Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hated Draenei

+23
Grufftoof
Lexgrad
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thelos
Kittrina
Tantzui
Paia/Jenit
Izzifix
Coppersocket
Shadesprocket
Eldiros
Helmut
Feral / Blackfall
Zaraj
erwtenpeller
Skarain
Muzjhath
Amaryl
siegmund
James Ryder
Sanara
Kozgugore Feraleye
Tnecniw
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hated Draenei Empty Hated Draenei

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:22 pm

I am wanting to have a Draenei character that is hated... but she herself haven't really done anything... She is smiple a spider loving (near addiction) Draenei woman who was when she was younger hated for her being herself... But... I am still trying to find a reason for her to be hated...
I have had the idea that maybe her father would have been a an Erodar and her mother a Draenei or something (but she don't know who her father is of course) but I am not so sure if that is viable in game? is it? and if it isn't do you have any ideas?

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Hated Draenei Empty Re: Hated Draenei

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:26 pm

Hang around orcs a little while and you'll be hated without even having to do much trouble!
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:28 pm

Tnecniw wrote:I am wanting to have a Draenei character that is hated... but she herself haven't really done anything... She is smiple a spider loving (near addiction) Draenei woman who was when she was younger hated for her being herself... But... I am still trying to find a reason for her to be hated...

Uh, why?

Tnecniw wrote:I have had the idea that maybe her father would have been a an Erodar and her mother a Draenei or something

Draenei and Eredar are biologically identical. No such thing as half-Eredar.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Post by James Ryder Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:33 pm

I say.. Give people a reason to hate your character there is no possibility to hate a person without a reason. Your idea of Half-Eredar is impossible but even if it was possible people wouldn't hate you for that. (Except other Draenei maybe).
James Ryder
James Ryder

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:05 pm

What was said Draenei -are- eredar, they just call themselves Draenei (Exiles) since all the drama back on their homeworld.

If you want to make someone hate you you gotta do it by making them hate you. Or some real smart reason.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Sanara: my reason is cause I think it would be a cool character thing and the "half-eredar" thing I didn't mean biologically... more that she would be hated for who she is... (or more who her father is)

James: I did mean that... I wanted her to have a past where as good as noone liked her (which means mostly Draenei) I didn't mean that everyone in Stormwind should dislike her... just that she wasn't accepted by her own people.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Tnecniw wrote:Sanara: my reason is cause I think it would be a cool character thing

Well I'll be honest, it probably wouldn't be. "She's hated by her people for no reason" doesn't achieve much more than cheap, one-dimensional angst which makes for a very dull character people will probably rather avoid than RP with.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:49 pm

As I explained above I want a reason for her to have not been accepted in her past... for a reason she didn't understand or a reason she couldn't help... the eredar thing was just an idea... but if you can say something else that would work am I all ears.

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Sanara wrote:
Tnecniw wrote:Sanara: my reason is cause I think it would be a cool character thing

Well I'll be honest, it probably wouldn't be. "She's hated by her people for no reason" doesn't achieve much more than cheap, one-dimensional angst which makes for a very dull character people will probably rather avoid than RP with.
I know... I am asking for a REASON for her to be hated/ not accepted by her own people. The Ereldar thing was just a small idea. I am searching for a reason that she isn't accepted. A reason that she can't do anything about or don't understand... as simple as that!

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Sanara wrote:why?
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Sanara wrote:
Yeah.. Why... WHY... WHY do you want things? I just think it would be a good story... and I am asking both you and everyone else on this forum if they would know any ideas WHY she would not be accepted or even hated... I am aware that this is the internet and people are assholes... But I am only asking for any ideas on WHY she wouldn't be accepted. and I SAY THIS AGAIN! I WANT IT BECAUSE I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD STORY ARC FOR HER! is that good enough of an answer?

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by James Ryder Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Hold your horses people this is getting nasty
James Ryder
James Ryder

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:16 pm

just ignore Sanara, we all do Wink

There's a problem here really; its cool to have a "background story", but people that you are going to RP with don't know that story, don't care about that story, and ultimately are going to base their opinion on your character based on the interaction they have with her/him and not based on the supposed background story.

Sure you could be an eredar sympathizing bitch during the millenia of exile and shunned for it, because it is cool, but how will that affect your character in the now? all the draenei RPers you'll meet won't know this, and they won't adjust their RP because of your background story. Additionally; nobody is going to either A. read a history on an RSP, or B alter their opinion in the positive oocly, if whispered about it.

Which leaves only one thing that matters with your character's background; How does being disliked/shunned/hated/whatevs, determines how your character acts now. Is she shy? is she quick to anger and to lash out, has she become really fucking devout beyond the normalcy of her race, to prove himself? has he decided to become a goth kid full of teenangst?

Those are the only things that really matter when deciding background. How has my character gained this personality? and what skills/knowledge does he have from the get go.

If you understand that; the actual reason why is quite meaningless, just the fact is important. It can give a character an arc, and idea, a goal to follow. but i hope that beyond the effect on the personality you understand that it will have no influence on your RP with others.

that said i don't care enough about draenei lore to figure out a decent reason.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Amaryl wrote:just ignore Sanara, we all do Wink

There's a problem here really; its cool to have a "background story", but people that you are going to RP with don't know that story, don't care about that story, and ultimately are going to base their opinion on your character based on the interaction they have with her/him and not based on the supposed background story.

Sure you could be an eredar sympathizing bitch during the millenia of exile and shunned for it, because it is cool, but how will that affect your character in the now? all the draenei RPers you'll meet won't know this, and they won't adjust their RP because of your background story. Additionally;  nobody is going to either A. read a history on an RSP, or B alter their opinion in the positive oocly, if whispered about it.

Which leaves only one thing that matters with your character's background; How does being disliked/shunned/hated/whatevs, determines how your character acts now.  Is she shy? is she quick to anger and to lash out, has she become really fucking devout beyond the normalcy of her race, to prove himself? has he decided to become a goth kid full of teenangst?

Those are the only things that really matter when deciding background. How has my character gained this personality? and what skills/knowledge does he have from the get go.

If you understand that; the actual reason why is quite meaningless, just the fact is important. It can give a character an arc, and idea, a goal to follow. but i hope that beyond the effect on the personality you understand that it will have no influence on your RP with others.

that said i don't care enough about draenei lore to figure out a decent reason.
(finally a good answer) well... I mostly wanted to have a reason so she had a reason to both be slightly unsecure about herself, also not really trusting other Draenei. I am aware that other RP'ers wouldn't know it and I am aware that too few reads Backgrounds... I am thankfull for your opinion and I am happy that you gave a good answer  Very Happy
I am aware that most wouldn't go this far to find a REASON to be that... but I love to have a reason...

So does anyone else have any ideas for a reason? I am still searching for a reason she wasn'r accepted in the Draenei people as younger, a reason she don't know or don't understand herself... (the eredar as a father idea is just a simple Idea... I can take most other ideas aswell)

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Tnecniw wrote:
Sanara wrote:
Yeah.. Why... WHY... WHY do you want things? I just think it would be a good story... and I am asking both you and everyone else on this forum if they would know any ideas WHY she would not be accepted or even hated... I am aware that this is the internet and people are assholes... But I am only asking for any ideas on WHY she wouldn't be accepted. and I SAY THIS AGAIN! I WANT IT BECAUSE I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD STORY ARC FOR HER! is that good enough of an answer?

Tnecniw wrote:

So does anyone else have any ideas for a reason? I am still searching for a reason she wasn'r accepted in the Draenei people as younger, a reason she don't know or don't understand herself...

My advice? Don't make the character.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:32 pm

On the "One parent having gone with the Eredar"

I think that pretty much all living Draenei has a family member that did. Since the majority did. So that alone wouldn't be enough.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Muzjhath wrote:On the "One parent having gone with the Eredar"

I think that pretty much all living Draenei has a family member that did. Since the majority did. So that alone wouldn't be enough.
I know... it is just an idea.. that is all...
Maybe he was an Eredar before "creating" her but... I know that is a REALLY long shot

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Like romeo and juliet, or like the shaved post WW2 women?

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:37 pm

Amaryl wrote:Like romeo and juliet, or like the shaved post WW2 women?
I... would more say the first one I guess... but I am not so sure what the other is... (I am not so deeply into the WW2 stuff to be honest and thanks to english not being my first languange, I am not that knowlegable when it comes to WW2 stuff named in english)

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Being hated for no reason whatsoever is tricky. You would either have to done something horrifying, or -be- something horrifying or worth hating. Being a Draenei who hangs around Orcs, as Koz suggested, or The Forlorn Cartel (thugs of Stormwind) are ways of being hated for your race. Elsewhere, you are unlikely to encounter racists.

I do advice against Half-Eredar, since such does not exist in lore. As said earlier, they are the same race, but the uncorrupted Eredar turned to call themselves Draenei "Exiled Ones", while the corrupted turned Man'ari* Eredar.
(*refers to something that is hideously and fundamentally wrong)

You don't have to be Man'ari Eredar (Demon) to be hated. You could be a Draenei who turned into Fel magic for ???? reasons (could be traumatized/insane/weirdo/whatever-reason to turn into such Magics). Warlocks are mistrusted and hated no matter where they go, so turning your back to the Light and embracing Fel is a sure way to get rejected by your People. While Draenei can't pick the Warlock class, you can use Non-combat pet Demons to represent things as an Imp.

Warlocks are not necessarily evil. Well... not in the "I want to destroy the world, kill puppies, desecrate all good and holy!" way. Warlocks however are willing to sacrifice, both themselves and lives and souls of others (Soul Shards) in order to accomplish their goal. Such an act is evil, but the Warlock in question may see it differently. "A few measly lives for the greater good".

Do note: Other Draenei might want to kill you IC for turning into Fel, if you reject their offer for "redemption" (being taken back to the Light).
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Skarain wrote:Being hated for no reason whatsoever is tricky. You would either have to done something horrifying, or -be- something horrifying or worth hating. Being a Draenei who hangs around Orcs, as Koz suggested, or The Forlorn Cartel (thugs of Stormwind) are ways of being hated for your race. Elsewhere, you are unlikely to encounter racists.

I do advice against Half-Eredar, since such does not exist in lore. As said earlier, they are the same race, but the uncorrupted Eredar turned to call themselves Draenei "Exiled Ones", while the corrupted turned Man'ari* Eredar.
(*refers to something that is hideously and fundamentally wrong)

You don't have to be Man'ari Eredar (Demon) to be hated. You could be a Draenei who turned into Fel magic for ???? reasons (could be traumatized/insane/weirdo/whatever-reason to turn into such Magics). Warlocks are mistrusted and hated no matter where they go, so turning your back to the Light and embracing Fel is a sure way to get rejected by your People. While Draenei can't pick the Warlock class, you can use Non-combat pet Demons to represent things as an Imp.

Warlocks are not necessarily evil. Well... not in the "I want to destroy the world, kill puppies, desecrate all good and holy!" way. Warlocks however are willing to sacrifice, both themselves and lives and souls of others (Soul Shards) in order to accomplish their goal. Such an act is evil, but the Warlock in question may see it differently. "A few measly lives for the greater good".

Do note: Other Draenei might want to kill you IC for turning into Fel, if you reject their offer for "redemption" (being taken back to the Light).
Well... I got the idea that she would be very... Spider focused... with her being able to summon spiders... hypnotising people... MAYBE even grow six legs out of her back on will (that last one is a heck of a MAYBE) and controll spiders... I don't know... maybe som Draenei could think that would be unholy enough... (or the reason might be unholy)

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Wellsworth sure thinks it's unholy. Spiders are evil.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:54 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:Wellsworth sure thinks it's unholy. Spiders are evil.
Wells... don't you have a event to take care of? Do Ziiketh need to send spiders into her bed again?

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaraj Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 pm

First advice would be to ignore most of what the draenei roleplayers say that the draenei are supposed to be like, as they most of the time are just dickwads, something that might've been shown here. (which is ironic, seeing as im going to leave a few tips here)

My advice would be pretty much "go do the draenei quests and some outland quests pertaining to draenei culture and then make what you want of draenei culture." You could also read the wowpedia draenei article, although take the parts from the RPG book with a heavy grain of salt, as they are considered non-canon.

However, the problem with this becomes that the contrasts shown within draenic society in Warcraft are pretty black and white. The outcasts are pretty much the Eredar, who are just goofballs evil, and the Auchenai cult who are draenei caretakers who have been corrupted by shadow and are also goofballs evil. Then there are broken and the normal draenei, who are portrayed as lightie-lightie good guys. So creating something in between can be tricky.

The obvious reason for antipathy would be to disagree with Velen and the Naaru, but still hate the Eredar and the rest of the draenei. Considered they are revered and essentially worshipped, that wouldn't really go down to well with the rest of draenei society.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In this short story, for instance, there are some leaders amongst the draenei who are sort of bothered with how distant Velen is, and decide to make decisions on their own, showing that there could be some frustrations with how he leads, for instance.

Then you could have the fact that draenei might see themselves a bit wiser and experienced than most other races, and would embrace a more stoic attitude. An easy, fun going draenei who likes throwing parties might not be too popular as well. Then again, there are a lot of draenei comedic reliefs, so who knows.

As for spiders, well... It could sort of be like how some draenei despise shamanism and view it as inferior to the Light. So maybe draenei in general might dislike "naturalism", seeing as they don't have druids, for instance. Perhaps your character admire how spiders work in nature, considering they aren't really altruistic or giving. Certain spider babies, after all, swarm their mother and devour her. The Spider female eats the Spider male, and weird stuff like that. Depending on how god damned nuts your character is, maybe you feel that the general morality pervading draenei society is useless and all you care about are feeding your spider children. Why your draenei would think like that might take a bit of backstory.
Zaraj
Zaraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Tnecniw Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Zaraj wrote:First advice would be to ignore most of what the draenei roleplayers say that the draenei are supposed to be like, as they most of the time are just dickwads, something that might've been shown here. (which is ironic, seeing as im going to leave a few tips here)

My advice would be pretty much "go do the draenei quests and some outland quests pertaining to draenei culture and then make what you want of draenei culture." You could also read the wowpedia draenei article, although take the parts from the RPG book with a heavy grain of salt, as they are considered non-canon.

However, the problem with this becomes that the contrasts shown within draenic society in Warcraft are pretty black and white. The outcasts are pretty much the Eredar, who are just goofballs evil, and the Auchenai cult who are draenei caretakers who have been corrupted by shadow and are also goofballs evil. Then there are broken and the normal draenei, who are portrayed as lightie-lightie good guys. So creating something in between can be tricky.

The obvious reason for antipathy would be to disagree with Velen and the Naaru, but still hate the Eredar and the rest of the draenei. Considered they are revered and essentially worshipped, that wouldn't really go down to well with the rest of draenei society.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In this short story, for instance, there are some leaders amongst the draenei who are sort of bothered with how distant Velen is, and decide to make decisions on their own, showing that there could be some frustrations with how he leads, for instance.

Then you could have the fact that draenei might see themselves a bit wiser and experienced than most other races, and would embrace a more stoic attitude. An easy, fun going draenei who likes throwing parties might not be too popular as well. Then again, there are a lot of draenei comedic reliefs, so who knows.

As for spiders, well... It could sort of be like how some draenei despise shamanism and view it as inferior to the Light. So maybe draenei in general might dislike "naturalism", seeing as they don't have druids, for instance. Perhaps your character admire how spiders work in nature, considering they aren't really altruistic or giving. Certain spider babies, after all, swarm their mother and devour her. The Spider female eats the Spider male, and weird stuff like that. Depending on how god damned nuts your character is, maybe you feel that the general morality pervading draenei society is useless and all you care about are feeding your spider children. Why your draenei would think like that might take a bit of backstory.
HOLY SHIT! THANKS SO MUCH! (this is kinda what I was looking for)... I think I will be going with that... (though I have had the thought that she would have had the "connection" to spiders as long as she can remember...) but what do you think of the "abbilities I listed earlier? would they be too much? (especsially the legs from the back)

Tnecniw

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next