Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RP in Dalaran

+4
Mandui
Ledgic
Magaskawee/Anaei
Valerias
8 posters

Go down

RP in Dalaran Empty RP in Dalaran

Post by Valerias Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 pm

I remember throughout Wrath, when Dalaran was crowded with a zillion levellers and 80s with nothing to do but jump up and down, many a time when RPers would say 'Oh, Dalaran would be so nice for RP without the OOCers.'

Well, now we have a mostly empty Dalaran on our hands, and I am wondering if people are still interested in using the place for RP. What with having my event the Jewel there and being very fond of the look of the violet city, it's something of a personal dream of mine to see it come more alive, but I'm guessing that there are other people, too, who would enjoy RPing there if there were RP available.

So, two questions really. Is there an interest in Dalaran? And secondly, any ideas on how to make more RP there?

There are many shops and alcoves, three inns, and best of all it's a city where Horde and Alliance both have reason to be. We could engage in more trade - perhaps bring in some shady aspects (underground Dalaran is rather awesome). And of course, it is a city with a focus on magic, so those who play mages might wish to have events there, or simply RP there. The Jewel is open Thursday nights, but as the staff of the Jewel are all characters living in Dalaran, I'd be happy to make events at other times as well. Naturally no one just wants to play Bob the Shopkeeper, or stand around in an empty city waiting for RP, but I think we could really do something with the place. Let me know your thoughts, please!
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

RP in Dalaran Empty Re: RP in Dalaran

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Is Dalaran actually acessable to more ordinary characters though? It's like the centre for mages in Azeroth, and it's also located in northrend now, wouldn't travel be kinda hard. Are outsiders just allowed in?

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Well, Dalaran was a major centre for the war effort against the Lich King, and overflowing with soldiers and trade. So I would imagine that now - with Arthas defeated - the city's quiet and businesses are hurting, the residents of Dalaran would be glad to have more people come to the city. It may be an important city and house the Kirin Tor, but it is still a city, with the same needs as others.

Indeed it's not simple to get to unless you happen to be a mage or know a mage, and your ordinary citizen of another land probably wouldn't go there, but very few of us RP as ordinary citizens after all.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:11 pm

I may (ironically) have Vezullia take up residence there and attempt a small business!
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:12 pm

True that, I was just wondering if it would be common to see ordinary people coming and going from the city.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:27 pm

To be honest, in the grand scale of things, I think it would be rather improbable to see random people in Dalaran, now that the war effort is over. It survived just fine before it moved to Northrend, so I can only assume it would go back to supporting itself.

However, Dalaran is a really nice opportunity to get ourselves another RP hub, somewhere you can go and have at least a decent chance of finding RP. So, I think it's perfectly acceptable to ignore the more likely scenario and go with whatever provides the RP community with another place to RP.

And of course, it isn't completely without it's OOC'ers, sure, but it's certainly not on the same level as Stormwind now.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Yes, the true issue lies in the IC reason why anyone but magi and other magic wielders would even visit the city now that the Lich King is dead. Additionally, getting there frequently can prove as an IC and OOC hassle. I agree that the city looks amazing and that it offers various locations for some sweet RP, but those two factors present a challenge that not many would be willing to face in order to get some RP.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 pm

I think it entirely depends on whether or not said RP'ers simply want to avoid the boundaries placed before them. I don't think all that much of Dalaran, but it's pretty hard to avoid the obvious fact that it's a good opportunity, as well as a nice break from dealing with the pit that Stormwind has fallen into.

It wouldn't be the first time the community has ignored the obvious in favour of the RP it could create. Take Stromgarde, as an example.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Stromgarde harbors a guild/nation actually, so it's not necessarily a hub for random RP in regards to the whole of the Alliance, unless people have dealings with said guild/nation. Furthermore it's located in Eastern Kingdoms and only 2-5 mins away from major cities by gryphon or taxi, which automatically renders it not only as more accessible, but also a lot more involved in the affairs of an alive and kicking continent.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:46 pm

I was simply referring to the fact that it's a ruin, and is not RP'd as such, or at least, not as much of a ruin as it actually is.

Yes Dalaran is far away, yes it isn't supposed to be readily accessible, but it is still a place that RP could flourish quite easily. If you overlook the magi factor, it would take a single trip for people to 'move' to Dalaran, to live. Doesn't make as much sense as I'd usually appreciate in RP, but there y'go.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 pm

I think it entirely depends on whether or not said RP'ers simply want to avoid the boundaries placed before them. I don't think all that much of Dalaran, but it's pretty hard to avoid the obvious fact that it's a good opportunity, as well as a nice break from dealing with the pit that Stormwind has fallen into.

It wouldn't be the first time the community has ignored the obvious in favour of the RP it could create.

Aye. I don't mind bending the likelihood of people being in a given place, as long as it isn't completely unsensible. Dalaran may not be the most easy of places, but RP hubs are what you make of them. Gilneas isn't terribly easy to get to, either, but the Greymane Resolve is providing awesome RP there.

I find Dalaran awfully inspiring, and since we've had success with the Jewel, I figured there might be other people who'd want to RP there more often also. There's a lot of possibility.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Just use the excuse that Dalaran is open to more tourism and just follow an example that the magi tower has decided to connect a portal to Dalaran.

I'm sure no one but the elitist bunch will shoot you down for that idea. Less time dwelling on reasons why/how to go to Dalaran and more time dwelling on how to make Dalaran itself desirable. Smile
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Gilneas is also occupied by a guild/nation and not necessarily a random RP hub Razz I was merely stating the reasons why people might be skeptical towards the concept. I find Dalaran beautiful as well, like I already mentioned, yet it'd take more than just 8-10 people to turn it into a lively casual RP hub.

Seeing how my own characters have reasons to occasionally visit the city, I wouldn't mind contributing myself whenever I can, although I'd still prefer a place somewhat closer to all the above mentioned locations and major cities ^^ (in case I need to quickly pop somewhere else and return for example)
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Saevir Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Eira wrote:Just use the excuse that Dalaran is open to more tourism and just follow an example that the magi tower has decided to connect a portal to Dalaran.

I'm sure no one but the elitist bunch will shoot you down for that idea. Less time dwelling on reasons why/how to go to Dalaran and more time dwelling on how to make Dalaran itself desirable. Smile

Same idea works on Horde, with magical transport between Silvermoon and Dalaran being a somewhat simple affair.
Saevir
Saevir

Character sheet
Name: Saevir Dawnseeker
Title: Sage

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Ahem. We're indeed roleplaying it as a ruin, mind you. Ever since the Shattering it's been put into the state you see it as in-game.

However, we do roleplay it's void of syndicate, ogres and trolls, there's more guards, etcetc. And of course we're trying our best to rebuild it.

It's a huge ruin though, well guarded, but a ruin. And we always roleplay there, every hour of the day - and night.

As for Dalaran, Stromgarde has made a habit of going there for the Jewel, being invited by Vale herself and all, is IC valid enough. =)

Plus we love booze and bars.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Dalaran is an amazing city. I am pro-Dalaran-RP.

An event/story to set the mood and lure people in might help.

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down