Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Npc's, player homes and money.

+10
Raene
Allonia_Miral
Ralegh
Cathee Norris
Vaell
Drustai
Rmuffn
siegmund
Tuomas/Decurius
Littlepip
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Npc's, player homes and money. Empty Npc's, player homes and money.

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:58 am

Money
I have noticed a small problem in the community, I my self have this problem to with some of my characters and that is money I have.
I often catch myself saying, "How much gold do I have?" *Opens the backpack OOC and looks on the amount of gold*.
Where did I gain those money? who paid me? When?
Those three questions never even hit me before today, we have a major problem as far as I can see and that i money. The only guild that is doing this correct right now (At least I think they do) Is the Cartel!

Homes
I have noticed that almost some characters are missing homes, the Cartel can sleep outside or inside their HQ while Soldiers, guards and mages also could have their own places where they sleep in a bunch, but what about the civilians? Where do they live and how did they afford to this house? More importantly who did they buy it from?

Npc's
Now this is something I em really wondering about, are they really there? Are they kill able and if so will the Npc's be replaced by someone?
Say for example this happens:
*Martha kills Carl who usually walks to the Blue recluse yelling things to the public*
Next day would it be someone else there or would he just simply not be there?

I know this is a strange post and probably no one will be very interested in it but this is really bothering me.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Npc's, player homes and money. Empty Re: Npc's, player homes and money.

Post by Tuomas/Decurius Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:16 am

From easier to more difficult:

NPCs aren't killable, for the simple reason that they respawn and they keep walking around later as if nothing happened. Besides, they're lore characters and so they can't by lore be killed unless Blizzard says so. As a tendence roleplayers tend to mostly ignore them anyway, or to use addons to roleplay them in case of need(as for example the Blades do with Reese), but as a tendence, they're only a silent presence.

Money is quite a thing. I'm sure somehow somewhere in the forums there's a sort of money change topic, but it's really an in defiasrp thing which most people don't follow. I'd go for a more symbolic use of money. State that you are poor, average, or rich, and behave accordingly. Where does the money come from? Say your char has a little job which he does off-screen(nothing odd, think for example at the fishing/cooking dailies), this, of course, if your job is not a huge part of your roleplay(guards or priests, looking at you). Of course, depends, my dk for example was able to keep most of his money 'til recently and so he was averagely rich(not like a nobleman, but sure more than most of the average citizens).

Homes are a bit tricky, because there are not many buildings available to roleplay homes, or fitting that, especially in Stormwind(we like it or not, the main rp hub), and having a house or not, and a house which you use is really char dependent. In my own case, it took time to get the house(you little pricky bastard burned) in Elwynn, and the whole buying and furnishing was done off-screen mostly, and the whole cost my char most if not all of his money. From whom he bought it? An old farmer of Elwynn, who had it together with another farm.
In short, depends: in case of my char 'A Place to Call Home' was a goal, and so very important, but for many of them it's just a place to return to sleep after the thousands adventures, crimes, risks and so on they lived during the day, so with little to no importance.
Tuomas/Decurius
Tuomas/Decurius

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 am

A lot of things happen off-screen. Mostly money and homes. Some of my chars do have homes, like my Paladin in redridge, but i don't really rp it out. Just has a home. Or you could have a home in SW, but not really rp it out icly It's just somewhere in SW *shrug*. That or say you stay in a inn or something.

For money i don't really concentrate that much. Dec's idea is right. Poor/Avarage/Rich and all that inbetween. Since most use diffrent systems you can never expect to have it just right.

NPC's Dec explained that part.

you little pricky bastard burned

Hide your houses!

siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am

Hide your houses!

Mwahaha, that was one of the best Death Knight Roleplay's I have done so far :3
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:52 am

Money doesn't work the way you portrayed it. My ooc gold has nothing to do with my IC gold.
My characters have money fitting their stature and position.

Houses. Many people roleplay having possession of a house, even in Stormwind. Sure game mechanicly you can't enter it. But ICly, they have it. -A lot- of people do that.

NPCs aren't to be ignored, they're there, but we don't generally kill them.
There are cases in the rumour mill when someone say they killed some random beggar (perhaps?) doesn't mean it has had to be NPCs.

One shouldn't ignore them though, that's bad. (Unless they're the sort of NPC who wants to stand inside of you during a war meeting! >Sad )
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 am

Haha, yeah like the dwarf and the human in the Pig and Whistle, when they come into the house I always facepalm myself because I now know that there is going to be less place to stand at the table/desk/counter.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 am

Point in most NPCs, is that they are generally there. Some you may ignore at random times for specific reasons.

One example is like certain garisons are not really ever empty, even if no Ic char is there. Or the guards that walk around. Ok you cant really interact with them well, but it does mean there is a rpesence of guards always around even as NPC. Generally why it is a bad idea to randomly go at someone in the open. Also you have Gryphon mounted NPCs patroling the sky and so on and on. You can't fully ignore their presance.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:08 am

For money, I personally go by Melnerag's economy thread in the Stormwind Community forum here, which gives more "realistic" values. Though I vastly prefer going with general amounts of money rather than hard numbers. If I have to describe value, I try and use comparisons (commoner's yearly wage, etc) so I don't have to worry about people's different interpretations.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 am

Hide your houses!

You will be next Sieg! Mwahaha.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:38 am

Firstly, as this is relevant to all three points, you need to understand that Stormwind is a lot bigger than it is in game. Obviously Blizzard cannot make an entire continent to scale (or at least on WoW release it wasn't possible). It's the capital city of the Alliance so you need to picture it as such, with some streets streaming with people, homeless people taking to the corners of Old Town - trade district would be a hub of people selling their wares and you'd have to push through crowds to get through it. So with that kind of focus in mind...

NPCs are killable. The ones that are not are the ones you can physically see (for reasons stated previously). You need to use your imagination and picture a city with a lot more inhabitants. If you want Martha to kill a few NPCs, have her do so. Just don't go overboard because a back alley murder here and there is possible, a GTA killing spree is a little silly in the hub of the Alliance.

Homes are under the same category. Things like the Lady, Pig and CC are occupied, but if you find an empty house in Dwarven District, you can always pretend it is your own even if it isn't situated at that point. Again, use your imagination!

Money is a confusing system. I, personally, agree with Drustai. I try to avoid talking about currency in game because it always leads to disagreements but I look at it like this:
- Your character may have 10k gold on him from your questing. Think back to that questing and notice that people are paying you to do massively heroic deeds beyond most men's capabilities. The gold also inflates due to expansions but I don't like to take that ICly because 100g being a lot in Vanilla and then a few years later 50k being a lot is such a vast difference.
- So much gold would have been spent on the war effort. Therefore, for lowly jobs like a private in the guard, I imagine you wouldn't get much at all. A couple of silver a week to get you by.
- If we had so much gold and could go and buy 17 copper loaves of bread, why are so many people starving in Westeros? You can't look at the in game mechanics.
- Just try not to speak about it to much. I've had a situation where my guard was fined 50g for attacking a prisoner. That's a full 40 odd years wages by my system.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 am

I'd say when it comes to houses: Just pick a random building and say it is your house (which is somewhere else in the city) for the few times you RP in the house. If another roleplayer is there one day, pick another house. There are too few buildings in the city for people to claim buildings as their very own, imo - especially when it is only for one single person to RP rather then say a whole guild.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralegh Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 am

Vaell makes some good points and i agree with him... just have to...
Vaell wrote:
- If we had so much gold and could go and buy 17 copper loaves of bread, why are so many people starving in Westeros?
Westfall*
There... done...
Ralegh
Ralegh

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:03 am

NPCs are killable.

Well in that case I em going to activate operation Red mist city.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 am

Martha Duskbringer wrote:
NPCs are killable.

Well in that case I em going to activate operation Red mist city.

Don't go overboard....
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:11 pm

Ooh no, I em just planning on killing of a couple of Imaginery Npc's using the Blood mist, its still in experimental modus and usually needs a great amount of blood magic to create, going to need help with this from the cartel.. So I cant wait for this >Very Happy

The Blood Mist can also harm others, but that is up to them and not for me to decide.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 pm

I'll be honest Martha, sometimes, it seems like you're just reinventing the wheel here darling.

The questions you ask here have been answered numerous times not only on this site but on dozens upon dozens of guides out there.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Really? Where? *Martha looks trough the 5386 topics on Defiasrp.com

Last edited by Martha Duskbringer on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:49 pm

http://wow.joystiq.com/category/all-the-worlds-a-stage/

Here's a good start. Branch out from there and ask me when you need more.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:39 pm

Thank you *Bows*
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like you. I know it might seem I'm a bit condescending at times, and I apologise, but I think a little bit of proactivity on your half might do you some good in the long run.

Still, take a look through those guides, let me know if you need more reading material (that's not all the worlds a stage) and I'll see what I can find with a google search.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Once again,
Martha Duskbringer wrote:Thank you *Bows*
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm

1) Money: As far as money goes it's a rather obscure and rather overlooked RP convention. I mean, who wants to walk into a bar to realize that their character doesn't have enough change to buy themselves a drink. Then you have it where some people walk around offering thousands of gold for someone to do something ICly for them. I mean, yeah, where'd that come from!

Personally I have two characters I RP, each of them has a different way of coming by money:

A) Eliza (Death Knight): Eliza finds herself well flushed with gold, but being both a Kaldorei and a Death Knight, she has little understanding or want for the wealth she accumulates. Either way, she keeps it on hand for reasons of trade but has no specific needs. She spends A LOT of gold on drinking, she'll tap at least a keg a sitting if possible. Though the alcohol doesn't affect her, it calms her psychologically. How does she come by this wealth? Killing. Plain and simple, Eliza murders humanoids and whatever they have she takes. You'd be surprised how well oricsh blades and armor go for with certain goblin markets. She also has a friend who likes to collect artifacts of the deceased (ie: grave-robbing) and interestingly enough people get buried with some pricy items. Besides, people have this thing about dying that makes them give her free stuff all the time.

B) Gwenavale (Rogue): Gwen is a simple Worgen Rogue and a member of Ravenholdt. Her day to day activities involve sharpening her skills, training her hand and claw combat, and selling fruit on the streets of Stormwind. She's the sweetest, clumsiest, and friendliest person around and she'll sell you any of her fresh picked fruit for just a few copper... if she's in human form. Gwen is only in worgen form when Ravenholdt has a contract for her to be filled. Gwen has numerous times fallen on the kindness of strangers for a meal as she won't eat her own inventory and frequently finds herself unable to pay for a three meal day.

2) Housing: This one gets tricky but the best way to look at it is, join a guild, stay in their barracks. There is housing all over the place and it's easy to claim... that's the problem, it's easy! You'll find that anyone may be in your house at any given time. Safest thing to do is to find residence outside of the city walls. Even if there's not a house there, you can still claim you have one.

3) NPCs: Not a clue what to say to this one. Honestly they're just kind of the faceless ghosts that float around the city. Strike them down and two more are there in their place. But how many times do you notice someone on the street in your town? Let a lone a massive city (SW / Org are NOT TO SCALE!).

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:29 pm

I also go by general terms. For example, my character Phillip in the Cartel I describe as "Relatively poor", and as such RP him as being rather driven to the possibility of making/saving money. While my character Kavalis, being a Lordaeronian noble, still is rich from his inherited family fortune, so when I RP him I don't RP gold as being an issue.

Ixirar has never had the issue brought up but I reckon if it became relevant she'd carry enough for her to get by but not more than that as she can generally sustain herself from nature, so money is a non-interest for her.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Martha Duskbringer wrote:Money
I have noticed a small problem in the community, I my self have this problem to with some of my characters and that is money I have.
I often catch myself saying, "How much gold do I have?" *Opens the backpack OOC and looks on the amount of gold*.
Where did I gain those money? who paid me? When?
Those three questions never even hit me before today, we have a major problem as far as I can see and that i money. The only guild that is doing this correct right now (At least I think they do) Is the Cartel!

It depends on how much wealth is apart of your char. If you want poor/rich to be apart of your RP it can be but I would not use ooc gold, act it out. Jarric is rich and he splashes the cash about if needed, sometimes he can be tight if there is no value for spending it. For the poor chars you can "sell" that aspect of your char in many ways, use a rough cheap sword for example, or second hand mismatched armour, frayed clothing. Much of it is down to you as a RPer. Some will take this further and be begging ic, or struggling to find food, for others their economic position does not really play apart in the RP they wish to present and generally they do not focus on it, it doesnt really matter it is just about using RP tools to present your char to others.

But I would not use ooc gold in this at all, it is just a mechanic like level or faction rep.

Homes
I have noticed that almost some characters are missing homes, the Cartel can sleep outside or inside their HQ while Soldiers, guards and mages also could have their own places where they sleep in a bunch, but what about the civilians? Where do they live and how did they afford to this house? More importantly who did they buy it from?

There are loads of homes in the world, I would not suggest making it yours alone but if you occasionally need to use one then you can. Sometimes I have Jarric in eastvale and call the place the hamlet of Buckholme. Mostly Jarric is just seen in town and he will sleep in his town home (which just means I log off). Home is just scenery really, if you are playing a housebound char or running a regular shop then rping in these places alot will let others know you can be found there. Otherwise just use what you can and dw too much. There are not enough homes for everyone so we share and mostly it doesnt matter where people go to sleep.

Npc's
Now this is something I em really wondering about, are they really there? Are they kill able and if so will the Npc's be replaced by someone?
Say for example this happens:
*Martha kills Carl who usually walks to the Blue recluse yelling things to the public*
Next day would it be someone else there or would he just simply not be there?

I know this is a strange post and probably no one will be very interested in it but this is really bothering me.

If you cant kill someone then you cant XD What you can do with mobs is use them as adds in your RP in DM events ect. Sometimes you can just ignore them. But what you cant really do is be the person who killed them. In the example you give it would be better to say "you killed generic townsfolk1" Even give him a name or even better, get a guildie to roll a lvl 1 char and kill him. Asking the server to forget about carl as you killed him will be impossible to do.

So think in terms of presenting your RP and working with others rather than the technicalities of who owns/earns/lives in what/where. Smile
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:38 am

Thank you all for answering. Very Happy
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next