Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussion on Creative Agenda

Go down

Discussion on Creative Agenda Empty Discussion on Creative Agenda

Post by Aleric Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Here's the transcript from the meeting regarding Creative Agenda. Feel free to comment.

21:28:54 [Aleric]: The main topic I wanted to discuss tonight is creative agenda.
21:29:39 [Aleric]: The reason is because I, as a Pen and Paper roleplayer, have had great use of learning about this and finding words for things that I already know.
21:39:48 [Aleric]: Personally I'd like to call them story, achievement and immersion. Note that they are not mutually exclusive.
21:40:09 [Rohwyn]: I like those terms better.
21:40:10 [Rohwyn]: -nod-
21:40:40 [Aleric]: Anyway! Since I'm not getting paid to hold a lecture for you, I'm going to jump right in.
21:41:04 [Aleric]: First of all, comments so far on what I said. Agreement or disagreements.
21:41:10 [Aleric]: Anyone?
21:41:19 [Rohwyn]: Sounds reasonable, though I think most of us have a combination of those goals.
21:41:30 [Rohwyn]: Not mutually exclusive, as you said.
21:41:33 [Toulson]: interesting stuff
21:42:27 [Aleric]: I think the important part here is to learn to identify our creative agenda and those of the people we RP with. For instance, gamism and narrativism can clash quite easily.
21:43:05 [Rohwyn]: i.e. a problem between people with set goals and those who want to watch their characters' stories simply unfold, perhaps?
21:44:18 [Aleric]: More like what is important for that particular person.
21:45:02 [Aleric]: ...Which isn't mutually exclusive with what you said. Sorry, my bad.
21:45:13 [Rohwyn]: Not to worry.
21:45:31 [Aleric]: It's the approach you have to RP. For instance, myself, I tend to lean heavily towards story.
21:45:37 [Rohwyn]: I think it's interesting, just hrm, probably something for each of us to think about: what motivates us?
21:45:53 [Rohwyn]: I would imagine story is the most common 'main' one.
21:46:08 [Aleric]: Yes. Why play the character that you do? What do you wish to gain from it?
21:46:19 [Kittrina]: It's an interesting thing to think about but...well. In each guild there's going to be a very wide range, I don't see how a guild approach can be summed up unless it's a very tight/specific concept.
21:46:30 [Gustajc]: ^
21:46:54 [Kittrina]: I suppose what I'm saying is, how does this link in with improvving/helping the SW community as a whole?
21:47:15 [Aleric]: I'd say the Legacy of Dawn, RP wise, is about simulationism. Or immersion. What it feels like to be a knight.
21:47:38 [Gustajc]: I am wondering that too. It -seems- not necessary to me right now. Perhaps event too complicated?
21:47:51 [Gustajc]: Though I might be misunderstanding its concept
21:48:11 [Jemerick]: Complicated for sure, as i couldn't even see all posibility listed even.
21:48:54 [Aleric]: The intention is that it'll give you tools, words, to use. By reflecting on your own creative agenda, and that of your guilds, and then see how it relates to the larger community.
21:49:39 [Kittrina]: Blades really don't have an agenda beyond; collect money/influence. That's sort of the point, moral greyness.
21:50:05 [Sophyra]: This is about your agenda as a player, Kittrina.
21:50:13 [Kittrina]: however the various member all have their own.
21:50:16 [Sophyra]: As in why do you, as a player, play this game and waht you want from it.
21:50:34 [Rohwyn]: It seems to me to be more an issue to think about on the individual level, as an RPer, to realise that not everyone has exactly the same outlook as yourself.
21:50:48 [Aleric]: What is the agenda you have as players when you join the guild? Is it story focused? Does it want to be -the- mercenary guild? Does it want to provide that rugged, coldhearted experience of being someone who fights for money?
21:50:49 [Kittrina]: Sure. I'm sorry, I'm just seeing this as an individual question rather than a community issue?
21:51:11 [Jemerick]: Sorry to interrupt, but then all officer should be asked who're creating events to truely be able to connect the guild by this way. If i get it right to start with.
21:51:21 [Rohwyn]: Kitt, I reckon if we're each thinking about it, it helps us RP better as a community?
21:51:27 [Rohwyn]: er, my guess anyway.
21:52:13 [Aleric]: Yes, Jemerick, and that is why there is a contact list on the Stormwind Community forum. People you can contact and ask about such things.
21:53:40 [Aleric]: Does that clarify it, Kittrina? Jemerick?
21:53:45 [Jemerick]: Not at all.
21:54:11 [Zinkle]: Let's discuss it in the forum maybe
21:54:23 [Gustajc]: I agree with Zinkle
21:54:49 [Kittrina]: Just to clarify; I can see and agree that these are thigns all rpers should consider, but. I see this as more something suited to a forum thread than meeting of guild leaders where we all have finite time.
21:55:03 [Jemerick]: If i can contact those epople i can ask their creative agenda as well, whcih will be different for every single officer in every single guild. Ergo as Kitt told no guild will have an overall. But then again it's more of a individual thing, and hardly for.
21:55:12 [Kittrina]: I thought this would be more about events immediate issues, and so forth.
21:55:16 [Jemerick]: ..this meeting. At least it looks like for me.
21:55:45 [Rohwyn]: Well Aleric did say in the thread about making this meeting, to be fair, that he wanted to discuss this very issue.
21:55:51 [Rohwyn]: But it is taking awhile, yes, it's late.
21:56:02 [Drazial]: Give us a question or let's move on.
21:56:16 [Drazial]: What is there to discuss on the topic?
21:56:37 [Aleric]: Your opinion on it. Asking questions like the ones Kittrina and Jemerick are asking.
21:57:16 [Drazial]: I believe it to be an interesting concept. I wasn't here for the explanation as I disconnected, but I gather it is to your desires and that of your characters?
21:57:26 [Aleric]: I believe it can be an incredibly powerful tool for us and can help to prevent drama. I believe that a large majority of drama between players is created by misunderstanding of each other's creative agenda.
21:57:57 [Drazial]: Perhaps the guild-masters could then broach the subject to their members, what each of them are working towards. Though I think the answer wouldn't exactly help flourish us.
21:58:11 [Aleric]: But we'll take this to the forum.
21:58:24 [Rohwyn]: There's an article that Aleric posted in the thread announcing this meeting, also, that might be of interest to guild leaders to direct to their members.
Aleric
Aleric

Character sheet
Name: Sir Aleric Dylain
Title: Knight

Back to top Go down