Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The King Committee

+12
Kittrina
Mandui
Raelan
Lexgrad
Geneviève
Drazial
Braiden
Gahalla
Drustai
Feydor
Ledgic
Valestrion
16 posters

Go down

The King Committee Empty The King Committee

Post by Valestrion Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:38 pm

Once upon a time, there was the Stormwind Council and it answered to the King. It was then, and still is, a focus for RP in Stormwind. However, more recently, other organisations have come along. The House of Nobles is independent of the Council, with a different flavour and different purpose, and it also answers to the King. Now there is a suggestion that the Stormwind Army should answer directly to the King and be independent of the Council. Not so long ago, I perceived a conflict between the Council and the House of Nobles, and considered that I should seek an audience with the King to resolve it. As it happens, I was mistaken about the conflict, but it did get me wondering how it might be possibe to get the King to make a decision about something.

In reality, the King doesn't actually speak to any of these organisation. Why not? The answer is simple: he's a mob.

Here's an idea, then, to bring King Varian Wrynn to life in Stormwind society. I propose an OOC committee to act as the King. The committee would comprise all GMs of Guilds who declare allegiance to the King, together with other invited independent players who play a prominent role in Stormwind independently of their Guild, e.g. Stormwind Councillors, independent nobles of the House of Nobles, and senior officers of the Stormwind Army. Where there is a need for the King to play a part in Stormwind events, the King Committee would decide how he would act, based on his known personality, what would be realistic in a medieval society, and what will make the best RP story.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

The King Committee Empty Re: The King Committee

Post by Ledgic Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:46 pm

I think there are far too many varied perceptions of how he would act, and what setting we are actually in.

So, as nice as the idea is, I'd be saying no all the way. He is a mob, and it does make it hard to do certain things, but once we start deciding what he thinks and does, it'll stretch to all sorts.

And I don't think it'll lead anywhere good.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:49 pm

I foresee great arguments.
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:52 pm

Feydor wrote:I foresee great arguments.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:18 pm

In my humble opinion: No, it's not a good idea.

Like others have said, it's a recipe for arguments (and not the good kind). Then it will be an enormous effort to get -everyone- fairly represented.

And ultimately, isn't it better to let Varian be the voice of the lore (on the few times it speaks) rather than our voice. Not sullying his authority with our current fancies.

In all realism, there's no need to decide his will. Even absolute monarchs employed many many people that helped him govern. Only taking few sweeping decisions for himself.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Valestrion Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:29 pm

So what's the alternative? A society where the King remains aloof and shows no interest in what his subjects are doing, leaving everyone to do whatever they feel like.

Here's an example. On Tuesday, the Stormwind Council received a complaint that the Chapter of Anethion and the Dieudonné Seal had gone on the rampage in Duskwood, damaging property and frightning the local population. The Council was able to offer to pay for the damage, subject to an investigation to confirm that the report was true, but could take no action against the perpetrators, even thought the Minister of Justice, theoretically appointed by the King, sits on the Council. Now, it's fair enough to say that the Council has no jurisdiction over the actions of the Noble families, if the Council is seen as being a Commoners' Council. However, if that is the case, there needs to be an alternative which, realistically should be the King.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:31 pm

Haven't Stormwind abandoned Duskwood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Feydor wrote:I foresee great arguments.
This

Valestrion wrote:Here's an example. On Tuesday, the Stormwind Council received a complaint that the Chapter of Anethion and the Dieudonné Seal had gone on the rampage in Duskwood, damaging property and frightning the local population. The Council was able to offer to pay for the damage, subject to an investigation to confirm that the report was true, but could take no action against the perpetrators, even thought the Minister of Justice, theoretically appointed by the King, sits on the Council. Now, it's fair enough to say that the Council has no jurisdiction over the actions of the Noble families, if the Council is seen as being a Commoners' Council. However, if that is the case, there needs to be an alternative which, realistically should be the King.
Well the alternative would be to take this matter up with the house of nobles obviously. We cant "RP" the king, it's just wrong.
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Drazial Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Valestrion wrote:So what's the alternative? A society where the King remains aloof and shows no interest in what his subjects are doing, leaving everyone to do whatever they feel like.

Here's an example. On Tuesday, the Stormwind Council received a complaint that the Chapter of Anethion and the Dieudonné Seal had gone on the rampage in Duskwood, damaging property and frightning the local population. The Council was able to offer to pay for the damage, subject to an investigation to confirm that the report was true, but could take no action against the perpetrators, even thought the Minister of Justice, theoretically appointed by the King, sits on the Council. Now, it's fair enough to say that the Council has no jurisdiction over the actions of the Noble families, if the Council is seen as being a Commoners' Council. However, if that is the case, there needs to be an alternative which, realistically should be the King.

As far as I can see, the best course of action is to grant the Minister of Justice a liaison who would act as voice of the king. Have someone responsible as an individual to act as the king's advisor on such things. This would be someone who can get inside that fanciful haircut's head. It would, of course be a rather weighty position that might spark arguments to what the king might decide; so you would require someone both impartial and experienced.

We don't need two councils. Hell, empower the Justice Minister to act as he sees fit by appointment of the King if that's serves the purpose. It's a small issue at the moment, attempting to tackle it might however, create a larger one in lines of "Who is to act with such power? What right do they have to decide this..?".

My two cents.
Drazial
Drazial

Character sheet
Name: Drazial Legraine
Title: Commander of The Lady Proudmoore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Empowering council seats would need to be discussed at length with the community, I think, since we've done all we can to remove ourselves from any "power mongering" over the past year.

I'd happily have Omanos act as though he has the king's clearance in matters such as the nobles vs Duskwood stuff. But I'm not sure having someone RP'ing the king's advisor is any better than Vale's idea, really, it still places too much power with people, where in RP terms we should have zero where the king is concerned.

I understand your frustrations Valestrion, but at the same time it really isn't something we can do much about. Perhaps it would be worth entering a discussion about how far council members can go without it seeming wrong, with the king in mind. But I don't know, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with the council having no huge power, because it makes it easier to RP, not to mention quells any painful whining.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 pm

I agree with all the naysayers for the variety of reasons they've put forwards. If you think the Seal are acting in a manner that would cause his Majety to 'have stern words with his wayward Lord' just tell us OOC and we'll do our best to slap our characters on the wrists.

Valestrion wrote:So what's the alternative? A society where the King remains aloof and shows no interest in what his subjects are doing, leaving everyone to do whatever they feel like.

As to this, we're still completely on the back foot. We know a cultist event happened, I recieved an email about it, but we were told the conclusion was cultist threat dealt with, supplies and aid delivered to the people of Darkshire. But, and in all seriousness, we can't find anyone still in the guild who took part. Tarv and myself were on holiday and the officer who led the event has gone afk. If anyone could fill us in on what actually took place from an OOC perspective we'd really appreciate it. Until then our policy IC will be 'deny deny deny'.
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:13 pm

I say slay the seal and the Chapter! Heads on pikes is the only way to repay the people of Duskwood! *nod*
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:42 pm

We never need "The King's Voice" and I don't see why we do now all of a sudden.
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 pm

Raelan/Relithien wrote:We never need "The King's Voice" and I don't see why we do now all of a sudden.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Valestrion Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:24 pm

We didn't need it before because the Council was effectively doing that job.

Valestrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kittrina Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Thing is ICly it'd make not much sense, in game, quests, etc, it's shown over and again the King has very little engagement/interest in the normal lives/disputes/etc of Stormwind and it's inhabitants. Hell half the city was destroyed and he builds a big freaking statue of himself.
Kittrina
Kittrina

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 pm

instead of a king, get a Tyrant.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 pm

I heard Garrosh was booked, so I doubt we can.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Perhaps soon you shall all realise what you all should've all realised a long time ago; You should just give up Stormwind to Darnassus.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 pm

I believe Darnassus gave up on their moonwell in Stormwind quite some time ago.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Geldar wrote:I believe Darnassus gave up on their moonwell in Stormwind quite some time ago.

Drunk people kept peeing in it :<

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm

Drefurion wrote:
Geldar wrote:I believe Darnassus gave up on their moonwell in Stormwind quite some time ago.

Drunk people kept peeing in it :<

dam it i explained! it was the closest place to the bar!
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sador Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:10 pm

If we need a king, it should be me! Obviously. Otherwise.. No Razz
Sador
Sador

Character sheet
Name: Sador Steelmane.
Title: Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:34 pm

Ya eh look at the date of the last post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down