Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creative punishments, both fun and fair

+3
Thumbor/Grimbor
Jeanpierre
Melnerag
7 posters

Go down

Creative punishments, both fun and fair Empty Creative punishments, both fun and fair

Post by Melnerag Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:15 pm

*inspired by Gahalla's post to write this*

Long story short - on overview of some creative punishments which can be used against criminals, and which leave them with role-play and good-guys with the feeling that justice has been done.

Civil and Military Service
a punishment in which the criminal is repaying the society through work

This has been done before when several criminals were tasking with cleaning the streets. Cleaning the streets is appropriatly demeaning but very hard to role-play for some peopl. Although this remains an option for those who want and can do it, there are alternatives:
-Being assigned to a prison to provide prisoners with food, water, care and blankets
while (most importantly) keeping them company. Two rabbits slain: convict gets to RP out his sentence, and prisoner has fun while waiting for the trial! Requires co-operation of guard-guilds
-Being assigned to the Cathedral to tend to the wounded or help people around. There is on average one wounded person a day, and always some people looking for directions and/or other services. This would require supervision of a priest or a paladin of sorts.
-Being appointed a town-crier for so many days; the criminal is given a list of messeges he has to spread, from advertising events to spreading the news. Would require assistance from event-makers and news-makers.
-Collecting charity for the orphanage/soldiers on the front/veterans/elderly. Going around the city and asking people to donate money.
-Compulsary Service in the city guard - being assigned to guarding non-vital objects or making an odd patrol. Will be in company of other guards or other convicts, so fun and RP. Would require co-operation of the Guards.
-Penal Legion: forced to attend n-ammount of w-PvP events on the side of the Grand Alliance as a member of the Penal Legion!

Restoration
convict 'reconciles' with the victim and restores the damage done

In case of damage on property and causing a mess on the streets, cleaning up and repairing can be viable. Otherwise:
-meeting between the Convict, Priest, Victim for reconcilation talk.
-being assigned to repay the victim, AND earn that money IC by for instance working for one of the ministers of the council and running errands, or getting interviews and stories for the paper, or serving at a tavern etc.

Retribution and Warning
convict is punished in measure for his crime to 'settle the score' and restore justice, or punished in public to show that crime is bad and leads to punishment
This one is most widely used, and there is little I can say about it. Lashings, Canings, Stonings and Brandings are all good examples.
-Lashing/Caning allows the people to see the criminal sustain wounds for his misdoings, which gives them satisfaction due to watching justice be done. The criminal gets aknowledgement for his evilness without sustaining permanent damage.
-Humiliation in Public allows the people to participate in meting out justice,without criminal getting physical damage.
-Stoning allows the people to participate and vent out their frustration, and convict to get damage and be disabilitated for a while from doing evil
-Inprisonment is usually boring, but it could be spiced up by other convicts 'entertaining' the inprisoned or Blazing Shields providing fun prison RP <3

So, that was all. For judges and criminals to consider.

Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Creative punishments, both fun and fair Empty Re: Creative punishments, both fun and fair

Post by Jeanpierre Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:35 pm

*pricks finger with a needle*
*signs this with own blood*
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Creative punishments, both fun and fair Empty Re: Creative punishments, both fun and fair

Post by Thumbor/Grimbor Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:29 pm

A ting I rember we once talked abit about in the guild chat of DRS was labour camp for prisoners in Gol'Bolar Quarry. With non nice taskmasters and stuff. dunno how far that got
Thumbor/Grimbor
Thumbor/Grimbor

Back to top Go down

Post by Calisar Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Imanuel wrote:
-Compulsary Service in the city guard - being assigned to guarding non-vital objects or making an odd patrol. Will be in company of other guards or other convicts, so fun and RP. Would require co-operation of the Guards.

Some brilliant ideas here *thumbs up*, particularly this one. Almost worth commiting crimes to have a go ^^
Calisar
Calisar

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Still nothing about guards abusing power I see Razz

Thumbor/Grimbor wrote:A ting I rember we once talked abit about in the guild chat of DRS was labour camp for prisoners in Gol'Bolar Quarry. With non nice taskmasters and stuff. dunno how far that got
I've been there, no RP at all. They just take you there and you stay there until the end for your days.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordazan Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm

*stamp of approval from the cultist side*
Mordazan
Mordazan

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks for the link, Sophyra.

Some interesting opinions and suggestions here.

As I wrote there, I'd go for forced labour and civil work, like cleaning the streets, serving the ministers or helping the poor. This will both keep a criminal off his gang and provide him some good RP.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Another ace topic of our all Sophyra.

Zinkle Figgins wrote:I've been there, no RP at all. They just take you there and you stay there until the end for your days.

I remember being there with you. Means either you do not remember, or you are making up stories.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:02 pm

We've hosted a public humiliation where fruit was thrown at prisoners and where people could pay to walk prisoners around like dogs.

Creative enough for ya?! Mostly we employ prison-beatings and lashes/flogs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Gogol wrote:I remember being there with you. Means either you do not remember, or you are making up stories.

You know what I meant. It's not other prisoners who are supposed to provide RP to jailed people.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:11 pm

I was quite happy with the beatings done to me and others by some of the dwarven jailors.
Besides the Gol'Bolar Quarry is not built for that much interactive-friendly actions in terms of Jailor-Prisoner. It is a more of a "Oz" feeling, the prisoners create their own community.
I suppose you where not happy with it, but if you always count on others to bring you rp, you will not have much.

I know perfectly fine what you mean, but you are wrong. Now let's not derail Sophyras thread further.

Already have some Thief Catchers and others looking closer on this one, much appreciated.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down