Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rogue rp - is this use of stealth acceptable here?

+7
Mandui
Jayse
Kristeas Sunbinder
Krogon Devilstep
Zinkle Figgins
Ariden
John Helsythe Amaltheria
11 posters

Go down

Rogue rp - is this use of stealth acceptable here? Empty Rogue rp - is this use of stealth acceptable here?

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:21 pm

I’m new to the server and previously rp’d on a low pop rp/pvp server. As it was a relatively small group of rp’ers, it was pretty easy to establish what was acceptable rp-wise.

I play a rogue and I’ve always played him as a bit of a shadow-hugger. Likes to skulk around in the shadows and gather information to use for his own means or the means of those he reports to. I very much stick to trying to stay where there may be shadows (like walls of buildings), hide behind things or in bushes, not stand just out of stealth visibility range. I like to play fair.

Now in rp, I usually give an emote that I am around, something like “Arli keeps still, hardly breathing” which means that someone may hear him, or perhaps not since he is trying to stay hidden. Either way, the other players get to know that he is around and then it is up to them if they carry on with their conversation in the knowledge that some sneaky b*stard might grass them up, or spontaneously decide to move to some place else, as they don’t want their plot open to others yet.

What I want to know is…is this acceptable roguish behaviour on Defias? I don’t want to be seen as spoiling others rp or using game mechanics in an unfair way. This was perfectly acceptable on my old server, but as I said, a small community means it’s easier.

Oh and I don’t get offended if after an emote I get an ooc /w telling me to just p*ss off Smile

Back to top Go down

Rogue rp - is this use of stealth acceptable here? Empty Re: Rogue rp - is this use of stealth acceptable here?

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:40 pm

In my eyes it is. I got a rogue too. Try to search for Jayse his stealth guide thingy, some where on these forums. That one is pretty neat. Anyways, if you emote your pressence and stuff then you shouldn't get any drama about it.

Edit: In fact, here you go: http://www.defiasrp.com/t1393-si7-how-we-stealth-rp-and-a-concencus-on-best-practise?highlight=stealth
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Rogue rp - is this use of stealth acceptable here? Empty Re: Rogue rp - is this use of stealth acceptable here?

Post by Ariden Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm

my personl thoughts on the matter are, you can use stealth but not as stealth, use it to highlight that your hidden, or in an area you can't acces,

examples being, in the pre cata world I would emote that I was in stealth when I was Ic on a roof, nowdays I use it when in shadows, or chilling in the rafters of a building if I can't find a way up there, so long as your not useing it to be able to walk down a brightly lit street behind someone saying I am sneaking so you can't see me you should be fine.

Ariden
Ariden

Character sheet
Name: Ariden Draksbane
Title: Agent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm

All sounds good and fits in with how I play him anyways (phew!). I looked up Jayse guide and got some great ideas, so thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zinkle Figgins Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:16 pm

I hardly use it, but I see it as a camouflage ability for when hiding in the dark or behind objects, surely not as a proper invisilibility spell.
Zinkle Figgins
Zinkle Figgins

Character sheet
Name: Razgash Gronnbane
Title: Warbringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:53 pm

the idea is, as long as people know of your presence ooc, they can react or be unaware properly IC.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I just assume there's always a stealthed rogue trying to gain valuable information on the Thalassian military, so he or she can pass it along to the alliance or traitorous terrorists. Can always get a huntar to check or a portal somewhere if I want to be sure I'm not overheard.
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Aye I wrote the guide a while back to basically knock out alot of the 'im invisible nearby' usage that people seemed to dislike. The main thing is.. as long as your roleplay is of a good standard, people will go along with it in the majority. It's always dubious when it comes to niche RP things like that. But on the whole i've been impressed with the people and situations i've encountered. So keep it up Smile

It's not a 'be all end all' community server law by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a way to roleplay it to a good level and get interesting RP out of your character. I just felt the guide was a level of 'common sense'.

Regardless. All good and i'm glad people are making use of it Smile

And Krogon hit the nail on the head perfectly Wink
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Jayse wrote:Aye I wrote the guide a while back to basically knock out alot of the 'im invisible nearby' usage that people seemed to dislike. The main thing is.. as long as your roleplay is of a good standard, people will go along with it in the majority. It's always dubious when it comes to niche RP things like that. But on the whole i've been impressed with the people and situations i've encountered. So keep it up Smile

It's not a 'be all end all' community server law by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a way to roleplay it to a good level and get interesting RP out of your character. I just felt the guide was a level of 'common sense'.

Regardless. All good and i'm glad people are making use of it Smile

And Krogon hit the nail on the head perfectly Wink

...i like hitting things... <0,...,o>
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:59 pm

Krogon/Sulthar wrote:
Not to worry, lil' one. They like hitting you too =^_^=
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah he looked like he was out to prove his love of hitting things last night; placing that sword in the ground fooled no one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Mandui wrote:
Krogon/Sulthar wrote:

Doesn't happen on his watch. o _ o
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Geldar wrote:
Mandui wrote:
Krogon/Sulthar wrote:

Doesn't happen on his watch. o _ o

^_^
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunderholm of Ambermill Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:04 pm

If find use of Stealth Acceptable to be honest, although I agree with the fact that you should Emote certain thing, like a gust of wind... a snap of a twig indeed.

We live in a world were some people can fire bolts of shadow and fire from their fingertips.
Controll lesser Demons if they are skilled enough. Giants machines that can level city's.
Portals can be made by skilled mages to travel the world within seconds.
Prayers to the light can heal the most grievous wounds and armies of the dead / demons attack us wherever we go.

So for a rogue not to be able to cloak is ... well ... disappointing. It is not that you are entirely invisible (like a mage could), just very hard to spot. People are still able to detect you if you are careless or stupid.

But like I said, emote things to give people a chance of detecting you.
Dunderholm of Ambermill
Dunderholm of Ambermill

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:11 pm

And big dollops of common sense! Dont stand on a box in a small room a meter from someone in stealth saying you are hidden for example.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunderholm of Ambermill Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:36 pm

Lexgrad wrote:And big dollops of common sense! Dont stand on a box in a small room a meter from someone in stealth saying you are hidden for example.

Ghe,.. and of course that Razz
Dunderholm of Ambermill
Dunderholm of Ambermill

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Morinth Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Never mind that it was an insane necro-post (Hur hur Lex, necro, get it?), but you could be on that box cause you OOCly can't reach the rafters!
Morinth
Morinth

Character sheet
Name: Captain Morinth
Title: Queen of the Pirates! (self-proclaimed!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down