Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hated Draenei

+23
Grufftoof
Lexgrad
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thelos
Kittrina
Tantzui
Paia/Jenit
Izzifix
Coppersocket
Shadesprocket
Eldiros
Helmut
Feral / Blackfall
Zaraj
erwtenpeller
Skarain
Muzjhath
Amaryl
siegmund
James Ryder
Sanara
Kozgugore Feraleye
Tnecniw
27 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hated Draenei - Page 3 Empty Re: Hated Draenei

Post by Helmut Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Paia/Jenit wrote:
Dwyburn wrote:Hey! Don't pick on triple dots. They're fine for expressing pauses when a character speaks etc.

Ellipsis are fine to express pauses in dialogue, to imply a deliberate omission or dialogue trailing off without a clear stopping point.

It's... when you... come across... like... Stevie... from... Malcolm in the Middle... that... it seems...excessive and... redundant.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Helmut
Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Coppersocket wrote:Basically; don't define the character. Let the character define you. (To a degree. The character isn't you, after all. But you hopefully get what I mean.)

Perhaps a better way to phrase it is "Let the character define themselves", if I got your meaning right?
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Basically, yes. The character needs to grow like a flower, otherwise it'll miss key parts of it's structure.

If you buy a plastic flower you get the looks, but you miss out on the caring to keep it alive and being able to see it grow from nothing to something lovely.

It's an absolutely vital part in getting to know your character.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Tantzui Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:52 pm

It's good to have a background. But what makes it fun is the roleplay itself. I suggest you to RP the reason to be hated!

Join a RP guild. Show people that your char is nuts, do something freaky. Maybe get (IC, hopefully not OOC) kicked out of the guild because of evil spider-fetish etc. Use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to spread rumors about your char among all the roleplayers of defias. Attend all kind of events (maybe even Horde's?) and let your spider eat all the food and annoy people. Be easy to hate IC, and hard to hate OOC. Smile
Tantzui
Tantzui

Character sheet
Name: Tant
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm not ripping on drama dots. I just wanted to say that I find "drama dots" a nicely fitting name for them. I'm a frequent user of drama dots to express nuances in tone that are hard to convey through written text, when appropriate.

Who doesn't love... A dramatic pause??

Tantzui wrote:Join a RP guild.
The character that's the subject of this thread is in the Band of the Brave at the moment, and she's certainly managed to sew a certain amount of disgust for her spider-talking ways. Eesh!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaraj Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Let's not get too carried away with phrases such as "let the character live its own life" or "define itself." At the end of the day, a character isn't its own living thing. You've created it for whatever intent there is, you're playing the character and you've decided what the character is going to be.

That said, character developments such as turning evil should be natural in the sense that something you've experienced in RP should change your character. Something that comes from the dynamic between different roleplayers, which is pretty much key to the best RP.

Say that your character was to turn evil for the sake of not being accepted as a spiderlovin' draenei. You've made up your mind on that, and it's going to happen in a set number of days. But what happens if your character meets people who she identifies with and likes? To such a point where she doesn't feel shunned or rejected, which sort of nullifies the point of going "evil"?
It wouldn't make sense and it wouldn't feel natural because of the RP and the relationships you've established in game.

If you want to go evil, but not necessarily start out as an evil character, I can sort of only echo what copper said, in that let something in game make that change for you. Perhaps a cult finds your character and convinces him/her that they are friends. Or perhaps there is something that happens in RP that makes your character react so strongly that she turns "evil". Otherwise, you might as well have the character be evil from the very start, right?

Also, I'd avoid evil RP for a bit since... god damn, it can be a mess in every possible way. At least, for a bit.

EDIT: uh yeah what tantzui and erwentpeller sorta said.
Zaraj
Zaraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:57 pm

Yeah. Try get into RP and let your character develop naturally instead of decide everything before you start, really. Also, there are two very important things that evil players need to know before they get their characters onto an evil crusade:

1. MAKE UP A GOAL FOR YOUR CHARACTER!

You should not have a char who is evil just for the sake of being evil. Want to enslave everyone and use them as puppets? What does your char want to accomplish by doing so? Give your char reasons, plans, policys and GOALS! This is what my char is set out to do, this is how he/she thinks they can do it, etc.

2. BE PREPARED TO NOT WIN EVERY BATTLE.

To be evil, you have to be balanced by the good guys. If you want to RP with people, you have to give in to what other people wants aswell. I've seen counless of evil RPers and to be honest, only a handful has not been overpowered anime characters. It gets ver dull for the good guys if they can't ever defeat you. Because if you were to just win all the time, the good guys will not want to play with you and just leave you. And finally, one must realize that, depending on the scale of the characters goals,:
Spoiler:
Helmut
Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Loads of good and useful points here. Also note most evil people think they're doing the 'right' thing in some way, or can rationalise and excuse their actions to an extent. Evil for the sake of evil is just Captain Planet stupidness and very dull to play around with.

Also determine what you personally consider 'evil' before embarking on it. More than looking the part, consider mindset. Will your character hurt people for fun, or because being an asshole is quicker and more effective? Do you have a goal? Do you have a moral code? Overall, what is your aim? Do you want your character's 'evil' side to be a callous sociopath or a manipulative backstabber or just a bit of dick with anger issues?
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:29 pm

You could go with your Draenei being Draenor born and have your character feel that she could sympathize with Kil'Jaeden and Archimonde for *insert reason here*
That way she wouldn't have had a choice back when Velen departed with the people now known as "Draenei" and feel forced into her existence and allegiance
Associating herself with the Eredar would quickly give her own kind a reason to frown at her existence, but as long as she don't actually engage in any eredar activity or help them somehow, they can't really "bring her to justice" so that would sort of give people a reason to hate your character I suppose...

Being hated isn't particularly difficult though, and honestly I don't see how it could make for any sort of interesting RP in the long run, but not everyone can be a good kind of person either I suppose.

Also, it's incredible how busy some of you people here are to tell people what to do, let people figure out them selfs for fucks sake.

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Zaraj wrote:Say that your character was to turn evil for the sake of not being accepted as a spiderlovin' draenei. You've made up your mind on that, and it's going to happen in a set number of days. But what happens if your character meets people who she identifies with and likes? To such a point where she doesn't feel shunned or rejected, which sort of nullifies the point of going "evil"?
It wouldn't make sense and it wouldn't feel natural because of the RP and the relationships you've established in game.

So much this. "Scripted" and forced RP is one of the most disheartening and "cheapest" things I run into. It's a pet peeve of mine, really--what's the point in playing out a role, and interacting with someone's character, only to find out that they'd decided the outcome from the get-go and your actions had 0 effect? (My semi-rant here isn't really relevant, just this comment made me nod quite a lot and I felt the need to agree!)

Also --

Coppersocket wrote:Basically, yes. The character needs to grow like a flower, otherwise it'll miss key parts of it's structure.

If you buy a plastic flower you get the looks, but you miss out on the caring to keep it alive and being able to see it grow from nothing to something lovely.

COPPERSOCKET, GUARDIAN OF CENARIUS, with epic elf-style nature metaphors. (No seriously I loved this)
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaraj Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:00 pm

HowlDuskmane wrote:Also, it's incredible how busy some of you people here are to tell people what to do, let people figure out them selfs for fucks sake.

Come on man, i'm a retired armchair RP coach, cut me some slack
Zaraj
Zaraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Feral / Blackfall wrote:
Zaraj wrote:Say that your character was to turn evil for the sake of not being accepted as a spiderlovin' draenei. You've made up your mind on that, and it's going to happen in a set number of days. But what happens if your character meets people who she identifies with and likes? To such a point where she doesn't feel shunned or rejected, which sort of nullifies the point of going "evil"?

So much this.  "Scripted" and forced RP is one of the most disheartening and "cheapest" things I run into.  It's a pet peeve of mine, really--what's the point in playing out a role, and interacting with someone's character, only to find out that they'd decided the outcome from the get-go and your actions had 0 effect?  (My semi-rant here isn't really relevant, just this comment made me nod quite a lot and I felt the need to agree!)

Also --

Coppersocket wrote:Basically, yes. The character needs to grow like a flower, otherwise it'll miss key parts of it's structure.

COPPERSOCKET, GUARDIAN OF CENARIUS, with epic elf-style nature metaphors.  (No seriously I loved this)
I know that... I still like to have an idea in the back of the head like a main tree... when I rp I slowly grow out from the mian tree so that the story changes

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:14 am

Tnecniw wrote:I am wanting to have a Draenei character that is hated... but she herself haven't really done anything... She is smiple a spider loving (near addiction) Draenei woman who was when she was younger hated for her being herself... But... I am still trying to find a reason for her to be hated...
I have had the idea that maybe her father would have been a an Erodar and her mother a Draenei or something (but she don't know who her father is of course) but I am not so sure if that is viable in game? is it? and if it isn't do you have any ideas?

I haven't read trough much of the thread, but I'll try to give you some simple advice.

If you want to play a character that is hated, you need to be despicable things; it is no different than playing a likeable character, for which you will have to have your character do likeable things. I understand this might be a little bit more difficult with a draenei, since they are by default considered paragons of goodness, but there are plenty of ways to still be a jerk while being true to your blue roots. The archetype of the horribly judgemental and stuck-up paladin is a good example. Nobodly likes to be judged; therefore, characters that do nothing but judging tend to be horribly disliked. Trust me, I know from experience!

If you want to be hated by your own kin, the easiest way to go about that is to turn your back on the Light and embrace something highly unbecoming of a draenei, like for example that juicy Fel magic. Or you could fraternize with demons, or creatures that are derivative thereof, like for example Orcs. Or perhaps you can play a very violent, vengeful character with a big cravnig for blood. Most draenei tend to dislike their kin that are overly aggressive.

Good luck and have fun developing your character!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:38 am

Thelos wrote:
Tnecniw wrote:I am wanting to have a Draenei character that is hated... but she herself haven't really done anything... She is smiple a spider loving (near addiction) Draenei woman who was when she was younger hated for her being herself... But... I am still trying to find a reason for her to be hated...
I have had the idea that maybe her father would have been a an Erodar and her mother a Draenei or something (but she don't know who her father is of course) but I am not so sure if that is viable in game? is it? and if it isn't do you have any ideas?

I haven't read trough much of the thread, but I'll try to give you some simple advice.

If you want to play a character that is hated, you need to be despicable things; it is no different than playing a likeable character, for which you will have to have your character do likeable things. I understand this might be a little bit more difficult with a draenei, since they are by default considered paragons of goodness, but there are plenty of ways to still be a jerk while being true to your blue roots. The archetype of the horribly judgemental and stuck-up paladin is a good example. Nobodly likes to be judged; therefore, characters that do nothing but judging tend to be horribly disliked. Trust me, I know from experience!

If you want to be hated by your own kin, the easiest way to go about that is to turn your back on the Light and embrace something highly unbecoming of a draenei, like for example that juicy Fel magic. Or you could fraternize with demons, or creatures that are derivative thereof, like for example Orcs. Or perhaps you can play a very violent, vengeful character with a big cravnig for blood. Most draenei tend to dislike their kin that are overly aggressive.

Good luck and have fun developing your character!
it is good ideas indeed... and a good post aswell. I thank you

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Look at the bright side! My elf hates your char! Starts somewhere Wink
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Elfs hate a lot of people to be fair.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmut Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:57 pm

siegmund wrote:Elfs hate a lot of people to be fair.

And a lot of people hate elves Smile
Helmut
Helmut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Fri May 16, 2014 9:59 am

and now she is the leader of a spider cult xD (but we need more members we are only three at the moment)

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldiros Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 pm

I have spiders in my basement. We can do business!  Twisted Evil 
Eldiros
Eldiros

Character sheet
Name: Eldiros Almadros
Title: Archmage

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Fri May 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Yes... Those spiders are big indeed xD

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat May 17, 2014 11:27 am

Best way to make a hated Draenei is to make a Draenei DK.

I would go for the Draenei agnostic angle tho if I was you, however I would expect that you would get more sympathy rather than hate that way (would hope so anyway).  The thing is hate is the opposite of love, both terms get used when they shouldnt really, you can not hate everyone any more than you can love every one.  If someone hates you it is as personal as them loving you.

So... Try to ruin the life of one person and get them to hate you, or maybe aim for distrust/despise maybe?

(There is no greater expert on the forum about making chars people dont like than Lexy btw XD)
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Sat May 17, 2014 10:39 pm

CAN PEOPLE STOP BEINGS SO DAFT WITH THE REPORTING TOOL THANK YOU
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat May 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Grufftoof wrote:CAN PEOPLE STOP BEINGS SO DAFT WITH THE REPORTING TOOL THANK YOU

Reported.

Spoiler:
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Sat May 17, 2014 11:34 pm

Is this LoL now?
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun May 18, 2014 12:16 am

Now I'm curious what sort of reportable offenses have been happening around here...
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next