Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draenic Discourses on the Inner Light (Updated 25-7-2013 with: "The Army of Light Marches On")

+23
Rae Wulfgnar
Sorayah
Seranita
Cid
Thelos
Grufftoof
Skaraa
Grim
Drustai
Eowale
Shaelyssa
Morgaan
Ron Sexton
Cadaemus
Amaryl
Dharum
Skarain
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
corleth
Melnerag
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lexgrad
erwtenpeller
27 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Draenic Discourses on the Inner Light (Updated 25-7-2013 with: "The Army of Light Marches On") Empty Draenic Discourses on the Inner Light (Updated 25-7-2013 with: "The Army of Light Marches On")

Post by Thelos Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:58 am

Grand Anchorite Almonen's mass and what it means for Draenei spiritual roleplay.

It can oftentimes be hard to have your Draenei feel significantly different from the other Light blessed races. I have prepared this post to help other Draenei figure out where they stand religiously. I hope it will inspire others to expand upon the lore and enrich their characters.

The interpetation of the Holy Light I use on Thelos is almost completely based off of the mass of Grand Anchorite Almonen at the Terrace of Light, Shattrath. Or rather I should say it is based on a certain reading of said mass trough goggles painted partially by ingame mechanics and other pieces of lore, and partially by my own religious orientation. As such, I felt that the most natural way to explain and expand upon my interpetation of the Light OOCly was my commentary of the mass. So without further ado, let's dive right in.

Friends, it is my great pleasure to welcome you to the temple today.
A'dal has been most generous in his revelations to me, a humble servant of the light.

The Faith of the Draenei people is essentially revelatory. The source of this revelation is the power of the Holy Light, and it's messengers are the Naaru. In this sense the Naaru can be seen as Holy Messengers, or angels. I have always felt that the Naaru were inspired on the abstract illustrations of Angels of the Bible. You know, those pictures that have them barely resembling humans. Like Christians, the Draenei do not actively worship the Naaru, they worship the Light, and the Naaru only to the extend that they are it's messengers and paragons of it. The Naaru are not Gods.

At the same time, there is an obvious yet important difference between Angels and Naaru to keep in mind. Unlike the Angels from the Bible who drop down to pass a message only to return to heaven, the Naaru are here to stay. They are the active source of your revelation, and as it was their ships and their mercy that protected you from the Legion, you owe them the highest allegiance. As a Draenei, not even the Prophet himself should have more authority than a Naaru. Like the Bible, the Angels, or the Naaru are locked in an epic conflict against Demons and the spawns of Satan/Lucifer/Sargaras, but unlike the Bible, their battlefield is the mortal plane, not the gates of Heaven and Hell, and you are expected to rise to the call of arms when called upon. The “Army of Light” brings to mind the apocalyptic visions of the apostle John, and this is no coincidence. The Apocalypse, in a sense, is already upon us.

While the mortal conflicts of the Alliance versus the Horde may be important also, I feel that as a Draenei you must always carry the doom of this upcoming battle between the armies of Light and Darkness within your heart. Like the Prophet, you must prepare for the coming clash that will decide the fate of the cosmos.

In accordance with my divine calling, I must share these revealed truths to all who would hear.

I believe this “Divine Calling” to be the essence of what it means to be an Anchorite. The duty of the Anchorite is to spread the Naaru's word and guide all who would listen upon the path that Almonen is about to describe. You must be a paragon of Light and a Beacon, a permanent source of inspiration much like the original source of revelation, the Naaru.

It has been made known to me that inside each of us, the Light resides...
...that it is a gift, given freely to all naturally born beings.

This is where we start to approach the heart of the matter. There are a few different ways one can read this passage. First, let us focus in the gift. Is this a gift of the Naaru, or of the Light? I am going to go with the option that it is a gift of the Light itself, or perhaps better said that the Light itself is a gift from the heavenly creators of this world (who may or may not be the titans). I am not sure what wowpedia's source is, but it claims that “The enigmatic naaru race blessed them [the Draenei] with Light-given knowledge and power”. Combining these two facts, I figure that the Naaru enlightened the Draenei with the knowledge of the Light, but did not in in fact bestowed the Light itself on them. This is a very important distinction to make, because it opens the possibility that other races somehow found different ways to connect to said Inner Light, and it gives Draenei a very good reason to treat all natural born creatures with the utmost respect, as they are children of the same Light that enlightened them, and all have the same potential. In this lieu, spreading the Naaru's gift becomes somewhat of a sacred, missionary duty.

Placing the Light within all natural-born creatures is also an important difference to say, having it being a purely external force one can reach out to. This makes the Light into a “Cosmic energy of Good”, which is both in us, out us, within us, and without us. Combine this passage with the myriad of ways we known in which the Draenei (and to a lesser extend, other races too!) can be “cut off” from the Light, and we can only conclude that the Light has some sort of physical presence, or is at least a significant spiritual presence which can be removed. This will become very important later on.

It manifests itself as a feeling, small at first and easily ignored, that confirms truths and subtly prods one to do good.
Simple kindnesses, charitable deeds, service to those in need. These are all fruits of the Light.

And here we actually arrive at the heart. The Light manifests itself as a feeling that confirms truths and subtly prods one to do good. What does that sound like? Our conscience. While I am not quite ready to equate the two yet, I do believe that the presence of the Light in the soul/body operates in a way very similar to a moral conscience. When Thelos speaks of the “Light's will” or “Making the Light's will manifest”,he  is speaking of exactly this phenomenon. That is, obeying that tiny feeling, nourishing it and making it flourish trough being kind, doing charitable deeds, and service those in need. The Light is a power with a very clear normative force. It is inside of us and judges our intentions, subtly prodding us to do good. The fruits of the Light is the desirable good that is made manifest in the world trough a benevolent and altruistic will of the faithful. This, and not prayer or any other superficial rituals, is the essence of worshiping the Light. The Sacred Duty to combat Darkness and make Light manifest.

Now, let us carry on and see what implications this has.

It rewards those who heed its promptings with blessings, both seen and unseen.
Personal reservoirs of hope and faith are strengthened, and one's capacity for greater light increases.
Over the course of time, through obedience to the Light's guidance, one becomes more sensitive to its voice, and its power.
Great is the healing and blessing power of the Light's most diligent followers.

And here we have an explanation on how Lightgiven powers essentially works. By nourishing your inner Light and letting it flourish, it's Voice becomes clearer. The unseen effects of this are increased piety, bigger personal reservoirs of hope, strengthened faith, peace of mind: Quite literally greater enlightenment. But the Light, as we know, is in essence an Altruistic force, and it does more than just purify the individual that worships it. Said worship as we have seen is acting altruistic. And that is why the Light will grant it's greatest Champions certain powers to realize It's will in more miraculous ways. As our inner flames grow it s it grants us amazing powers to nourish it even more, or manifest greater light. Let us take Healing for example. Healing is essentially a manifestation of the Light because it seeks to restore the wounds of the innocent. While a novice on the path of the Light may begin by treating wounds by traditional ways, nourishing his inner light trough his benevolent will, eventually said Light will grant him the powers to channel It in even greater acts of magnificent benevolence. “The Light's most diligent followers” are those who are most sensitive to the Light's voice and go to the greatest lengths to realize It's will. They will be granted the powers to do so trough more miraculous means.

Sadly, there are those who wander through mortality in defiance of the Light.
From these the Light withdraws, until only darkness remains.
Where there is no light, despair, loathing and rage thrive.

We are born into a perilous age, where the forces of darkness are determined to bring about our destruction.
These are the times to find yourselves in unison with the Light.

And now we arrive at the negative of the Light; or, the Darkness. Notice how Almonen does not in fact use the word Shadow, but instead uses the word Darkness, the truer antithesis and absence of Light. Just as obeying and nourishing your inner Light gives one great inner peace, abandoning it and ignoring it makes one cold. If Almonen is to be believed, it will eventually even leave the Soul, pushing it past redemption. These beacons of Darkness seek to corrupt the Faithful in a same manner as the beacons of Light seek to purify them. Only by embracing and nourishing your inner Light can you ward off the Darkness. The last line, the one which calls for unison with the Light, is I believe the ultimate goal of any worshiper. To become inseparable with the Light, to nourish your inner Light to such force that it becomes synonymous with your soul, in that your thoughts are thoughts of Light, and you actions actions of Light. These Faithful will become Beacons to guide the way for others. Light inspires Light in others, as Darkness corrupts others in more Darkness. Unison with the Light and the complete absent of Darkness is the enlightenment ideal of the Naaru-inspired Draenei. In that sense they seek to follow their example and become creatures of pure Light themselves albeit in a metaphorical way. This, too, I feel Khadgar is saying when he says "To combat the darkness, we must become beacons of their [Naaru] eternal Light". Like a Beacon, the Illuminated will light the way for their peers.

Hear my words, and let the Light inside of you confirm the truth of them.
Embrace the light that is in you, my friends! Deny yourself all darkness...

Now we have the tools to interpret Almonen's conclusion. The phrase ”Let the Light inside of you confirm the truth of them” I believe to be absolutely essential to Draenei faith. The Light is an actual presence, an actual guide if you only learn to listen to it. The Truth is inside of you. The Naaru's Revelation have helped the Draenei people draw closer to it, but in essence it is a continuous process of listening to the Light's Voice and then making it manifest. Dogma's like the Three Virtues may help one, and a Draenei might acknowledge them as Light-inspired (in the sense that they conform to the Light's Will), but in the end they are no substitute for that amazing spark of Truth that burns brightly inside of us all. Acting on accordance to the Light, even if one is nearly deaf to It's voice, should even make one more sensitive to It, so in that sense dogma's like the Three Virtues and the Sacred Duty are immensely useful as a ladder to enlightenment, but a ladder that should be thrown away once the top has been reached when the Truth is directly revealed to you. Now, I could go on about how there are forces of Darkness that try to deafen us to the Light's voice, like false dogma's and out of control passions, but I think these kinds of talks are best reserved for roleplay in character.

We must endure these trying times faithfully, and one day we will find ourselves victorious.
By the naaru, may it be so.

“By the Naaru, may it be so” is pretty much the Draenei amen, and used to close off prayers, masses and sermons. Not much else to be said here.

This commentary has gotten way longer than I intended it to be, but I hope it can serve as some inspirational reading for those who would like to explore Draenei spirituality like myself. Here's the abridged version.

• The Naaru are the continuous and ever present source of Revelation for the Draenei people.
  • The Light is an actual presence that resides in all natural-born creatures.
  • Said presence manifests itself as a voice or a feeling, inspiring us to do good. By obeying it, will grow stronger, and we will grow with it.
  • To the brightest of worshippers, the Light will grant special powers to make it's will manifest in miraculous ways, like healing trough magical means.
  • So our Inner Lights can grow and nourish, so too can it shrivel and die out if we neglect us, leaving us in despair and weak to the powers of Darkness.
  • The Inner Light is it's own ultimate truth.

I hope you have enjoyed this read as much as I enjoyed writing it. I look forward to exploring the implications of these discoveries trough roleplay, as I have been doing for several months now. See you all in Azeroth!

Last edited by Thelos on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Draenic Discourses on the Inner Light (Updated 25-7-2013 with: "The Army of Light Marches On") Empty Re: Draenic Discourses on the Inner Light (Updated 25-7-2013 with: "The Army of Light Marches On")

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Amazing. When I read this, I can see the character of Thelos shine through as well, he is this explanation.

Absolutely lovely, my hat off to you, sir.

* Delidah flops her pointy hat off her head, holds it to her chest, and nods solemnly *

--- EDIT:

Something just occurred to me. I've seen Thelos do in character tests and analysis of fel corruption, which is generally magical in nature. Shouldn't Thelos as an Anchorite be looking for the spark inside, which could possibly be extinguished by the extended use of said magic, rather then corruption directly?

I guess I'm asking how fel corruption comes into play in this whole story, and how this relates to an anchorites "duties".
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Draenic Discourses on the Inner Light (Updated 25-7-2013 with: "The Army of Light Marches On") Empty Re: Draenic Discourses on the Inner Light (Updated 25-7-2013 with: "The Army of Light Marches On")

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Love it thrlos accept the light withdrawing part. I feel it is the sinner who forsakes the light not the light forsaking them. The light does not forsake its champions.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Remember that this is a purely Draenei interpretation of the light.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Lexgrad wrote:I feel it is the sinner who forsakes the light not the light forsaking them. The light does not forsake its champions.

Two things can be said about this;

1) There are examples in the lore where the Light is literally forced out. You can think of all the Draenei that had the Light blown out of them by some manner of fel poisoning or radiation. Would you say that each and every one of these Draenei were sinners? That seems to be a bit of a stretch, especially since there are examples of particularily pious Draenei, like Farseer Nobundo, having the Light forced out of them trough exterior means. Another example would be undead who are raised against their will, like certain Death Knights. Undead have no Light in them.

And then there's the fact that even without having the "Spark", one can still strive to be Faithful to the Light without it. The aforementioned Light inspired doctrines may help with that, and I can imagine that most Broken strive to still appease the Light and act in accordance with it, even if their natural link to it has been cut off. These in a way are even truer Champions of the Light, remaining faithful even after it has been forced out of their beings should be no easy feat, but certainly not impossible. Who knows, perhaps if they keep working and struggling hard to realise the Light's will, then perhaps this spark will start a new fire...

2) In all other cases where the Light isn't forced out trough exterior means (Undeath, Fel Poisoning, and perhaps other means we haven't learned of yet), it indeed always seem to be the sinner that withdraws from the Light, rather than the other way around. Again I refer back to Almonen's mass:

Sadly, there are those who wander through mortality in defiance of the Light.
From these the Light withdraws, until only darkness remains.

The Light does not forsake its champions, but apperantly it does forsake its foes. That being said, the Light is forgiving, and I am positive that even the most lightless and darkest of souls almost always have a chance at redemption and returning to the Path.

Delidah wrote:
Something just occurred to me. I've seen Thelos do in character tests and analysis of fel corruption, which is generally magical in nature. Shouldn't Thelos as an Anchorite be looking for the spark inside, which could possibly be extinguished by the extended use of said magic, rather then corruption directly?

What I have been trying to do on Thelos as I "scan a soul for fel infections" is indeed investigating said spark. In fact the ability to peer into somebody else's soul and see the status of their inner Light is something I have toyed with as a possible very advanced technique an Anchorite may be able to master. But it may be that it is exactly because the Anchorite knows very little of Fel and Arcane manners that he will often times fall short in combatting Fel poisoning brought trough Arcane means, because he simply does not understand how exactly it works. Anchorites are used to seeing the Spark shrink trough sin, not trough some exterior means. I firmly believe that Anchorites should in the first place be combatting Fel and Darkness on the spiritual level, as in inspiring his fellows in a moral way and guiding them spiritually. In fact given from the way Draenei have been handling their Fel-infected kindred, I'd say they are actually very poor at properly dealing with it, perhaps for exactly that reason. Remember that "Broken" Draenei are a relatively new and absolutely horrible phenomenon. There should be little worse imaginable to a Draenei than to have the Light ripped out of them. They are used to this being a phenomenon on the spiritual level. The excistance of exterior ways of extinguishing the spark is new, terrifying, and horribly confusing, I'd say.

Look at it from this perspective. You've been used to this spark growing when somebody does good, and shrinking when he does bad. When it is suddenly completely extinguished by some manevolent force, does that mean said manevolent force turned it's victim evil? Surely the Light only withdraws from those who defy it? It is scary and confusing, and may very well be why many Draenei avoid Broken (or have avoided them) for a long time and considered them foul and dangerous. The question whether you can be a good person without the spark of Light may very well be awnsered with a resounding "No" by many Draenei. It's a dark apsect of the Draenei to be sure, but a very interesting one none the less.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Well brother Thelos I would point you towards Uther and his light removing antics. According to lore he could remove the ablity of using the light from paladins. The one acception bring Tirion Fordring. I always see what Uther does as an attack on the faith of the pala, kinda like if I tell you you cant do something and you believe it. As far as we know uther is the only pala to do this, perhaps he is the only one who believes he can and more importantly he is the only one others believe could do so. In Tirions case his faith overcame this and he healed his friend.

DK wise we have Sir Zeliek of the 4 horsemen is a DK who uses the light but is under the control of the scourge. On the otherhand Ormus the Penitent is a DK who has returnedto the faith.

It was my first step towards redemption, and if my sins are unforgivable, then I will attempt to atone for them for the rest of my life.

So we know DKs can channel the light yet Ormus can not because he believes he can not.

Now these are humans ofc, perhaps there is a difference between the nature of light between Draenei and human. Even through foulness humans have stayed connected to the light if they have belief and faith. Perhaps it is the nature of the Draenei connection that it is so easily sundered.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:32 pm

What's going on here is that whole the light works in mysterious ways thing. That the energy is there is a given... How exactly it works is interpreted differently by different cultures, no? Elune is also, in some way, an entity of light.

Perhaps after all you fools are done bickering deli will turn out to be right, and it's all just "sparkly magic".
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Lol it isnt bickering, I respect Thelos's views on the light greatly.

To further my point of view I wonder if mortality has something to do with this. Humans have a very short time to find redemption after all where as Draenei have a long time. Perhaps this fundemental difference has alot to do with it. The case of the Broken is a good example of this. Personally I find what the Draenei do with there lost mambers is discusting. Furthermore I can not see the lights work being done in enslaving them in a mine until they are redeamed, infact it could be the fact that tey are treated as such that prevents there redemption. It is hard to see hope being restored in a group that are treated like this. Likely the broken feel like they are undeserving of being saved and as such, they are not.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:46 pm

I think you're mixing two things up here. Yes, in order to wield the Light one must have Faith in their ability to do so. This has been discussed at great lengths in different threads too, I believe. This is what we'd call a necessary condition. It is however not a sufficient condition. Just believing you can use the Light is not enough to actually allow you to wield it. There are examples where the Paladin has sufficient Faith but the Light for some reason just does not awnser. The Light has to be there to respond. Sheer willpower of the individual and sheer Faith sadly are sometimes not enough when external meddling is involved. Here I point you once again towards Nobundo and so many other Broken like him.

I confess it was a mistake of mine to equate the way in which Fel poisoning can remove one's connection to the Light to Undeath, since there are obvious differences, as is made apperant by sir Zeliek and of course the myriad of Forsaken who wield Holy powers in game. And as you said, perhaps this personal connection to the Light is unique to the Draenei people. I wouldn't like that much though, since Almonen really stresses the fact that the Light is supposed to dwell in every natural born creature.

Though, as Delidah said, that may just be a cultural thing on his behalf, worded in a way that would also appeal to Blood Elves. I will not touch on the matter whether Elunite miracles are in any way comparible to those of the Holy Light, since there is in no way a consensus on that in the community, and I feel like I am in no condition to speak on behalf of Elunite roleplayers.

Lexgrad wrote:The case of the Broken is a good example of this. Personally I find what the Draenei do with there lost mambers is discusting. Furthermore I can not see the lights work being done in enslaving them in a mine until they are redeamed, infact it could be the fact that tey are treated as such that prevents there redemption. It is hard to see hope being restored in a group that are treated like this. Likely the broken feel like they are undeserving of being saved and as such, they are not.

Wooow all right, I just read this post and that is going several steps too far. There is no reason to believe that the Broken are enslaved by the other Draenei. Sure, the miner models are all Broken NPCs, but that's the only possible clue you could have that hints towards enslavement, and that can eaisly be explained away by saying that either they are more suitable for such work or that Blizzard just made one mine worker model that happened to be a Broken, like they made one "worker" model that happened to be a regular Draenei. There are many Broken around the Crystal Halls that are performing admirable duties and seem in no way enslaved. Many Broken around the world of Azeroth and Draenor are doing great work, especially in the Earthern Ring. Nobundu in particular is still a very respected Draenei by the general populace. Velen has declared that the Broken should be welcomed and treated as brothers and treated with the same respected one would treat a pure kinsman. Regardless though I'd say that pure Draenei would definately still feel uneasy around their corrupted kindred and might act a little racist, but enslavement? That's unthinkable.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Perhaps I have overstated the case, however It seems that Draenei Concider themselves above the Broken and the broken beneath there uncorrupted brothers. It places them in a position where they feel lesser, unfit, unclean. It is alot harder to feel the light in these situations as the light is about positive action and not submition to a higher power. (Ironicly the Broken are perfect for christanity).

In the case of Nobundo and the other leaders of the broken, it seems that they too wore the belief that they needed to find redemption, in Nobundo's case he forsakes it to follow the elements (ofc some draenei concider the elements as another aspect of light). Nobundo was sent away from his people, much like Tirion. They were both sundered from the light yet upon seeing a friend suffer, Tirion had the faith to try to heal his friend abnd the light answered. In Nubundo's case, dispite all the suffering he sees he does not even try to use the light (which could be read that he did not believe it would help).

So far not one broken has refound the light, If it was humans in there position this is not the case, redemption is a far quicker process, perhaps due to there short lives or a different understanding of the light (After all humans did not need naaru to show them the light, again this may be due to a different mindset of creatures who live for thousands of years) or It could be that humans who fall are in a better position to find redemption. The broken are largely in a position that places them beyond any positions that would need strong faith and are concidered lower than there unbroken brothers, which only serves to strenghen feelings of self lothing and unfitness to bear the light.

Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Perhaps I have overstated the case, however It seems that Draenei Concider themselves above the Broken and the broken beneath there uncorrupted brothers. It places them in a position where they feel lesser, unfit, unclean. It is alot harder to feel the light in these situations as the light is about positive action and not submition to a higher power. (Ironicly the Broken are perfect for christanity).

Aye, as I said, it is a darker part of the Draenei and shows that they are perhaps not as infinately compassionate as they would have you like to believe. But that is why the Broken are an interesting concept, and I am glad to have them around. They form a constant challenge to all that the Draenei stand for. After all, if was too easy to be a Paragon of Light, where would be the beauty in it?

Lexgrad wrote:
In the case of Nobundo and the other leaders of the broken, it seems that they too wore the belief that they needed to find redemption, in Nobundo's case he forsakes it to follow the elements (ofc some draenei concider the elements as another aspect of light). Nobundo was sent away from his people, much like Tirion. They were both sundered from the light yet upon seeing a friend suffer, Tirion had the faith to try to heal his friend abnd the light answered. In Nubundo's case, dispite all the suffering he sees he does not even try to use the light (which could be read that he did not believe it would help).

The whole point with the Broken, the whole tragedy of it, is that they have been unjustly cut off from the Light, not because of any sin or waning of the will, but because of an exterior force that caused them to grow malformed. The religious question isn't "What sin have I commited to deserve such cruel punishment", but "Why would the Light withdraw itself from the innocent?", or "Does the Light truly not abandon it's champions?". I would like to call your attention to the fact that in the Unbroken story, Nobundo and others seemed to loose contact with the Light not after some sort of faith-questioning trauma, but as they inhaled some sort of mystical evil red fel mist. Any later rationalizations in religious terms like Sin and Divine Punishments are attempts to come to terms which something that the Draenei cannot accept. That the Light does abandon their Champions. By being forced out by Fel.

I feel this ethical and religious problem is quite well put by none other than Velen (who else) himself. The following dialogue follows from a quest in where you help an Anchorite in his attempt to purify a Broken before he died, supposedly so that he can find unison on the Light after death.

Anchorite Avuun says: Even now, nothing. Why? Why would the Light forsake the innocent?
A portal from the Exodar opens and Prophet Velen steps through!
Prophet Velen says: Some have spent decades meditating upon this mystery, Avuun. I do not wish the same fate upon you.
Anchorite Avuun says: Prophet Velen!
Prophet Velen says: The Light wishes suffering on none, my child. But it does not reign unopposed in our realm.
Prophet Velen says: Even now, the true battle between the forces of Light and Darkness approaches. We will all be called to join, and in the face of this conflict, all mortal suffering will be meaningless.
Prophet Velen says: Magtoor, you have embraced your plight bravely. Are you ready to return to the embrace of the Light?
Magtoor says: Yes...
Prophet Velen says: Then may the Light save you and raise you up.
Velen channels "Extreme Unction" on Magtoor. Magtoor disappears
Prophet Velen says: Remember, Avuun. Not all who wander are lost.
Anchorite Avuun says: ...thank you, Prophet. You have given both of us great comfort. I will continue my work, in faith and memory of Magtoor.
Velen walks back to the portal and teleports back to the Exodar.

The Light wishes suffering on none, my child. But it does not reign unopposed in our realm.

That's really what it boils down to. I have always interpeted this as saying that the Light is in itself benevolent, but that there are forces, in this case Fel, that are able to prevent it from materializing. So, it has not abandoned Noboru and Magthoor, but was rather forced out. I am sure you could spin sin somewhere into this and explain what occured here as Velen pardoning Magthoor's sins and whatnot, but somehow I do not feel that is the most natural way to read this, especially considering the very physical and mental nature of the affliction. But I of course agree that there is a tension, and a very interesting one at that, at the heart of the Broken.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:12 pm

Hmm very nice and long interesting read.. Monrenas fire is but the tiniest wisper at the moment... her "problems" somewhat smothering the flame without guidence tis why she feels somehow drawn to thelos and his teachings i suppose definatly gona sneek out of exodar now XD
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Thelos>Velen
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorainne/Bridlington Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 pm

Thelos should get out more. Laughing
Lorainne/Bridlington
Lorainne/Bridlington

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:33 pm

hehe to right
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Thelos verbally slaugters.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Lexgrad wrote:Thelos>Velen

Now that is heresy.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:53 pm

You cannot hide from the truth! The dawn of the Thelossian church is upon us!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:11 am

Thelos wrote:
Lexgrad wrote:Thelos>Velen

Now that is heresy.

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 am

Delidah / Scuzy wrote:You cannot hide from the truth! The dawn of the Thelossian church is upon us!

Thelossian? *shiver* Please, if I really have to name the doctrine I use for Thelos, (or anti-doctrine, whatever), it would be named either after the Naaru in general or A'dal in particular. Something like "Song of A'dal", "Echo of A'dal", or "Songs of the Naaru", 'Echoes of the Naaru", with Adalism and Naarusim as abbrevations.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:14 am

Fine. Song of Thelos it is.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:20 pm

The Chant of Light!...oh wait.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:23 pm

Melnerag wrote:The Chant of Light!...oh wait.

I dont get it. Some kind of reference, I bet?
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Dragon age Thelos! They have a chapter too! And a greagior!
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Dragon Age, they follow the book called The Chant of Light made by a poetess-prophet who walked the world and chanted to God (the Maker). Their church is called The Chantry, which employs scary knights in plate&robes called Templars who are sort of mage-hunters, and one of their seniour officers is Knight-commander Greagoir....

Surprised
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next