Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current state of the RP community

+28
Kaleil Sunstrike
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Robi Kaezlan
Ixirar
erwtenpeller
Grim
Coppersocket
Cid
Finnabhair
Drustai
Gilran
Skarain
Rmuffn
Grufftoof
Dorik Thunderbelly
Lexgrad
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Melnerag
Feydor
Eodan
Ledgic
Thelos
Amaryl
siegmund
Zinkle Figgins
Sonitus
Vaell
Raenmar
32 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Current state of the RP community - Page 2 Empty Re: Current state of the RP community

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 pm

DB would also be released from your terrible gifs ;_;
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Current state of the RP community - Page 2 Empty Re: Current state of the RP community

Post by Amaryl Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Just a quick search, and I didn't even pick the 50% server dying threads. that pop, though if you want i can post the summer 2011, thread also.. but that will take some more looking for...

Like clockwork.

how do we keep managing is beyond me.

http://www.defiasrp.com/t600-defias-brotherhood-and-roleplay?highlight=State+of+Defias+brotherhood

http://www.defiasrp.com/t4115-current-state-of-db-rp?highlight=RP+state

http://www.defiasrp.com/t2575-current-state-of-rp?highlight=RP+state

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Well, DefiasRP has its advantages and its disadvantages. Whether it's a help or a hinderance on the whole, we can't really judge that yet. If it was opened up, advertised on the realm forum, and then another community-wide event was planned and advertised only through DefiasRP, I guess then we'd see if it manages to get across to all the RPers. Right now, at least, it doesn't seem to do that.

Just a quick search, and I didn't even pick the 50% server dying threads. that pop, though if you want i can post the summer 2011, thread also.. but that will take some more looking for...

Like clockwork.

how do we keep managing is beyond me.

The irony is, those threads show that RP is in decline. Look at the list of active RP hubs in Crojwin's thread from November 2011. How many of those RP hubs are still active to the extent they were previously?
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Arli wrote:[
Well you are Alliance after all so don't technically get to rp with us much anyway (although I do x-faction rp with others). My point was that there is too much "kung-fu panda" about them, I don't recall anyone claiming they would actively avoid rp with Worgen or Goblins like people have said they will with the incoming furries. I know quite a few roleplayers who have left the game because they saw no future for decent rp with the introduction of the Pandariens so saw little point in riding the low of the natural pre-expansion lull.

I'm not saying MoP has killed rp, just that it hasn't helped.

Your personal anecdotes are irrelevant. That was the point I was trying to make. I have personally not spoken to any person who said they would refuse to role-play with pandaren. Obviously that is because I am talking and playing with different people. Extrapolating an anecdote about a tiny part of the player-base on the entirety of it as a whole is what gets on my nerves.

Look.

People.

Numbers dwindle. Take it as a fact and stop trying to haphazardly think of explenations for it. Accept it as a natural occuring phenomenon. All of your precious theory-crafting about why the numbers dwindle is just hot air in the end. There is no evidence for anything whatsoever, safe for a few loud people shouting unfounded things.

I am getting incredibly sick of all the soothsaying, pessimism and complaining on these boards. Get on the goddamn game and just Role-play for the love of God, stop talking about doing something and just do it! This whole "Safe the rec centre" mentality is really feels like it is prying the nails from my fingers. You are not the chosen few vanguard trying to safe a dying noble race or whatever. You are just a tiny percentage of the player-base that will dwindle no matter what you do and why you think it does.

The game is going to die and there is nothing you can do about it, so you may as well make peace with it and enjoy it while it lasts, instead of getting depressed over it. Try to see the beauty in the finality and frailty of things, instead of desperately fighting fate.

Get over yourselves.

God, I need a break from these forums, and these threads in particular.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:34 pm

AD is nice Smile
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Thelos wrote:
God, I need a break from these forums, and these threads in particular.

Yes, yes you do. Go take a chill pill and stop taking things so personal Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Hows 5.0 Rogue pvp working for you? *troll face*
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:43 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Hows 5.0 Rogue pvp working for you? *troll face*
*scowls*

Thank gods they didn't nerf sap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Closing the forums entirely is a retarded idea. This builds community more so than the official forums. Putting events on the official is a good idea, however.

So many necessary ultimatums. Also, fuck the people who are demanding the forums be opened asap - If Ledgic is working on it, then it is good enough. No one has a right to demand the moderators to dedicate more time to it.

Enough ultimatums, just go and advertise the events - get permission from the posters if they don't want to do it themselves and enjoy RPing. Of course it has declined, but like Meln said - I can go online and find a shit tonne of people to RP with. It is still plentiful, there is no rush.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Arli wrote:
Lexgrad wrote:Hows 5.0 Rogue pvp working for you? *troll face*
*scowls*

Thank gods they didn't nerf sap.

haha

*prays that DKs stay under the nerf radar*

Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Raenmar wrote:

The irony is, those threads show that RP is in decline. Look at the list of active RP hubs in Crojwin's thread from November 2011. How many of those RP hubs are still active to the extent they were previously?

I'm not sure how that's irony?

But it is a known fact that hubs out-side cities don't last longer then 3 months max before falling down, and then it takes some time to start up again, mostly because random RP is low in hubs outside cities, and recruitment oppertunities are low too. that has always been the case.

And these threads always pop up after a week/3 weeks of lower activity because these hubs are in the low point.

event creation, is sadly resting on only a few people out of the entirety of the RP-base, and it is impossible to keep up events 24/7 without having a life. and even without a life you get tired of it, so people take breaks. but others don't pick up the mantle.

and suddenly their is a decline. this has always been so.

I'm not going to say that there aren't less RPers then in vanilla, but I am saying that the amount of Rpers around is more then enough to get RP when you want it.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Vaell wrote:No one has a right to demand the moderators to dedicate more time to it.

Didn't demand, just suggested a few improvements. I think you and Thelos need to go sit in a darkened room and listed to whales singing shit or something Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorik Thunderbelly Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Making the forum public, but still requiring an account to post anything sounds like a good idea. Have you taken a look at the Argent Dawn RP portal? http://www.argentarchives.org/
It's public too and it makes it so much easier for new people to find RP, events and guilds and stuff. And yes, there's less people in general these days, and not just RP'ers.

Like Thelos said, enjoy it while you can. The best way to attarct new RP'ers is to...well, be active and RP a lot yourself. When I ask new applicants how they found out about our guild, a lot of times it was because they had seen us RP'ing somewhere and it looked cool.
Dorik Thunderbelly
Dorik Thunderbelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Please go make threads and advertise events, hubs and ideas! If one thing you listen to on the above mess of opinions. Please do that!

People only stopped because they were sick of getting attacked/trolled/whatever on the Blizz forums.

"We" (the Mods here) have no right or want to enforce how any of you play or use the tools (yes, forums are tools) at your disposal (outside of our monitoring, moderating and enforcing of the rulesets and ideals of these forums.

Would it be cool if there were fewer spread RP servers, and a more concentrated number of RPers over fewer servers? Sure! But that isn't happening. And if it did I can well imagine half of the buggers here would moan about it anyway, because your own, personal, precious game and areas would change.

And change is obviously bad, right?

No. It isn't.

It's why the Moderators here are working actively to sort these forums, and listening to suggestions. Because some ideas are worth acting on. You're not all hopeless naysayers and cretinous fools.

Some of you are. But we always knew that, didn't we? You probably did yourselves. It's ok. The first steps towards change are accepting where you're currently standing!

There's plenty enough in the game to do. And there will be more when MoP hits. When people get tired of GW2. When people go back to University. When X Y or Z happens.

There's an obvious flow of people and events. There's an obvious drop too. Thelos is right, the game will evnetually slow, slow and shrink. One day it will end.

But that day isn't today. It isn't even soon.

So get off these fucking whining and worrying threads. The amount of time and effort spent doing this is the only thing that seems to be growing!

Go and make some events. Go advertise them. Go do whatever you bloody well want. It could even be fun.

But stop bloody faffing and start playing the game you're worrying so much about.

Personally:

I wish people would step outside of Internet Time (time truly is distorted when it comes to people online).

I wish people would realise that things don't happen because they say they should happen. That they don't happen instantly "because we want them to".

That things cycle, that doesn't mean they stagnate. That things change, that doesn't mean they end.

That just because you're vocal, doesn't make your opinion any more valid. That the quiet voice can usually carry the message far more eloquently and better than the same tired tirades.

I'd say I'm tired of this shite. But I'm not. If I was I'd step down, I've no contract to serve the people. I just want to. But by the gods, I wish people would enjoy the game, enjoy life.

And quit fucking worrying.

Edit: I'm quite aware that the above took time to produce, and as such the hypocrisy abounds at me telling people to quit these worry threads and start enjoying. But that's my hypocrisy, and as such above yours. I hate everyone's hypocrisy, apart from my own, afterall.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Arli wrote:
Vaell wrote:No one has a right to demand the moderators to dedicate more time to it.

Didn't demand, just suggested a few improvements. I think you and Thelos need to go sit in a darkened room and listed to whales singing shit or something Very Happy

No, I'm not angered by anything. Personally, I've never had a problem with RP in the slightest. I think that most people who struggle bring it on themselves. Whining never solved anything.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I'll drop the "lol lets delete diz forumz" as I suppose it's not very productive in the end due to several reasons.

To be more productive:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2290800811

That link. It should get updated, or remade if Jemerick lacks the time. And why did Blizz never sticky it? >.>

(Edit: naturally the same goes for the horde equivalent.)
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:54 pm

all the pple who want the forum gone are jelly of my amazing post count

Zinkle Figgins wrote:MoP is coming out in a few weeks, let's see what happens then. I'm very confident.

yes

and maek forum public pls

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Zinkle Figgins wrote:MoP is coming out in a few weeks, let's see what happens then. I'm very confident.

This. I reserve an opinion 'till one or two months after MoP.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Grufftoof wrote: You're not all hopeless naysayers and cretinous fools.

Some of you are. But we always knew that, didn't we? You probably did yourselves. It's ok. The first steps towards change are accepting where you're currently standing!

I am insulted by the idea that being a hopeless naysayer an a cretinous fool is a bad thing, in dire need of changing.

Good sir!

This will not stand, not stand I tell you!

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:20 pm

The take it sitting.

Kneeling down. Or bending over. However you wish.

FNAR. etc.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Current state of the RP community?
Quiet, but nowhere from dead. Thelos got a point, but the end is -very- far.

Create events? Create Roleplaying?

We are.

-Sophyra's cult is going good thus far, growing day by day and many plots going.
-Gilran had the idea of a War Council not long ago, it will kick out in time.
-Longknife is trying to re-create Gilnean RP.
-I am developing a character concept for the Dark Side, a true pain in Lighties arse to be, to promote roleplaying.
-I am holding the Arcane Conclave on Friday, to promoting the mage-roleplaying.
-I will clear up Villains and Outlaws section inside a few days. Update and renew structure, to promote roleplaying.
-I intend to help the Dark Reckoning guild in any way i can, to promote roleplaying.
-I intend to create a huge open event akin to SW Community meetings, where people can tell a bit of themselves to those who does not read forums of any kind, to bring new Roleplayers and again... promote roleplaying.

^That includes only what -i- know is going to happen. Roleplaying will never die. Moderators are working with their forums, you do what -you- can meanwhile.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Skarain, we need one of you Horde side. Any gnomish engineer able to make me a cloning machine?

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Arli, I do intend to wander to the Horde side at times with my Half-elf bard, even with the risk of human-hating character death. (she looks more of a human than an elf)

If my time allows, i'll do what i can.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Arli wrote:Skarain, we need one of you Horde side. Any gnomish engineer able to make me a cloning machine?

Indeed, any "Enhanced features" You wish the clone to have?

*Cough*

Well i'll be back in game in a day or two, and Try and start off some more Expeditioning with the 'Lancers. Currently we have a lot of "Cultists, death knights and anything else evil" trying to mess with our minds icly. Still there are still plenty of lands to explore. Still a reminder: "About 4 members beside me did a "Pre-Tararis intro expedition" Where i tested out some ideas, it went well. The treasures are still out there so if anyone is interesed, if not i'll either Whisper spam a guild or just spam in general chat: "Rp Expedition to tanaris any rper welcome! Whisp for Details."

Heck, we actually took in a lot of more fresh Rpers in our time, but i'd be glad if anyone has any ideas for Small Expeditions or Anything else.

siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:17 pm

First of all, nobody has "demanded" anything, given any "ultimatum", or done anything of the fucking sort. Perfectly reasonable and beneficial suggestions were given, and I still haven't seen anyone give any reason as to why they wouldn't work or why they can't be done.

Secondly, the only people complaining and whining are the people QQing that anyone dares ask the community to take its collective head out of its collective ass for a minute to look at the situation. I'm certainly not complaining at all. But of course, any form of suggestion or constructive criticism toward this community is fucking whining and naysaying that will never come to pass.

Thirdly, I've even stated before, I'm well aware that any RP community will die. It's inevitable. I never even remotely suggested otherwise. Just because it's inevitable doesn't mean it needs to happen now. There are still loads of RPers in WoW. But they're primarily on AD. Now, I wonder, why the fuck is that? Is it because Argent Dawn comes before Defias Brotherhood in the alphabet? No. There is a reason why AD is as popular as it is. People choosing one server over another isn't a natural occurrence. Popularity isn't based on some random factor. If that was the case, Blizzard wouldn't have a marketing department, and each RP server would have equal amounts of players.

Even if DB RP isn't getting any smaller (yeah, let's bury our heads in the sand and ignore the blatantly obvious, for the sake of argument), what the fuck is the problem with trying to make an RP community that's more accessible/more interesting/more varied/whatever, through collective suggestions and initiatives and working as an RP community as a whole?

I fully expect an incoming page of hate/denial/hypocrisy. But the response to any form of criticism or suggestion just demonstrates the point I'm making.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next