Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The current value of Money In Characterly?

+20
Zalissa
Kittrina
Amaryl
Thelos
Littlepip
Rargnasha
Muzjhath
Coppersocket
Shanyuan
Raenmar
Sohan
Vaell
Broncrast
erwtenpeller
Feral / Blackfall
Ixirar
siegmund
Anivitas
Bradley
Skarain
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The current value of Money In Characterly? Empty The current value of Money In Characterly?

Post by Skarain Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:57 pm

There was a time now long in the past when long charts were made how much each thing would cost. However those are two years old at best, so i am curious, what is the "current" value for Gold? How much would -you- pay for a pint, a sword, a horse, so forth.

I am aware that this is highly subjective and often ignored because the value of money is different for each and every person, but i am curious of what values individual people of -current- date use for Money

Some old charts from the past, [Feb 27, 2011]:
(We in Wild Tempest are trying to set numbers for soldier salaries because it have been requested, thus the question)
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

The current value of Money In Characterly? Empty Re: The current value of Money In Characterly?

Post by Bradley Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Cartel and the Regiment has been using more or less the same system for quite a while, very similiar to the chart that Meln made a while ago. For instance, lets say a pint would cost a few copper, and for the cartel atleast, five gold is considered a lot of money. Ten gold would be a fortune. Horse, or mechanic mounts, 2-3g depending on the quality, a house within the city, 7g or more, depending on the location of the house.
Bradley
Bradley

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

The current value of Money In Characterly? Empty Re: The current value of Money In Characterly?

Post by Anivitas Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:28 pm

I've always pretty much treated my money the same as Bradley pointed out.
Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet
Name: The Reaper.
Title: Titleception.

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

I've just followed what i heard and that was like a mug of ale like a silver coin but then again i never cared that much for prices, just on rare occasions. But i kinda knew copper should be used more i just never bothered. But yeah i like this system.

Though that earning for guards and so on it's ment per day right?
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Bradley wrote:Cartel and the Regiment has been using more or less the same system for quite a while, very similiar to the chart that Meln made a while ago. For instance, lets say a pint would cost a few copper, and for the cartel atleast, five gold is considered a lot of money. Ten gold would be a fortune. Horse, or mechanic mounts, 2-3g depending on the quality, a house within the city, 7g or more, depending on the location of the house.
Can you copy-paste/link those charts?
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Inran/Skarain wrote:
Bradley wrote:Cartel and the Regiment has been using more or less the same system for quite a while, very similiar to the chart that Meln made a while ago. For instance, lets say a pint would cost a few copper, and for the cartel atleast, five gold is considered a lot of money. Ten gold would be a fortune. Horse, or mechanic mounts, 2-3g depending on the quality, a house within the city, 7g or more, depending on the location of the house.
Can you copy-paste/link those charts?
It's the one in your original post.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:00 am

Most of it seems to be about what I RP'd; I saw some things as a BIT more than that in some cases, the stuff we had showed drinks (ales, brandy, wine and the like) as a silver or two, I think my Blade was taking ~50 silver a man for a decently dangerous job, a gold or more for life-threatening?

I think a horse was seen as ~10g, a decent to good one at least. I remember one thing the Freelancers ran was offering something like 10g/person/day for four days, about a year ago or more now, but that was seen as AMAZING! xD

Just throwing in what I've seen!
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:33 am

I've decided to just go with the most obvious thing for my own role-play, and that is to use the in-game economy (action house) as a reference. Apparently gold is not that big a deal in wow, and no one ever said it should be.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:35 am

Well yeah thing is i never was good with all that. Thing is when you consider gold to not be that much, you ask yourself why copper exists. I probably might think of making some kind of how much you get payed thing for Freelancers and a bit more for payment. But yeah frankly that's why i tend to make people offer prices.

I think mostly what's written up is fairly well. I mean i guess one could follow the vendor prices lightly as well, but i think at least some basic things like ale or food would be copper and even then gold can be not that great. But again if we look at the Ironforge bounties recently posted. Dayum set for life, then again those kills are not -that- simple. Still 500 gold for one member of some group is pretty high if you follow this system.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Broncrast Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:37 am

In my opinion, the "game world" and the "RP world" are very different in world of warcraft, in the RP world gold should be exactly that, gold.
Gold has value and isn't something you just throw around casually, and giving away 500 gold for a bountyhead was it? is about as much gold as a king would have.
Think of the RP community as you would in the era of knights, we have ALL seen atleast 1 or 2 movies where they ride horses and everytime someone sees a golden coin they drool a little and go wide-eyed.

I RP out from Skarain's chart in the top here (or was it Meln who made it?) because it makes alot of sense, most people wouldn't have more then maybe a few silver, if even a gold to their name unless they are of nobility or some other highstanding class of society.
Broncrast
Broncrast

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:03 am

erwtenpeller wrote:I've decided to just go with the most obvious thing for my own role-play, and that is to use the in-game economy (action house) as a reference. Apparently gold is not that big a deal in wow, and no one ever said it should be.
By that logic, I like to log off on WoW because no one said it was ever OOC. My character just vanishes because that's in the game and therefore it's IC. Also, I killed Arthas a bunch of times because that's in the game and therefore IC.

Seriously, in game mechanics are a little obvious. The auction house has undergone massive inflation (which doesn't make much sense considering gold deposits are becoming rarer) and it's simply to make a game-based economy.

It's arguable how much gold one person should have but to say you should be walking around with 1k is ridiculous.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:59 am

It is only ridiculous because some role-players have decided it is. I have decided it isn't, I like to look at the actual worth of gold, and the Shatterskull Marauders usually do the same. When we have a tournament, there is a prize to be won of up to 10k gold, and the winner is actually given that gold, instead of some arbitrary pretend value.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sohan Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:04 pm

So you're saying I'm walking around with ~60k gold? Cool! Very Happy

Jokes aside, everyone are entitled to their own opinion. I treat the value of gold as similar to the chart in the first post.
Sohan
Sohan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://canthandlemyswag.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Well 10k gold coins that must be a heavy chest!
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it makes no sense and is clearly game mechanics. 10k gold is the equivalent to someone winning 3 - 4 Gold Mines if you go by Warcraft 3. You actually go around role-playing that money you have won from questing/killing respawnable mobs is your character's gold? Gold isn't printed and it's treated as a precious stone! How could it inflate?

It's ridiculous because you're role-playing something which is so obviously game mechanics. It's as bad as someone role-playing having killed Deathwing twenty times or having killed an army single-handedly because they were grinding gold. Again, you're entitled to the opinion and I can't say you're not allowed to do it, I'm simply pointing out how little sense it makes.

The original system of gold being worth something creates role-play. It gives status and provides class gaps along with giving characters something to achieve. For example, an honest man might turn to become a criminal because of the idea of gold. It also allows people to rp what they want without wasting their real life time farming in game gold.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Gold's still worth something. It's just worth less.

I take as many game mechanics in-character as I can, because game mechanics dictate the world that my character lives in. The further we stray from the actual game, the stranger role-play gets.

I consider level 90 characters to be more powerful then lower level characters.
I consider magical gems and enchanted axes perfectly valid role-play.
Warriors leaving trails of fire as they charge and levitating when the shout are a normal thing in the world I see.
Resurrecting people back from the dead is something that happens quite frequently.

Something like killing an important world boss and having participated in certain quests is not kept out of role-play because it is game mechanics, it's kept out of role-play because it creates the awkward situation where something that is supposed to happen only once, has actually happened dozens of times.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:18 pm

I consider level 90 characters to be more powerful then lower level characters.
I consider magical gems and enchanted axes perfectly valid role-play.
Warriors leaving trails of fire as they charge and levitating when the shout are a normal thing in the world I see.
Resurrecting people back from the dead is something that happens quite frequently.
So if a level 90 decides to roleplay a beggar or a poor thief, you consider them an extremely powerful thief and you think they should roleplay having a few thousand gold because that's what they have ingame?

The game mechanics really, really, REALLY aren't designed with roleplay in mind, which is why most people don't follow them. It's extremely restricting.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:47 pm

And Kro'kron that wait for you to get into 10 yards of them before they decide to attack you, otherwise just stand and stare at people and go "For the true warchief!" count as well?

I take some things in and some i don't : P but not everything of both sides. Each to their own.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Shanyuan Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:08 pm

How exactly does one go about carrying thousands, or even hundreds of gold coins around? Gold is sorta heavy. Not to mention rare. How would Azeroth's gold supply, support thousands and thousands of people, having upwards of 20.000+ gold each? Where would they get it from?

If you say it's wages, where did the people who pay those wages get it from? And how can they possibly give out such sums on a regular basis? I don't even mean how they'd be able to afford giving it out, I'm wondering how it'd be possibly to dig out that amount of gold out of the ground. It's rare, yeah? And not really as simple as taking a shovel out to the backyard and just digging.

Shanyuan

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:32 pm

I play an adventurer. A hero. Not a peasant.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:53 pm

siegmund wrote:Well yeah thing is i never was good with all that. Thing is when you consider gold to not be that much, you ask yourself why copper exists.
As an American, I've no fucking idea why copper still exists. ;D

On a sidenote, remember erwentpeller isn't trying to change you guys's system, just contributing how they RP as per requested, and you know that you won't change his in a simple forum post, try not to kill one another over it?  Or if you do--can I have your gold?
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:09 pm

The game is designed with gameplay in mind. We all play the same story depending what faction you're in. You're told the exact same things in 99% of quests as each other - the whole hero argument is something different altogether, as I personally believe that there are only a group of 20 - 40 odd player heroes on both sides and I think the game kind of supports that. Levels do not dictate what a character should be, that's entirely down to immersion. The Warcraft world does not have numbers and names above everyone's heads in character. You sound like an incredibly uncreative role-player! I would prefer someone playing a dragon to RP with than someone who thinks they're a god because they've farmed Garrosh on hardmode.

Now, back on point. Lets apply gold to game mechanics and how it is collected. Take a questing zone like Uldum and say you get 500g from the quest-line there. Someone else does the exact same quest-line and gets about the same amount of gold. Isn't that technically the same gold? Most quests are only supposed to happen once and that is where a major amount of gold comes from. No one is trying to stop Erwt, Feral, we're just arguing that it's incredibly flawed. Why are there starving people in Westfall if everyone has thousands of gold?

Yeah, I don't know how anyone carries around 10k gold. Do you do bank transfers?

EDIT: Everyone, near enough, according to the game mechanics and story plays the same character.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Feral / Blackfall wrote:
siegmund wrote:Well yeah thing is i never was good with all that. Thing is when you consider gold to not be that much, you ask yourself why copper exists.
On behalf of all Copper out there, I say: Fuck you
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Autobutt Copper wrote:
Feral / Blackfall wrote:
On behalf of all Copper out there, I say: Fuck you
OH GOD I'M SORRY. I wasn't trying to be Socket-racist, oh god, oh god...
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Broncrast Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:36 pm

Like I said, RP-world and game-world, two very separate things.

A poor man can't just think "I should really do something with my life!" then go kill random stuff to earn 1k gold and then live like a king.
Broncrast
Broncrast

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next