Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 points towards being a better roleplayer

+20
Lexgrad
Iriel Silversong
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Ixirar
siegmund
Norrian/Chezz
Muzjhath
Coppersocket
Grim
Paia/Jenit
Solanum
Exigua
Thrakha
Raenmar
Allonia_Miral
erwtenpeller
Thelos
Drustai
Kittrina
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

11 points towards being a better roleplayer Empty 11 points towards being a better roleplayer

Post by Kittrina Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm

So, I came across this article which although written from a PnP point of view rather than WoW, has a tonne of relevant points to it that are sorely needed in most online rp I've come-across. Points 5 & 6 are probably the least relavent because of the nature of WoW rp, but what do people think of the rest? Text below for the link-shy:

Spoiler:
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

11 points towards being a better roleplayer Empty Re: 11 points towards being a better roleplayer

Post by Drustai Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:30 pm

I like these points.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

11 points towards being a better roleplayer Empty Re: 11 points towards being a better roleplayer

Post by Thelos Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 pm

#1 is the most important for me.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Posting to remind myself to read this later.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Haha I like this one. Good points and funny too.
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:46 pm

FOUR. Take full control of your character.

I disagree with this. Changing your character just so you can go to an event or whatever doesn't necessarily make you a better RPer. For me an unnatural change to my character sort of ruins the RP.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thrakha Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:27 pm

I would agree to an extend with most of these points.

However, many (particularly regarding PVP & control of one's character) are highly subjective.

This list perhaps needs a 'Rule 12: Get Over Yourself.  You are not the supreme moral authority on roleplaying.  You just have a set of subjective opinions.  Discuss them, don't lay down the law.'
Thrakha
Thrakha

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm

To be fair as I said the guy's written it from a pen and paper point of view- I dunno how many people who rp on defias have also done tabletop, but the focus is different, the presence of a GM tends to mean player-versus-player is pretty rare, though conflicts can and do happen that's not what most tabletop roleplaying systems are geared towards (which some exceptions like he said).

I just found the whole thing fairly interesting, tabletop's so different but so similar to online in a lot of ways. But reading over the points, the majority of times I've gone 'eh, this isn't fun' is when people- myself included now and then- were ignoring these ideas or going directly against them. 

The main things I took from it were the remarks about being more pro-active and actually committing to rp rather than logging on and standing about with your finger up your arse. And above all being more group and story-minded rather than self-focused.
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Thrakha Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:56 pm

I've played pen & paper for somewhat over twenty years.

Many of that writer's points are subjective when it comes to pen & paper.
Thrakha
Thrakha

Back to top Go down

Post by Exigua Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 pm

I agree partly with some of them. However I find most of it poorly written... Being more humble would vastly have improved it in my opinion. Then again, I never did PnP
Exigua
Exigua

Back to top Go down

Post by Solanum Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:38 am

Thank you for posting this!
This together with the follow up : http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/23/stanislavski-vs-brecht-in-tabletop-roleplaying/ was a great read.
Solanum
Solanum

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 am

Raenmar wrote:
FOUR. Take full control of your character.

I disagree with this. Changing your character just so you can go to an event or whatever doesn't necessarily make you a better RPer. For me an unnatural change to my character sort of ruins the RP.

Making a character who never has any reasons to do anything does make you a pretty annoying person though. Especially if you then complain that nothing interesting ever happens to your character. Which is pretty much what they're saying.
Also remember that these were written for pencil and paper games where you're often in a fairly small group everyone is expected to take part in most, if not all of the game in some fashion. Otherwise what would be the point in playing?
That guy who never has his haughty elf ranger never do anything beyond take part in combat and sit about being haughty and emo is pretty irritating let me tell you. Especially when he then complains that the dwarf fighter the human wizard and the halfling rogue got interesting side-quests and he didn't despite the GM specifically making him several plot-hook quests based on his 9 page back-story* which he promptly ignored.

*Note, there is nothing inherently wrong with having a 9 page backstory.
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Paia wrote:
Making a character who never has any reasons to do anything does make you a pretty annoying person though. Especially if you then complain that nothing interesting ever happens to your character. .

Marry me.

(I'm sorry, Grim! His symmetrical phrasing just overwhelms my poetic fancies!)
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:51 am

OMG. I thought we had something?!

Interesting points however. I feel about gnomes the same way the author does about kender.

The one I disagree with, ish, is number four. There are really some things some characters wont do...
What if your goody two shoes character is invited to a baby-slaughtering-party? I think it'd be perfectly legit to have the character say "Erm... I'm busy. Need to... wash my hair." and not take part.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet
Name: Grim Stonepaw
Title: Warcaller

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 am

Grim wrote:The one I disagree with, ish, is number four. There are really some things some characters wont do...
What if your goody two shoes character is invited to a baby-slaughtering-party? I think it'd be perfectly legit to have the character say "Erm... I'm busy. Need to... wash my hair." and not take part.

Common sense.

It's a thing.

It's generally a good idea when reflecting upon an article presume that the author isn't a brainless idiot. I am sure the writer of this article isn't going to tell you that, in your case, you should alter your character in such a way that he could attend he baby-slaughtering-party, because that would be stupid.

There's lots of space between the two extremes. A lot more then at the edge, actually.

I invite everyone to join me here.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:16 am

Grim wrote:I feel about gnomes the same way the author does about kender.
You're a horrible person.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 am

It's funny, because it's you saying it!
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 am

Grim wrote:It's funny, because it's you saying it!
I think we can find ourselves in a mutual disagreement that satisfies both parties.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 am

11 points towards being a better roleplayer Y2OTuxz
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:41 am

...OK
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:51 am

Paia wrote:11 points towards being a better roleplayer Y2OTuxz
I read that in a Nixon of Futurama voice. With the jowels.

As for the article. I find it good, but non of the point should be taken to extremes.
PvP. If you go around and the ONLY thing you do is fight and try to kill other player characters, you will not be popular.

The "Oh I'm not doing that!" If you're playing a character that's 100% not part of the group, you will be boring. (Say, a puritan charcter who won't even enter a tavern in a group of drinkers who, generally, hang around inside a tavern).
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 pm

But there's nothing wrong with being boring, if it fits the character... I've often had Grim stand in corners at parties growling at anyone who dares try to make him enjoy himself.
And I'd rather log off and find something else to do than bend or break a character's personality sometimes. Not every time mind you, sometimes its freaking awesome to surprise everyone and roleplay your character acting differently.
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Grim wrote:
And I'd rather log off and find something else to do than bend or break a character's personality sometimes. Not every time mind you, sometimes its freaking awesome to surprise everyone and roleplay your character acting differently.

This is the thing really. Point 4 was written very specifically for tabletop/pencil and paper games. In WoW if there's nothing fitting your character's intentions you log off or do some Battlegrounds or Arenas or LFR or something and there should be enough players left that your absense/non-participation isn't a problem. I know that Paia in both her incarnations also doesn't particularly mix well with parties so I either don't attend them or I sit in the corner being quietly and unobtrusively rude to people.

Round a table if one of the players is refusing to take part in the game in a significant way you have a problem. Be it not everyone being on the same page about the aims or the tone of the game, which happens. Or just one stubborn individual being stupid, which also happens.

Either way the game isn't going to be as fun either for the majority who are on the same page or for the minority who aren't taking part.
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm

What on earth is your avatar picture and why do I love it so much?
Grim
Grim

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paia/Jenit Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:54 pm

It's from the cover of a really old Sci-Fi novel called "Clash of the Star Kings". The novel isn't very good but the cover is amazing.
Paia/Jenit
Paia/Jenit

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next