Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warlords of Draenor - General Discussion

+61
Lini
Terenus
Dolerien
Clarke
Gesh
Thondalar Stormleaf
Allonia_Miral
Drustai
Flo
Seranita
Nexiax
Anivitas
Tantzui
Shanyuan
Shriukan
Sadok
Skarain
Menori
Adry
Samian/Bismack
Haen Strongwind
Grufftoof
Manathon
Raenmar
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Vardrek/Burgen
Rargnasha
Iriel Silversong
Officer High Morale
Littlepip
Charlie Blazesong
Coppernut
Lavian
Ledgic
Kadnir
siegmund
Kozgugore Feraleye
Amaryl
Izzifix
Shaelyssa
Krogon Devilstep
Cid
Ixirar
Zaraj
Lexgrad
Zouyo
Helmut
Ruby
Zinkle Figgins
Paia/Jenit
Kittrina
erwtenpeller
Muzjhath
Demurral
Rmuffn
Sanara
The Z
Coppersocket
Ralegh
Vaell
Thelos
65 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Warlords of Draenor - General Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Warlords of Draenor - General Discussion

Post by Coppersocket Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:18 pm

I personally really liked Cata.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Warlords of Draenor - General Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Warlords of Draenor - General Discussion

Post by Ixirar Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:38 am

Development on World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor is progressing well, and we'll soon be ready to enter the first phases of public testing. To help prep you for battle, let’s break down some of the upcoming changes we’re making to stats, abilities, and crowd control for the expansion.

Stat Squish
Character progression is one of the hallmarks of any role-playing game, and naturally that means we're always adding more power for players to acquire. After multiple expansions and content updates, we've reached a point where the numbers for health, damage, and other stats are so big they’re no longer easy for players to grasp. What’s more, a lot of power granularity is tied up in tiers of older content, from Molten Core to Dragon Soul—and while it was once necessary for your character's power to spike up suddenly when you hit level 70, that’s not the case anymore.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

In order to bring things down to a more understandable level, we'll be reducing the scale of stats throughout the game and smoothing out those obsolete spikes, so that power scales linearly through questing content from levels 1 to 85. This applies to creatures, spells, abilities, consumables, gear . . . everything. And while that means your numbers for stats and damage are being reduced by a huge amount, the same goes for creatures' health and damage output. For example, a Fireball that previously hit a creature for 450,000 out of his 3,000,000 health (15% of its health) may now hit that same creature for 30,000 out of its 200,000 health (still 15% of its health).

It's important to understand that this isn’t a nerf—in effect, you’ll still be just as powerful, but the numbers that you see will be easier to comprehend. This also won’t reduce your ability to solo old content. In fact, to provide some additional peace of mind, we're implementing further scaling of your power against lower-level targets so that earlier content will be even more accessible than it is now.

We’re also removing all base damage on player spells and abilities and adjusting attack power or spell power scaling as needed, making it so that all specializations will scale at the same rate.

Racial Traits
We want races to have fun and interesting perks, but if some of those traits are too powerful, players may feel compelled to play a specific race even if it’s not really the one they want to play. For example, Trolls' Berserking ability was extremely powerful, and their Beast Slaying passive was either completely irrelevant or tremendously powerful, based on the situation, compared to other racial traits. On the other end of the spectrum, many races had few or no performance-affecting perks. On top of that, a number of racials that currently grant Hit or Expertise will soon need replacing, since those stats are being removed in Warlords of Draenor.

To keep racials more in line with one another, we’ve decided to bring down the couple high outliers, then establish a fair baseline and bring everyone else up to that. We’re accomplishing this by improving old passives, replacing obsolete ones, and adding a few new ones where necessary. Ultimately, our goal is to achieve much better parity among races.

Ability Pruning
Over the years, we've added significantly more new spells and abilities than we've removed, and the game’s complexity has steadily increased. We’re to the point now where players are starting to get overwhelmed, sometimes feeling like they need dozens of keybinds (in a few extreme cases, over a hundred). While the game is loaded with niche abilities that could theoretically be useful in some rare scenario, in reality, many of these are barely used at all—and in some cases, the game would simply be better off without them.

For Warlords of Draenor, we decided that we needed to pare down the number of abilities available to each class and spec in order to remove some of that unnecessary complexity. That means restricting some abilities to certain specs that really need them instead of being class-wide, and outright removing some other abilities. It also includes removing some Spellbook clutter, such as passives that can be merged with other passives or base abilities.

This doesn’t mean that we want to reduce the depth of gameplay or dumb things down. We still want players to face interesting decisions during combat, and we still want skill to matter . . . but we can achieve that without the needless complexity in the game now, and we can remove some of the game’s more convoluted mechanics while maintaining depth and skill variety.

One type of ability that we focused on removing is temporary power buffs (aka "cooldowns"). Removing these also helps achieve one of our other goals, which is to reduce the amount of cooldown stacking in the game. In cases where a class or spec has multiple cooldowns that typically end up getting used together (often in a single macro), we merged them, or removed some of them entirely.

The process of determining which spells and abilities to cut or change is a very complex one—we know that every ability feels vital to someone, and we don't take this process lightly. Even if we ended up cutting your favorite ability, we hope you’ll understand why we did so in the context of our larger goals for the expansion. Ultimately, the point of these changes is to increase players' ability to understand the game, not to reduce gameplay depth.

Crowd Control and Diminishing Returns

One other big takeaway from Mists of Pandaria is that there is currently simply too much crowd control (CC) in the game, especially when it comes to PvP. To address that, we knew that we needed an across-the-board disarmament. Here's a summary of the player-cast CC changes:

Removed Silence effects from interrupts. Silence effects still exist, but are never attached to an interrupt.
Removed all Disarms.
Reduced the number of Diminishing Returns (DR) categories.
All Roots now share the same DR category.
Exception: Roots on Charge-type abilities have no DR category, but have a very short duration instead.
All Stuns now share the same DR category.
All Incapacitate (sometimes called "mesmerize") effects now share the same DR category and have been merged with the Horror DR category.
Removed the ability to make cast-time CC spells instant with a cooldown.
Removed many CC spells entirely, and increased the cooldowns and restrictions on others.
Pet-cast CC is more limited, and in many cases has been removed.
Cyclone can now be dispelled by immunities and Mass Dispel.
PvP trinkets now grant immunity to reapplication of an effect from the same spell cast when they break abilities with persistent effects, like Solar Beam.
Long fears are now shorter in PvP due to the added benefit of a fear changing the players position.
Additionally, we've significantly reduced the number of throughput-increasing cooldowns and procs in order to further reduce burst damage.

Whether your favorite class is losing an ability or taking a hit to its CC potential, we hope this discussion helped you better understand why we’re making these changes. It’s important to remember that other classes will be getting some of their CC removed too. We think this entire package will make exploring Azeroth and PvPing a more enjoyable experience for everyone, and we’re looking forward to having you try them out when we open up the expansion for testing.

In the next Dev Watercooler, we'll explore the changes coming to health and healing in Warlords of Draenor.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:43 am

This pleases me greatly. All of it!

Very curious to read what changes are made to health and healing. Smile
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:49 am

That sounds pretty damned sweet. I'm curious to see how the landscape will be reshaped.

Since yeah, its been a while since we had 4-5k hp and 1-1.5k crits. Smile

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:58 am

If the graphs are to serve as a representation, we'll be at roughly Wrath tier power level at level 100.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am

One other big takeaway from Mists of Pandaria is that there is currently simply too much crowd control (CC) in the game, especially when it comes to PvP. To address that, we knew that we needed an across-the-board disarmament. Here's a summary of the player-cast CC changes
Yeeees. Dear God, -please- remove all those ridiculous amounts of CCs in PvP, tyvm. They'll have at least done -something- right for starters, come WoD.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:48 am

I am getting dangerously excited for WoD. I will have to think about things I don't like about WoW to curb my enthusiasm so I don't get disappointed again like I did for Wotlk and Cataclysm.
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Remove all disarms? Right, can't really say that was a CC ability, seeing as a CC ability is how to control a crowd through stuns, fears, mindcontrol and whatnot, while disarm just removes ones weapons for a VERY short while but still leaves you in control of the character, thus it isn't a CC ability per se. People need to be able to disarm warriors, just as warriors need to be able to disarm other melees to prevent the friggin' nukefeast this game has become. But sure, Blizzard tend to make good choices when it comes to balance things (not).
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:47 pm

The disarm was just the melee silence.
With silence less common, or less simple to use at least, they'd be more powerful. (Against melees).
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Cid wrote:Remove all disarms? Right, can't really say that was a CC ability, seeing as a CC ability is how to control a crowd through stuns, fears, mindcontrol and whatnot, while disarm just removes ones weapons for a VERY short while but still leaves you in control of the character, thus it isn't a CC ability per se. People need to be able to disarm warriors, just as warriors need to be able to disarm other melees to prevent the friggin' nukefeast this game has become. But sure, Blizzard tend to make good choices when it comes to balance things (not).

Cid, stop talking about PVP. Like, forever. Really. Stop. You hurt my brain.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 pm

I believe they said they want to avoid nukefests. Slow and lengthy fights instead (in terms of PvP). It's right there in the "blog" info thingy.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:23 pm

Hope they actually deliver that, these days it's really just nuke nuke nuke.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:38 am

Ixirar/Kavalis wrote:Cid, stop talking about PVP. Like, forever. Really. Stop. You hurt my brain.

Says the guy who dies constantly in W-PvP while I stay alive 4 out of 5 times. /cough

Nevertheless, the Disarm can be negated by Bladestorm or worked around with Shockwave to stun people for the duration of the disarm, so I don't really see the big issue with having disarms left in the game (at least for other classes against Warriors). Warriors have had a big whinefeast against them just because we have so much burst and mobility (still less than monks, but yeah...) that others actually need to have something like this to counter our burst. Heck, I want to be able to disarm a rogue who goes full nukemode, since I won't survive that in today's Burstcraft. The rogue in turn can disarm my weapon and shield to prevent me from using Shield Barrier to soak up the damage.

I really don't see what's the big issue with disarms. Sure, annoying at times, but hell, so are the disrupting shouts and other interrupts, AND disarm (unlike the interrupts) can be affected by using gear and enchants that lessens the disarm duration... So really, Ix, I do know what I talk about. It is for balance I want disarms around, to counter the nukefeasts the game has currently. If they are changing that in WoD, whoop-de-doo, good riddance to the burstfeast! But otherwise I'm all for disarms to stay.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:14 am

* thinks disarm isn't a CC
* can't survive rogues as a warrior
* Doesn't realise that shield wall reduces damage regardless of Disarm
* thinks he's better than me because he often survives WPVP, meanwhile highest PVP rating (RBG AND Arena) is sub-1600-
* thinks monks have more burst than warrior
* Blizzard has repeatedly said that they're going to tone down how bursty the game feels. Dying in 1 stun is something they want to avoid. Doesn't understand this.

Yeah. Yeah you know what you're talking about. Yep. Sure you do. Clearly. *cough*
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:57 am

Disarm is very much a CC. It's not useful against certain classes, but that doesn't mean it isn't a CC.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:10 am

Sheesh, how is it a CC if you don't lose control over the character? You lose your weapon, big whoop-de-doo, BS and you have it back again. It is at most an interrupt, which cannot really be called a CC ability since... you still control the character. If it stunned you at the same time, I'd call it a CC since you'd lose control over the character. But it doesn't. CROWD CONTROL, control other people. You do that with a disarm that is easily affected/negated with gear, enchants, talents (and in some cases racials)? Nope. Roots are CC (you lose mobility, partial control), stuns are CC (you lose control), fears are CC (you lose control). Disarm is more or less an interrupt, which doesn't make you lose control over anything, easily negated and all that jazz I've already said and don't bother repeating, since you don't take it in anyway.

So why do you consider Disarm a CC? Interrupting a spell is quite different from stunning the spellcaster. You don't lose any control with it. And I knew the rating would come up, but you keep forgetting... 3 Dwarves made difference in Southern Barrens campaign. When we fought, Alliance won. When we were bystanders, Alliance lost. I fought my way up to 1550 with 2 prot Warriors (totally wrong spec for PvP, not to mention the talents...) to prove people like you wrong, you just keep dying whenever I see you in a fight. So tell me, Dixie, since you obviously are so knowledgable in terms of PvP... Do you feel proud over getting boosted to higher ratings? Wink

Last edited by Cid on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Cid
Cid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kadnir Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:22 am

Perhaps it's a subjective term, but if you ask me, getting disarmed or even silenced doesn't really count as being crowd controlled, CC for me is something that makes you loose control over your character, all of it.
Kadnir
Kadnir

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:23 am

Sheesh, how is it a CC if you don't lose control over the character?

Because you do lose control of your character. Silence is also a CC. Silence stops healers from healing and stops spellcasters (and DKs, wooh) from doing damage. Disarm is a CC because it prevents enemy characters from doing certain stuff.

Also: 1550 is easy no matter what your comp. Hell, I got to 1700 in season 12 playing double resto druid. Swallow that. Furthermore, and I don't expect you to believe this: I earned my 2k achievements fair and square. In fact, if anything, my 2v2 one was me boosting a druid, not the other way around. You never die in WPVP because you're a fucking prot warrior. In the only RP PVP event I can remember fighting with you, I was a resto druid and you were a prot warrior. You did perhaps 3% of the total damage and was largely not a threat at all to the horde. Who do you think they focus? That's right. The healer. That's why I died more than you. Because I was a more valuable target. If you knew the first thing about WPVP you'd know that obviously you're not going to be focused as a tank.

And with that, I'm done. Fuck. But eh, what can you expect from the warrior who thought full freedom in Avatar was balanced and who went mad when told that S12 taste for blood was OP.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Read and weep. Disarm isn't CC. And going 3 seasons back to find posts (before I got banned on Blizz forums) about me arguing for Avatar is one thing, but I later on agreed that ToB was indeed OP, but couldn't post. You're grasping after straws now, trying to discredit me.

Last edited by Cid on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Cid
Cid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:31 am

Crowd Control (abbreviated CC) refers to spells and abilities which limit an opponent's ability to fight.

It can be very much counted as a CC.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:34 am

Can be counted, isn't counted. Wide difference.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 am

Disarm and Silence are/were both "soft" CC.
Not full loss of control but partial loss of ability use.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:38 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Fine there.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:40 am

Also that. Bluepost > WoWwiki/WoWpedia
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:44 am

No, that would be an ability that has diminishing returns, Lore takes up which abilities and CC shares diminishing return.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next