Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource

+10
Gogol
Shaelyssa
Frostfeather
Magaskawee/Anaei
Ledgic
Odgan / Keag
Reynar / Raviran
Morinth
Demurral
Valerias
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource Empty The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource

Post by Valerias Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:36 pm

You may be familiar with Sophyra's wonderful guide, the Tanarisi Immigrant Foundation, which details the work that Sophyra and Safia have done in imagining a plausible culture for the nomadic people of the Tanaris desert (think Wastewander bandits for an in-game reference).

Following up on that, as the possibilities are wide and fascinating (and sadly underused!), I wanted to make a thread describing the tribes that roleplayers have created, in case anyone making a new character is interested in being a part of Tanarisi roleplay. I'm eager to promote more creativity, more characters, and more roleplay surrounding this awesome region.

Please, if you have a tribe / RP a Tanarisi, add what information you like. (Ledgic and Sophyra, I'm especially looking at you since I know you have developed tribes Wink) Comments and suggestions and discussion are also very welcome.

Suggested template:
Tribe Name
Culture and Beliefs
Territory
Current status
Characters associated with the tribe
Further information

==

The Dharayid - imagined by Aniane

The Dharayid are a small nomadic tribe, with little fame to their name among the peoples of Tanaris. They are characterised by the herds of goats that they keep, and which provide most of the sustenance for their food, clothing, and way of life. They tend to travel in small groups of anywhere from 30-150 people, as the desert can't sustain all of the people who consider themselves Dharayid in a single place. Each group follows their own chieftains and may develop their own twists on Dharayid culture, but the information here details those things that characterise all Dharayid and separate them from other tribes.

Culture and Beliefs

The Dharayid are proud, despite their small numbers and humble lifestyle, and greatly value honour and tradition. They have many words in their own dialect that they prefer to use amongst themselves over the more widespread Tanarisi language. They are deeply suspicious of outsiders, but at the same time, hospitality is one of their paramount virtues: if a person asks them for shelter and aid, they are honour-bound to give it, and in turn, the guest is honour-bound to respect his host and the Dharayid traditions. They struggle to understand anyone who doesn't have a tribe, and despise those who have been cast out from their people. Ties of blood are deeply important to them, and lengthy blood feuds can occur when a Dharayid is killed by another.

In addition to a respect for the spirits of the land and the elements, the Dharayid worship the spirit of the desert itself. Referring to this entity as 'the Lady,' or variations thereon (such as 'the Mother') they tend to name many places after her (for example, a chain of oases called the Maidensprings). Taking inspiration from the dual nature of the desert, which both provides for their sustenance and kills the weak, they take care in their rituals and worship both to placate the cruelty of the Lady and to express gratitude for her benevolence.

Each sub-tribe of the Dharayid tends also to have a hakara, or a wise-woman, who is well respected and a little feared, and who is close to the spirits of the land and especially in tune with the will and moods of the desert. The Dharayid place great emphasis on signs and omens, and on the need to placate the supernatural, yet at the same time, they are a hardy and pragmatic people, bent on survival in the harshest of climates.

Territory

They have no set territory, but are known to wander in the west coastal and central regions of Tanaris, and occasionally settle along the sea for months at a time when they find a good water source.

Current status

In the wake of the recent cataclysm and flooding of some of Tanaris, the various sub-groups of the Dharayid are more scattered and out of contact than they were previously, but being nomads with a simple lifestyle, the majority of them managed to survive along with their herds and are resuming their usual way of life.

No player members, at present. (Only NPCs who've ended up in character backgrounds and stories.) Valerias Caan lived among the Dharayid for awhile, however.

Further information

I've included some more background for the Dharayid in my story The Sands of Tanaris - so please have a look if you're interested in more of the 'flavour' of what culture of these charming goat-herds is like.

A note on naming: While the Dharayid use the naming formula common to most Tanarisi tribes, that is differentiating themselves by lineage, they also may introduce themselves to strangers as a son/daughter of the Dharayid before introducing themselves as a member of their particular line. For example: Hassan, son of Jareth, may also refer to himself as 'Hassan Mas Dhari.' Eshani, daughter of Farad, may also refer to herself as 'Eshani Mir Dhari.'
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource Empty Re: The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource

Post by Demurral Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

I must say, i like the idea.. Whether or not i have Dom and Calen as members of that tribe, or else create my own, has yet to be decided... ((with as little reference to the Gerudo from the Legend of Zelda Series [OoT FTW!] temptation... overpowering...))
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:33 pm

I don't think we apply, but my crew use one of the pirate ships in Tanaris. ^^ Near Gadgetzan, the only ship not occupied by mobs. So if any of the tribes hanging out there want to RP with some treasure huntards, we're here when we're not getting drunk in Ratchet/doing pirate stuff!
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 am

A bump of sorts, for further consideration!
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 pm

and another nudge!
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:26 pm

There's still other people RPing in Tanaris? Wow, I thought it died after last summer. My char is a Tanarisian (Although born elsewhere, Tanarisian parents) And I've had some of my best RP experiences in Tanaris I have to admit, I'm really interested in this tribe concept since my char's parents died and since they left Tanaris before he was born, he never got to know his own tribe. But if people do RP there I could start rebuilding the Gadgetzan hub there was last year.

But yeah, thanks for this. Really interesting stuff to read.
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Odgan / Keag Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:45 pm

In the Harrison Jones qeustchain in Uldum you see those nomads aswell. Looks pretty interesting.
Odgan / Keag
Odgan / Keag

Character sheet
Name: Ildranor Strongbrew
Title: Mountaineer-Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 pm

The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource Desert_warrior__by_czarnystefan

The Rathraki Tribe

The Rathraki are a large tribe, with quite infamous reputation among the tribes in Tanaris. Rathraki are often widespread around the Great Desert and the Coastline, usually moving in groups of fourty or fifty at a time. The main bulk of the tribe however, consists of nearly five hundred people. Most of the members live off by pillaging and blackmailing. Given the chance to choose from either pribing or fighting the tribe when their members gather infront of your homes is quite unnecessary, since it's easy to figure out which one most of the people would take.
Each group follows their own leader but they all unite under the banner of their commander, the Caliph. Many groups have gone outside the Tanarisi borders and live normal lives inside the civilized cities in the east, over the sea. But they are still loyal to the Tribe's traditions and will honor the Caliph's call.

Culture and Beliefs

Rathraki value four virtues. These being, strength, tradition, faith and respect. Strength being the most essential one. When the Caliph is no more, the tribe gathers into the Great Desert and fight over the leadership. The strongest one will reign as the honourable Caliph until he passes away. The Rathraki worship three gods, The sun, the moon and the great one, also known as Arnach. The great dragon, guardian of the desert. (Fanmade lore). Rathraki have many rituals and traditions they upheld, they sacrifice three people a year, one for each god. They worship daily, consisting of one hour ritual, Each and every day. And once a month they honor the gods with a ritual, to make sure they are protected by their gods.

The Rathraki believe in strength above all else, so the Rathraki children are raised strictly from an early age to be tough. Although they are infamous and some of them quite cruel, foul play during fighting is not allowed, it's disliked and hated. Since when one uses such methods it gives the image of a weak man. Rathraki also have a very strict mental code. The best -help- they would give to you if you would be half-dead in a desert, would be a quick death or slavery. Although they treat every strong and wise man with respect, if your lucky they will make you one of them. The major difference in Rathraki is that the Rathraki bloodline is very few among the tribe, most of the people are from different family lines, some few might even be another race. If your strong, you'll earn the right to be a Rathraki. But only a Rathraki can be a Caliph. There has been only one exception thus far.

Rathraki are very faithful to their religion, they consult the God's through their prophets before doing any important decision. Even the Caliph is bound to follow the word of their Gods.

The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmStqxtE72FqfbAMCVnL1mjwu5K6oKrHseSYzYcfX6CvqdsKBc&t=1

Territory

Rathraki tend to go where they please, as they consider themselves to be superior to other people. But only territory they hold is their holy shrine, Arnach's demise. (A high cliff / rock east of Dunemaul Compound) Most of the Rathraki spend a lot of time in the Goblin city in the north, a lot also going to visit other cities to resupply the bulk of the tribe.

Current Status

During the great flood, the Caliph passed away and the Rathraki have been at each other's throats ever since, fighting over the leadership. Until very recently the nephew of the late Caliph showed up in the great Thunderdrome in Gadgetzan, Quickly getting the attention of the Rathraki people. Many Rathraki warriors challenged him in the very arena but were unsuccessfull. Thus the Rathraki now think that this nephew is a blessing given by the Gods. The current Caliph is now Rago Rathraki, Nephew of the late Caliph Urloth. During Rago's coronation the Rathraki tribe massed together once more, the desert around the Holy Shrine of Arnach was filled with Rathrakians and their morale was high. Now Rathraki has spread out and many await the new Caliph's orders. Strangely, the new Caliph rides with only a few of his most trusted men.

The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource Gladia10

Characthers associated with the Tribe

Only a few currently, many are thinking of joining however. We need more!

PS. Non guild group, pretty much everyone allowed to join if you find your characther fitting well on the description.
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:58 am

The Tribes of Tanaris: A Resource Hawk%20TAR_10

They who fly with hawks

Bashalad - Imagined by Ledgic

The Bashalad tribe were among the smaller of the sand's tribes, sporting around one hundred people. They were incredibly nomadic, never seeming to stop in one place for long, always looking for the next trade, or the next hunt. Hunting had become what their tribe were famous for, over the years, as each young member of the tribe would be taught the methods from the moment he could comprehend them. They would settle in an area, hunt some of the local beasts and move on, to sell their hides and meat. The Bashalad are also very private, not often interacting with other people or tribes, beyond the trading.

Culture and Beliefs

The Bashalad believe in only two "Gods":

"The Sands" - This is their true God, the one they believe provides them with everything they need, along with the notion of fate/destiny. During sandstorms, the Bashalad will instantly set up camp, refusing to set one foot more in such a situation. However, this isn't due to the standard danger one would imagine comes hand in hand with a sandstorm. They believe that a sandstorm is an indication of the underworld wanting more souls, and that is the work of some great evil.

"The Hawk" - The Bashalad worship the spirit of the hawk, and believe it to be the tribe's spirit. There are several members of the tribe that have trained hawks of their own, as messengers and scouts. Each member of the tribe will have an item of clothing, baring the "insignia" of the tribe, which will feature a hawk. Though, depending on the crafting skills of each individual tribesman, you might have a hard time working that out.

Territory

Unfortunately the only territory the Bashalad laid claim to, was washed away in the wake of Deathwing's arrival. Their main settlement is therefore, very much submersed.

Current status

The great flood has caused many issues for the Bashalad tribe. Firstly, they were scattered, as several parts of the tribe had been out on trade runs at the time. And now, the tribe's numbers have been reduced substantially. As far as the people of Tanaris are concerned, if the Bashalad are not dead, there are very few of them left.

Lucane Dunewall: Last seen in Stormwind - Possibly returning to his sands at some point soon. Luc' has been searching for any remaining members of his tribe for some time now, he has come across a couple of people, but the overwhelming notion is that the tribe itself has been wiped out. He has, however, not given up.

Further information - Anyone interested in playing another member of the Bashalad is more than welcome to contact me. I've left the concept as open as I can, to provide people with ample opportunity to play one of them.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:33 pm

Ok Vale. You win. I love this all so much and screw my draenei!
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostfeather Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:14 pm

I am truly impressed by all the hard work that has been put into this.

I don't get the lore behind this though, is it based solely on fan fiction or have Blizzard retconed the lore regarding southern Kalimdor?

Ildranor wrote:In the Harrison Jones qeustchain in Uldum you see those nomads aswell. Looks pretty interesting.
What quest?
Frostfeather
Frostfeather

Character sheet
Name: Khalida Frostfeather
Title: Sentinel

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:35 pm

I would say it's mainly fan-fiction with a few hints from Blizzard. Sophyra explained the rationale for playing a character from Tanaris really nicely in the thread The Tanarisi Immigrant Foundation. In short, since the Wastewander bandits seem to be long-time nomads of the desert rather than escapees from Theramore (having, for example, NPCs like Caliph Scorpidsting), it seemed logical that there's some kind of quasi-Arabian nomadic culture in Tanaris. The rest we've all filled in with imagination.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostfeather Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Valerias wrote:I would say it's mainly fan-fiction with a few hints from Blizzard. Sophyra explained the rationale for playing a character from Tanaris really nicely in the thread The Tanarisi Immigrant Foundation. In short, since the Wastewander bandits seem to be long-time nomads of the desert rather than escapees from Theramore (having, for example, NPCs like Caliph Scorpidsting), it seemed logical that there's some kind of quasi-Arabian nomadic culture in Tanaris. The rest we've all filled in with imagination.
Well, yes, the thing is that I had almost the opposite view on that. Since as I remembered it the Wastewanderers had taken the wells from the goblins, to me suggesting that they are rather new in the area...

I don't know, it just seem far fetched to me; an old civilisation that thrives very close to the Tauren, the Centaurs, the sandfury trolls, the kaldorei, the Quiraji and the bronze dragon flight and they have had no impact what so ever on the history of southern Kalimdor.

I don't know enough about troll lore to dispute the point that since the Darkspears crossed the ocean, so could humans have done. I was under the impression that the Darkspear came with Thrall but as I said I could very well be wrong on that one.

So while I am still very impressed by all the hard work and all the lovely writing I just don't see it blend very well with the rest of the lore. I know I am coming off as an old grumpy man but I just prefer RP that is somewhat based on the lore of Azeroth. Sorry!

That being said, remember that computer games are all about having fun. If you guys like this concept, by all means go ahead, it's just not for me.
Frostfeather
Frostfeather

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:03 pm

The kaldorei were known to have humans as slaves pre-Sundering, iirc, so it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that a small pocket of humans might have been on the western side of Kalimdor pre-Sundering and got stuck there later!

Also, I love this so much. It reminds me so much of the Sanshir project you had going, Vale! I'm really sad that it sort of ... died? I actually totally forgot about it until like a week or so ago. :l

Anyways, enough of off-topic stuff! I'm definitely considering making a Tanarisi but uff if you don't me saying this, I really think you should try and keep how much inspiration you draw from Arabian culture in check, and also how much fan-lore you write. I'm all for filling in the gaps Blizzard have left in WoW's lore, but I think we should try and keep ourselves in check and not go over board!! But still, this stuff is super interesting Wink.

(Bring the Sanshir project back!!! Sad)
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostfeather Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Shaelyssa wrote:The kaldorei were known to have humans as slaves pre-Sundering, iirc, so it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that a small pocket of humans might have been on the western side of Kalimdor pre-Sundering and got stuck there later!
Possible, yes certainly. Plausible, not to me.

There are very few things that are impossible in Azeroth. Vampires, cyborgs, jedi knights, Ipods etc. There are no evidence against any of those either. So where do you draw the line? I don't know, I just felt this was a bit too much.
Frostfeather
Frostfeather

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Everyone going Tanari after this?

I could be wrong, as for the concept I'v fancied it from the start- Probally great rp out there in the desert.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 am

Frostfeather wrote:
Shaelyssa wrote:The kaldorei were known to have humans as slaves pre-Sundering, iirc, so it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that a small pocket of humans might have been on the western side of Kalimdor pre-Sundering and got stuck there later!
Possible, yes certainly. Plausible, not to me.

There are very few things that are impossible in Azeroth. Vampires, cyborgs, jedi knights, Ipods etc. There are no evidence against any of those either. So where do you draw the line? I don't know, I just felt this was a bit too much.

Well, yes, it's all pretty far-fetched. I mean, despite taking part as such, I can't really deny that the idea of populating a zone such as Tanaris, given all the lore implications, is a bit off. But at the same time, I think it's just a bit of fun. I mean, I don't even intend to involve myself too heavily in the tribe business, simply have a character, from a certain tribe. *shrug*

I can appreciate the inklings of things not quite fitting, I have that inkling an awful lot :p But I think this one is pretty harmless.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:29 am

Lazarus wrote:Everyone going Tanari after this?

I could be wrong, as for the concept I'v fancied it from the start- Probally great rp out there in the desert.

Hell to the yes. That's the reason I made a Tanarisi at least. With that as inspiration, I've finally found my way into liking the Tanarisi RP idea.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 am

That's like saying you don't want a Tanarisi for the actual concept, but simply because of that movie, which I'd consider wrong.

And not that I read through the tribes and stuff, but that guy didn't seem very Tanarisi to me, more like a brute arathorian if anything.
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:42 am

I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to have my own opinion of the concept of a Tanarisi Razz Taking inspiration from anything is never wrong. It's what the whole game is about and built upon. Inspiration of already existing ideas.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 am

Lazarus wrote:Everyone going Tanari after this?

Well Dothraki have been a great motivation and inspiration but the ideals where my views of Tanarisi come from is def. The Scorpion King. Everyone who hasn't seen this movie and RP's a Tanarisi, watch it.

Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:32 am

Why? That film is painfully bad :p

I think everyone is within their own right to assume what a Tanarisi would be like, whether it be drawn from inspiration due to a film, or a past/current way of life that exists in the world today.

However, when it comes to mine, I'll be making it up as best I can. I prefer the creativity of coming up with something entirely new. But heck, at the end of the day, this is roleplay, and whatever creates that roleplay is a good thing. Obviously you can draw too much inspiration from something, and that isn't great, but if it's just starting you off then heck, I say go for it.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:37 am

Ledgic/Omanos wrote:Why? That film is painfully bad :p

Hey! It's not that bad D: (Okay the plot and actors might make it a little .....and the setting too even..) Well...! It's not bad either! It was made 10 years ago! Cut me some slack D:
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:39 am

Reynar / Raviran wrote:
Ledgic/Omanos wrote:Why? That film is painfully bad :p

Hey! It's not that bad D: (Okay the plot and actors might make it a little .....and the setting too even..) Well...! It's not bad either! It was made 10 years ago! Cut me some slack D:

Fair enough, I'll cut you some slack :p The film however...

'fraid I gave you my last slice of slack, old chum.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Trave wrote:That's like saying you don't want a Tanarisi for the actual concept, but simply because of that movie, which I'd consider wrong.

And this is like replying before you think.

As for the Tanari group, do you stay in contact in game through a channel possible?
Is there desert rp on going already, or mostly talk about it here on the forums?

If it's going, when and where?
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next