Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

+47
Cathee Norris
Axebane
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Glaciera
Officer High Morale
Samian/Bismack
Ralegh
Robin Drake
Coppersocket
Paia/Jenit
Jenelle
Izzifix
Demurral
Zaraj
Amaryl
Lavian
Seranita
Sam
Vaell
Tnecniw
Zathoroz
Vardrek/Burgen
Allonia_Miral
Littlepip
Charlie Blazesong
Rinoi
Iriel Silversong
Rashka
Skaraa
Adry
Shadesprocket
Tobias Redeye
Grim
Tantzui
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Morgaan
Lexgrad
Krogon Devilstep
Ixirar
Kittrina
Arabella Greene
Brigs Morgan
Lyniath
Beladon
nope
siegmund
Skarain
51 posters

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down

How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying? - Page 12 Empty Re: How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:11 am

Deader than a dead thing from Deadshire.

Kinda funny that most who post here don't actually play on Defias and/or have active subs. It's like some elitest social club where you alternatively say how wonderful you all are or how bad everyone else is and gush false sentiment to others within the special circle that is Defiasrp.

Yes, I deleted my original post because I don't think anyone actually read it anyway so no loss. Bye Defias. It's been an experience here but sadly not a good one.

Last edited by Arli on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying? - Page 12 Empty Re: How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

Post by Ixirar Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:47 am

A suggestion for how to kickstart operation: realm forums. If you, at any point in this thread or prior, have said that you think the realm forums should be our only forum and DefiasRP should be shut down, and if you still stand by that belief, stop posting on DefiasRP right now. If this idea has a majority backing it up, DefiasRP will die. Many of the people on here are people without subscriptions/people who don't actively RP on Defias Brotherhood atm (me included) and I believe these are the primary people that wouldn't follow suit.

The suggestion to shut down DefiasRP has been made so many times now. If people are going to keep throwing it around, maybe it's time to actually do it. So go. Go to the realm forums. Make your posts there instead of here. Put the vent thread, the happy thread, so on and so on over on the realm forums. Let those who aren't on this site interact with the DefiasRP community.

Put your money where your mouth is this time. The best way to kill a forum is to stop using it, so go for it.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:56 am

Nice post on the main forum, Arabella. Honest and open /applaud.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maelmoor Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Drustai wrote:
Vardrek/Burgen wrote:As for the council, it honestly doesn't feel like they do anything, cannot possibly see the point of council if A) The councillors don't really come on and casually Roleplay beyond the one meeting a week. And B) Don't create things for the roleplay community to partake in. As well as this councils are very short.

Yup. At this point the Council either needs a serious reformation or it should be eliminated entirely. Any reformation has to be one that removes every member that isn't actively doing anything outside of Council sessions. Seriously, the Tuesday sessions should be a small fraction of your RP, Councillors, not the entirety of it. You're supposed to be public servants, not museum pieces on display once a week.

It's pretty blatant when I, someone who hasn't even played for two years, have offered regularly to update the stickied threads in the Council forum only to be met with silence. I eventually just struck out the entire status thread since it's so out of date.

You should know better than this, a very disappointing comment.

We recently reformed the Council and by doing so involved all guilds based in Stormwind to take part, in order to make it fair, this was what people wanted and thus it was changed. Since then we have involved nine to ten guilds in the Council, they choose who is representing them, some go with guild leaders, others choose various people, this gives the Council a healthy dynamic where more people are given a chance and it also makes it more open. As long as it makes sense ICly all guilds that have applied to the Council have been accepted (even the "Workers Union *coughs*).

By having 80-90% of Stormwinds RP population involved in the Council we can finally move away from the "Council needs to do more" statements, if the Council should do more, then it's up to the community, not a single councillor. As you have been away you might not be aware of this.

What I see with the Council is a great gathering point for the Stormwind community, with a lot of people involved in RP and while the session might only last 15-30 minutes I dare to say with certainty that the RP that comes out of it makes it to something truly imporant. A new law, a sandwich thrown at a councillor, a workers union being formed, information being shared etc is just a few examples of RP thats been born out of the Council sessions.

As for the rest of the time, I can honestly say that those guilds and organizations sitting in the Council are truly dedicated with to the RP community and they represent they very backbone of Stormwind RP, if some guild is not taking part in this they are very welcome to attend and contribute and as always individuals may apply to Minister roles in order to give people a chance who are not part of the guild.

I've seen comments like yours a number of times through the years, they are very seldom constructive or in other ways contributing, what I know is that the Council provides a lot of RP in many ways, also outside of Councils in forms of events, prodviding frameworks to support RP, creating plots and stories that can be evolved into greather things and creating this so important community spirit. To remove this seems insane and very destructive but feel free to help us out to make it better Smile
Maelmoor
Maelmoor

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:40 pm

if this is so then why are two possibly 3 big guilds Cartel regiment and form what roumers I have heard WT all planning if not already moved to ad?.. clearly the council is not technically working, that aside.. I to am in favor of archiving this site, its had its day... no new rp'ers come on here anymore.. I havent seen any new faces here in a long time..and those that are hear.. only a small number of us actually are actively rp'ing on defias,

but to topic Points I have seen

1, shut down this site all it does is give people false impression of db with the all to common flame wars
2, people should be more polite with one another.. reject trollers and those out to harasse or otherwise bully.. Usualy hidden behind the lable "banter"
3, activly show suport for new rp'ers.. dont freeze them out of give them a cold shoulder... a newbie comes to rp and slaps in a smilie not thinking..guide gently, this first impression is always Paramount to getting that new person to rp
4, try to rp where ooc'ers are about so trade district in sw, stormshield (band of the brave do this regularly now and have snagged a couple from that, anywhere where one can rp in public view.. yeah you will gain a loller or two.. but treet that ic not ooc.. like there just nuts
5, devolution of ranks of overlord power.. IE the council.. such rp gives off the air of elitism and even when I first began, I found it off putting, as quite a lot of time.. someone makes a lord to become a councerler quite often they get rejected, I have seen this several times now.. it creates the feeling of "why can they have power and not me?".. however f the council has indeed improved latley.. I wouldn't know.. I havent been rp'ing in sw for some time now
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:03 pm

Just a note.
Monrena wrote:
1, shut down this site  all it does is give people false impression of db with the all to common flame wars

The flame wars and trolling and general drama that Defias has always had was just as prevalent on Blizzard's forums before DefiasRP as it has been on here since then. And if the realm forums are actually succesfully made the new "hangout spot" it'll be just as prevalent there again.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:Just a note.
Monrena wrote:
1, shut down this site  all it does is give people false impression of db with the all to common flame wars

The flame wars and trolling and general drama that Defias has always had was just as prevalent on Blizzard's forums before DefiasRP as it has been on here since then. And if the realm forums are actually succesfully made the new "hangout spot" it'll be just as prevalent there again.

Well, minus the grumps who don't have subs.
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:23 pm

indeed.. a lot of the flamers and haters on this site are mostly unsubbed save for a few
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:27 pm

The drama will find a way. Most of the big names in Defias Drama from WLK never set foot on DefiasRP. New names will pop up.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Maelmoor wrote:You should know better than this, a very disappointing comment.

We recently reformed the Council and by doing so involved all guilds based in Stormwind to take part, in order to make it fair, this was what people wanted and thus it was changed. Since then we have involved nine to ten guilds in the Council, they choose who is representing them, some go with guild leaders, others choose various people, this gives the Council a healthy dynamic where more people are given a chance and it also makes it more open. As long as it makes sense ICly all guilds that have applied to the Council have been accepted (even the "Workers Union *coughs*).

By having 80-90% of Stormwinds RP population involved in the Council we can finally move away from the "Council needs to do more" statements, if the Council should do more, then it's up to the community, not a single councillor. As you have been away you might not be aware of this.

Actually I am aware of this and have been keeping up with Council-related news despite being unsubbed. I was very opposed to this idea when it was being proposed (and I voiced my opposition to some of the people backing it) and I still believe it was a poor change. For the sake of not derailing this thread further with Council arguments though I'm going to leave it at that.

I've seen comments like yours a number of times through the years, they are very seldom constructive or in other ways contributing, what I know is that the Council provides a lot of RP in many ways, also outside of Councils in forms of events, prodviding frameworks to support RP, creating plots and stories that can be evolved into greather things and creating this so important community spirit. To remove this seems insane and very destructive but feel free to help us out to make it better Smile

And I was one of the people making these comments many times over the years. I chose to do something about it when I joined with Areyah during Pandaria. Whether I choose to try again I don't know, but if I did I would be ruffling feathers.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobias Redeye Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:53 pm

After typing out a gigantic wall of text, I accidently pressed the key that took me to the previous page. I am burning up with rage.

To sum up what I was talking about, is how the council, infact does not represent the backbone of Stormwind RP and besides the fact that a number of guilds chill in the corner of the room, those 3-4 council members still enjoy the power-rp which actually has very little impact on what actually ends up happening at all (hey sounds like RL politics!) and those few councillers barely, if not never actually appear anywhere else except at the council. Not all but most of them.
Tobias Redeye
Tobias Redeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Adry Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:11 pm

The council is completely defunct. It now stands only as a detriment to Stormwind RP, and the most rational course of action would be to disband it and sweep it under the rug quietly.
Adry
Adry

Character sheet
Name: Lelitha Étoires
Title: Pretend-Champion of the Band of the Brave

Back to top Go down

Post by Maelmoor Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Monrena wrote:if this is so then why are two possibly 3 big guilds Cartel regiment and form what roumers I have heard  WT all planning if not already moved to ad?.. clearly the council is not technically working

Um why would it be the Councils responsibility if guilds choose to move? I see statements that the Council is unimportant so clearly there are other reasons behind that.

Drustai wrote:
And I was one of the people making these comments many times over the years. I chose to do something about it when I joined with Areyah during Pandaria. Whether I choose to try again I don't know, but if I did I would be ruffling feathers.

Yes you were but most of the people complaining never do anything about it, they want others to make it happen.

Furenia Krast wrote:After typing out a gigantic wall of text, I accidently pressed the key that took me to the previous page. I am burning up with rage.

To sum up what I was talking about, is how the council, infact does not represent the backbone of Stormwind RP and besides the fact that a number of guilds chill in the corner of the room, those 3-4 council members still enjoy the power-rp which actually has very little impact on what actually ends up happening at all (hey sounds like RL politics!) and those few councillers barely, if not never actually appear anywhere else except at the council. Not all but most of them.

As stated before, the Council is formed by a major chunk of the guilds in Stormwind and we always welcome for new guilds to help out and contribute.

There is a clique of people that are ungrateful and always tend to complain but as I mentioned above, expect others to do things, they very rarely contribute themselves. Unfortunately these kind of persons are often vocal, they can be seen in forums, chat channels etc

I fail to see how to remove our only weekly community event that has created so much RP through the years and still does would make the situation better? I get whispers from people who are new to RP or to the server and has thanks to the Council (since it's a public event for everyone to join) been interested to RP or take part in it, to me that is what we need on Defias.

It's not until you lose something that you truly can appreciate it, so we should take care of what we have and build upon it, rather than demolish something good and hope the grass is greener on the other side of the hill.

------

As for the main topic, it's a relevant question and there is no easy solution. I think we all agree that getting more people to RP is something good, for that to happen I would rather see that people get together, find that true community spirit and start to act. What I loathe is people with negative attitude that complain and take down people who try. I much rather see someone try to arrange, do something and even if it's not perfect, even if it comes with flaws that is so muh better than people moaning in a forum about things and then do nothing.
Maelmoor
Maelmoor

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:34 pm

actualy the reasons behind what I say as linked to your further text below your quoting..I myself in the time I was rp'ing in the braves in stormshield have also been aproched many times with people enquiering about rp.. infact the council where the meetings are held thow yes are public.. are well away from amy main area's ooc'ers tend to visit, and if your going to use this line to defend the council.. I would say move the council meetings to somewhere more public and open. heck even dso it in stormshield.. considering there is a war going there.. ic councilers would go there to keep a watch on red tape spending troop deployment and logistics etc, dont hold the meetings in a back room in a keep where you will get one.. mabie two ooc'ers run past every half an hour, as for guard guilds.. do we even have any active ones now? yes the council has made an event.. but its one event.. every week where councilers may or may not turn up and is commonly just a load of people twiddling there thumbs watching one or two people speak,

if we are to go along the lines of attracting new rp'ers with said council..it is currently very unefitiant (bad?) with how it does it and i would advise change, that and as has been mooted befor.. a lot of people who roll "councillers" do so usualy just to hold that rank.. there usualy alts who are not seen at any other time of the week which is a real shame..

the council could do a hell of a lot more, but sadly all it does is sit in a chamber once a week and thats about it.. want people to support the council.. to support the ranks that the council they hold .. do more for the comunity than just sit down talking once a week
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzifix Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:05 pm

This post will be my last in the thread, and my only serious one:

Spend your time ingame RPing. RP generates RP. Spending more time RPing will increase your overall happiness with your RP as well, as more RP leads to more high-quality (however you personally define that) RP as well. If you RP a lot, a bad evening is nothing, if you RP only when the "time is right for you" and you don't have the time of your life it's devastating. Not in the mood for roleplaying? Log out. Do something else. Log in when you want to RP again.

One of the biggest problems in any RP guild is when there are enough members online to have fun IC, but everyone is doing their own thing to get those points/crystals/gold instead of doing what their guild is all about. Any member can only ask "wanna rp?" so many times before learning that "no, they don't wanna, might as well log out". And that is how roleplaying dies. One disappointed enthusiast at a time.

Good luck, active rpers!

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Use the realm forums, no need to shut these ones down. That's not going to make me go on the realm forums and it's not going to make a lot of other people use them. Just because you have a problem with these forums doesn't mean it's everyone's problem. I still read most things put on here.

Just go out there and rp. Advertise the lfrp channel.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:43 am

I can suggest RPing and being patient with lollers. Often enough they do it cause they're curious, so if you meet them with your best side, show them that you're cool people either through IC or OOC means, they might just turn around. Happened quite a few times to me where we were able to "convert" lollers into properly trying out RPing. If you can't get to that extent, chances are they're at least gonna be hilarious for the small amount of time you have to put up with em
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:51 pm

I won't take long, just one post to state my personal view (Hey! A nice idea, to limit some public discussion to one post? Razz)

To help the server - I can only repeat those before me: Roleplay and be mindful. Respect anyone, anywhere. Give not one but three chances - give some credit from the start. Turn your attention to Realm Forums too, (fish there, trim and gut here). No matter how bad you are try some PvP, then even casuals will respect you.

I can't imagine roleplay without rules - rights and restrictions. People generally tend to forget that next to the right to do things is the right to not to do things(sic!). This is the natural order. The rules we have on DB are already quite neat and tabloid, pale and flat. And that rules makes our RP well organised. They are not complicated, they are few; the faster you learn the more you can do.

The Council is pure politics. In any society there is always a group of people who represents and sometimes decides for the majority. And, obviously, there are moments when you're mad at this instance, that it works wrong, do nothing, etc., but it only proves that it works. I am no different. But with no support from the Community, what else can I do then oblige?
Keep the Council. Respect those players who very often sacrifice their RL matters to be there on time, for you, even thou very often it turns fruitless. And if you think, that the Council abuses the power given turn to the House of Lords (a counterpart would very often be helpful, in my view). Or complain to the King. His Majesty will listen. His Majesty can't literally run from it.
And if you think it's badly located, then you should think of second large enough space, and there's only the Cathedral (I believe Sir Indarys would be very pleased to cast all flamers and holy-ground-abusers into catacombs for "a nice, little chat with Brother Crowley").

I'll try to engage Mall in as much rp as I find suitable, but I'll try to rp some alts in as much rp as possible.

On the side note, I'm not moaning and whining because I agree with everything and don't have any personal wishes or claims. But, in public, I respect you. All of you.
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet
Name: Aramal Blackstone
Title: Knight of Stormwind, Lord of Blackwood

http://mallucis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12