Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some advice on Nelf Spriest RP

+11
Ixirar
Amaryl
erwtenpeller
Ralegh
Thondalar Stormleaf
Zhakiri
nope
Odgan / Keag
siegmund
Izzifix
Howl
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need some advice on Nelf Spriest RP Empty Need some advice on Nelf Spriest RP

Post by Howl Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 am

I was told to contact Calisar for advice, but she seems to be playing on a different character these days or just not playing at all.
So now I've resorted to this site for advice on the subject.

Things I've been able to conclude by searching for lore

-Shadow is corruptive
-Only accounts of nelf shadowpriests are a few that were twisted by C'thuns influence back in the war of the shifting sands, and a few npcs, but they are about as canon as the real world media references
-it's frowned upon

Kaldorei are able to merge with shadows to become invisible or "Shadowmeld"
They used to be nocturnal and some still are. Light - day, Shadow - Night ?
They were among the first species to tamper with the arcane (on azeroth) and relish in it before the shattering were they not? My point being, they weren't exactly shut closed to power before everything turned to shit.
Is it likely that a night elf shadowpriest could be a highborne? one who was exiled along with the night elf arcanists.

I'm looking for advice, but also some sort of evidence that night elf shadowpriests are in fact a possible combination.
During the cataclysm, the arcane was once more allowed to be practiced among Kaldorei (hypocrite elves ftw) <-- possibly another entry for a nelf priest to practice shadow magic?

Last edited by Howl on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos, typos and more typos)
Howl
Howl

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Need some advice on Nelf Spriest RP Empty Re: Need some advice on Nelf Spriest RP

Post by Izzifix Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:58 am

Can you imagine any given situation where a night elf might become a shadow priest?

If you can, then yes, the combination is possible. If no, then no, it is not for you.

Izzifix

Back to top Go down

Need some advice on Nelf Spriest RP Empty Re: Need some advice on Nelf Spriest RP

Post by siegmund Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am

So now I've resorted to this site for advice on the subject.

May god protect your soul. You can always PM Calisar here too I belive.

Otherwise I can't say anything too detailed besides say I belive shadowmeld as you said is blending in with the shadows of the night. (Just note your shadow isn't made by shadow magic it's just made by sunlight and other sources) Don't see any shadow magic in that thought.

Seen some ideas far as bright side of the moon / dark side of the moon idea but I don't think i ever saw any real sources on that so can't say too much on that... As well as certain game mechanics are just that aaaand a good few things we just don't know enough.

But i know some good links least on shadow priests and shadow, that might help:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Surely some i missed out on. (copy pasted all things 'bout shadow, you might want to skip necromancy, warlock like and such)
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Odgan / Keag Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm anything but a expert on Night Elf lore, and not on shadow stuff either. But the Night Elf priestesses we see are always about the light of the moon/Elune, nay? Were there's a source of light, there are shadows cast too!
Perhaps your Night Elf twisted by focuses on the shadows cast by Elune's light. Or just a Highborne mad for power, who believed there to be much more potential in the shadow then the arcane.

As said, no expert on any of the subjects. Just rambling!
Odgan / Keag
Odgan / Keag

Character sheet
Name: Ildranor Strongbrew
Title: Mountaineer-Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Howl Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Well it won't be anything I'll do before wod anyway, but thanks for the feedback people!
Honestly I was sort of worried that it would turn into some drama debate about this and that Siegmund Very Happy praised the almighty and unholy pantheon of doge it didn't.

Howl
Howl

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by nope Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Anduin uses both in some character art, apparently. The Twilight Cultists manage to suck in a variety of races as well, though that might be tricky to Rp in terms of moving around/having something heavy to hide. Can also look into arcane shadow/divine Shadow differences if you want. Divine variant doesn't leave a taint that I know of.

Anduin aside, I heard there was some realm lore about cracking down on Shadow-users.
nope
nope

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Howl Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Hmm perhaps it would be better to look into a sort of starcaller class? like Moonkin with the glyph of stars. Isn't that more closely related to night elf priests?
Howl
Howl

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 pm

The Lore behind being able to wield both the Light and Shadow simultaneously is thin at best, mostly there are sources on it being impossible but you always have your anomalies like Anduin using Shadow Magic and that Zeliek, one of the four Horsemen, a Undead that wields the Light. Now I know you wasn't enquiring about that, but I think it's an important topic to touch upon when discussing the two sides of Elune and how a Night Elf can perceive them.

It's a fine line to walk, but as someone said above, the Light casts Shadows, especially with the ideology of Elune, the Moon Goddess. As far as Night Elf Shadowpriests go, I'd say it's one of the few Races that actually could see the benefits of worshipping the Shadow along side of (which is most likely) or instead of the Light, it's a clear aspect of their culture and whilst Elune's Light is often coined, her Shadow is equally as important.

It's a matter of balance and the Kaldorei are, to repeat myself, one of the few Races to appreciate that balance.

Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:11 pm

In the book Stormrage both Tyrande and the dragons are rather negative about the shadow beings who wander around there. Elune's light purge away shadow in the book.

Shadowmeld is melding with actual shadows, not shadowmagic, indeed.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhakiri Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:19 pm

Thaldir Shadowstar wrote:In the book Stormrage both Tyrande and the dragons are rather negative about the shadow beings who wander around there. Elune's light purge away shadow in the book.

Fair enough, admittedly I have but haven't read Stormrage yet. Just don't get on with Knaak.
Zhakiri
Zhakiri

Character sheet
Name: Zhakiri
Title: Da Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Gashuk wrote:The Lore behind being able to wield both the Light and Shadow simultaneously is thin at best, mostly there are sources on it being impossible.
What are the sources on it being impossible though?
Since as far as I've seen from Benedictus, Anduin and the priest class in general there is more evidence for priests being able to wield both shadows and light than there is against it.
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thondalar Stormleaf Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:12 pm

There is more loresources on human shadowpriests being able to cast both then there is nelf ones.
Thondalar Stormleaf
Thondalar Stormleaf

Character sheet
Name: Simaria
Title: Little Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 am

Ralegh wrote:
Gashuk wrote:The Lore behind being able to wield both the Light and Shadow simultaneously is thin at best, mostly there are sources on it being impossible.
Since as far as I've seen from Benedictus, Anduin and the priest class in general there is more evidence for priests being able to wield both shadows and light than there is against it.

Depends on what you define "simultaneously" as like at exactly the same time or just being able to use one and the other? Not even those two in the game used it at the same time. Can't really say for Benedictius as in the boss fight which was just modeled light first shadowy abilities after you can't say much more from that that he did pretty strong stuff with it.

And Anduin did mind control and.. I belive physic scream both abilities in the sense of a priest and about the mind and so, technically regarded as shadow as they affect that but still very diffrent from say a shadowy void tendril which is plain obviously something surely EVIL in regard from scaring away people, i mean paladins scare away evil people all the time. Also for the latter there is a case of it in the comic Dark Riders as a priest used physic scream but he is not a shadow priest as some obvious ones (Forsaken ones, Benedictius there, old god priests, etc)

Spoiler:

Honestly there isn't enough information on some things, views, certain abilities, knowledge and other stuff, sometimes it's too vague or bits and pieces, sometimes blizz glue on it or whatever else.

Also please "Evidence / not evidence" POST IT. I always like to get to know more especially things I haven't seen yet "They dun like this in book" QUOTE IT. For gods sake people can interprit things their own way at some bits show sources plainly please or say if it's just something you heard or so. It makes things easier and i enjoy something good to read as do probably others.

Things like
negative about the shadow beings
didn't read that book but it's about emerald nightmare so old god shadow beings, obviously no one will like those so it's pointing out the obvious what we know already. Of course this is my guess i'd have to read or see that part to be able to say "Okay".
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am

I would be surprised if anyone has anything to add to that post.

Also, that is one buff priest, bro. Surely he lifts.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:37 am

As someone who played Arena's with Fortesgue, Every priest should be able to use shadow spells, because they're super useful to defeat heretics of the light..

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Amaryl wrote:As someone who played Arena's with Fortesgue, Every priest should be able to use shadow spells, because they're super useful to defeat heretics of the light..

Best post in this thread. Hahahaha
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wulfgnar Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:09 pm

Ralegh wrote:

It is on the official Blizzard Class information on their website that a Priest can wield both Shadow and Light. But it is a secret and not well known to those outside of the class. Hence with Bishop Bennedictus turning was not a shock to the church and they still deny it.

As for Night Elf Lore, what Dwyburn said is absolutely spot on. "Can you imagine any given situation where a night elf might become a shadow priest?

If you can, then yes, the combination is possible. If no, then no, it is not for you."
Rae Wulfgnar
Rae Wulfgnar

Character sheet
Name: Sir Rae Josephas Wulfgnar
Title: Chaplain of the Disciples of Light

http://akhirah.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:31 pm

Amaryl wrote:As someone who played Arena's with Fortesgue, Every priest should be able to use shadow spells, because they're super useful to defeat heretics of the light..

Best post. Hahahaha oh god the memories.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:16 pm

Night elves' "shadow" abilities are said to be given by Elune, and are not shadow magic, but rather proof of "Elune's presence whether she is visible or not." I can try to scrounge up the source on that if you want.

Shadowmeld is not shadow magic, imo, but simply an Elune-enhanced ability to hide in the darkness. The Wardens' "shadow" abilities were not seen as dark or evil, so I doubt they were contemporary shadow magic either.

Highborne haven't ever messed with shadow lorewise that I'm aware of, but they have kept a demon captive without gaining its fel taint. That's a long stretch to using shadow, though.

In all honesty I think a night elf shadow priest would need to be mentally deranged/insane along the lines of a corrupted, seriously out-of-touch/literally crazy character, who justifies it in ways that aren't justifiable. I say this simply because to any "normal" night elf, particularly a servant of Elune, using dark, corruptive magics that feed off of pain and fear WOULD NOT BE, justifiable. I can't see a normal, sane night elf ever wielding shadow.

In other words, I'd (read: my nelf chars) never accept a shadowpriest as a normal night elf. My char would and does see them as insane, damaged, dangerous, and so on.

You could say the char had some horrific trauma, and somehow shadow is what "saved" them, in their eyes; they could have been kidnapped, held captive, brainwashed etc. by cultists.  Any story that would explain why a night elf death knight would continue to live and do his or her thing after regaining his mind, would likely work for a shadow priest, too--serving his people with the abilities forced on him, or what have you.  Or maybe they went slowly insane over centuries or millennia, developing their own slightly batshit values system where shadow is (for reasons of balance, or whatever) important. If they keep their shadow usage -secret,- it'll probably never be an issue among other night elves. If they don't, they'll likely be shunned; if you wanted to RP it among a non-night elf group, instead, then you'd only need to be able to "justify" it to humans, probably, which would likely be far easier.

TL;DR, I don't think any normal night elf will ever use or accept shadow, but there's plenty of abnormal people out there. How you structure the story depends on where/with whom you want to roleplay it, imo.
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 pm

I can try to scrounge up the source on that if you want.

Best do so then!
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Howl Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm

I think people didn't read my second post, but I did ask if there would be any alternative to a shadowpriest such as the idea of being a starcaller? whatever that is, I don't even think that's an actual term in WoW.

What I mean when I say starcaller is in fact what balance druids mostly do.
At some point the class/spec combination sort of strayed from the druidic path and approached what I am referring to.

Such as Tyrande's prayer "starfall" which again, balance druids have, but isn't that in fact something that (in the lore) used to be a priest exclusive if you will?

Also thanks for the detailed replies, I apreciate it.
Howl
Howl

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Well this is what i found on the RPG books least not cannon, but here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and far as units in Warcraft III [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Tyrande think uses it ingame or something? Or so i've read but i can't say much on the matter.

Though either way for a class just one ability in your arsenal I supose.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Howl Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm

siegmund wrote:Though either way for a class just one ability in your arsenal I supose.
You are right.
I'm just looking for an alternative to a shadowpriest, and that sort of rang a bell.
Howl
Howl

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Calisar Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Feral / Blackfall wrote: In other words, I'd (read: my nelf chars) never accept a shadowpriest as a normal night elf. My char would and does see them as insane, damaged, dangerous, and so on.

The suspicious/wary/non-accepting reactions are amongst the most fun to react to Wink

Still playing btw, just had a horrendously busy workload lately followed by a week off at a festival, feel free to poke Howl if you want to chitchat Shadow (though the answers you have had here and links already are spot on).

I've had the most fun ever slowly wrecking my holy priest into becoming a Shadow user over the last year. A purposefully slow process. The info is horribly thin and vague on it though within Nelf lore. Insane, damaged, dangerous are the best ways to play it imho. And Cal is indeed tenuously trying to maintain her sanity.

My take on it was Cal chasing the art of mental manipulation (being a weak physical fighter and needing something to combat certain plots in the Order at the time) to become a kind of Inquisitor. Too many plots and crimes = a need for determining the absolute truth from her kin. Mind control, mental persuasion, Illusion, torture, psychic reading, etc. All of these overtime have kicked open the door to other darker talents. Using Shadow has cut her off from her former healing skills so she cannot wield Elune's light anymore. Something that has been noticed and used as an insult often enough. So, she's a lousy healer. But she can manipulate a characters mind to shut off the pain for a time (there is a way around everything!). These are just choices I've made, and I'm not any expert tbh.

In an argument, I would say she doesn't perceive it as Shadow in it's most offensive sense, but as a natural position for some to take in Nelf society. There to act where the holy Sisters cannot or will not, the flipside to Elune's light, her eclipse. But it's just one opinion. As said, the lore is thin, so make the best of it you can Wink

There have been a mixed bag of reactions in the Nelf community, mostly wariness to outright hostility (tips hat to Thondalar) So play it low key if you do go for it. (Cal would be fairly frightened of revealing just how much she -enjoys- the mental manipulation of others, it's addictive) Going batshit-crazy-full-on-shadow was immensely fun a couple of months ago though.

So, TL:DR go for it. It can be a very viable combination for a Kaldorei. (and it's amazing how many people are up for playing along to a touch of MC)
Calisar
Calisar

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:33 pm

The night elves are naturally linked to arcane in general (likely the cause of their glowing eyes, as they used to be trolls before the Well's influence). Their "arcane" abilities are said to be "divine arcane" according to a few sources, granted by Elune. Same stuff that's in the moonwell, basically--blessed arcane magic that doesn't "corrupt on use." These spells (starfall, moonfire, etc) were and are, lorewise, the domain of the Sisterhood of Elune (Priestesses of the Moon, who were archer/hunter/warrior priests).

It depends on what you want the alternative for. Are you wanting to play a dark-natured priest? Are you wanting to use a Priest ooc, but make it use night-themed spells, or?
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next