Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big, general guilds versus highly specialized smalller guilds.

+8
Vaell
Amaryl
Melnerag
erwtenpeller
Buren
siegmund
Gogol
Thelos
12 posters

Go down

Big, general guilds versus highly specialized smalller guilds. Empty Big, general guilds versus highly specialized smalller guilds.

Post by Thelos Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 am

Like the title of the thread says: do you prefer big, general guilds that aim to encompass as much characters as possible within a single theme, like for example the Three Hammers with the theme 'dwarves', or do you prefer highly specialized, smaller guilds that represent a small In Character organisation or body?

I have often debated this question with myself and have started prefering bigger, more general guilds - yet, I still see many niche guilds being created that only cater to a very small and highly specialized kind of role-play. So, obviously, my opinion isn't shared by all.

What's your preference? Big, general guilds, or highly specialized smaller guilds?

Last edited by Thelos on Wed May 15, 2013 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Big, general guilds versus highly specialized smalller guilds. Empty Re: Big, general guilds versus highly specialized smalller guilds.

Post by Gogol Wed May 15, 2013 9:23 am

I prefer big, general guilds such like for example The Three Hammers.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Big, general guilds versus highly specialized smalller guilds. Empty Re: Big, general guilds versus highly specialized smalller guilds.

Post by siegmund Wed May 15, 2013 9:25 am

Well i supose i prefer more specialized having one in the Regiment and another in Freelancers. Though usually in the latter i try to bring members to do as much diveristy as they want. Explorers and adventurers of any races, though there are many forms of that so i'm more or less rather somewhere in the middle.

I like room, but usually there is a goal or two and some bending. But if it were very very strict i'd not like it.

Like i would enjoy a guild focuses on westfall, it could include outlaws/bandits/milittia/civilians/cultists all in on, rather than just one, since then you need the other and if one falls apart... Eeeh. Depends on how you can manage it though and on your char and how much time you have for him.

So i'm basically somewhre in the middle overall, but more leaning on the general part.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Buren Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 am

Inquiry; Does not these big guilds hold many smaller niches?
Buren
Buren

Character sheet
Name: Buren Agamand
Title: Captain of the Crusade

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed May 15, 2013 10:29 am

Buren wrote:Inquiry; Does not these big guilds hold many smaller niches?

That depends on how we are to define a niche.

In a sense, every character fills one unique to it, but I don't consider Wild Tempest containing the smaller niche of "Draenei spiritual role-play" just because I have a character in there that can't shut up about the Light Wink
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Buren Wed May 15, 2013 10:37 am

Thats not what I meant. Lets take TTH for an example.. It has Adventurers, Thugs, Guards, Mountaineers, Senators, Commoners..

Mhm, those are niches, are they not?
Buren
Buren

Character sheet
Name: Buren Agamand
Title: Captain of the Crusade

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 am

I prefer big, more general guilds, in which there is opportunity to shape your character as you wish.

But, one thing I've grown to dislike about guilds in general is the "reputation farm" you have to do on one character to climb the ranks, prove your worth and things before anyone will take your character seriously. For an alt-a-holic like me, that can become a big frustration.

I started The Adventurers Guild with the hopes that it can one day become a big, general guild for all sorts of different characters, but without the a cumbersome structure of command. As it is now, any member is able to invite other characters to the guild, and any member is able to post events to the guild calendar.

If this structure ever proves to be a problem (like too many not-roleplayers being invited, or members misbehaving) I intend to set guild ranks to the players proven merits, rather then the amount of time and the amount of quest a single character has done for the guild.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 am

I am very picky.

I prefer united guilds. For example, I have no problem with a 'General Military Guild' that incorporates Soldiers, Guards, Navy, Pilots and SI:7 but I don't like Three Hammers that just includes everybody RPing in an area, regardless of whether they recognize any central authority.

I am also picky about guild size. I don't like huge guilds, unless they are niched, because I simply don't like large and very populated events. For example if I am in a guild with 20 people attending an event, it is large. If I am in a guild with 20 people online, ten of which patrol and ten of which do naval training, I am fine.

I wouldn't go as far as to call specific numbers, but I start feeling uncomfortable in a guild if it has 15+ online and RPing.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 am

Well for me I wouldn't separate it into: big/small.

But it ultimately comes down to focus.

Big guilds, tend to be more centered around socializing. Both OOC and IC, and thus want a variety of characters of all sizes and creeds.

Yet the Smaller, "niche" as you'd call them, are more guilds with a focused goal, and their events are more in line with reaching those goals and what-not, then simply: Hey lets get together and have fun!

For me, I'd prefer a mix, since i'm an OOC sociable guy, I like talking to people etc, but on the other hand, I like to feel that the RP has a story-line its trying to follow in some manner or other. with plenty of meanders etc, but with a goal in mind and an idea how to reach it. (while knowing we're failing miserably is also good.)

the biggest problem with story centric guilds is the High burn-out rate, and problems adapting with Luls in activity after having just completed a chapter.
While big guilds just don't seem to go anywhere.

so I prefer a mix.
enough people for me to talk to, to create different kind of conflicts but with a clear theme, and goal to go.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Wed May 15, 2013 12:11 pm

It depends on my character and their position at the time.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Wed May 15, 2013 12:30 pm

PVP is the best, rp is for scrubs.
/Thread
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Wed May 15, 2013 12:46 pm

It differs between my characters and depends on what I'm looking to do with each one. Sometimes one type can suit me better and at other times another suits me better.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Wed May 15, 2013 2:19 pm

TBH, Smaller guilds for me. With Smaller guilds you can have Random RP, conflict and stuff that you can not get for big guilds. Ironforge is far more united than SW will ever be but both on AD ad DB you can not find random RP in Ironforge and I suspect this is due to the largeness of the guild and that they are happy just to do events (which is fine really, but sucks if you just want to RP in IF for the night or something).

Smaller guilds have to work more to survive perhaps but you can always see Samian and his guards patrolling or you can find Raenmar and his dogs doing their thing or the Disciples trying to be like Lexy tho they live in denial of it (jks). I guess that they have an identity outside of their events has a lot to do with it.

So for me 100% smaller guilds.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed May 15, 2013 2:21 pm

I wouldn't consider the regiment a "small" guild. I think it may just be the biggest guild in Stormwind.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Wed May 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Ah I see, I assumed you meant size in terms of what their story is and what they do with their RP. TTH for example are everything dwarf and the Regiment are just a focused Guard group. Do you mean large in concept or numbers?

(Dont be offended SWR! Love you guys <3)
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilran Wed May 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I like to be in both, but I somehow prefer bigger guilds. I prefer them because I like to be in a guild that offers many ways to develop your character. Though, sometimes big guilds can be problematic, because it is hard to get the all those different characters into one event, or well that is my experience from The Three Hammers. I am going to be open about it, it does posses a challenge to stack everyone with so much diversity, in one event. It thus takes much more energy and time to be invested into the guild itself.

Smaller guilds, however, I like them because you mostly get to know every character in the guild. They are small and simple to organize, and guild can stick up to its goals and ambitions. In the smaller guilds, you don't have a feeling you are just another number, like one may feel in the big guilds. Regardless, smaller guilds can sometimes be troublesome because you lack people for something of the bigger size, an event or so, and it thus presents an obstacle. Though those small guilds that are inclined towards one goal, can get boring after certain time, and they might not have such feel of being filled with unique characters at times. These are my opinions, but in general, I think it depends on what kind of thing you want to roleplay, somethings can be roleplay out small, while TTH would never been able to work properly if there would be around 5 - 6 dwarves on the every event.
Gilran
Gilran

Character sheet
Name: Gilran Steelfist
Title: Envoy of Ironforge

http://forums.threehammers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down