Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names

+31
Kittrina
Ledgic
Amaryl
Jayse
Nithel
Ara
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Drustai
Saevir
Atrís
Grufftoof
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ixirar
Craitos
Emrys
Lexgrad
Morinth
Mervyn
Nayan
Geldar
Kristeas Sunbinder
Quin
Ataris
Nessra Sunwhisper
Shaelyssa
Jeanpierre
Geneviève
Muzjhath
Raelan
Darilas
35 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

I judge a rp guild for

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Vote_lcap55%RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 29 ]
RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Vote_lcap43%RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 53

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Empty Re: RP guilds and poorly chosen char names

Post by Nayan Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:54 pm

See the editted post, as a further reply Wink
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 4 Empty Re: RP guilds and poorly chosen char names

Post by Shaelyssa Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Nessra/Anegra wrote:
Shaelyssa wrote:I still don't understand what the problem is. So what if you think of Kael'thas?

That's a bit like running through the city while masturbaring furiously. Sure... it's a natural thing if you really think about it, but some people are still going to react negatively >.>

Yikes ... I'd never name one of my characters after a major character (I won't comment on the masturbating part though) but all right then, fair enough. It shouldn't make people react negatively though ... unless the person is saying they are actually Kael'thas or whatever. And anyways, I think it's against the rules to name your character after a major lore figure. I remember seeing somebody getting their name changed by a GM because their name was Tyrandé or something.
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Nayan wrote:See the editted post, as a further reply ;)

There's still a massive difference though. "Fuckme" clearly does not sound Thalassian while Yoo Suk and Fuk Mi probably mean something in Korean/Japanese/whatever.

To elaborate, a friend of mine is Polish, but a shortened version of her name means "slut" in Turkish. Her parents obviously didn't mean to name her "slut", it just so happened that her name meant slut in Turkish :p.
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:03 pm

"Fuckme" clearly does not sound Thalassian
Hmm. *thinks of usual belves* Actually.. It sounds very much Thalassian to me...
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:05 pm

You probably shouldn't frequent the Silvermoon brothels so much, Nayan. Maybe then you'd know what a proper, blood elf name sounds like heh. Wink
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:You probably shouldn't frequent the Silvermoon brothels so much, Nayan. Maybe then you'd know what a proper, blood elf name sounds like heh. Wink
*remembers inn* Not directly fuckme, but close enough.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:You probably shouldn't frequent the Silvermoon brothels so much, Nayan.
If only you knew the scale of the irony in that sentence on all dimensions. xD
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Arathoran Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:43 pm

A clear example of the population being able to be named after an famous hero.

Aduin Wrynn & Aduin Lothar.

Nouf said.

If the king can do... So can you!
Arathoran
Arathoran

Character sheet
Name: Arathoran Dawnbringer
Title: Advisor to Eloresh Silversmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Valestrion Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Also I believe there's a trainer called Llane in Northshire.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:33 am

Tbh, as Nayan said, the stigma of applying RL Tendencies to WoW for justifying an action is a rather weak arguement.

Also, continuing my restaurant analogy from earlier in this thread:

It's not really about naming your char after a major lore character (Like Tyranda the nelf priestess, or Tiriun the human paladin), it's more about the impression it gives OOCly. I didn't only think up a name for Ixirar, I thought up names for her father, brother, sister, husband, son and daughter with naming rules for her family. Now obviously you could care less about the names of Ixirar's dead family, but when you look at it objectively, the fact that I put this much thought into my character's background prints an image of me putting thought and effort into creating an interesting character. It's the same with Tiriun and Tyranda (both being chars I've encountered on Defias Brotherhood), sure by studying human tendencies of Real Life you can conclude that there'd be a million Arthas'es running around, but if YOU choose to be one of those people you're going to come across as someone who's just looking to skip over important steps of character creation without putting effort into their character.

If I ever RP with that Tiriun guy and he turns out to be good then yeah I'll have no problem with him running around with that name as the only issue I have with him is the stigma that I described here. But untill then all I see is a person who just took an easy solution and skipped a lot of important detail for his character.

There are other examples that I have less issue with, for example Dréfurion of Nature's Grasp, who picked his name on the idea that "Furion would be an acceptable suffix for Nelf names", and while he did copy the suffix of a major lore character he also put in a prefix that would cancel the negative stigma about naming after lore characters. What I would have a problem with, would be if he had named himself something like "Melfurion", "Malfuriun" or something of the like.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Darilas Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:50 am

I think the poll got enough votes by now and I've read some pretty good arguments for both opinions. It can be locked. Also, sorry for the 'bad options' XP
Darilas
Darilas

Character sheet
Name: Darilas Lionfeet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4