Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 points towards being a better roleplayer

+20
Lexgrad
Iriel Silversong
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Ixirar
siegmund
Norrian/Chezz
Muzjhath
Coppersocket
Grim
Paia/Jenit
Solanum
Exigua
Thrakha
Raenmar
Allonia_Miral
erwtenpeller
Thelos
Drustai
Kittrina
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

11 points towards being a better roleplayer - Page 2 Empty Re: 11 points towards being a better roleplayer

Post by Grim Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:03 pm

It looks psychotic!
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

11 points towards being a better roleplayer - Page 2 Empty Re: 11 points towards being a better roleplayer

Post by Thelos Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Grim wrote:It looks psychotic!

Maybe if you used both eyes -

Oh. You can't.

Because -

Oh.

I'm so, so sorry.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Norrian/Chezz Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Those are things that have been said time and time again. Nothing new or original in this post thingie.
Norrian/Chezz
Norrian/Chezz

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

http://last.fm/user/icetorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:05 pm

Things do not have to be new to be valuable or worth remembering.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Drus, you forget that this is the internet. If something's been in place for a week it's "Old" and thus not worth anything.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Norrian/Chezz Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:45 am

But we do remember them. That is why they are not worth mentioning.
Norrian/Chezz
Norrian/Chezz

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:43 am

Norrian/Chezz wrote:But we do remember them. That is why they are not worth mentioning.

So then by "We" you are speaking for everyone on this forum, even those yet to join it. Or do you just refer to yourself as "We"?
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 am

Norrian, do you ever have anything worthwhile to say?
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 am

Am I the only one who sees the irony in necroing a thread to comment on how useless it is?
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:40 am

Thelos wrote:Am I the only one who sees the irony in necroing a thread to comment on how useless it is?

10+ good sir.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:05 am

Norrian/Chezz wrote:But we do remember them. That is why they are not worth mentioning.

To be blunt, from all my encounters with you in game, you've shown no sign you understand any of these, in the least, but have been passive-aggressive, attention-hungry, and stalled entire guild's roleplay so that your character could have the spotlight.
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:42 am

Kittrina wrote:

To be blunt, from all my encounters with you in game, you've shown no sign you understand any of these, in the least, but have been passive-aggressive, attention-hungry, and stalled entire guild's roleplay so that your character could have the spotlight.

Ouch.

11 points towards being a better roleplayer - Page 2 550px-10
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:52 am

Here we go. Let the fucking grand circlejerk begin.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Iriel Silversong Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:30 pm

siegmund wrote:

So then by "We" you are speaking for everyone on this forum, even those yet to join it. Or do you just refer to yourself as "We"?

Mmm mmmmmaybe
Iriel Silversong
Iriel Silversong

Character sheet
Name: Iriel
Title: Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Iriel Silversong Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Edited
Iriel Silversong
Iriel Silversong

Character sheet
Name: Iriel
Title: Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:59 pm

People debate but dont know how,
But Irene is hot elf guard.
Kitt killed Dreth and then left wow.
and RP is quite hard.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Norrian/Chezz Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Kittrina wrote:
That's funny because I don't remember RPing with you.

And I just play my character. All those things are true tho.
Norrian/Chezz
Norrian/Chezz

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:55 pm

Including your Blood Elf BK too. Seems to be a trait all your characters share.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:46 am

Jesus fuck, do we now berate people because we don't like what they do IC?
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 am

Raenmar wrote:Jesus fuck, do we now berate people because we don't like what they do IC?
Yes, isn't it grand?
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 am

On the original post:
I've delayed replying to the post to gather my thoughts on it for a while. I really don't like the original post.

The writer makes a few interesting points but I struggled to read through the whole text simply because the focus of the text doesn't seem to be about roleplay at all. It isn't a constructive post on roleplay. It doesn't help me, nor can I imagine many roleplayers who would actually be taught anything useful by this post. At no point does he explain something that can actually help me roleplay a priest, or an engineer, or a medic, or a paladin, or a general, or a thug. There's no method, no technique, no theory.

The overall tone is a let down and reveals what really is the topic at hand. What the tone betrays is a clear frustration from a GM and fellow roleplayer that his participants/coplayers don't seem to do what he designed them to do, and he's outing his frustrations. That's what it's really about.

The author focuses on building his ego. There's a clear need to position oneself as "above" others with a list of references that are supposed to mean something, and the ever-serving argument of "having read a lot" and "having played a lot".
*deep voice* "Behold my mighty resume which dwarfs the stone tablets from mozes!"
Ohh, there's the obligatory "I'm not perfect and I'm humble" disclaimer. *nod* but he doesn't stick to that humble attitude one bit in the remainder of his post. In order words: I don't think he meant a single word of that 'humble note'.

In his arguments, the author forgets to note the single most important thing: roleplay is a social event. How do you fix a problem in a social event?
Sit down and talk about it. Talk about your goals, what's working and what's not. You're all equals and all in this together. Talk about what you want to achieve together and what not. Talk.

And if you really want to improve roleplay, talk about the theory behind it and how to construct fun interactions.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:46 am

Norrian, it's only been a couple of times, in groups, but you left me with a powerfully negative first impression. And I don't mean- writing quality or- ic actions, anything along those lines, I mean oocly. I'm not playing rp-police, but both times were mid a group rp session (one, a council session, the other a Blades+other guild (can't recall which) event hunting cultists when we bumped into your demon hunter in westfall) which were both derailed entirely to spend hours around your character without a thought to anyone else. If you want to talk about it more please take it to PMs as this is completely derailed from the point of this thread.

I apologise for my tone, I was very snarky/abrupt but it's incredibly frustrating when people rather than giving full responses and continuing the discussion, instead remark 'we don't need to talk about any of this everything has been said and done, why is this thread here at all....' and so on.

It feels sometimes that we cannot even raise a possibility of improving rp- that nobody is a good enough critic, that it is somehow elitist. My point of view is in trying to tell better stories and make sure everyone gets a decent share of the limelight, and are thinking collaboratively rather than mememe. Overall this forum seems to have trouble with constructive criticism, or any criticism, which means issues remain undressed until they flare into full-blown drama.
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 am

Just for the record, Kitt, I was referring to the author of the 11-point post you pasted, not you... Unless you are its author Very Happy

This just feels like a social issue really, which is affecting roleplay, rather than "bad roleplay". Is your concept of roleplay being challenged, or are you feeling unappreciated as a fellow roleplayer?
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 pm

JP, as for your points. One of the authors 11 points -was- sit down and talk about it if there's a problem.

This isn't a "Do this, do that" sheet.
It's a few pointers of think's and think not's. I see it far more as something humble than something arrogant.
It points you towards "Be a teamplayer", "Don't be a dick", "Your IC actions matter, not your OOC words".
Considering that most roleplayers (I will be elitist here) that Roleplay on WoW (that I've interacted with) seem to follow the "ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!" agenda of that THEIR fun is the first primary and screw everyone else. I'd say it's very valid. Most RPers you see in WoW are the kind who'll complain "WHY DON'T WE DO MORE EVENTS?" yet never lead/create one. (Again, from my experience).
These 11 points, in how I read them, tells you to not be that person.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:37 pm

I think this entire thread is useless. As is the discussion had in it.

Its one of those: "Look at me, I'm so awesome, and Light's grace to RP as I reflect on my awesome sauce compared to these arbitrary points, Now lets see who I can shit on."

Though, If I'm honest, I sure like those threads.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next