Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Iron Horde RP] Skyfury Clan (old topic!)

+24
Tantzui
Zouyo
Charlie Blazesong
Azmariel
Althaløs
Allonia_Miral
Rmuffn
Grim
Ralegh
Brugg
Lexgrad
Ixirar
Zinkle Figgins
Paia/Jenit
erwtenpeller
Thelos
Gnivil
Skarain
Gesh
Coppernut
Sohan
Krogon Devilstep
Gogol
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

[Iron Horde RP] Skyfury Clan (old topic!) - Page 2 Empty Re: [Iron Horde RP] Skyfury Clan (old topic!)

Post by Althaløs Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Hello!
Merely wondering; have you guys thought of including Garrisons in the role-play?

A possible problem some "evil/anti-heroic" guilds or groups may have is a local hub where people could casually RP together. That problem may be solved with Garrisons. And what I think is cool, is that the Iron Horde is very industrialized; so the creation of said garrisons could happen through role-play!

For example, if we decide to get into a un-touched area; we could role-play how we burn down the trees, work furnaces, grind stone, etc, etc, and build a "outpost" in said area through garrisons.

Of course it has limitations as well (and I imagine that most of the role-play would still happen outside of such secluded phased areas).

P.S: Blackrock Orcs could have quite a bit of fun with this, and I think it could add some side-flavor to any conquest role-play!
Althaløs
Althaløs

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

[Iron Horde RP] Skyfury Clan (old topic!) - Page 2 Empty Re: [Iron Horde RP] Skyfury Clan (old topic!)

Post by Ralegh Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 pm

We have discussed using Garrisons a lot as a home base of sorts.
As with everything in this concept so far it really depends on whatever more information we gain from the expansion.
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 am

Count me as tentatively interested in sticking an alt in this.
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:48 am

Thelos wrote:I hate to be that guy, but...

How are you going to role-play brown-skinned Orcs when your characters are necessarily green-skinned?
There's this wonderful new source of roleplaying power we like to call imagination!

<Jazz hands, fairy dust, dramatic exit>
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:05 am

But your own imagination will not turn green skin brown for anyone that:
- Doesn't have an add-on.
- Missed that one emote in which it was described.
- Refuses to suspend their disbelief for you.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:10 am

If someone really refuses to accept a very viable character appearance which simply isn't available in the character creation, then that's their own stubbornness shooting them in the foot.

The same thing could be said for anyone who has a character appearance not identical to the character models provided, that's a pretty large chunk of the role playing community..

Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:25 am

I think imagineering a different skin color is a different story then adding some details or posture changes.

Say you play an old, hunched over warlock orc. If you emote that consistently, the players you play with regularly will accept that, and take it into their role-play. The unbeknownst bystander though, might not, because they don't know! They will, however, still see an orc... Which is what you are.

Changing the skin color has a much greater impact about what your character represents, and thus causes a much bigger gap between what the observing player sees at first, and the amount of information they have to invest in to get to the level of imagination you are role-playing at.

I will give you the example of the frist incarnation of Huruma. It was a draenei character played as a Broken. And role-played really really well. The gear looked great, he emoted it with a fantastic style and flavor--- But still, there would constantly be things happening like someone trying to grab the tail. Broken don't have a tail; but Draenei do! So the model you see has a tail.

The same thing goes for the orcs. You can emote brown skin all you want, but the skin will still factually be green.

Now I'm not saying that it can't, or shouldn't be done. I'm just saying that you are asking a lot from those you role-play with. I personally think it would be better to add a bit of fluff that explains why your Iron guys have green skin.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:29 am

Perhaps will simply have to agree to disagree, as I've roleplayed with plenty of High Elves using human models and such other characters with similar situations and found very little extra effort is needed.
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:31 am

Alphel has a point, however I'm confident the community won't bash at us because we don't dress the part as long as we play it properly. We will delve into orcish lore and follow WoD/Iron Horde updates to see if we can find a good way to explain why we're different from the others. If you guys have any ideas, share them here!
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:33 am

Zinkle Figgins wrote:Alphel has a point, however I'm confident the community won't bash at us because we don't dress the part as long as we play it properly
Yub.
erwtenpeller wrote:But I do believe that having a player-faction of the Iron Horde will be valuable enough for role-play to work around that. Maybe it's a clan that's been painting themselves green for centuries to better stalk around in the Jungles? Maybe it's an outcast faction of the Iron Horde that was like "Fuck you! We're gonna have iron AND fel! Bwhahaah!"
---

Krelk wrote:Perhaps will simply have to agree to disagree, as I've roleplayed with plenty of High Elves using human models and such other characters with similar situations and found very little extra effort is needed.
You know what? Maybe I just ought to try it for a while again. See how the players around me respond, see how well keeping up the illusion works.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnivil Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:53 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:But your own imagination will not turn green skin brown for anyone that:
These could simply be avoided by (in the first two cases) correcting them in a whisper or other such things, many people already RP as Mag'har, Mok'nathal, Dragonmaw/Blackrocks, etc. this is not much more of a stretch at all. As for the first group, one can simply avoid them in RP, if this is much like 2GE a lot of the RP will be secluded on Draenor, with little to no contact with outside guilds.
Gnivil
Gnivil

Character sheet
Name: Gnivil
Title: Grand-Warden of the Eventide Vanguard

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:16 pm

gnivil wrote:
erwtenpeller wrote:But your own imagination will not turn green skin brown for anyone that:
These could simply be avoided by (in the first two cases) correcting them in a whisper or other such things, many people already RP as Mag'har, Mok'nathal, Dragonmaw/Blackrocks, etc. this is not much more of a stretch at all. As for the first group, one can simply avoid them in RP, if this is much like 2GE a lot of the RP will be secluded on Draenor, with little to no contact with outside guilds.
Actually I look forward to face the Alliance and the Horde on Draenor, I hope a lot of guilds are interested in WoD's plot-line.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:52 pm

As has been mentioned before, BWC are interested in this! Maybe as friende or as enemies, who knows!
I'm also sure its possible to even rp as green friends of the iron horde. Plenty of other guilds do things more ridiculous than that. After all, we have player led rulers of factions and people playint as various types of troll.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Blazesong Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Krelk wrote:Perhaps will simply have to agree to disagree, as I've roleplayed with plenty of High Elves using human models and such other characters with similar situations and found very little extra effort is needed.
*Whistles innocently*

Oh, and I really dont find that as much of a problem aslong they wait to aknowledge me until my trp pops up in their face and blinds them with the stunning racetag "Quel'dorei".
Charlie Blazesong
Charlie Blazesong

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Grim wrote:I'm also sure its possible to even rp as green friends of the iron horde.
I would much prefer to see that over players pretending their green orcs are brown.

But who knows! Maybe we'll see playable brownskins in WoD! In my honest opinion, they should have been added in Cataclysm-- Would have been the perfect time for it.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:03 pm

People has rp'd Mag'har and Mok'Nathal for years now, on this server. Why it would be an issue now I don't get.
Aslong as their trp/mrp or whatever mentions it, added with their emotes. Who cares? Roleplay is all about imagination.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:31 pm

If you want role-play to be all about imagination, you should role-play in an environment with no visual representation.

Like table-top, or play-by-post.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:If you want role-play to be all about imagination, you should role-play in an environment with no visual representation.

Like table-top, or play-by-post.
The graphics within World of Warcraft are limited, there's plenty of merit behind expanding those limitations but keeping yourself grounded, I mean the game supplies a great foundation, but if you were to take it all as literal when it came to visual representation you lose a lot of soul when it comes to interesting scenes, character appearances, etc.

I mean, when you draw your characters? do you just take a complete copy of the ingame model?

Anyway, I won't go on, were getting off topic!
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm

It's an interesting discussion, and part of the topic, no? Why else would it have come forward in this thread!

I'd like to take this opportunity that, while I am taking a strong stance on the subject in this discussion, I am not saying that you can't do this, or that I wouldn't have any part of it. I'm just pointing out some things and starting a healthy discussion about the subject.

I think it was worth pointing out! It's something to think about.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gesh Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm

I personally tend to favour roleplay where it comes down to.. well not imagination.. because theirs plenty of that without having brown skinned orcs, but more ' diplomatic' roleplay where it's easier going in the sense that certain qualities are taken off of say text, rather then what exists in game!

It just gives so much more freedom!
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnivil Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:05 pm

In fairness, while I still don't see too much of an issue with the guild pretending to be brown skinned, I do see that there is a difference between say, the odd green orc pretending to be a mok'nathal/mag'har and an entire guild of them
Gnivil
Gnivil

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Ultimately, it is up to the good people of this guild to decide for themselves how they want to approach this problem. I might end up not agreeing fully with their decision, but I will sure as hell respect it, seeing as there seems to be a ton of passion behind this guild and the will to make something out of it, which will always overcome technical limitations in the end.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:15 pm

I have a feeling that you'll be able to choose brown skin for the new orcs.
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Gnivil Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Allonia_Miral wrote:I have a feeling that you'll be able to choose brown skin for the new orcs.
I hope so.
Gnivil
Gnivil

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Should the brown skin become an unavailable, the clan can always be a clan from our time that goes to Draenor.. and then joins the Iron Horde.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next