Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits?

+77
Psykhe
Ave/Sariella
Ralegh
Norrian/Chezz
Eodan
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Shaelyssa
Antistia
Nessra Sunwhisper
Aladras
Coppersocket
bloop
itsy
Thelos
Gilran
Sinnadrin
Raziev
Mikasa
Kristeas Sunbinder
Rmuffn
Dharum
Killian
Feydor
Silferdrake
Meralynn / Ashla
Destiny
Flo
Amaryl
Khendran
Lorainne/Bridlington
Arathoran
Elloa
Quin
Kaleil Sunstrike
Tyrós/Cále
Eowale
Kettin
Saevir
Aluvielle
Lavian
Lyniath
The Z
Lexgrad
Astraea
Kil'drakor
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Grufftoof
Jayse
Drengi/Lokik
The Misty Beast
Geneviève
Mandui
Gilraen
Lini
Gesh
Sanara
Jeanpierre
Jakins
Chase - Esou
Nithel
Drazial
Drustai
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Eodain
Dréfurion
Seranita
Muzjhath
Maelmoor
Morinth
Gahalla
Gogol
Kozgugore Feraleye
Aleric
Zhakiri
Jomir
Ixirar
81 posters

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits? - Page 32 Empty Re: Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits?

Post by Morinth Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:52 pm

My Sith wasn't 'all powerful'. She was manipulative and got everyone else to do her dirty work for her. Razz Had so much fun RPing her. Arenfel was the first person I RP'd with on SW.
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits? - Page 32 Empty Re: Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits?

Post by Khendran Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:11 pm

I pre-ordered ToR, played for two months or so, then I became demotivated.
Because of slow levelling? No, I liked it. Most quests were interesting enough, I skipped the side quests only when I didn't have time or patience to deal with the planets (hardware issue, see the end of the post). And yes, I still got enough levels off questing to be able to cope with the mobs of the next one. Often enough, I would've been able to leave the planets before I had completed the last sub-area in them: in Tatooine, for example, I skipped the last two sub-areas, I completed my class storyline and got the hell off. If you're struggling with levelling, here's a tip: if it grants experience, it's worth the time it takes. If you can hit another level before your next planet by doing the side quests, it'll be returned to you in reduced time spent ressing.
The class storylines being dull? No, the few that I tried were great. The end of the Chapter 1 of Jedi Knight storyline was epic, if a little demanding in skill (or that might've been a hardware issue, see the end of the post), for example. The Trooper and Bounty Hunter ones were great fun as well, though I didn't get as far in them.
Lack of RP? No, not at all. I found that there were RPers, but lack of co-ordination between them, and lack of a single, strong hub that everyone had a reason to be in.
PvP? Nah, though I didn't give it a proper try, it was as fun as WoW's PvP; I can do it, if I get something out of it.
PvE? Well, I did every and all Flashpoints until I hit 34 on my Jedi Sentinel and took a break. As others have said, finding a group was the hardest part in them, but the PvE itself was easy-mode. Very rarely did we wipe on bosses, and we completed one instance without a tank. We didn't even realise the person who had joined the group as a tank wasn't one until the second last boss.

Why did I quit then?

Because the God-damn system requirements weren't stick to: my computer passed minimum requirements, but from day 1, I had graphic bugs, lacking textures, or models and textures not loading at all, FPS lag, game crashes, comp crashes, blue screens, you name it. On some planets, (Taris and Alderaan being the worst) I had to pan my camera so that it was always facing the grass, and find my mobs with "target nearest" and running randomly around until I was in range to attack. After I updated my drivers, it became more stable, but I still randomly crashed.
That was my only issue with the game. I could bear restarting the game/computer until level 34 on my main, and at the side I got a 26 or so Trooper, and a BH at lvl 11. When I reached Dromund Kaas on him, I had had enough. Those that know me can say that I'm not short in the patience department of things, but when I can't progress with my main due to Alderaan crashing, can't progress my Trooper because I'm about to hit Tatooine, which crashes for me, and now can't progress my Bounty Hunter because Dromund Kaas crashed for me. Well, needless to say, I was running out of patience at that point.
Recently, due to the constant urges of a friend, I patched up and restarted the game, and rolled an Inquisitor. And I actually had fun for the few levels that I bothered to go through before some RP, and am looking into a computer upgrade again to be able to play for longer than 5 minutes, and to be able to enjoy the scenery of the game.

Tl;dr, it's by no means a bad game, it's great fun, but the look of the game is going to cost you. A low-end PC, like was my case, won't be able to handle it, and can make the gaming experience torture.
/rant

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Z Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 am

So, just out of curiosity, is anyone still playing this? I gave it a go with a trial some months ago and it was decent fun, nothing groundbreaking. I could've imagined myself very likely playing the real thing, what with being bored with WoWing at that time, but since Diablo 3 was closing-in, I knew I wouldn't have much time for this game anyway.

Since then, I've seen a handful of SWTOR threads on different forums dying out steadily. Not that I'd really know, but I guess the future isn't looking *that* bright for the game anymore? I just might give it a proper go, if they'll eventually turn it into F2P...

The Z

Character sheet
Name: Zobke, aka, Mr. Z
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Fri May 25, 2012 10:06 am

the reason i quit is cause while i was playing, it just reminded me of how much better star wars galaxies was
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri May 25, 2012 10:17 am

Feydor wrote:the reason i quit is cause while i was playing, it just reminded me of how much better star wars galaxies was

I had more fun in an evening with a Ithorian medic that in a month with troopers, smuglers. In involved messing up the language control and only being able to speak Ithorian and then grouping up with two humans. We went on adventuring a bit and they didn't complain about Ithorian.

It's the feel that's lacking for me. There's so much "dead volume" in the game. It's only there because Star Wars is "big".
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Fri May 25, 2012 10:22 am

hah yeah man, do you remember that for a bit Wookies couldnt learn any other language than shyriiwook? Made for hilarious times when grouping up with them, having to use emotes and such, was so fun man. STOP IT KRISTEAS, YOU'RE MAKING ME REMINISCE TOO MUCH!
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri May 25, 2012 1:14 pm

I was so bummed when SWG closed down for good. I tried SWGEmu but it just doesn't match up to the feel of Pre-CU SWG... Also, Wookies couldn't speak anything but Shyriiwook, and nobody else could -speak- it, but wookies could understand basic and teach others to understand Shyriiwook, so communicating wasn't a problem. I fail to recall if there were any limitations to the teach language skill though. (Also, the game was 3 months old when I picked it up so I'm fairly sure this is how it was since release)
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Fri May 25, 2012 1:21 pm

nah at the very start for about two weeks they couldn't so you'd see a lot of wookies travelling together in groups, it was pretty cool
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri May 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Feydor wrote:the reason i quit is cause while i was playing, it just reminded me of how much better star wars galaxies was

^

SWG was terrible as a game, but it made up for it with its sandbox elements. TOR on the other hand is a WoW clone which is decently fun to play, but lacks staying power because of the lack of sandbox (and I hate the era).

Even if not for my money/tech issues, I doubt I'd still be playing TOR at this point. It's a good game, but what keeps me in MMOs is the 'other' elements, sandbox/RP. And from what I understand, TOR's RP scene is still rather poor.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri May 25, 2012 2:52 pm

I'd be playing SWG to this day if they had kept the pre-cu version and well.. Not shut it down. The way it was when JTL released was just epic.

I quit SWTOR while it was still in beta, for the record.

Btw, a little snip I found:

They also announced on December 20, 2002, that the ground-based component of Star Wars Galaxies would be called An Empire Divided and that the game's online community had grown to over 400,000 users since its inception in November 2000. At the time, this represented one of the largest ever fan communities amassed for any game prior to retail availability

Wow, 400k was BIG before wow was around Very Happy
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri May 25, 2012 2:59 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:I'd be playing SWG to this day if they had kept the pre-cu version and well.. Not shut it down. The way it was when JTL released was just epic.

I quit SWTOR while it was still in beta, for the record.

CU was superior to pre-CU, but NGE was horrible. They were able to salvage NGE though, and actually finally started adding content (which they should have done much, much sooner), but it was too little too late with TOR on the horizon.

By the end of the game they had added some really nice RP elements, such as Storyteller (decorate your own areas of land and spawn NPCs) and atmospheric flight. It's a shame that they had to cancel it after that.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri May 25, 2012 3:11 pm

I did play it last year. I closed my subscription around the time they announced the shutdown.

And well, the CU was what caused me to quit SWG originally and pick up WoW instead. Infact, I wouldn't have ever made it into WoW.

The main reason for my departure was, however, as can not be stressed enough: The community of Ahazi (atleast on Lok, my guild had a city on Lok) started dying, or it felt like it to me, so I couldn't really do anything worthwhile anymore. I quit for a year and a half or so and then came back on Farstar, rolled an entertainer + a smuggler, leveled them up (entertainer first as I always liked the community feel of them). Later on I ended up rerolling my smuggler as a trader so I had the 2 non-combat chars since I really couldn't stand the grindy feel of the combat professions (since they eliminated the need for buffs, groups, all of that for farming and there suddenly was no incentive to group while grinding stuff) and Entertainer/Trader simply gave me more interaction with other players.

Best feeling in the world for me was when my cantina was all of a sudden a player hub, not only drawing guildies/people from the city, but people actually came from all over the galaxy to hang out in my cantina (as a result, my guild's entertainers saw a VAST boost to their income as people on SWG are fucking awesome and tips for just standing there dancing actually happened)

Realising that I had created an actual player hub that people were using, that's something I don't see being recreated in the near future.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Fri May 25, 2012 4:05 pm

who were you on farstar, i was originally 'mrbadass fishy' (what, nigga?), and then fishy'fishy, imperial most of the time, Mos Luna, MASH, HatE and a couple others.
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri May 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Was called Hallie Illekku, residence on Lok in that gargantuan player city that was there by the end of the game's lifespan that I somehow fail to remember the name of. Was close to the volcano as far as I recall. I had a cantina there and spent the bulk of my credits decorating it/pimping my wardrobe (I had so many different sets of clothing, I really enjoyed collecting it all, my Mustafar bunker was a dedicated clothing display. I missed some of my vet rewards that were account-unique and claimed on Ahazi, so I ended up having to pay a lot to get them on Farstar too. Can't remember which of them it were, had a lot in the end. I once did the math and found out my cantina + mustafar bunker + my large house were valued at a wooping 300 million credits before I quit.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:29 pm

anyone around here still got an active swtor account that they can send out 7-day trial invites from? I'd like to check out the game.
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Debri wrote:Was called Hallie Illekku, residence on Lok in that gargantuan player city that was there by the end of the game's lifespan that I somehow fail to remember the name of. Was close to the volcano as far as I recall. I had a cantina there and spent the bulk of my credits decorating it/pimping my wardrobe (I had so many different sets of clothing, I really enjoyed collecting it all, my Mustafar bunker was a dedicated clothing display. I missed some of my vet rewards that were account-unique and claimed on Ahazi, so I ended up having to pay a lot to get them on Farstar too. Can't remember which of them it were, had a lot in the end. I once did the math and found out my cantina + mustafar bunker + my large house were valued at a wooping 300 million credits before I quit.
the only city i remember on Lok was where HaTE was based (different letters may have been capitalised, it was a pretty gay name regardless), it was pretty much ontop of a plateau and was the center for some of the best world pvp ive experienced on a game.

we designed it so it was a real fortress, placing player houses all around the edges of the plateau to act as a defensive wall and then all of the player bases were deep inside the city, made for some great battles, seeing all of the rebels climbing up the mountain unable to get passed the player houses, eventually reaching a bottleneck we designed and just plain destroying the suckers with area poisons & diseases from our combat medics, tell me another game that allowed that sort of customisability man.

i lost pretty much all of my screenshots from swg when i upgraded my pc, but i still have a couple left

My first player city I ever created, on Tatooine called Mos Elite. It was a couple clicks south west of Mos Luna, right in the middle of no where, there was pretty much fuck all around as all the good places had been taken. Only ended up with like 20 or 30 residents, and as the cap for shuttleports had been reached for the planet, the city died out as it was too much of a trek to get to the city. Check my chat log though "just gotta get engineering 4 to make some bone armor", thats how shitty my character was back then haha.
Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits? - Page 32 Screenshot0000

And mrbadass fishy in flesh, the trandoshan in the early stages of my character, all i had was teras kasi and marksmanship, and a politician to run the city. shit was wild, a martial artist pistol wielding politician?
Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits? - Page 32 Screenshot0007

and the only other screenshot i have, from the first time i ever saw a jedi, you can tell this was pre patch 9 because jedi could still wear composite armor back then
Anybody else in here looking to try SW TOR when it hits? - Page 32 Screenshot0006

no mmo will ever give that much power to its player base imo
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:11 am

Feydor wrote:no mmo will ever give that much power to its player base imo

EVE?
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:21 am

man fuck dem space ships
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:31 am

The HAM bar made me smile Very Happy
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 pm

So, anybody still playing this? I recently tried out the F2P version and realised that once I got past the huge disappointment that it was to see SWTOR as a replacement for SWG, I really do enjoy SWTOR. So yeh, I subbed now. I'm Kavalis the Jedi Knight on that english RP server.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Eloresh and his crew are on it since it's free

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:So, anybody still playing this? I recently tried out the F2P version and realised that once I got past the huge disappointment that it was to see SWTOR as a replacement for SWG, I really do enjoy SWTOR. So yeh, I subbed now. I'm Kavalis the Jedi Knight on that english RP server.
Whats the name of the server? I might try it a bit again.
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm

Didn't it use to be "The Proginator" or someshit
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:42 pm

I never got a chance to RP on it so I'd probably make a jedi this time round. Going to give it a try again early 2013. Despite being on a normal PvP server (The Tomb of Freedon Nadd) I still hope my character names haven't been reset. I had Boba, Joe, Han, Jabba, Dooku and a couple of others on the most popular PvP server on release.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:19 pm

There's just 1 realm of each type now (PVP, PVE, RP) for each language in EU. The Progenitor is the RP realm yes.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next