Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names

+31
Kittrina
Ledgic
Amaryl
Jayse
Nithel
Ara
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Drustai
Saevir
Atrís
Grufftoof
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ixirar
Craitos
Emrys
Lexgrad
Morinth
Mervyn
Nayan
Geldar
Kristeas Sunbinder
Quin
Ataris
Nessra Sunwhisper
Shaelyssa
Jeanpierre
Geneviève
Muzjhath
Raelan
Darilas
35 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

I judge a rp guild for

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Vote_lcap55%RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 29 ]
RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 53

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Empty Re: RP guilds and poorly chosen char names

Post by Craitos Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:33 pm

So you say Atris and Khaleesi are valid names or are those poorly chosen and just copied with the purpose to have a cool name?

Craitos

Back to top Go down

RP guilds and poorly chosen char names - Page 2 Empty Re: RP guilds and poorly chosen char names

Post by Darilas Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Let me point out once again that I didn't start the poll to see whether or not rules should be enforced, but to see whether those rules are based on an actual consent that a few poorly chosen names ridicule an entire guild.
Darilas
Darilas

Character sheet
Name: Darilas Lionfeet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 pm

The name is like the door to the restaurant. If they have a fancy frontside and it looks like a fancy place I might try it out to see what it's like. If it turns out that the food is horrible in that restaurant I won't return there after my first visit.

However if the front of the restaurant looks horrible and it seems like one of those abandoned buildings in a back-alley (the kind where people get mugged in films) then I won't bother opening the door at all.

The door is an anagram for RP guilds. Front-side being the names of their guild members in this case.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Naturally, Darilas. I just have everything connected in my head, it's the way I think. Smile

And Craitos, it depends. For me, personally, I can see Khaleesi as "somewhat wrong" as it may or may not be copied, and even if it is it's not a major reference (ex.: Legolas). "Atris" tells me absolutely nothing, so (to my current knowledge) it'd be fine. Of course I might be wrong on that, no one knows everything. Same as "Veropoulos" might mean shit nothing to you, but to me it's like naming your char "Seveneleven" or "Walmart" or "<insert supermarket name>", because that's exactly what it is here. I do see how many wouldn't notice, but it doesn't mean it should bother me any less.

Either way, with that answered and no loose ends, I shall refrain from commenting relevantly, and leave the topic to what Darilas pointed out Smile
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 pm

All of my character names, and any made up names for backstory 'NPCs', are references or homages in some way or another. Genevieve is possibly the most intelligent, being a double reference (Genevieve Dieudonne is a sixteen year old vampire, shock horror! And stars in what I thought was a very clever book when I first read it aged about twelve Wink ), but anyone who hopes to get the second reference is in for a hard bit of detective work.

One of my other characters has a brother who's first three initials are J.R.R. which is neither clever nor subtle, although as he was an aristocrat so I chose to replace Tolkein's own names with Robert and Rufus the two eldest children of William Normandy.

My warrior, Catonius Reinhard, is named in homage to one of the principal characters of The Eagle series, aswell as a reference to my first ever Warcraft character Deiter Heydrick.

What I'm trying to say is that it depends upon how jarring the names are? Do they make you flinch and think of something else, a DK called Vader, or a famous NPC, or do they just slot into the setting nicely?

Back in the olden days Mansfield gave me a lot of abuse for the name Genevieve which was in his opinion unloreful and not at all fitting for a warcraft character...Oh how generously Blizz stepped in to vindicate my choice of name. Very Happy
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 pm

It's all about being subtle and knowing how to sell it Razz

Take for example my main character on the server, Bennedict is not exactly original. - Seeing how there is a npc in the cathedral named Benedict (Which I actually didn't know until about lv25 Very Happy )
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Darilas Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 pm

My priest is named Irelia, as is, apparently, a character in League of Legends. But I didn't even know that until about two months after I created her. I don't get complaints about her name, just sometimes an amused whisper.

The names I was referring to, however are similar to lore characters, not NPC's like the guy in the cathedral or the bakery girl.
Darilas
Darilas

Character sheet
Name: Darilas Lionfeet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:45 pm

I've been told more than one of my characters has a "non-RP name" by people too narrow-minded or blinkered to actually find out what my characters are, or who they are.

I've even had a goblin DK with a terrible, yes, truly bad name. I had it for fun completely. Hemogoblin. HE WAS BLOOD GODDAMNIT!

Anyways. The manners maketh the man. And the men maketh the guild. A name maketh a man also. Or something.

Nayan's brick analogy or the restaurant analogy of Ixirar are far better than what I can manage at 23.37 on a Friday night.

More cider calls.

But, if it's a minor NPC, that street urchin, or a greengrocer or even a trainer. Cool. Go for it. If it's not, and we all know what sort of characters we mean ("major players") then it's poo. And it spreads smears of poo onto the things it touches.

Puns are good though in names really. Puns and some clever nameplay. Fitting, when it's names we're talking about. But you can pay homage without ripping off. There's a difference, and it's not even that subtle. Cleverness maybe, sometimes being tongue in cheek. There's a line, and it's pretty obvious.

If you decide to be Arthasdk or Legoless or something, then you're poo. And the poo isn't just on you a bit, but all over everything. Even in your hair.

My poo analogy wins. And analogy has the word anal in it. Hehe.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Gruffthoof's post made me laugh more than it had any right to Razz
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Gruff I think I love you and your poo analogy.
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Atrís Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:34 pm

So you say Atris and Khaleesi are valid names or are those poorly chosen and just copied with the purpose to have a cool name?

I think my ears are burning Smile

I am one of those people who has trouble coming up with good names and some do like to use names from other games,books,movies etc. I personally have no problem with using names other places or others doing the same as well, just as long as it isn't too obvious like Legolas or out of place.

I did not think any would really have a problem with that name. It's from a character in a game that came out 6 years ago and that character was only really seen from that one game. Occasionally someone might recognize but I doubt most do and it doesn't really feel like that name is too out of place to me.

Originally this character was not intended to do RP, (at the time I created her I had never RPed in wow) I just wanted a decent name for my character.

Last edited by Atrís on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Atrís

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 pm

grufftoof wrote:analogy has the word anal in it. Hehe.
You said "anal", theehee.

/vanish Very Happy
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:47 pm

what annoys me more is when you make an arrest, get the suspect calm and cuffed, then some stranger comes over and is like what is the charge and turns out to be an expert on SW law! Grrrr, its like medicine, it is a major part of your char, Years in school and in training.

Yeah btw doesnt come up much but i was a lawyer for ten years GRRR

That is what grinds my gears
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:52 pm

Daring to speak a bit bluntly about this, any troll who makes an issue of someone picking anything less than a widely-recognized* name for their character as long as it is plausible for the race, needs to go back and hide under their bridge.

*(my definition of that being that in a group of 3 random players, two of them would know enough about where it is from to converse about it)
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:07 am

I don't really care about NPC names if they're minor characters (hell, Drustai's name is intentionally from one of the random succubus names <.<). Copying names of major lore characters or just downright shitty names will give me a poor first impression of that player/guild, though.

Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:08 am

I'd like to point out that - when taken out of context - Morinth's comment about "blue people," and "death by mind-sex" is not what it seems! Though I have some doubts that Morinth is really a Sin'dorei, and in fact I believe she may even be an Asari Assassin sent from the far future to annihilate us with scantily clad pirates.

... Moving on.

There are some names that are created without much forethought, such as the original name of my old main character "Kih'rin." Kih'rin is the second spelling of the name which came about when I couldn't revert back to Kiirin after a name-change, so I addopted a different spelling. I was hyped up on Monster Hunter at the time, and I named my character "Kiirin" since I really loved the Kirin; which is a chinese unicorn/dragon/thunder-pony.

It's only when you get really obnoxious names that you need to be wary of people, but overall I believe that comical characters have much more leeway with their names - since of course - the object is to make you laugh if they're performing comical RP. A character may also be heavily inspired by an already existing character from another medium of entertainment, as long as they develop into their own character rather than be a blatant copy for living out your poorly written fanfic... A-OK to me!

... There's a guild on defias called "Defias Anime Squad" that wanted to re-enact anime moments in game, I think that's a textbook example of what you should avoid when naming. *cough*

Oh hey there's the thread-rail, I seemed to have missed you.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:22 am

"anal"

I love Ave so much
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:28 am

Loktheris wrote:I'd like to point out that - when taken out of context - Morinth's comment about "blue people," and "death by mind-sex" is not what it seems! Though I have some doubts that Morinth is really a Sin'dorei, and in fact I believe she may even be an Asari Assassin sent from the far future to annihilate us with scantily clad pirates.

Oh shit. Call off the plan guys, they're onto us!
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:12 am

About subconciouss RL references: Yeah, some people will obviously hit a name once in a while that means something in a language they don't know how to speak.

Two examples are: When I made my death knight (Kavalis) I started getting whispers from greek people, in greek. LOADS of whispers. I found this weird, but after googling it I can conclude that Kavalis is infact a greek family name. This would be similar to, for example, if I'd named my character "Klausen" (which is my own surname IRL)which while indeed it would strike me as odd/slightly inappropriate, I was unaware of it at the time and it really isn't a big enough deal to get worked up about it.

Also, an old member of Nature's Grasp through TBC and some of WLK was a rogue called "Maito". The finnish people in the guild found this quite amusing as apparently "Maito" is the finnish word for milk. Maito himself was swedish and completely unaware of this fact untill pointed out to him. This again is a case of subconciouss IRL refference.

Also, LOADS of people in NG has had copy-NPC names discovered after chosing their name (Example, Nessa, a warrior, found that the fishing supply vendor in Ruth'eran is called "Nessa Shadowsong", and Jalysia (another warrior) found Jaelysia the stable master of Auberdine once)
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ara Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:33 am

I can't talk Kyrby isn't really a great name for a human warlock and the alias Bob Brennen >< *Cringes*
I had a great plot to reveal his real name though but bahhh you know how it goes.All fell apart
Ara
Ara

Character sheet
Name: Ara
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:33 am

I try to avoid judging a book by its cover. More often than not it has surprised me in a pleasant way.

My first character name on this server was Sylvännnàs because I have the creativity of a squirrel. If people merely had ignored me and pushed me away; I would never have seen/enjoyed RP.

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Quin Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:00 am

Nithel wrote: My first character name on this server was Sylvännnàs .

HAHAHAHA
Quin
Quin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:15 am

Crojwin wrote:
"anal"

I love Ave so much

Why? What? Hmm...?!
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:22 am

In all honesty I don't generally mind. Natrually if you see a name that 'flags' the usual boxes you have a bit of a laugh and joke about it but end of the day if the person is wanting to RP and is making the effort without being a complete clown. It's all good.

Jayse started off as Jase for the 3-4 years previous, which I eventually discovered was an NPC near the oldworld Light's Hope Chapel. Added the Y when I transferred here because Jase was already taken by what appears to be a vapourware character that hasn't logged on since sheffield last flooded.

And Gruff.. Analeigh :3

Edit: I also didn't vote

Last edited by Jayse on Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:24 am

Horrible poll options.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next