Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept]

+15
siegmund
erwtenpeller
Melnerag
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Kristeas Sunbinder
Ixirar
Zalissa
Skarain
Muzjhath
Rae Wulfgnar
Rmuffn
Norrian/Chezz
Aadaria-Ioanna
Drustai
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept] Empty The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept]

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:20 am

So I and a few friends have been toying about with the idea of a new type of villain in regards to roleplay. Zealous vigilante's
that target any magic users, ultimately the Kirin Tor with the sole purpose of purging the use of Magic from the existence
of modern day Azerothian Alliance society. This goes for anything from your lowly street performer to your high and mighty
Archmage. Their ideals, or their reasoning behind this, would be that Magic in their eyes has been the bane of existence since
the day the world became sundered thousands of years ago. It has birthed the the undying Scourge, the bloodthirsty Orcish
Horde, Demonic legions onto Azeroth and thus must be purged. One cannot simply purge Magic itself, so, they resolve to send
out a message. Practice the arts of Arcane, Fel, Blood or Shadow and you will be purged.

Now, they'd be realistic and know fully that they'd never accomplish such things alone. Their efforts would be focussed, at least
initially, upon fear tactics directed at the Alliance Magic community. Namely, murder, beatings, torchings, branding etc etc of
known Magi, Druids, Shaman's, Death-Knight's and Warlocks. You get the picture.

Mage Hunters, Templars, Witch-Hunters, zealous Paladin's, Rogues.. The list could go on really. With sufficient reasoning behind
it, we believe many characters could fill this 'concept'. Say, you're wife/lover died during the Scourge wars and you still feel justice
has not been met. You're a veteran Paladin and old, more traditional values leaves you bitter toward naive, reckless Magi who have
time and time again left you with the responsibility of dealing with their failures. Perhaps you're a victim of Cults or
Shadowmancers/Warlocks devastating plot to wreak havoc, losing much you cared for and vowing to never to allow such a thing to
happen again. -at all costs.-

Well. Within an Order/Guild setting, we've came up with somewhat of a 'mock' description. Before reading on, think to yourself, is
this something you'd be interested in following? Being involved with? Opposing or aiding? If you're a Magic roleplayer, do you seek
such rivalry and/or opposition? Or are you comfy with the way things currently are?

The Order would be entirely stooped in secrecy. There'd be no public dealings or tabards. Members wouldn't sit in an HQ and wait
for a buzzer to sound to be called into action, no. I'd imagine they'd be out there, amongst society. They'd be living their lives,
working entirely covertly. Now and then you may find the more zealous of members calling out "For the Light!" or "You have been
cleansed of your Arcane taint, rejoice!" when beheading a lone and vulnerable Magi, but that's down to consequence and player
choice.

I've leave it there for now, I just wanted to put this out there. Let me know what you think, criticism, feedback, suggestions.. all welcome.

Thanks.

----

Some updates are:

What about Spellbreakers and people who don't want their character to die?

Alright so we considered this too. We know that not all people want their character to die. Besides from what we stated before, beating and branding (It all comes down to the severity of the situation/personal choice of the character as to how a 'victim' is dealt with), we had the idea of temporary/permanent Magical nullification. A debuff applied, by the Light we imagined, that blocks the person from tapping into any source of power for an agreed ammount of time. So Spellbreakers wouldn't be killed. They'd be asked to join their ranks and take the debuff. As their intentions were right by their values.

What about people who'd be interested in this concept but are already tied down to a guild?

Upon considering this, the way the concept is mapped out in our heads -currently- we believe we could even -better- pull it off as an OOC network or association. An IC 'party', political/religious/other that spans across guilds that anyone can join, albeit being VERY difficult to do so. They can then meet up and go about their Mage hunting business. Something we'd likely go about doing in the earlier days than jump straight into creating a guild. Baby steps.

So why did you throw Druids, Shamans and Death Knights into the mixing pot?

Well at the core of the concept, Arcane spellcasters and the Kirin Tor would be the primary target here. Though, as stated, a vast majority of people here would or could get involved for their own reasoning, which may vary greatly from others or the core motives. Some may even deem the Light as unfit for use, and I'd say that'd be interesting for roleplay. Rifts may form, in-fighting may spring up. The concept is still very much up on the drawing bored, so don't take anything here as final.

A few updates! 17/07/2012

Firstly, we've decided to whittle the concept down to ensure we don't spread ourselves thin or basically try
and take on the world. The primary focus of this movement is the eradication of all things Arcane and any
byproduct of Arcane from Stormwind and its surrounding lands.

Secondly, this will be an unguilded order/operation/effort/group/whatever with the potential to bring
about a guild
if a core group decides to dedicate characters to the cause.

Thirdly, we will be holding private meetings, rallying events, group/party hunts, gatherings and so on.
However, being a part of such is not a requirement. Those who do not partake in actual community events are
free to jump in and out at their leisure and/or act on their own accord. However, you may feel a tad
disjointed from the narrative or the overall progress of the efforts.

Finally, the magic community, of which we would inevitably ICly oppose, I have been asked to remind of the
nullification debuff (as there has not been much comment on it here.)
and ask of you if any would oppose the
use of this OOCly. OOCly speaking, we'd rather not kill off your character (even if we could, which is doubtful.)
and we'd like to find an alternative for those of you who don't want to give up playing your lovely Mages just yet.

We'd still like to capture that feeling of peril or danger when dealing with these people throughout the Magic
community, however. Would such a debuff have this effect, do you think?

The idea would be that sure.. We go about beating Mages to a bloody pulp, fight them, torture them, treat them like
dirt. Yet being Humans, to explain our OOC reluctance in actually killing (unless they're Fel or Shadow users), we'd
propose we value the Human life IC and be reluctant to take it unless necessary. This is where the 'debuff' comes in.

OOCly, the duration and the use of it agreed upon by the Mage and the other guy'(?). It'd then be applied. The effect of
this would be an inability to tap into any source of power thus rendering the spellcaster powerless. This would only be
applied in the stead of life or death situations, the spellcaster would very much be in a position they cannot escape from
or defend against.

So, thanks for reading and we're eager to hear your feedback.

p.s. Ask as many questions as you like, don't be shy. I love answering questions.

Last edited by Helmfrid on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:48 am; edited 10 times in total
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet
Name: Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Title: Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept] Empty Re: The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept]

Post by Drustai Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 am

Sounds very interesting, I've actually been wanting something like this for quite awhile now. I approve! Both as a target to be hunted, and as a hunter of hunters (working with Kirin Tor to hunt down you rogues!).
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept] Empty Re: The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept]

Post by Aadaria-Ioanna Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:02 am

I do like the concept. Its about time someone does do something like this.
I had plans on a less brutal approach on Cendia, with working to ensure that magic is not abused and used without need as the Kirin Tor states, had it not been for the need of magic they would abolish it entirely. Aka make people not use it.

My own view however on magic is... (personal view) that magic = Manipulation of energy, through the use of your own will, by training up your focus, increasing your power and studying.

With this I like to state:
You are not born a shaman forexample, you can train to be one.

To me also:
by my definition of magic, all users of power = magic.
This list does not just include mages, but also druids, priest, paladins, warlocks, necromancers. *Cough* death knights Razz

Now, they'd be realistic and know fully that they'd never accomplish such things alone. Their efforts would be focussed, at least initially, upon fear tactics directed at the Alliance Magic community. Namely, murder, beatings, torchings, branding etc etc of

To me if you put druids and shamans into this, no matter the lore, no matter fallen paladins, how priests of lights can turn to shadow. Add druids and in ways also shamans into this mix and then to me in my sense of logic; not taking in the priests and paladins makes little sense.

Any being of power can be taught to abuse the power. Any being with powers to heal have powers to learn to take it..

When you use magic on someone, you use energy on someone. If you can learn to manipulate energy, draw power from ley lines, nature, the light, you can learn to withdraw it.. Take it from others. Also an aspect rarely played on in the game, but it is the same as Reiki healing: They use one hand to take out the "bad energy", and use the other to give "good, mending energy" to you. Its not that simple, no, but the concept is pretty much that simple when narrowed down.

So for one who has been studying "various means of magic" on an ooc basis. And read some lore. I am not that good on recalling names however and examples at this time of the night is hard to smack up. But this is my only concern really.

If you go zealot against magic.. You should take them all and not leave paladins and priests out.. It can be claimed that one can not corrupt the light.. But.. alas there is the balance and anything and everyone can be corrupted. All magics and powers can.

So this is my five copper! Love the concept, but would love to see and hear the ic ((explained ooc of course as you wont really march crusade like around putting people on pyres:) )) reasoning as to why:

Shamans and druids are deemed "dangerous and evil", when priests and paladins are not. My ic argument had I ever been given the chance to speak out as to why shamans and druids are not bad:

To me icly as well as oocly for the matter I divide it like this:
Magic that grants life and can heal = good. This means: priests, druids, shamans and paladins.
Magic that is addictive and easily corrupted, to be considered dangerous and in means evil:
Arcane, fel, nercomancy, bloodmagic. I almost forgot, death knights too of course.

Now.. there can be a thousand debates on why I divide it in this manner and its by far not as easy as what I just wrote but that would be the easy version.

This is my only real concern about this. I fear had I icly heard about the "plan" I would have pondered this bit to a great extent. ^^

But this plan does have my two copper ^^

Aadaria-Ioanna
Aadaria-Ioanna

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://shadesofreflection.forumocean.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:34 am

Aadaria-Ioanna wrote:To me also:
by my definition of magic, all users of power = magic.
This list does not just include mages, but also druids, priest, paladins, warlocks, necromancers. *Cough* death knights Razz

Now, they'd be realistic and know fully that they'd never accomplish such things alone. Their efforts would be focussed, at least initially, upon fear tactics directed at the Alliance Magic community. Namely, murder, beatings, torchings, branding etc etc of

To me if you put druids and shamans into this, no matter the lore, no matter fallen paladins, how priests of lights can turn to shadow. Add druids and in ways also shamans into this mix and then to me in my sense of logic; not taking in the priests and paladins makes little sense.

It doesn't have to make sense. It's a matter of religion. Some more skeptical people might consider them all forms of magic (as your post says), while those who are religious would see the Light as divine while arcane magic is a corrupting influence on life, and that the two are not similar at all. This is good for in-character conflict. Some members of this organization might want to include priests/paladins, whereas other members might not. It should not really be decided OOCly, I think. If the organization is started/lead by rampant, zealous priests, then it likely wouldn't include priests and paladins in its list of targets. If it's started/lead by a skeptic misotheist, however, then it would.

It's not a matter of sense. Indeed, this kind of thing is actually more about emotion and fear than about rational thought. It's about people placing the blame of the world's evil on magic because they've been hurt by it, they're scared of it, or they're jealous of those who wield it. Therefore, each individual will likely have different views about what constitutes as 'magic'.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norrian/Chezz Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 am

Hmmm... My Chezz might evolve into such a person. As Drustai said, every person will have his own reason for doing it. But I won't be joining the guild. Smile Ping me when you get this going.
Norrian/Chezz
Norrian/Chezz

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://last.fm/user/icetorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:11 am

Oh my god Helm don't tempt me!!! :'( You know Lesandra would join that in a heartbeat.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wulfgnar Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:32 am

Tssh..Where is the name of the person who mentioned this idea to you and spurred you on! The Nexus War, round two [OOC Order/Guild concept] M009
Rae Wulfgnar
Rae Wulfgnar

Character sheet
Name: Sir Rae Josephas Wulfgnar
Title: Chaplain of the Disciples of Light

http://akhirah.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:12 am

((Had I actually been active on the alliance side I think I would have made a character for this initiative very quickly. As it stands, I'm not >:
And my character would most likely be an unbeliever and think that even preachers and paladins should leave "using powers not ment for the hands of mortals" to other things. ))
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:05 pm

I like!

As a player of 3 spellcaster characters i approve this idea! During my time in Chapter i actually though concepts of mage-hunting, all mages, not just Cultists, but it never got further than planing.

It'll be amusing to see if there is even Arcane magic users hunting mages, and the inner conflict it would creater inside the organisation.

(Atheramis, i think you just found your place. Best way to prevent Demons being summoned is to "scare" the summoners Very Happy)

If you get this going feel free to bump on any of my mages at any time, preferably without a warning. Do note, i accept character death, but use IC reasoning if it is worth it.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:16 pm

Lovely idea, I'd like to see it in motion. I'm open for Alorah being a target of hunting if you get this going, since no one is as tongue in cheek with magic than she is! I'm also open to character death etc. Hope everything works out.
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet
Name: Zalissa Sparrow
Title: The Pirate Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Epic plot twist would be that these guys employed divine(read: shadow) magic to counter the arcane energies, making them the legal criminals!
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:33 pm

What are the odds that you are going to crash something into the sunwell?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:What are the odds that you are going to crash something into the sunwell?

If they employ draenei pilots, somewhere around 95%
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Norrian/Chezz Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Skarain wrote:

(Atheramis, i think you just found your place. Best way to prevent Demons being summoned is to "scare" the summoners Very Happy)

Yeah... No Very Happy That would be an evil deed. Killing and hurting people for what they are is not the Demon Hunter's style. But Chezzy does have a small curse and hates magic in the gut.
Norrian/Chezz
Norrian/Chezz

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://last.fm/user/icetorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I'd hope people for their own reasons go about this in their own way to be honest. What I put forward is merely an example, to be honest. At its core the concept is to spark some friction and opposition between the Magic community and.. well.. any who wish to oppose it, really. As opposed to it always being Light vs. Shadow.

At the very least, I could even see a Blacksmith seeing endless week and week of poor trade due to more efficient Magical based crafting services building a grudge and a bit of prejudice against Magic users.

The initiative would be to spark this and nothing saying you'd have to be part of a guild/order to go about it. The idea of a guild or order came about for those solely dedicated to opposing the use of Magic, there's no reason why someone who isn't a part of said potential order/guild or even cooperate or like the guild/order and not be a part of this concept.

As said, anyone from the common man to the high standing zealot/templar could find something to do within this concept. Hell, even a psychotic murderer looking for an excuse to spoil some peoples day could jump on the bandwagon. Or why not someone who believes Science is the way forward and that Magic is a thing of the past?

The Kirin Tor and Magic roleplay community has become well established on the server. Rather than picking on the little man, or going the overly done Light vs. Shadow route, we thought with said reasoning this could spark up some interesting conflict in our roleplay.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Spoiler:

This idea would be a welcome change from the rash of cultism, and give a nice counter to the Arcanists of Defias. Often when fighting a cult, shadowmancer, or warlock I've felt as if they are the Light's enemy (Disciples of Light, Chapter of Holy Anethion, and so forth) so having a congregate of diametrically opposed Magic-Haters would give an interesting tension. Before making Arenfel I'd considered a concept along these lines myself, and I'm thrilled to see somebody run with it.

It would seem a bit odd that you would merge Druidism, Shamanism, and other divine/mystic schools of magic in with the horrors of Arcane and Fel; but they do cause some nasty problems all by themselves. Lookin' at you Thrall... Fandral Staghelm... Archbishop Benedictus...

Arenfel is a perfectly viable target, I'd gladly allow you to try and chase down the old magical bastard. Unless (I kill him off and re-roll a magic-hunter) we get you first, of course.

Keep up the good work, much love for this!
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:36 pm

I like this concept. I once had an arcane-hating druid, but sadly this group also hates druids. Alas! Alas!
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 am

Aadaria-Ioanna wrote:I am special!
No need to put your post in a different font and size as all the others, you precious special little thing you.

--

Anyway, cool concept. Very Dragon Age. If I ever do pop in on Delidah you can come and try to kill her. She's everything these guys would hate Very Happy
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am

Hmm, i see possible alliances between the Dark/Arcane magic users to combat these new pests. Although it would result in betrayals, backstabbing, mayhem and best of all Good Rp .
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Aadaria-Ioanna Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:41 pm

erwtenpeller wrote:
Aadaria-Ioanna wrote:I am special!
No need to put your post in a different font and size as all the others, you precious special little thing you.

--

Anyway, cool concept. Very Dragon Age. If I ever do pop in on Delidah you can come and try to kill her. She's everything these guys would hate Very Happy

Hehehe. I am not more special than anyone else Razz Tsk tsk tsk and you know this well;) I simply do prefer making sure I am understood and that people can read it. *spanks*
Aadaria-Ioanna
Aadaria-Ioanna

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://shadesofreflection.forumocean.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:45 pm

I found that font to be harder to read Very Happy
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Seriff fonts are generally considered easier to read on paper, but harder on screen, while sans-seriff fonts shine better on screem and worse on paper.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:37 am

Hi guys. I've updated the main post, clearly marked, with some.. updates. Please have a quick skim through and let us know what you think.

Thanks!
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 am

I think the 'debuff' sounds like a good idea. I like the concept in general - sounds like fun Smile
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldric Essalus Helmfrid Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 am

As a note, the 'debuff' would ICly be intended to last a lifetime, however, in our haste we have not perfected the ritual and is having some annoying effects such as not lasting as long as intended. Those who rely more heavily on the use of Magic would likely be able to shake it off within a matter of weeks.

As a final note for tonights updates, we're considering welcoming any Alliance race. I brought up some points of Kal'dorei possibly being prime candidates for this, possibly Draenei too for their lore and history with Arcane. I'm not arguing for it, but I'd like to know if my efforts in opening the doors to any Alliance race for this concept would be appreciated by the community. In short, would any non-Humans be interested in this? Or any who wish to play a non-Human?

Thanks.
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next