Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current state of the RP community

+28
Kaleil Sunstrike
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Robi Kaezlan
Ixirar
erwtenpeller
Grim
Coppersocket
Cid
Finnabhair
Drustai
Gilran
Skarain
Rmuffn
Grufftoof
Dorik Thunderbelly
Lexgrad
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Melnerag
Feydor
Eodan
Ledgic
Thelos
Amaryl
siegmund
Zinkle Figgins
Sonitus
Vaell
Raenmar
32 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Current state of the RP community - Page 5 Empty Re: Current state of the RP community

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:56 am

Perturbo wrote:But guys then I can't talk to you Sad((
Yeah I think you've said before....besides, no one is saying abandon this forum just we need more of a show that we are a role-playing realm on the Blizz forum. I do think twice before posting on Blizz forums about roleplay simply because of the trolls AND how it can escalate into a bitch-fest rage which really does our server more harm than a lack of rp-themed posts.

You got a ban from the Blizz forum, they tend not to do it on a whim so maybe time to move on and just let it go Wink

Back to top Go down

Current state of the RP community - Page 5 Empty Re: Current state of the RP community

Post by Kittrina Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Just on the applications; we have them for the Blades, just to get a general idea that the person understands the basics of rp (what is a god-emote? and so forth), and understands the guild concept. Beforehand we had a lot of people join the Blades expecting a heroic-goody-two-shoes type of thing. So we ask; We're a Merc guild, how does this character feel about killing for gold? For example.
There isn't a particular right or wrong answer, it's just a case of making sure they fully understand what the guild is and the sort of ic mindset involved.

The main thing I'd say in support of them; they're for the applicants benefit, as much as the officers. We don't want anyone joining that'll not genuinely enjoy themselves, and if they need information, or are new to rp, it's better to know so we can help or provide guidance.

The only times we decline have been when the back-story has been immensely out of line with lore (in which case we try to help rather than a flat-out-no), once due to the player being extremely young, and otherwise for ic reasons (Such as presently, the guild being extremely cautious of anything that smells like a cultist Razz)
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadok Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Defiasrp serves its purpose, but for the realm forums to become an active and valuable place for the RP community, we need two things (at least as far as I'm concerned):
  • Up-to-date (and preferably stickied) RP guild lists for both factions. These are one of the first resources that new and returning players check, and function as a tool and a sign that our community remains vibrant. The two gentlemen maintaining the old guild lists seem to have moved on - I could certainly make an attempt at reviving the Horde list, but we need someone on team blue too.
  • RP discussion. Other than guild recruitment threads and the occasional RP vs PvP flamefest (which helps nobody), what else is there on the realm forums? Having discussion topics similar to those in the In-Character and Game Related sections of these forums would start the ball rolling, as it were, and make the realm forums a place worth checking and posting in. Of course, the obvious danger is trolling and flamebaiting, but it remains the surest way to establish an actual RP presence on the realm forums.
That's just my tuppence at least.
Sadok
Sadok

Character sheet
Name: Sadok Sharptongue
Title: High Blade Thur'ruk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:02 pm

I think many people are underrestimating the value of the official forums. Just look at the Roleplaying section. There are hardly any trolls there at all. I noticed Faylum once tried to troll a thread, but none even took notice of it.

On the matter of guild application, one of the detering factors is that I must make an account first, wait for confirmation email before writing what people know already. I spoke to a friend who had been a member of a roleplaying guild for two months, and then the guild set up a website, which she was required to apply on. I mean, that is just silly and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Applications are to me only an attempt to make what is considered joy and entertainment feel more proffessional.

Again, just my two cents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Personally I'm extremely wary of the Realm forums and tend to avoid them at all costs. I'm sure this is a minority view but I know I'm not the only one who'd rather chew off their own toes than ever venture into those dens of iniquity.

I think if you want to drum up interest in RP then just drum up some interest in RP. You don't have to resort to spamming the Realm forums and the utterly, utterly unavoidable shit-storms that kick off there and you don't have to resort to opening these forums up for everyone in the world to join. You've just go to get out there in the game and make RP look fun.

The three bigger problems I've witnessed in game that put the masses off roleplaying are:
1) They assume its something that only sad, lonely people do
2) Some (not all) guilds and roleplayers come across as very hostile and elitest
3) It simply doesn't look as fun as PVP or PVE

How to fix these?
1) Possibly unfixable if I'm honest. The only way this opinion changes is when people actually bother RPing and learn for themselves.
2) Make a conscious effort to get out there and RP. Don't ignore people who hesitantly try to RP for the first time, don't attack them IC, don't wander off and pretend they don't exist etc.
3) Run public, cool, violent and awesome events!

Basically, we can't improve the RP scene on this server unless we try to make RP more obvious and more obviously fun.

((I've just noticed the hypocrisy in my own post here. Railing against the Realm forums whilst encouraging people to get out there and RP with people. Maybe I just have a Realm-forum-aphobia?!))
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 pm

If we all post in the "good" threads and ignore the "bad" threads, the realm forums shall be mended!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:08 pm

people so naive thinking all their precious rp threads won't have trollz in 'em. so young so young

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Pretty much what Pert said really. I'd like to see the realm forums populated by roleplayers again, but what are the chances, if people are entirely honest, that each and every attempt will not be trolled massively?
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 pm

And? There will always be trolls; let them troll.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Unfortunately that sort've defeats the purpose of posting on the realm forum. Again, I'm sure we'd all like to see some form of presence there for the RP community, but will a new RP'er think any better of the realm forums if all they see is the bitching that will come from the trolling?

It's one of those vicious cycle things.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm

So don't bitch about the trolls.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Report the trolls and ignore, if they show up again ticket a blue and get them perma-banned. Not much else to do.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:24 pm

It doesnt have to be a choice between this forum and the realm one maybe...

Just if you are going to do an event in a safe area, post it up and see what happens. I wouldnt post "5 RPers in crap gear go to darkshire wearing bright colours" threads as you will be eaten. But for blue shield RP we could post it, I doubt there are that many trolls and even if there are Trolls you can /ignore campers you cant.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Y'know we could impress all these apparent new roleplayers just as much with an openly viewable forum(which we have last i checked) and having it like, shown on top of the realm forum like always? either by bumping ta fuck(with real posts not spam as that gets locked) or just by a sticky again though for a sticky we need to get rid of those ads above as they can have gold sellers in 'em and blizz no like.

That and making the application process more clear, since there always seems to be confusion. I always felt even the word "vouch" was a bad first impression. A vouch is telling someone that they are good/skilled and worthy to be picked, while what the application process wants is like a confirmation that it's the same person. That's all, and people have misinterpreted that for like, as long as this forum has been out.

yup

EDIT: top of the realm forum i mean*

Last edited by Perturbo on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I'd kinda agree with Perturbo's points above. This forum is pretty confusing to sign up to.
I remember signing up and wondering why I couldn't do anything for a week before realising I needed to apply.

I'm not saying the application process is a bad thing, just that it could be clearer for the newbies.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:10 pm

Of course the realm forums will get trolled. Any events outside of blueshield zones will get ganked. What do we do? Hide away where it isn't gonna happen? No. If we do that, things with stagnate and fall apart.

If people had the right attitude, we could easily put the realm forums to use. Reporting and ignoring can be done. Yeah, they'll probably continue for a while at least, but that has no effect on us getting the knowledge of the RP community out there.

And people knowing about the RP is a start. Sure, some will leave because of trolls. But some will stay.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aladras Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

who wants to rp
Aladras
Aladras

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:16 pm

NO! First we must argue about how we talk about how we RP!

EDIT: grammar failz

Last edited by Perturbo on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Perturbo wrote:NO! First we must argue about how we talk about we RP!

QFT
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:49 pm

It's funny cause it's true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:45 pm

derailing threads that involves talking about rp because we should be rping instead ok

no
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:34 am

Just joined the LFRP channel! I hope everyone will =) And it seems the realm forums are getting more active a little bit, which I like. Do not fear (and especially do not feed!) the trolls! Just report them.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5