:17 pm

Putting my input as a veteran warlock RPer;

First the way it was when I was "Melfeena" [Long before Ireth came into public play]. I can't entirly remember how it all started as this was back in 2005 however I did do a lolrp approach to starting it first of all. Melfeena was the girl who believed demons could be nice if treated right[I know I know. I fucking matured since then.] and well as it went on I developed from there learning a few things:

Lore-wise I am with Gahalla on this to the part I am not sure if all or just some aspects are illegal to teach or not. Warlock RP'ers have been going about this concept in different ways. I myeslf when I was Melfeena didn't blurt out her witch ways (I prefer to say witch when referring to a female warlock) yet she did not hide it either. Alot of close people knew and I made it a golden rule to never use fel-magic in city walls nor even demon summoning unless in small dosages and out of public eyes[She wasn't an angel].

The reactions were different. Some accepted her, some scorned her. Some people go all loathing of our kind, some just accept it. It's odd because I don't know, just that people behind the screens dont have first hand experience with such for as you know. There are not such beings in the real world[I hope].

My general opinion is that they shouldn't go flashing all their spells around and keep to themselves within city walls. Nor should they go yapping what they are to everyone and their mothers. Yet at the same time I feel as if not everyone treats warlocks as feared as they should be. Yet that may be because of how many facepalming warlock rp'ers I have seen that people just get accustomed and use to it.

In the end I just say shoot anyone that openly goes flashy fel-mode and yaps about being a witch/warlock in public. Heck arrest anyone on sight for even using fel/demonology who gets spotted on the spot. Even if it's little. My general rule of thumb is don't even cast such spells ICly in the cities public.

I know for certain my current warlock would ICly be cut down on sight for even being around stormwind.

TLDR: Be discreet. Don't be public and don't freaking publicly cast either.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Just remeber, if you feel like some shit head guard roleplayer is magically aware of what you are by the class and race tab on their screen, Don't be afraid to put them in their place. Nothing more annoying then some almighty guy who is for some UNKNOWN REASON knows exactly what you are and is uber sensiable.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 pm

And that.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Something which ought to be remembered in this whole discussion as well is that your warlock mount is a demon and it just screams "I'M A WARLOCK, KILL ME." best to roll on your normal racial mount, or any other mount for that reason, than the warlock mounts.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by avaiel Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Edervic/Vectoria wrote:Just remeber, if you feel like some shit head guard roleplayer is magically aware of what you are by the class and race tab on their screen, Don't be afraid to put them in their place. Nothing more annoying then some almighty guy who is for some UNKNOWN REASON knows exactly what you are and is uber sensiable.

My character isn't a warlock in-character... yet Smile

I'm going for a slowly get corrupted approach, cliché? Maybe, but fun nevertheless Very Happy

Also; A different question. What sort of "limitations" would there be to a warlocks "power" in-characterly. Both regarding how they can interact and affect other players but also how they can affect themselves?

Can a warlock bargain away their soul to a demon for some reward which is only governed by creativity and of course common sense, so it's not like - "I am now an almighty titan with the one weakness that I do not cry for I have no soul"

I guess what I'm asking is, whether a warlock is free to do some creative role-play when their dabbling in the demonic only affects their person, and how far you could take their "power" when interacting with other people.

Antistia wrote:Something which ought to be remembered in this whole discussion as well is that your warlock mount is a demon and it just screams "I'M A WARLOCK, KILL ME." best to roll on your normal racial mount, or any other mount for that reason, than the warlock mounts.
Riding around on an ordinary brown horse Smile
avaiel
avaiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:53 pm

avaiel wrote:

Also; A different question. What sort of "limitations" would there be to a warlocks "power" in-characterly. Both regarding how they can interact and affect other players but also how they can affect themselves?

Can a warlock bargain away their soul to a demon for some reward which is only governed by creativity and of course common sense, so it's not like - "I am now an almighty titan with the one weakness that I do not cry for I have no soul"

I guess what I'm asking is, whether a warlock is free to do some creative role-play when their dabbling in the demonic only affects their person, and how far you could take their "power" when interacting with other people.

I think this can be done yes, but is is something to be careful in using. I'd say that it's always best to gauge what the people you're roleplaying with now think and then use it if they approve and avoid it of they don't.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm going for a slowly get corrupted approach, cliché? Maybe, but fun nevertheless Very Happy

Usually how it goes. Wink

In my current warlock RP. Ireth doesn't use a mana bar at all. She lives off one resource; life essence. All her powers and skills are fueled by the life essence of those she drains from other people. And of course soul shards. Her strength is determined off of how much her "Life bar" is in IC terms is filled. So she has to constantly drain mortal life[Sorry gahalla :3]. So to sum it up, how much life she drains acts as her limitations of power. For the standard warlock however I believe the power trip comes off how indulged in fel they are and keeping in mind more fel is more corruption. Yet those who indulge into "power" are not always in control aswell so those limitations can come shorter than what the power would initially allow. Plus it goes into how long your warlock has been in training for. Ireth has gone through 30-40 tormenting years of such. I hope that served as an answer somehow. D:

Yes they can and that is something that has happened numerous times in lore. Yet the demons do not exactly stick to their terms. Smile Your soul would most likely go to eternal damnation.

How far you can go with power depends on the person you RP with. People don't respond well out of the blue if you come forth with an almighty character who is suddenly strong as hell with no backstory or trials to talk of. I had to go through this myself. Alot of RP and plots over the years to build Melfeena's story to her current Ireth phase. And yes the creative role-play works well while dabbling. Afterall you're not the only one dabbling into such. Smile

I hoped that helped somehow.....Sadface.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Edervic/Vectoria wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, post Kael'thas. He was the perfect example of just how much fel magic can corrupt, and that you end up serving demons eventually.
As with the orcs, I'd say that prancing about with demons is heavily frowned upon outside of their little enclave (Murder Row).

Back to top Go down

Post by Unathi Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:15 pm

"I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE!" Twisted Evil
Unathi
Unathi

Character sheet
Name: Unathi
Title: Darkspear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Saali wrote:
Edervic/Vectoria wrote:

I'm not so sure about that, post Kael'thas. He was the perfect example of just how much fel magic can corrupt, and that you end up serving demons eventually.
As with the orcs, I'd say that prancing about with demons is heavily frowned upon outside of their little enclave (Murder Row).
..<draws a diagram, of two stick man, one labeled high elf, the other blood elf, Draws " =/= " between the two>

People may wish to blur the line between those two races, but the diffrence remains the same. Fel green eyes. The Blood elven race considers Fel magic just another source of power, My honest opinion is that the Blood elves blame the legion as an organisation for the curroption of Kael'thas. Not the fel magic they use.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:43 pm

I think blood elves are just a little more shifty eyed when it comes to openly power hungry warlocks. I say openly because every lock is power hungry deep down <3
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:57 pm

Edervic/Vectoria wrote:
Saali wrote:
Edervic/Vectoria wrote:

..<draws a diagram, of two stick man, one labeled high elf, the other blood elf, Draws " =/= " between the two>

People may wish to blur the line between those two races, but the diffrence remains the same. Fel green eyes. The Blood elven race considers Fel magic just another source of power, My honest opinion is that the Blood elves blame the legion as an organisation for the curroption of Kael'thas. Not the fel magic they use.

It's not blurring the lines. It's the blood elves taking a step back and going:

"Oi sports, so this here would-be king of ours promised us paradise, power and glory and took off with a truckload of our guys. Then he captured a Naaru (who we kinda like now) and made it our Blood Knight manabattery, only to take it to the Sunwell a bit later where he nearly succeded in summoning freakin' Kil'Jaeden into our world. Oh, and all those who went with him were either killed, or corrupted to the point of being half demons.
All because our little prince wanted a little more power and began to play with demons".

The belfs of today are not the same as those at the start of TBC, and they're not stupid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Being a criminal I often have to deal with them. They're creepy, but as long as they pay, who cares? Also, we not-so-lawful people must stick together Very Happy

By the way, if I were a warlock I'd keep it secret. I'd even pretend to be a goodie to hide it better, joining the local guards or a religious order, for example.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:15 pm

I think most people are restrictive on allowing warlocks OOCly though Zinkle in such orders.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by avaiel Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

This topic also reminds me: I'm actually looking for some warlocks to role-play with, perhaps as tutors for my character etc. Smile
avaiel
avaiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 pm

I believe I can be of assistance in some form. I've lost count how many have come up and went all "Train me plz"
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by avaiel Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:21 pm

Ovelia "Snow" Adair wrote:I believe I can be of assistance in some form. I've lost count how many have come up and went all "Train me plz"

that would be cool. I've talked to one other person, but so far he's not done much other than just well.. whatever it is he does unrelated to me and my character :3
avaiel
avaiel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Feel free to poke me ingame sometime. Can arrange something.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgeth Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Not sure how interesting the Horde perspective is for you, but to me orc warlocks are tolerated, at best. My character is - I suppose - a bit of a stand-out in the way of being part of a generally "good" Horde guild, and a high ranking member of it. I blame that on IC playing the whole "He's my boyfriend"-card in a good way.

But to be warlock is to be discrete. If you're not discrete enough, with some races, then you are as good as dead.
Morgeth
Morgeth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 pm

I can roleplay with you sometimes if you'd like, my character's just begun developing abilities with fel so he's not too strong, which could provide some interesting Rp with somewhat same-level type abilities.

Offers there =D

Also train me plx =o

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:14 pm

We'll see...And Morgeth should play the "I'm his breeding partner" card more.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Praxan wrote:I can roleplay with you sometimes if you'd like, my character's just begun developing abilities with fel so he's not too strong, which could provide some interesting Rp with somewhat same-level type abilities.

Offers there =D

Also train me plx =o

If you're trained by Ireth, you can kiss your ass goodbye with us *frowns*
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next