Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP!

+13
Mandui
Halya
Gunnell
Jomir
Chase - Esou
Kristeas Sunbinder
Elloa
Cathee Norris
Nayan
Sinnadrin
Dharum
Arinith
Ataris
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Racism within WoW, a crime or not?

[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Vote_lcap10%[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Vote_lcap90%[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Vote_rcap 90% 
[ 28 ]

Total Votes : 31

[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Empty [Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP!

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 pm

I've always wondered what peoples' opinions are on racism in RP, and I mean racism not as in blacks'n'whites OOCly (I don't think you can call black and white people another race. Humans and dogs are different races, but white people and black people are just humans in my opinion.), but as in humans v. elves etc.

Personally I think racism isn't a crime (In Warcraft, mind you!), and is infact overly common within the warcraft universe. We've only had rights for black people for some 50-60 years IRL, imagine in WoW where races are -actually- different races!

Sometimes when you do a lil racism people begin shouting 'Racism! A crime!' or white-knights going crazy! I think racism, between races, should become a bigger deal. Even big enough that other races can never actually gain powerful positions within another races' organisations etc.

And I think there should be ALOT more racism against undead. (DK'S)

So whats all your opinions about racism in WoW?

This is about inter-faction racism, not cross-faction racism. e.g. belves and trolls, humans and nelves, you name it.

Last edited by Aesthetic on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Empty Re: [Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP!

Post by Ataris Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Depends on how far you take it IMO.

A personal level of distaste is one thing. If we're gonna start forming clans that hunt Night Elves because they're purple is another.

I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't go overboard.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Empty Re: [Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP!

Post by Arinith Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:27 pm

If your character has a reason to hate, let it hate. :3

However, the reactions of other characters are also justified. If they get angry because you told them they were a stupid troll, and consequently turn you upside down and take off with all of your money, there we go.

White-knights going crazy, as you said, can also be justifiable. It all depends on the background story. For me, if it is IC, it's all good.

Wink
Arinith
Arinith

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 pm

Aye, of course the person being racisted against would become pissed off, but I'm talking about gathering a crowd of guards that wish to arrest you and people going completly crazy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharum Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 pm

I have had my fair share of racism as a Dark Iron, and I also act very racist towards most other races.

It's fine as long as people don't take it too seriously. I atleast like using my "You just hate me because I'm dark" card Very Happy

Racism and promoting the intrests of your own race can spark great RP and conflicts.
Dharum
Dharum

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Arinith Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 pm

I agree that it should not be taken to seriously.

But then, no RP should. It is a narrow line between just serious enough to care about and too serious so it hurts people, though... In my opinion~
Arinith
Arinith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinnadrin Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Dharum wrote:...promoting the intrests of your own race...
[Discussion] Inter-faction racism in RP! Thats_racist
Sinnadrin
Sinnadrin

Character sheet
Name: Lord Sinnadrin Sunfury
Title: Sun King Aspirant

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:49 pm

...a "crime"? It's the -BASE- of the entire lore >_>

Trolls and Night Elves hate each other since the appearence of Night Elves. Humans and Orcs hate each other. Blood Elves hate Humans for "abandoning them". Humans hate Blood Elves for taking Vashj's help. Trolls and Blood Elves hate each other since their struggle for north Eastern Kingdoms and the Troll Wars. The list goes on forever.

No, racism (IC RACISM, mind you >_> ) and hate are NOT a crime. At all. Quite the opposite, they are defining factors. Doesn't mean people are "wrong" if they don't hate ICly, but it's perfectly fine if they do.
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 pm

Nayan wrote:...a "crime"? It's the -BASE- of the entire lore >_>

Trolls and Night Elves hate each other since the appearence of Night Elves. Humans and Orcs hate each other. Blood Elves hate Humans for "abandoning them". Humans hate Blood Elves for taking Vashj's help. Trolls and Blood Elves hate each other since their struggle for north Eastern Kingdoms and the Troll Wars. The list goes on forever.

No, racism (IC RACISM, mind you >_> ) and hate are NOT a crime. At all. Quite the opposite, they are defining factors. Doesn't mean people are "wrong" if they don't hate ICly, but it's perfectly fine if they do.

Aye. Not everyone agrees though.. I've seen strange things!

"Damn knife-ear."
"RACISM! GUARDS!"
Guard: "Racism!"

Official guard-guilds saying racism is criminal /shakefist!

I think we need more IC racism personally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:38 pm

'Sup, dude why u hatin' on them niggaz?

Anyway, seriously. Why do you think Chapter is human-only?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm

I think everything depends really. On a lot of things.

First of all, it depends on the Lore as Nayan say. It is in the Lore so for it being a crime.. I dont know..

Then again, as we have active Law upholders in some Citys, I think it depends on that too, if they consider it being such.

And then there is the fact of different characters back-story and personal opinions. I mean some characters are made to hate certain races for different reasons.

Then as Ataris said, it isn't really a crime if it is only opinions. Like it is (or SHOULD be, RL). But if it turns into violence then naturally it is a crime.

I don't know, I cant really vote since there are so many factors that make some of the racism right, and some wrong.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Well, we are an alliance. This character respects all parts of that alliance and can not for political reasons even start considering to go (not that this char would) and lash out on Mandui forexample for being a draenei. Of course the lore like Nayan mentions is an important factor. But I think the racism in question here isnt about the blood elf's, trolls etc. But the gnomes, the dwarf's, the Kaldorei and the tails? ^_^ Which offers good rp. But I do doubt Stormwind Laws would tolerate open racism against their fellow alliance members.. Or would they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:01 pm

It's not only Belf/Troll- related. Valgor never had any second thoughts in expressing his intolerance towards other races ^^

(with very few examples that poked his interest rather than contempt - Mando for example, from when they/we had first met)
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:03 pm

I think that racism in Wow is logical, natural and fun to RP.
It's even amazing that we do not RP more with this "racism". Specialy on Horde side. Forsaken and Blood elves should not be so openly friendly tolerated among the "real" Horde wich is teh Tauren, Troll and Orcs.
Trolls should be naturaly more racist aswell towards every others races (depending of what tribe they do come from). Tauren maybe would not be racist, but maybe carefull.
Forsaken should be kinda racist for every race.

Night elves and Draenei can be played quiet racist aswell. Maybe not in the offensive way though, but maybe in a more arrogant way (we live longer, we are wiser)
Human and gnome should be less racist. Human because they have always needed the other race to rescue them, while gnome are curious and eager to discover how are working others races (I guess).

I think also it's fun to RP some character which are extremist. It's not easy indeed. I've played extremely extremist TRrolls (Atal'Aï troll) and it was great fun. I've also try to give a more "nationalistic" touch to a nigh elf only guild were we established some kind of law (for instance no mechanical strider allowed in Ashenvale). I lastly Rped in a Real Horde guild on Sporegar (Thunderwolfs for those who remeber) who was actively against the integration of Forsaken and Blood Elf in Horde.

We should not be affraid to RP racist character, because in no way it mean we are/behave/appreciate racisme in RL.
Elloa
Elloa

Character sheet
Name: Elloa
Title:

http://whitestar.bbactif.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinnadrin Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Indranie wrote:But I do doubt Stormwind Laws would tolerate open racism against their fellow alliance members.. Or would they?
It's always amusing to see people project their cherished XXth Century-originated phrases and concepts into a medieval-based fantasy setting.

Maybe we'll also see the workers of Stormwind striking for higher wages and better social benefits, along with famous Kaldorei chanson-singers protesting against the neverending war.
Sinnadrin
Sinnadrin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Actually. Racism in WoW is not a crime.

Since you speak of 'races'. And I noted a "background-story" thing aswell.

Which brings me to my own character; Vargosh. Due to his history, he hates the humans with pure passion. He hates them for what they did, what they do, how they are and so forth. That makes him a racist.

But it's allowed, since his faction is in war with the humans faction.
Leaders migh have joined the Alliance/Horde, but perhaps not majorities.

Putress; He was not keen on the Horde. He might be one of those who was less in favour of it.

Thing is, in Warcraft, racism has to exist, it's impossible to not.
The king of Stormwind is a Racist, for crying out loud!

Back to top Go down

Post by Elloa Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:27 pm

Sinnadrin wrote: along with famous Kaldorei chanson-singers protesting against the neverending war.

ooh this would be damn freaking fun ! OMG you just give me a super idea !! Very Happy flower
Elloa
Elloa

Character sheet
Name: Elloa
Title:

http://whitestar.bbactif.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm not talking cross-faction racism, I'm talking inter-faction racism.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 pm

I think hordeside racism isn't so much "racism" as it's condescending.
Atleast that's the idea I get when I'm playing with Trolls or Undead, like they know some dirty joke and they try not to tell it.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Sinnadrin wrote:
Indranie wrote:But I do doubt Stormwind Laws would tolerate open racism against their fellow alliance members.. Or would they?
It's always amusing to see people project their cherished XXth Century-originated phrases and concepts into a medieval-based fantasy setting.

Maybe we'll also see the workers of Stormwind striking for higher wages and better social benefits, along with famous Kaldorei chanson-singers protesting against the neverending war.

I'd still think that there are people of power, for example in Stormwind, that try to decrease the amount of racism in order to increase the unity of the races of the Alliance. The average human or dwarf could of course be offended if someone of their race was racist against the other, seeing as they've fought together for so long.

I do agree with you though that sometimes people tend to ignore what was the norm in the medieval times and instead use concepts originated in our modern era. But hell, we're RPing with swords, magic and dragons, why wouldn't we use that opportunity to ignore our daily life even further by acting like people did in the dark ages?!

This said, I don't have a grudge against people motivating and RPing their characters to be racists. Of course, if you're actually gonna act on it and involve other people into this, you'd need their OOC consent first, but that goes for everything.
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:00 pm

I see all this talk about Orcs and Humans, but for all Jomir cares, every Elf should be strapped to a rocket and fired at Icecrown Citadel. That way we can convert Teldrassil into the ultimate hunting grounds, and Ashenvale for Air strike and Siege tank practice.
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinnadrin Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Eledeza wrote:
Sinnadrin wrote: along with famous Kaldorei chanson-singers protesting against the neverending war.

ooh this would be damn freaking fun ! OMG you just give me a super idea !! Very Happy flower
Glad to have been of help, mon chéri.

Jomir wrote:I see all this talk about Orcs and Humans, but for all Jomir cares, every Elf should be strapped to a rocket and fired at Icecrown Citadel. That way we can convert Teldrassil into the ultimate hunting grounds, and Ashenvale for Air strike and Siege tank practice.
I approve, good sir. Cool
Sinnadrin
Sinnadrin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Sinnadrin wrote:I approve, good sir. Cool

Excellent! *Straps Sinnadrin to a rocket* bom
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinnadrin Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Jomir wrote:Excellent! *Straps Sinnadrin to a rocket* bom
I'm not dat kind of Elf.
Sinnadrin
Sinnadrin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:18 pm

To be honest, it can create decent RP but when you find yourself in the same situation with the same repeated insults thrown around it gets dull quickly. Ath and his Death Knight hate are the apitimy of this (The irony being, this was good because it led to much IC frustration...).

Another issue is the lack of character development and that once people have the "He's from Lordaeron, he hates Elves" stuff down they constantly stick to that even if their character had their daughter, cat and house saved by X race three times they remain the same.

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next