Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

+47
Cathee Norris
Axebane
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Glaciera
Officer High Morale
Samian/Bismack
Ralegh
Robin Drake
Coppersocket
Paia/Jenit
Jenelle
Izzifix
Demurral
Zaraj
Amaryl
Lavian
Seranita
Sam
Vaell
Tnecniw
Zathoroz
Vardrek/Burgen
Allonia_Miral
Littlepip
Charlie Blazesong
Rinoi
Iriel Silversong
Rashka
Skaraa
Adry
Shadesprocket
Tobias Redeye
Grim
Tantzui
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Morgaan
Lexgrad
Krogon Devilstep
Ixirar
Kittrina
Arabella Greene
Brigs Morgan
Lyniath
Beladon
nope
siegmund
Skarain
51 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying? Empty How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

Post by Skarain Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:21 am

This topic seems to rise up on regular intervals, but at least it is a very relevant one in regard the continuity of our hobby.

I am sure we all have noticed that the server population is not made exclusively out of roleplayers. We have raiders, we have PvPers, we have craftsmen, levelers and everything from the spectrum that WoW does cater to players. Many who come to the server (including me) were not here initially to have a part in Roleplaying. However some do end up trying roleplaying out and that is how the roleplaying community grows.

I am curious, what thoughts would people have on How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

my own thoughts are:

Since i hope to create conversation with this thread, conversation that results could possibly benefit all of us, i am curious to hear what other people have to say. Smile

I would also hope that people would not attack the point of "Close down this Forum, use Realm Forum". That is -one- point, but i would hope people to look beyond that and think of the people who do not read forums at all. After all, majority of WoW players focus on playing the game, not roaming the forums.

(15.03.2015) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(19.03.2015) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(21.03.2015) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Skarain on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:17 am; edited 8 times in total
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying? Empty Re: How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

Post by Skarain Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:23 am

-Roleplay in locations that are open for everyone to come and go to, like Stormshield! Instanced RP, bubble RP is not good for the community as it hides us from the prying eyes of the public. Going into hidden locations from time to time is fine, but we should try to be where the players are. I for one thing that Ashran and Stormshield are great places for Roleplaying! Stormshield looks absolutely gorgeous and because of Garrisons it's not even as overwhelmingly crowded as Shrines used to be during MoP! There also won't be hovering flying mounts everywhere, which is great for immersion. The Inn, the Barracks, the Mess Hall, Mage tower... everything expect the Bank and Auction House are great looking areas with seldom use and would work great to roleplay at.
Also to add, what do people think... would it be possible to move all Stormwind City RP to Stormshield temporarily? For a week or two? There is construction at place, so Workers could be taken from Stormwind to Stormshield to work with the many building projects, and some guards move there to - to help maintain the order and ensure worker safety. If the area is raided by Horde WPvP, you could easily take an emergency portal back into Stormwind safety.

I just can't think of a better way to smack the roleplaying community to people faces than to have the Faction Capital of the expansion populated with Roleplayers, guards patrolling on the streets, workers hammering on the buildings, people getting smashed in the tavern and so-on... even if only temporarily.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying? Empty Re: How could we lure more people to try out Roleplaying?

Post by siegmund Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:15 am

That's a interesting idea to send workers and so to Stormshield. Could be food for the "civilian guild" thing idea and of course others. But it has to be something like that or guards send prisoners to do labor work there, just as long as we don't have cops and robers running around Stormshield of course, but i rather not poke into that subject too much.

A good old campaign would probably do good yes, some basics rules maybe and maybe if certain people want they can make their own small skirmishes and agree to some more rules if they want.

There though as i've seen is a issue that some people just come to RP there, or some have a lack of RP, sometimes some are tired of the pvp part and just want to RP or something something else.

Could do as I already said labor force or have civilians (workforce, blacksmiths, engineers, other stuff) help out in the back... Or maybe do a supply line of a sort in the back (Of course safety not garuanteed). Or I supose could go on a resource hunt event or something even back home or wherever away from the battle zone. Damn it man ships need wood. And some things need some things. And some people need work others need "training" what to do in a situation if gankers come by... Make it IC maybe a lecture to the civis to not run around like headless chickens.

Things of great global effect have great effect usually. Have a big rally of people and promote the war ICly (whatever one may be)...

I dunno buy a ton of food and "give" it out to soldiers so they can eat ... Have a healthstone stand in the back or something?

That's just me throwing some ideas about...
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by nope Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:27 am

I think niceness helps sometimes? Like, does the community look like an approachable one? How do interactions with non-Rpers tend to go?

I don't think everyone temporarily going to Stormshield is practical just because of ic and ooc constraints (Not everyone has the expansion or the levels, would have to grab a warlock every time for under-90s, getting in and out of Draenor seems a bit resource-heavy ic and not every random civillian might have a reason to be there) but Rp there does sound nice? I mean, you mentioned all these buildings. I'm tempted to give going there a try at least - plus it'd be harder for PvPers to zerg everything because other 100s would be there. Might provide PvP for the others, who knows.

Seconding that the cops and robbers stuff might be a bit overwhelming though.
nope
nope

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Beladon Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:20 pm

More active use of the realm forums would be a big start really if I am honest. I'm not waving a torch and demanding these forums be shut down but If you compare DB's realm forums to AD's, there is a big difference. When people view the realm forums for Defias, they will see some guild recruitment threads and the rest of it is either "Hai guys, I'm new to dis realm" "Bai guys, I love you all" or generic PvP threads. The Rp community is not advertised on the realm forums much, if at all.

More pro-active use of the realm forums might be a big help, but these things have been said before and most often are met with a negative/uncaring attitude.

The things I always found unsettling about this forum was the process of being "vouched" into the forums, though I think that has been changed now. That alone was a very isolating tactic, however I do understand the purpose, using it to prevent OOC guilds and folks actually looking to just ruin rp. In the long run it has made the RP community appear isolated and closed in. New blood to the realm will go look at the realm forums, see barely any RP related posts and then look elsewhere.

Personally I am thinking that more active use of the WoW eu Realm forums and the Roleplaying forums might bring out the community more, show that DB has never stopped roleplaying. Even if we take something like making all IC and event related posts being advertised on the Realm forums, maybe even things like the Rumour Mill, threads about twitter feeds (i think the twitter feeds might be a good way of keeping a diary of activity within your guilds).

And yes, this will expose events to those seeking to actually interfere and mock the roleplay, but if we want to see Defias thrive, we need to take it on the chin. We have enough active Roleplayers on the realm to support each others threads on the forums. Bump threads, upvote RP posts, downvote trolling and derailments.

Another thing Skarain said I have liked is the RP-PvP campaigns, however the "play by our rules" might not work so well.

Recently I've been looking in to locating some places in game we can use for mass brawls, with the intention of hosting events that invite all on the realm to join in, without any sort of rules to constrict them. For an example my first idea was to have Alliance forces attack Tarren Mill in revenge for the destruction of Southshore, or a titan relic was uncovered in Silithus and both factions are eager to get their hands on it. The purpose is simply to have an IC justification, and the outcome doesn't really matter. It's purpose would be to just get some Wpvp going that is an open invitation to all.

Beladon
Beladon

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:56 pm

I'll just add that even in Stormwind, it was cool when the Platoon was active and Taph would basically swarm anyone remotely interested into an RP raid, which brought a bunch more people into the fold and created a good OOC discussion channel. Now it's gone back to two main groups hiding in two main secluded areas

Last edited by Lyniath on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigs Morgan Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:41 pm

People should be more approachable. When I first started in 2011 I was told to fuck off a few times. Swindle gave me a chance with the cartel finally. I found it a little hostile at first.
Brigs Morgan
Brigs Morgan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Patients with newer roleplayers is vital
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigs Morgan Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Arabella Greene wrote:Patients with newer roleplayers is vital

Yeah too right. being part of your own super best friend gang and giving anyone else just a slight "yeah hi" is something that used to happen here too much too. I know i've done it myself a few times, Only RPing with one crowd etc. I've not been so active much anymore but if it still happens that sucks.
Brigs Morgan
Brigs Morgan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 pm

I miss Cathedral Square Sad it was amazing as a noob to the rp scene, all sorts of shit kicking off at any hours of the day. And sure there were some odd/extreme/bizarre individuals. But having a big open environment that anyone could be 'just passing through' rather than a bar/keep/room that you need a reason to stop into had some huge benefits when I was a newcomer. Always thought the rp community was shooting itself in the foot when it gradually turned its nose up at it.
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:19 pm

Haha, oh god. I remember all the drama that happened when people started claiming that Goldshire was moving to the Cathedral. Nostalgia-strike right there.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigs Morgan Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Kittrina wrote:I miss Cathedral Square Sad it was amazing as a noob to the rp scene, all sorts of shit kicking off at any hours of the day. And sure there were some odd/extreme/bizarre individuals. But having a big open environment that anyone could be 'just passing through' rather than a bar/keep/room that you need a reason to stop into had some huge benefits when I was a newcomer. Always thought the rp community was shooting itself in the foot when it gradually turned its nose up at it.

Kitt resurrect blades and bring glory back ill pay you twenty thousand yen.
Brigs Morgan
Brigs Morgan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Fortesgue had an excellent idea a few years back, about nights in Goldshire where we go out of our way to interact with new players and such. Granted thats a tad defunked now, with instant level 90's and such, but the premiss of giving new Roleplayers a platform/opportunity to interact with the established community is overall an excellent idea.

Sadly, it had minimum impact due to one reason or another. That being said, if done on a much grander, and regular scale...

1 - Bi-monthly weekend gatherings where we invite Non-rp'ers/New rp'ers to a string of varied events.

2 - These events would range around a capital city, be it stormwind, ironforge, orgrimmar or Thunder bluff. This would be across both factions.

3 - Have pre-planned things, such as a council meeting, offer folks a chance to patrol with guards, a tavern night, tournaments, cultist RP and other smaller things that let people explore the different aspects of Roleplay.

4 - Being pre-planned, hostilities between RP guilds would cease on a... outward level, and sort of like city guards, if asked, we could gentle nudge people in the direction of what their looking for. Guards or paladins could tell would-be acolyte warlocks that the demonic arts are feared and hated, and they "should stay away from the slaughtered lamb -wink wink, nudge nudge-".

5 Be community inclusive. Everyone should be welcomed and tried to be integrated, while us more experienced RP'ers try to gently shephard rather than participate full on our selves.

All in all, thats my five cents suggestion. Though i do Agree with most the posts above regarding PvP/Forums and such.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:Haha, oh god. I remember all the drama that happened when people started claiming that Goldshire was moving to the Cathedral. Nostalgia-strike right there.

I remember back in the day when all the cool shady Cloak McDagger sorts spent ages mastering the few spots where you could jump onto the rooftops and, I dunno, brood dramatically.
I mean, I totally wasn't one of them.

Don't get me wrong, like I said there was some pretty 'out there' stuff going on, worgen before worgen were a race, mind readers, births, deaths, all sorts. But that was the thing, there was all sorts going on, I think there's more and more a tendency to pre-plan and seek approval before anything now but being out, in an open area, at peak times is really the best way to boost interaction and interest with new players. Hell, Chapterians used to send new characters to sweep the Cathedral steps which I think was genius in getting the guild's face out and interacting, when they could very easily have stayed hidden away in Northshire.

Anyway, I don't know the full situation now, just my thoughts based on the scene before I went.

Off-topic: Brigs if I come back it wouldn't be Blades, they had a purpose and they completed it, and Kitt's story is pretty much over. Besides as far as she knows as of leaving, Braiden was still a major player, and he a. Had major leverage/blackmail and b. Was going to kill her son and Humphry if she did anything out of line, so she ain't coming back! Besides if I made a new guild it'd be something other than mercs, maybe a detective agency or a rat-catchers/vermin-control guild idk.
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:16 pm

I would join a guild with you and Humph, tho make it more bad ass than rat catchers pls Razz
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Kittrina wrote:Off-topic: Brigs if I come back it wouldn't be Blades, they had a purpose and they completed it, and Kitt's story is pretty much over. Besides as far as she knows as of leaving, Braiden was still a major player, and he a. Had major leverage/blackmail and b. Was going to kill her son and Humphry if she did anything out of line, so she ain't coming back! Besides if I made a new guild it'd be something other than mercs, maybe a detective agency or a rat-catchers/vermin-control guild idk.
Off topic:
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Brigs Morgan Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:10 pm

Rat catching guild. I approve.
Brigs Morgan
Brigs Morgan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgaan Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 am

Hmm.. this kind, Kitt? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And anyway, even though I'm not really active around here anymore ( Hah, not really? Not at all would be better to say.) I agree with that, every time I logged one of my characters around DB it was dead. And ah..another good idea would be getting those open rp threads up on the forums. That's at least how I got into rp all those bloody years ago. Damnit... what a trap it was!
Morgaan
Morgaan

Character sheet
Name: Morgaan Pureheart
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyniath Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:06 am

Morgaan wrote:Hmm.. this kind, Kitt? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And anyway, even though I'm not really active around here anymore ( Hah, not really? Not at all would be better to say.) I agree with that, every time I logged one of my characters around DB it was dead. And ah..another good idea would be getting those open rp threads up on the forums. That's at least how I got into rp all those bloody years ago. Damnit... what a trap it was!

Oh my god I remember when I holidayed in France, bouncing between WiFi zones to post in ORP threads XD
Lyniath
Lyniath

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:14 am

I hear corned beef is a great lure.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tantzui Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 am

Flying Bolts did great things in their time. They had their hub at Orgrimmars Wyvern's Tail where random non-roleplayers visited too. I imagine there ain't nothing as awesome as stopping at Inn vendor in mind to sell some crap, but suddenly spot a goblin behind the desk: "Howdy pal! Care for a drink?" Most just ignored, some started lolling but i remember atleast few reacting the situation with actual roleplay! ^^

I like the idea of having alliance RP moved to Stormshield and horde RP moved to Warspear even for temporary, but they should be moved in there at the same time! So in addition to casual RP it could be possible to provoke some good old RP-PvP or even run some Ashran IC. Please gimme!

Having a good times and showing it to others makes it always more tempting for others to join the RP scene. :>

One more thing that popped into my mind. Twitter! PvP'rs (too) are going crazy about Twitter on the realm forums: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . Maybe sharing some roleplayer accounts there could bring us out on positive, more relaxed light? Atleast i'm thinking of making a Twitter account for Tant for random laughs and awesome screenies of RP. Just got to be carefull when to share them or it will turn into open invitation to pvp ganking. Very Happy
Tantzui
Tantzui

Character sheet
Name: Tant
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 am

I recently reactivated my Twitter account and was considering making a Blood Wolf persona on it and just spam RP junk on there about us. Would be more fun if a bunch of people did it and then we can kinda do the Twitter thread we have going elsewhere on this forum, but y'know... actually on Twitter?
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Tobias Redeye Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:08 am

Moving RP altogether to Draenor would more reduce it than increase for obvious reasons.
Tobias Redeye
Tobias Redeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadesprocket Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:09 am

Had the idea of spazzing out on twitter as a toon as well after looking at the w-pvp'ers having a great time of it, just wonder how long it'll last.

Shadesprocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:12 am

Probably wouldn't last long, but it would be fun to give it a go!

Could even make it truly IC and say that it's a goblin-made social network called "The Written Intelligence Tethered Transportation Economy Responder." or something
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next